Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you like to see us play in the quarterfinal?

Barcelona
      13 (13.1%)
      Real Madrid
      15 (15.2%)
      Juventus
      5 (5.1%)
      Bayern Munich
      4 (4%)
      Roma
      38 (38.4%)
      Sevilla
      22 (22.2%)
      Manchester City
      2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Champions League Quarterfinal Draw - March 16

Read 42311 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Champions League Quarterfinal Draw - March 16
      Reply #345: Mar 20, 2018 02:20:09 pm
      and yet your manager says you have no heritage, I'm sure Ferguson must love to hear that.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't of gone down well.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #346: Mar 20, 2018 02:21:44 pm
      Not for long, not for long, by all means give Maureen another £300 million to piss away on players who don't fit and who he falls out with whilst playing shithouse last decade tactics.

If he wins us another two trophies next year I won't complain. Still might win one this year too  ;D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #347: Mar 20, 2018 02:34:13 pm
      If he wins us another two trophies next year I won't complain. Still might win one this year too  ;D

You'll park the bus against Spurs and if you somehow get through that game then you'll do the same thing against Chelsea in the final. Even Southampton.

If you win it then fair enough but as I say that's not for me that. I couldn't get behind that. I couldn't travel to Wembley for a semi final match knowing I'm going to watch Tottenham play football for 90minutes while my team play a back 6 with three holding midfielders and we have 30% possession all game.

We will always have a football hatred for one another, but I accept your Manchester United, you're a massive club, and I just can't understand how any of your fans could genuinely get behind that approach, even if you win it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #348: Mar 20, 2018 02:48:12 pm
      You'll park the bus against Spurs and if you somehow get through that game then you'll do the same thing against Chelsea in the final. Even Southampton.

If you win it then fair enough but as I say that's not for me that. I couldn't get behind that. I couldn't travel to Wembley for a semi final match knowing I'm going to watch Tottenham play football for 90minutes while my team play a back 6 with three holding midfielders and we have 30% possession all game.

We will always have a football hatred for one another, but I accept your Manchester United, you're a massive club, and I just can't understand how any of your fans could genuinely get behind that approach, even if you win it.

Agreed - that sort of bus parking nonsense is fine if your team is considerably weaker on and off the field in a financial sense but for a club that has spent over £300m it is absolutely pathetic.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #349: Mar 20, 2018 02:58:46 pm

Like I said I'm happy to park the bus if we go 2-0 up in a final but fully understand fans who don't, yourself included.

Can I just say I don't have this hatred like so many fans do in our respected clubs. From my side it's a rivalry thing and one that I love when we play each other. It's unfortunate we have fans that want to fight each other which is very very sad.

Your post come across as very constructive and not a hater but more like a rival. I'm probably wrong but wouldn't be the first time.  ;D You have my full respect anyway and like reading your comments.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #350: Mar 20, 2018 10:47:48 pm
      One of my favourite periods of supporting this club was that time when we used to play Chelsea seemingly every week in Europe/Cups and league, and that was rivalry. Two clubs, going after each other and genuinely no idea who could come out on top due to how close we were tactically (at the time, and history dictates it, Chelsea had the better team)

But watching Utd, who have spent so much money on players heralded as incredible, to play the way they do against us, and somehow F***ing win is heartbreaking. Give me the way we play every week, and at least I’ll enjoy my football with a smile on my face every time we hit 4+ in a game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #351: Mar 20, 2018 11:22:39 pm
      Like I said I'm happy to park the bus if we go 2-0 up in a final but fully understand fans who don't, yourself included.

Can I just say I don't have this hatred like so many fans do in our respected clubs. From my side it's a rivalry thing and one that I love when we play each other. It's unfortunate we have fans that want to fight each other which is very very sad.

Your post come across as very constructive and not a hater but more like a rival. I'm probably wrong but wouldn't be the first time.  ;D You have my full respect anyway and like reading your comments.
      For the money United spent on their players, they should be the Ferrari of football teams along with Barca, City and Madrid.. but they are not, they are still slogging it out with people who spent half that much. Additionally, forget about history.. both teams won a lot.. you only quoted last 10 years, it is a short time in a football club. Presently Liverpool are a better team than united in striking but united are better in midfield. FA Cup is only one step up from a mickey mouse cup now, League and Champions League are the big cups and this season United are not in quarter final, Manchester City v Liverpool in quarter so one of your rivals are guarenteed semi finalists. 
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #352: Mar 21, 2018 01:44:47 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      You have a short memory mate. We weren't negative under either manager. Both preferred building teams from the back rather than our Jürgen who seems to prefer building his team from the front but we were still very attacking under both houllier and Rafa. Both managers had a decent balance and they had a good understanding of defence and attack.

With Rafa we beat Real Madrid 4-0, a Ferguson man united away 4-1...and that season we scored the most goals in the league, we smashed the European record by beating besiktas 8-0, we beat Barca at the nou camp and are still the only English side to do so, came back from the dead and scored 3 against Milan...i could go on and on but the point being you don't get those results by parking the bus.

I could give similar examples with houllier too but I won't bother. The point being is I thoroughly enjoyed our success under both of those managers and I had great days out in the finals and at all the games leading up to them. I never once felt we were negative or boring. We were solid yes, very solid and organised under Rafa in particular, but some of the football was sublime at times too.

I've watched united a lot under mourinho and they bore me to tears. They were incredibly negative in Seville but they came back with a good result. Instead of going for it in the second leg they used the same negative tactics and they got what they deserved. Their luck finally ran out and they were exposed by what I consider a mediocre team.

So I care about how we win. I just couldn't get behind a mourinho team. It isn't just about silverware for me. I also want to feel proud of my team and have some sort of satisfaction of being the best.  I want entertainment too obviously. 

We will get there with klopp and as i said, it'll taste so much sweeter. The mancs can shove their mourinho/pulis tactics up their arse.

They are not a mediocre side. They're in the European Cup quarter final, having already played us and the mancs, and have a solid recent European record. They're not amateurs you know. Their league season may not be great, but it's never going to look great compared to the big 2. And our own league looks a joke this year, given that the winner was known before Christmas.

We parked the bus plenty of times in Europe with Houllier and Benitez, as you see below.

Houllier:
      Sep 2000: v R Bucharest 0-0
      Feb 2001: v Roma 0-1
      Mar 2001: v Porto 0-0
      Apr 2001: v Barcelona 0-0
      Sep 2001: v Dortmund 0-0
      Apr 2002: v B Leverkusen 1-0
      Sep 2002: v Valencia 0-2
      Mar 2003: v Celtic 0-2
      Sep 2003: v Ljubljana 1-1
      Nov 2003: v S Bucharest 1-0
      Mar 2004: v Marseille 1-2

Benitez:
      Aug 2004: v Graz 0-1
      Sep 2004: v Olympiakos 0-1
      Nov 2004: v Monaco 0-1
      Apr 2005: v Juventus 0-0
      Apr 2005: v Chelsea 0-0
      Aug 2005: v CSKA Sofia 0-1
      Sep 2005: v Chelsea 0-0
      Nov 2005: v Betis 0-0
      Dec 2005: v Chelsea 0-0
      Feb 2006: v Benfica 0-1
      Sep 2006: v PSV 0-0
      Apr 2007: v Chelsea 0-1
      Sep 2007: v Porto 1-1
      Oct 2007: v Besiktas 1-2
      Aug 2008: v Liege 0-0
      Oct 2008: v A Madrid 1-1
      Nov 2008: v Marseille 1-0
      Sep 2009: v Fiorentina 0-2
      Mar 2010: v Lille 0-1
      Apr 2010: v Benfica 1-2
      Apr 2010: v A Madrid 0-1

Dortmund was great, Istanbul was wonderful. But I'm a Liverpool fan so I don't have a short memory. There was 10 years of regular bus parking and dour, functional football above from the pair of them and if we're honest, it wasn't much fun to watch, even the few times it was effective. Today we win 5-0 and 7-0 away in Europe, go 3 up in half an hour. A different world to the above, and have 20 shots per game home and away. So at least we entertain, if the results go wrong. We'll have plenty more chances to score goals in the quarter final, assuming everyone stays on the pitch.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #353: Mar 21, 2018 03:58:42 am
      Why's a Manc active in this thread after they got knocked out?

Killing the buzz.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #354: Mar 21, 2018 04:08:57 am
      They are not a mediocre side. They're in the European Cup quarter final, having already played us and the mancs, and have a solid recent European record. They're not amateurs you know. Their league season may not be great, but it's never going to look great compared to the big 2. And our own league looks a joke this year, given that the winner was known before Christmas.

We parked the bus plenty of times in Europe with Houllier and Benitez, as you see below.

Houllier:

Benitez:

Dortmund was great, Istanbul was wonderful. But I'm a Liverpool fan so I don't have a short memory. There was 10 years of regular bus parking and dour, functional football above from the pair of them and if we're honest, it wasn't much fun to watch, even the few times it was effective. Today we win 5-0 and 7-0 away in Europe, go 3 up in half an hour. A different world to the above, and have 20 shots per game home and away. So at least we entertain, if the results go wrong. We'll have plenty more chances to score goals in the quarter final, assuming everyone stays on the pitch.

I can't be arsed going through the history books to be honest and looking for a good result to counter a poor one and vice versa. You've just picked a load of poor results out. I can counter it and pick a load of great ones out too but I can't be arsed mate. Its irrelevant right now.

You have a short memory in my opinion because even though we were defensively sound at times, we weren't negative and we certainly weren't boring. I find it a little insulting that you're calling our teams under Rafa negative, or that we parked the bus under him, when that man gave me some of the best nights I've ever experienced as a red.

I agree with you that he focused on defence at times. He had game plans, especially away from home in Europe. But we still had a flair about us. We were still able and tried to win games. 

Atletico madrid are defensively sound. They're solid. But they still attack. They're great at going forward.

The juventus teams over the years have been the same.

Even Chelsea last season when they won the league. They were so hard to beat, very difficult to break down, but they were very good going forward too.

You have to find the right balance. Defence is as important as attack. There isn't anything wrong with being defensive and it's not a criticism but all I'm saying is man united and mourinho take it to a whole new level.

They're a massive club, absolutely huge, probably the second biggest in the world behind Real Madrid, and they've just played sevilla in the knock out rounds and parked the bus in both legs. You wouldn't get either houllier or Rafa doing that. And if you did, then I stand by what I say, I wouldn't be F***ing happy even if we got through. I'm a match goer and I couldn't get behind it.

And it's a difference of opinion on sevilla. They aren't what they were a couple of seasons ago. It's like parking the bus against Leicester and saying they won the league two seasons ago you know.

Sevilla aren't a top team by any means and if you haven't watched them that much this season then even our two games against them should tell you that. They might have got two draws but we all know it was our school boy comical defending that gifted them those points. The same way we've gifted Bournemouth and sh*te like that points too.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #355: Mar 21, 2018 04:59:10 am

Houllier:

Benitez:

Looking at those results lfc you sure Mourhino wasn't your manager.  ;D

Those days look well and truly gone now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #356: Mar 21, 2018 10:17:18 am

A good number of manc supporters are sick of Mourinho and his tunnel vision tactics, at this point I think those who remain behind him are doing so as a misguided sense of loyalty to the club.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #357: Mar 21, 2018 11:22:20 am

Houllier:

Benitez:

If you’re going to label the Rafa era as park the bus football then you really do know very little about the game (or your hatred for Rafa has once again blinded you from reality).

If you’re just going to pick random low scoring games then you could even do the same for Klopp - 0-0 and 1-0 v Augsburg, 1-0 in Villarreal, 1-0 in Kazan etc. Does it tell the true story? Of course it doesn’t.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #358: Mar 21, 2018 11:25:35 am
      Looking at those results lfc you sure Mourhino wasn't your manager.  ;D

Those days look well and truly gone now.
      I think your attitude changed a bit since the CL exit. You've gone from somebody who speaks logical with friendly banter to "look how many trophies we've won, you've won nothing and glory days are over". It's boardering on wummery. Personally I think Liverpool came on leaps and bounds to get in the top 4 a few more tweaks we'll give city a run for their money. I'm not going to say united are a bad team, they may win trophies, but not the CL. Jose has a bad record in CL since Porto and it's because to beat the best you can't just park  the bus. There's a difference between playing a tight game and parking the bus. I'm not saying this to put United down, since they have a lot of quality players and can win things... The league can't be won on a defensive setup because a draw is 1 point.
      Enjoy FA CUP, League cup and Europa League, because under Jose and defensive football these trophies are what you'll be limited to.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #359: Mar 21, 2018 01:10:22 pm
      I think your attitude changed a bit since the CL exit. You've gone from somebody who speaks logical with friendly banter to "look how many trophies we've won, you've won nothing and glory days are over". It's boardering on wummery.

Not at all Rib.. what goes around comes around, or should that be what comes around goes around.  ;D I took plenty when Sevilla gave us a bashing last week. I'd never been so popular  :D its all part of the banter. I can take the rub downs well, perhaps you should take a leaf out of my book.

Every time we've had the banter..(( wummery as you call it )).. is when i retaliate to United getting beat and you lads pour it on me. Never have you seen me WUM when Liverpool get beat as i simply don't post and let you lads calm down.

If you can't take me giving you banter back then that's very sad as i take it all the time.

Regards pal...
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2018 01:24:10 pm by Keith Singleton »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #360: Mar 21, 2018 03:13:58 pm
      Not at all Rib.. what goes around comes around, or should that be what comes around goes around.  ;D I took plenty when Sevilla gave us a bashing last week. I'd never been so popular  :D its all part of the banter. I can take the rub downs well, perhaps you should take a leaf out of my book.

Every time we've had the banter..(( wummery as you call it )).. is when i retaliate to United getting beat and you lads pour it on me. Never have you seen me WUM when Liverpool get beat as i simply don't post and let you lads calm down.

If you can't take me giving you banter back then that's very sad as i take it all the time.

Regards pal...
      Banter is one thing, but posting the Manchester United list of achievements followed by "you won't win anything soon" is a bit further than banter imho. I have no problem with banter at all, but like everything there is a line.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #361: Mar 21, 2018 03:19:46 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      I can't be arsed going through the history books to be honest and looking for a good result to counter a poor one and vice versa. You've just picked a load of poor results out. I can counter it and pick a load of great ones out too but I can't be arsed mate. Its irrelevant right now.

You have a short memory in my opinion because even though we were defensively sound at times, we weren't negative and we certainly weren't boring. I find it a little insulting that you're calling our teams under Rafa negative, or that we parked the bus under him, when that man gave me some of the best nights I've ever experienced as a red.

I agree with you that he focused on defence at times. He had game plans, especially away from home in Europe. But we still had a flair about us. We were still able and tried to win games. 

Atletico madrid are defensively sound. They're solid. But they still attack. They're great at going forward.

The juventus teams over the years have been the same.

Even Chelsea last season when they won the league. They were so hard to beat, very difficult to break down, but they were very good going forward too.

You have to find the right balance. Defence is as important as attack. There isn't anything wrong with being defensive and it's not a criticism but all I'm saying is man united and mourinho take it to a whole new level.

And if you did, then I stand by what I say, I wouldn't be F***ing happy even if we got through. I'm a match goer and I couldn't get behind it.

And it's a difference of opinion on sevilla. They aren't what they were a couple of seasons ago.

Sevilla aren't a top team by any means and if you haven't watched them that much this season then even our two games against them should tell you that. They might have got two draws but we all know it was our comical defending that gifted them those points. The same way we've gifted Bournemouth and sh*te like that points too.

They scored a fair number of goals past us. 1 or 2 were defensive errors, but you can't put them all down to the defence. They've just gone to the toilet and won. Something we couldn't do, and plenty of others before them couldn't either. They were second seeds in our group as well, so they're a decent side, and if we face them again, it'll be another tough game.

I didn't pick out European results. I went through a lot of them, even left some out, it's not exhaustive. The above list may have focused on European results, but I could post up many more. Everyone accepted it when it led to success, the questions only came when it failed. People only started to question Houllier when the 7 point lead we had earned quickly shrunk to nothing, and eventually a 5th place finish.

Look at the teams left in the competition.  7 of the 8 quarter finalists are primarily attack minded sides. Even Roma, who won the Chelsea/Atletico group. So attacking football has been rewarded, and those who set out to get a point here, nick a 0-0 there, have been left behind.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #362: Mar 21, 2018 03:59:07 pm
      Mediocre you say! Perhaps we should look at that decipher just what it means?

Now there is no doubt as a neutral you would very much prefer watching Liverpool play than United this year by a country mile. Goals ratio presently, Liverpool 73. United 58.

Whilst our defence is up with the best clubs in the league this year most fans love exciting/attacking football which is very much lacking at the moment. Yes we know this because it's the Mourhino way. Doesn't matter what I think about it as a fan I have to except it. Of course it isn't the United way and have to tolerate it fo the time being.

I question your thoughts on Seville having more rights than United to be in the competition. We won a European trophy that garunteed us getting in the CL. You guys won nothing and got in by the top 4 ruling..

Trophies won by our teams in the last 10 years.

Manchester United honours

Community Shield 2007
      Premier League 2007
      Community Shield 2008
      Premier League 2008
      Champions League 2008
      Club World Cup 2008
      League Cup 2009
      Premier League 2009
      Community Shield 2010
      League Cup 2010
      Community Shield 2011
      Premier League 2011
      Community Shield 2013
      Premier League 2013
      FA Cup 2016
      Community Shield 2016
      League Cup 2017
      Europa Cup 2017

Liverpool honours

League Cup 2011

That sir isn't even mediocrity. Until you get trophies in the cabinet it means nothing from a fans perspective. In a ideal world we want exciting football and trophies which unfortunately isn't always the case. If I have a choice from the above stats i choose the former from the latter every time.

Like I say though, you deserve your place this year and United don't. Stats show we're never far away even when things go against us.

Your right though, life goes on and United continue to fill those cabinets.
      I am not afraid to say that i was the one who gave Keith the plus 1....
      As I said to him it is "Brutal, but true"...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #363: Mar 21, 2018 04:21:28 pm

The FA Cup, next leg away to Spurs, then Chelsea in the final, best of luck with that, if you win it you'll have earned it, for once.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #364: Mar 21, 2018 05:27:30 pm

Houllier:

Benitez:

You've just gone through the record books and typed in all the matches that resulted within a goal or two of each other. I doubt you remember even half of those matches.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #365: Mar 21, 2018 05:33:45 pm
      Banter is one thing, but posting the Manchester United list of achievements followed by "you won't win anything soon" is a bit further than banter imho. I have no problem with banter at all, but like everything there is a line.

Rib,  i have plenty of time for you as you know. However, your simply wrong on this one... Posting a teams stats/achievements is not wummery. Its facts. Chill mate.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #366: Mar 21, 2018 06:34:53 pm
      Rib,  i have plenty of time for you as you know. However, your simply wrong on this one... Posting a teams stats/achievements is not wummery. Its facts. Chill mate.

Gonna stick my nose into this one.Nah its a Liverpool forum/internet pub,i get you've got mates on here but someone walks into a Liverpool pub and mouths off like that,you'd be asked to shut up or get out,no? I've no time for the guy you're arguing with but shouting united's record doesn't sit right to me.But hey not my site.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #367: Mar 21, 2018 08:45:12 pm
      Quote from chats
      If you’re just going to pick random low scoring games then you could even do the same for Klopp - 0-0 and 1-0 v Augsburg, 1-0 in Villarreal, 1-0 in Kazan etc. Does it tell the true story? Of course it doesn’t.

Yeah, you picked 4 games out. The one against Villarreal maybe. The rest, no.

Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      You've just gone through the record books and typed in all the matches that resulted within a goal or two of each other. I doubt you remember even half of those matches.

I remember them all, watched most of them live. Playing the way they did was high risk football. If something went wrong, that was usually curtains. At least today, we're trying to win matches by scoring goals, not just keeping them out.

It's 2 weeks to the quarter final. A celebration of all out attacking football, not a bus in sight.

Quick Reply