Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Loris Karius
      4 (5.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (10.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      22 (28.9%)
      Emre Can
      8 (10.5%)
      James Milner
      7 (9.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      13 (17.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (14.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: Mar 14, 2018 02:25:31 pm

Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24202 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Manchester United 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Mar 10, 2018 09:04:36 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,608 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #599: Mar 10, 2018 09:41:34 pm
      Spot on Racer. Frustrating as hell to watch and see the players not helping each other.

Trent looked terrified of Rashford - whether from youth teams or what but seemed to know he had him for pace and was terrified.

I wasn't sure whether he was coming inside to cover the hole left by Lovren or trying to ensure he didn't get caught wrong side of Rashford, but it resulted in the same outcome. Clinical from Rashford, but a horror show from the LFC duo. 3 at the back would have been better than that.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #600: Mar 10, 2018 10:10:06 pm
      sh*t DAY AT THE OFFICE!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #601: Mar 10, 2018 10:17:17 pm
      Quote from Ribapuru
      gets paused for a few minutes for VAR, I would rather that and come away with something then leave a few minutes earlier with nothing. VAR favours teams that regularly get screwed by referees, we lose about 5-10 points a season through bad refereeing and we don't get the decisions going in our favour to make up for it. United have more to fear about VAR than us, so to me VAR is a no brainer.

It's been a no brainier for about 30 years, but the luddites that run the game had no brains. So we routinely get screwed in that dump practically every year.

I was otherwise engaged, so didn't see much of the game, not that there seemed all that much to see. But I did see VVD's free header that missed an unguarded post from our corner, live. We don't get many chances in this fixture nowadays so chances like that can't be missed. But they are and they get punished. Sure enough, 2 minutes later, (if that) the ball is in the net.

I have seen the penalty appeals since, and surprise surprise, like almost every other year, we were robbed. Next year we'll have VAR, so if one of our players is fouled in the box, we will get the penalty(ies) we should get for it. Unfortunately it's too late for this year but I swear this will be the VERY LAST TIME we get screwed in that rotten dump. Refereeing is about to enter the 21st Century.

And Thank Christ for that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #602: Mar 10, 2018 10:48:16 pm
      Sad day,sad result,I am afraid A.A and Lovren left us completely exposed at the back.My one wish would be to draw Manure in the champions league  and give the bas**rds the hiding of their life over 2 legs.If we get a neutral REF we can't lose.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #603: Mar 10, 2018 11:13:40 pm
      Hard to believe we had nearly 70% possession, 13 corners to their 1 :o and Salah saw more of the ball when he took the corners than in open play.
      I can't think of one Man U player who stood out as their "leader" today, we just made them look good all over the pitch.
      I know it's the obvious cliche thing to say but that last minute winner they scored against Palace on Monday night was like a shot in the arm for them and they'll probably do what they did today on Seville on Tuesday.

Disappointed with a lot of our lads today, but I'm not gonna slag them all off as I've applauded them for the majority of the whole season.
      We've played some fantastic football and brushed teams aside and I'm certain we'll see more of that before the end of May.

As much as I hate to say it but we were taught a lesson today, or rather the moaning one taught Jürgen a tactical lesson.
      I'd like to think he'll learn from it.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #604: Mar 10, 2018 11:28:54 pm
      This isn't a knee jerk. I know we've been playing well of late but a few points need addressing here.

I had one issue with the starting 11 and that was Milner. Forget about his work horse attitude or how many assists he's got in the champions league this season playing against pub teams, he just isn't good enough at this level. He doesn't have the quality required to play in a Jürgen klopp team.

I'm not sure I'd agree on lack of quality but rather one of a lack of pace. His legs simply aren't as fast as his brain and unfortunately in a Klopp team against top level opposition, you need both. The Champions League is generally at a slower pace compared with the Premier League and he simply doesn't keep up with the pace. I'd limit him to that competition where his experience is invaluable but his lack of pace isn't a liability.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #605: Mar 10, 2018 11:34:28 pm
      Well I had the scoreline right, just had the teams switched. Really didn't see there being any way we lose this. Didn't get to watch much of this one as I was at my boy's track meet all day. Really bummed about the result, but from here on out,  we should have the easier go with teams and I still fancy us to get back on track and make some real noise in the Champion's League. One bad result doesn't change what  we need to do from here forward. We go again.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #606: Mar 10, 2018 11:35:34 pm
      It's been a no brainier for about 30 years, but the luddites that run the game had no brains. So we routinely get screwed in that dump practically every year.

I was otherwise engaged, so didn't see much of the game, not that there seemed all that much to see. But I did see VVD's free header that missed an unguarded post from our corner, live. We don't get many chances in this fixture nowadays so chances like that can't be missed. But they are and they get punished. Sure enough, 2 minutes later, (if that) the ball is in the net.

I have seen the penalty appeals since, and surprise surprise, like almost every other year, we were robbed. Next year we'll have VAR, so if one of our players is fouled in the box, we will get the penalty(ies) we should get for it. Unfortunately it's too late for this year but I swear this will be the VERY LAST TIME we get screwed in that rotten dump. Refereeing is about to enter the 21st Century.

And Thank Christ for that.

Not sure VAR is premier league bound next season.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #607: Mar 10, 2018 11:36:53 pm
      Sad day,sad result,I am afraid A.A and Lovren left us completely exposed at the back.My one wish would be to draw Manure in the champions league  and give the bas**rds the hiding of their life over 2 legs.If we get a neutral REF we can't lose.
      Bill I can see how anyone can say AA "left us completely exposed at the back." made one little error, the deflection could have happen look a Bailly og He had a massive game up until that point. Take away his and Rashford's first and they were still good value for the 1-0.
      Jose identified I think Four areas were he could get joy...
      (a) putting Lukaku on Lovren (worked fairly well)

(b) Rashford on TAA (A side from the first goal TAA did fairly well)

(c) Young on Salah ( Had Mo in his pocket all day)

(d) Negated the high press by play the ball long from the back

Out thought today, and Klopp neither had the plan nor the personal to make a difference... And that's not having pop at Klopp, just simply stating the facts
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #608: Mar 11, 2018 12:29:21 am
      Must feel sh*t playing under  Moronio.  Especially players with finesse the likes of Sanchez, Mata, Rashford, Martial....etc.   Watching match of the day and seeing Mane, Salah and Firmino dancing around in the opposition.  Must think to themselves the donkey of a manager that tells the De gea by pass them and long towards another donkey Lakaku.   I feel for them.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #609: Mar 11, 2018 01:01:46 am
      Watched the game. Utd were a bit luckier you would say. But spending that much cash to defend second place with 2 banks of defenders sat in the box and route 1 up front, no thanks.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #610: Mar 11, 2018 01:12:48 am
      I'm not sure I'd agree on lack of quality but rather one of a lack of pace. His legs simply aren't as fast as his brain and unfortunately in a Klopp team against top level opposition, you need both. The Champions League is generally at a slower pace compared with the Premier League and he simply doesn't keep up with the pace. I'd limit him to that competition where his experience is invaluable but his lack of pace isn't a liability.

I think he lacks the quality required too.

If you look at the champions Man City, he gets nowhere near that team. He doesn't get anywhere near Spurs or united team either who are likely to complete the top four with us.

I know you've mentioned the pace of the Prem at the top end, but even the best European teams milner gets nowhere near them. Technically he isn't good enough and work rate and professionalism just isn't enough at this level.

Klopp has taken us forward and we are a few pieces away from completing the jigsaw. We need to upgrade on a few players now and really add that top quality to our first 11. It has nothing to do with legs, because we have the same problems whether Milner plays or not, the same applies to Can, hendo and even gini.  We just need some better footballers.

Our CMs are all ok/good players but we need better. We need players who are a level above them now to take us forward.

Let's be honest, if we put our cms up for sale tomorrow where are they going?  Milner probably goes to Everton. Henderson similar sort of team. Gini probably goes to a top club but in a poor league so Ajax perhaps. Can will get his move to juve but it won't be long until they figure out he isn't good enough and he will be a squad player at best there.

The CM position is a big weakness for us in my opinion and it needs addressing.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,565 posts | 391 
      Reply #611: Mar 11, 2018 02:08:36 am
      i still dont believe we will get anywhere(winning trophies) with lovren in the side. weve a huge sample size now. just isnt good enough.

shame to see TAA have a rough game like that, hopefully will be a big learning experience.

hard to really judge the game, as it was done at 2-0 really.  they let us have the ball and just defended and never really looked like conceding. say what you like about mourinho he knows how to set a team up.

Mane tried hard but his passing was  horrific. midfield wasnt up to much. i dont want Milner starting in these games.

should definitely have had minimum one pen, standard horrific refereeing display.

feels like a hell of a long time since we beat them :(
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #612: Mar 11, 2018 05:03:29 am
      i still dont believe we will get anywhere(winning trophies) with lovren in the side. weve a huge sample size now. just isnt good enough.

If it wasn't already determined, the stupid foul Lovren committed out by the touchline in the 2nd half cemented the fact that Klopp will buy another center back this summer. Klopp's reaction showed just how exasperated he was. He has who he has for the rest of the season, and he always publicly supports his players, but Jürgen knows he needs someone better next to Virgil.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2018 01:22:24 pm by Robby The Z »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #613: Mar 11, 2018 09:04:44 am
      I don't get the love for emre Can from so many of our supporters. I don't understand why so many are desperate for him to stay. He has a good game every 3 or 4 matches and is sh*t for the rest.

He should have been the one going up for the two headers with Lukaku if you ask me. The knock on effect of it being Lovren and Lovren losing the battle is there for everyone to see.

Surpised to see Mane getting so many votes. I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away in the final third yesterday. Poor quality.

Next season I expect to see a decent wedge being spent on a CB but for me the midfield needs a complete overhaul first and foremost. I thought it did last Summer to be honest.

Karius - at this moment I am happy with him. I'm not going to say he's the answer just yet as there hasn't been enough time  but I think he's doing well.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #614: Mar 11, 2018 09:35:56 am
      He should have been the one going up for the two headers with Lukaku if you ask me. The knock on effect of it being Lovren and Lovren losing the battle is there for everyone to see.

Surpised to see Mane getting so many votes. I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away in the final third yesterday. Poor quality.

Next season I expect to see a decent wedge being spent on a CB but for me the midfield needs a complete overhaul first and foremost. I thought it did last Summer to be honest.

Karius - at this moment I am happy with him. I'm not going to say he's the answer just yet as there hasn't been enough time  but I think he's doing well.

Spot on re the headers - one of my biggest bugbears without Henderson is the way the midfield empties.

Soon as we’re turned the onus has to be on the defensive midfielders to help the CBs and squeeze the forward.

Lovren was indecisive but you can’t win every 50/50....because there’s two people in there.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #615: Mar 11, 2018 01:38:46 pm
      Not sure VAR is premier league bound next season.

It isn’t mate, hey ruled it out.  Week or so ago and thank fuc....k for that. It’s been embarrassing just about every time in the cup this year
      Harrisimo

• 8,257 posts | 1390 
      Reply #616: Mar 11, 2018 02:39:55 pm
      I think he lacks the quality required too.

If you look at the champions Man City, he gets nowhere near that team. He doesn't get anywhere near Spurs or united team either who are likely to complete the top four with us.

I know you've mentioned the pace of the Prem at the top end, but even the best European teams milner gets nowhere near them. Technically he isn't good enough and work rate and professionalism just isn't enough at this level.

Klopp has taken us forward and we are a few pieces away from completing the jigsaw. We need to upgrade on a few players now and really add that top quality to our first 11. It has nothing to do with legs, because we have the same problems whether Milner plays or not, the same applies to Can, hendo and even gini.  We just need some better footballers.

Our CMs are all ok/good players but we need better. We need players who are a level above them now to take us forward.

Let's be honest, if we put our cms up for sale tomorrow where are they going?  Milner probably goes to Everton. Henderson similar sort of team. Gini probably goes to a top club but in a poor league so Ajax perhaps. Can will get his move to juve but it won't be long until they figure out he isn't good enough and he will be a squad player at best there.

The CM position is a big weakness for us in my opinion and it needs addressing.

So the jigsaw is, according to your last few sentences, miles off and not " a few pieces away".
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #617: Mar 11, 2018 02:39:58 pm
      It isn’t mate, hey ruled it out.  Week or so ago and thank fuc....k for that. It’s been embarrassing just about every time in the cup this year

They need to do something though. We had at least two stone wall pens turned down yesterday and a clear red should have been given to their lad who karate kicked Mane towards the end (granted, the match was probably gone by that point).

Say what you want about our underperformance, those decisions and the pen against Spurs could play a major role at seasons end.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #618: Mar 11, 2018 03:59:27 pm
      Taught a lesson by old Jose. Still so F***ing gutted. Watch spurs smash Bournemouth 0-4 now to really rub it in.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,215 posts | 916 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #619: Mar 11, 2018 04:00:13 pm
      Rashford should have had a yellow card for going into the crowd as well
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #620: Mar 11, 2018 06:00:38 pm
      Well I had to work all weekend so could only listen to the match on a crabby old radio. Pretty well got the gist of it though. Only one team trying to play footy again. Maureen the master tactician playing the same tactics that get fat sam, puliss, moyes, pardew etc. etc. F***ing slated week after week. And that chicken ref, stone wall pen turned down. Although he gave a really soft one against us in the derby for a calvert lewin dive. So perhaps theres some other motive the ref has. Certainly not doing us any favours.
      Thought we played well from the bits Ive seen, but just failing to break through often enough. Certainly deserved something from the game, if not the win.
      Whatever, onward and upwards. Haven't voted motm as I haven't seen enough of the action to be fair. W.T.F Ruined my weekend, and my F***ing week. Month come to that. Well pissed off but gotta get on with it.
      Got a spawned little man who works with me. Think it'll be a case of,  shut the F**k up, or get battered, or F**k off home.  or all three.

Quick Reply