Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

TOPMAN shirt under fire

Read 4682 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: TOPMAN shirt under fire
      Reply #23: Mar 16, 2018 06:28:37 pm
      The very fact that it has been manufactured by a Manchester firm says it all for me. Good spadework by Huyton there, finding that out. Listen to a lot of Marley and i haven't heard of the song myself.

Like Huyton said, with the release date as well there are far too many coincidences here.

I would hope that this gets investigated, i highly doubt it will though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #24: Mar 16, 2018 07:21:52 pm
      I'm not sure everytime something is red with the number 96 on it, it is meant in connection to Hillsborough. 96 is a number and red is a colour, neither can be copywrited, even if it were connected, wearing it could be showing support. I don't understand why some people thought Topman were mocking the LFC fans and I doubt a fashion brand would do that, so I'm personally thinking it's the politically correct bregade who try to make outrage about everything. TOPMAN have not really said anything bad I don't think.

In a nutshell.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #25: Mar 16, 2018 08:37:09 pm

Well in that case, all they had to do is put a 19 in front of the 96, and all would be forgiven, surely ?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Mar 16, 2018 09:33:56 pm
      But that song, a someone noted, is hardly one of Marley's iconic numbers. And even if you knew it, you would be hard-pressed to recall the year it came out - just as you would be hard pressed to think that the year of release was such a prominent thing about the song that it would be dominant on the shirt.

If people talk about the Sgt. Pepper album, they don't make a big deal about it being in 1967, even if you might be more likely to know that record's release date.

To me, even without the benefit of English or British cultural background, it really seems to me on a bit of examination that whoever designed this knew EXACTLY what they were doing and that is beyond depraved.

96 wasn't even the release year - it was the re release year! That's what makes their excuse such an insult.

Sgt. Pepper was re released last year yet who would put a lyric from that album with '17 next to it?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #27: Mar 16, 2018 09:47:41 pm

Well in that case, all they had to do is put a 19 in front of the 96, and all would be forgiven, surely ?

Did you catch the highlighted words in the post being replied to?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #28: Mar 16, 2018 09:49:58 pm
      Too many coincidences with this. Almost certainly designed by a nasty little ManU fan. The Bob Marley thing is a prepared excuse, it's bollocks.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #29: Mar 16, 2018 09:51:06 pm
      Did you catch the highlighted words in the post being replied to?

Sorry fella, bad day so should have read it properly, or not responded, no offence meant.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #30: Mar 17, 2018 12:54:36 pm
      Sorry fella, bad day so should have read it properly, or not responded, no offence meant.

None taken mate no worries.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Mar 17, 2018 01:06:00 pm
      I saw this on Twitter a couple of days ago and thought it was a Hillsborough tribute shirt at first. Don't believe this is a confidence. Some sad bas**rds out there!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #32: Mar 17, 2018 02:20:34 pm
      The very fact that it has been manufactured by a Manchester firm says it all for me. Good spadework by Huyton there, finding that out. Listen to a lot of Marley and i haven't heard of the song myself.

Like Huyton said, with the release date as well there are far too many coincidences here.

I would hope that this gets investigated, i highly doubt it will though.

The lyric on the top is wrong too!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #33: Mar 17, 2018 02:29:18 pm
      I saw this on Twitter a couple of days ago and thought it was a Hillsborough tribute shirt at first. Don't believe this is a confidence. coincidence . Some sad Bas**rds out there!

Is that what you meant?

No it isn't a coincidence.
      Too close to be that and everyone knows the significance ...... blatant sick plagiarism to sell the product.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34: Mar 17, 2018 03:00:56 pm
      Is that what you meant?

No it isn't a coincidence.
      Too close to be that and everyone knows the significance ...... blatant sick plagiarism to sell the product.

*Coincidence* That's the word indeed. It makes me sad that people can sink that low! 😩

Quick Reply