Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (5.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      104 (87.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2018 07:19:06 pm

Liverpool 5-0 Watford: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22507 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 5-0 Watford: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #207: Mar 17, 2018 08:51:03 pm
      Fun day overall. Pleased with Sadio as a playmaker and of course Mo for sublime performance. Hope Emre Can is not too seriously injured (even though he drives me batty). Looked like his back which I think he's had a problem with before.

Only bad thing about today is  now it's two weeks without Liverpool football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #208: Mar 17, 2018 08:51:24 pm
      I rather a second rate nobody than Giggs. We are lucky we haven't any big players for Wales, imagine what that sleeze c**t manager of my country would do to their confidence. After worming his way into players wives and gf's bed they would come back distraught and in need of counciling.

Question for Wales is whether Giggs will bother turning up for these friendlies.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #209: Mar 17, 2018 08:56:03 pm
      Excellent from the team and I still felt we had a few more gears available if needed.

Salah v Suarez, it's tough to say who is the best right now, both superb players.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #210: Mar 17, 2018 09:04:53 pm
      Great win didn't even break sweat
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #211: Mar 17, 2018 09:06:10 pm
      Wasn’t able to see the game; just checked in on the score, holy crap, guess Mo took that last loss personal. Way to go Mo!!!!!!

Back to winning ways. I’ll take it.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #212: Mar 17, 2018 09:14:46 pm
       :lmao: boom boom boom

Bravo
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #213: Mar 17, 2018 09:21:34 pm
      Salah made scoring goals looked so easy today. I wanted to vote him as motm, who wouldn't? But I thought I might just give it to Mane this time,. He had a hand in many of the goals and unselfish. Mane was dog sh*t in the last game and i lambasted  him to no end. But, in all fairness, he had a hand in most of the goals today, and beginning to look like a midfield general to me, passes were decisive, fast and accurate. Firminho with a world class goal, what else can I say?. Everyone performed well, but Gomez has to be more decisive and  make more challenges and get closer to opposition players inside our box. I was hoping that Ings will get a goal but he has shown to use the tight spaces well, perhaps a bit rusty due to too long out of the game. I'm sure he will get sharper with more game time. Klopp probably thinks he has a future here, me too, give the lad more game time and who knows, he could be our very  David Fairclough Mark II.

Score and win apart, the happiest thing that I saw in this match is Mane and Salah closing ranks that I did not see before. both playing for themselves. Perhaps Klopp had a heart to heart talk to both to change their mindset and  this can be very dangerous to the opposition and such teamwork came at the right time when we are at the knock out stage of the CL.

Simply said, we are fast, we are furious and we are deadly on the attack and I'm sure the other 7 clubs remaining in the CL would silently wanted to avoid us. Let's hope we don;t give the madrids or barcelonas too much respect and we should do well.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #214: Mar 17, 2018 10:18:06 pm
      Salah made scoring goals looked so easy today. I wanted to vote him as motm, who wouldn't? But I thought I might just give it to Mane this time,. He had a hand in many of the goals and unselfish. Mane was dog sh*t in the last game and i lambasted  him to no end. But, in all fairness, he had a hand in most of the goals today, and beginning to look like a midfield general to me, passes were decisive, fast and accurate. Firminho with a world class goal, what else can I say?. Everyone performed well, but Gomez has to be more decisive and  make more challenges and get closer to opposition players inside our box. I was hoping that Ings will get a goal but he has shown to use the tight spaces well, perhaps a bit rusty due to too long out of the game. I'm sure he will get sharper with more game time. Klopp probably thinks he has a future here, me too, give the lad more game time and who knows, he could be our very  David Fairclough Mark II.

Score and win apart, the happiest thing that I saw in this match is Mane and Salah closing ranks that I did not see before. both playing for themselves. Perhaps Klopp had a heart to heart talk to both to change their mindset and  this can be very dangerous to the opposition and such teamwork came at the right time when we are at the knock out stage of the CL.

Simply said, we are fast, we are furious and we are deadly on the attack and I'm sure the other 7 clubs remaining in the CL would silently wanted to avoid us. Let's hope we don;t give the madrids or barcelonas too much respect and we should do well.

4 goals and Salah doesn’t get MoM?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #215: Mar 17, 2018 10:21:49 pm
      Brilliant result and we never really bust a gut for it..
      Watford were sh*te and you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Just a few observations for me ;
      Henderson, despite all his huffing and puffing across the middle of the park gave the ball away to many times and very nearly put us in the sh*t. another team on another day and we'd have been punished.
      Gomez will get better, but that right back position, especially with Lovren/Matip alongside is turning into our achilles heel and Jürgen needs to be aware that the likes of Maureen,Pepe, Conte and the likes have the players that can and will exploit that area.

On the plus side Mo Salah is a genius and I'm pretty certain he has velcro on his boots ;D
      That third goal was ridiculous
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #216: Mar 17, 2018 11:22:39 pm
      It goes without saying that Salah was MOTM but the thing that struck me today was how we never even got out of second gear. Watford were never in it, even at 0-0 because we always looked like we could go up through the gears. The gulf in class was there for all to see, and considering this is a side that needs substantial improvement to parts of its midfield, that says a lot about just how good we are right now. Salah needs to be signed up on a new contract at the end of the season to stop Europe's elite from sniffing around. Give the lad a payrise because he deserves to be our highest earner on this season's performance.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #217: Mar 17, 2018 11:26:46 pm
      we never even got out of second gear.
      i stopped reading here
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #218: Mar 17, 2018 11:27:47 pm
      3 points, clean sheet and Mo with another incredible performance to put him within touching distance of a Golden Boot.

What a night and performance.

How can you not be happy with that?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #219: Mar 17, 2018 11:30:09 pm
      If anyone didn't see Salah's first goal, here is the gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vhq9tlPAROkKc/giphy.gif
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2018 11:34:44 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #220: Mar 17, 2018 11:45:12 pm
      First half we had a lot of the ball but didn't create a lot of chances but we were clinical which is always good to see scoring 2 goals on 3 chances then the second half we just kept things rolling along. Great to have a big gap between Chelsea going into the international break and now cross fingers no one gets hurt and come back ready to go
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #221: Mar 18, 2018 01:04:47 am
      For those who like this sort of thing:

Opta stats:

This was Jürgen Klopp's 50th Premier League home game in charge of Liverpool (W28 D18 L4). The Reds have averaged 2.20 goals per game since Klopp took over - their highest goals per game ratio at Anfield in the competition under any manager.

Salah has scored 28 Premier League goals this season, only one African player has netted more in a single campaign (Didier Drogba 29 in 2009-10).

Salah is the first Egyptian player to score a Premier League hat-trick, with Egypt the 43rd nation overall and the 10th African country to provide a hat-trick scorer in the competition.

Salah scored four goals from his four shots - the first player to do so in the Premier League since Andrey Arshavin in April 2009, also at Anfield.

Roberto Firmino (3 assists) and Mo Salah (4 assists) have combined for seven goals in the Premier League this season - the joint-most by any duo, level with Sadio Mane (6 assists) and Mo Salah (1 assist).
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #222: Mar 18, 2018 01:07:49 am
      Watford away is tricky enough. Watford at home is a walk in the park. We won without really stretching ourselves.

Nice easy game going into the international break. The next home game is City, which will be a very different challenge. A 5-0 win then, and it will go down in the "legend match" archive.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #223: Mar 18, 2018 01:28:04 am
      It did my old heart the world of good to see us win 5-0,while MO had to be m.o.m. Firmino's goal had master class written all over it.Also Robbo continues to put in top class performances,well done lads .
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #224: Mar 18, 2018 02:55:17 am
      Well chuffed with the win. More importantly, I am not nervous about these games anymore. You get that familiar feeling that we will win against the "lesser" teams (after a long time) and that is a huge improvement.

With the international break coming up and a tricky away game to Palace (before a season defining week) who seem to be raising their games against the "bigger" teams this season, this was an important win and what a way to win the game.

And Salah, I bow to thee!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #225: Mar 18, 2018 03:43:00 am
      Nothing much to say apart from the mo salah show. What a signing this lad has been. Everything he touches just turns into goals. KDB will probably win player of the season because of city's freak form but mo deserves it, he has been the leagues best player this season, head and shoulders above anyone else.

I thought Watford were dire in truth. Thought their tactics were all wrong and half of their players didn't even want to be there today. That said, I'm taking nothing away from us. We can only beat whats infront us and it was a rout. We battered them 5-0 without really getting out of second gear.

As usual I always try and look for any weakness or any area in which we can perhaps improve on. This doesn't mean I'm not thrilled with the win, of course I am, but there is always room for improvement no matter how good you are.

Defensively I felt we were in complete control today. We were solid. But I do think the right back position is a concern now. Trent has been exposed a few times against top opposition and his inexperience has shown. Gomez today made a couple of little errors in there today and I don't think he's very comfortable there.

One moment sticks in my mind where Watford switched the play with a long diagonal ball and Gomez judgment was all wrong. The ball went over his head straight to the Watford winger and had he been half decent he may have turned that into a decent chance. It was very similar to city's first goal at anfield where he misjudged the ball to Sane who then went onto score. As it happened I think Gomez recovered pretty well in this incident but there were still a couple of moments that I felt a little uncomfortable with and it was lucky we were playing against dross.

My second criticism comes to our centre mids and in particular Jordan Henderson today. I thought he was abysmal, especially in the first half. I lost count how many times he gave the ball away and some of them were just beyond comical.  I don't like him, I don't rate him, and moving forward we need to upgrade. During a match he will try or even make one or two decent passes and some of our fans just seem to excuse his weaknesses because of this. For example, he tried a through ball in the first half to salah. In my opinion it was actually a very poor ball. It was definitely the right idea, but he misjudged the weight of the pass, and it wasn't that difficult to do. But it got a big round of applause from the fans. I applaud the idea and maybe that's why some people clapped, but the execution of the pass was dreadful in my opinion and I expect him to make that pass.

It isn't just Henderson though. The middle of the park is a big problem for us. It's ok when we play against sh*te like Watford because our attack will just drill them. But we definitely need a couple of top centre mids. The ones we have just aren't good enough for top level. Naby is a start but we need somebody to else to come in and partner him. Break the bank because this should be our priority in my opinion.

But look, we were great today, and we're making big strides under klopp but at present the right back position and the centre mids concern me a little.

Find it weird how anybody in the forum can give motm to anyone but mo today but I notice Robbo has a few votes. It's pleasing that he's becoming a big kop favourite because he really has been exceptional and he deserves all the plaudits. It's so refreshing to see a decent left back at the club after we've gone a good decade or so without one.

I hate to compare any of our players to blueshite ones but he reminds me so much of an old school Baines, round the time he was competing with Ashley Cole for the England spot. Hes up and down that flank, he can come inside and play pass and move football, or he can keep to the byline and whip a ball in. More importantly, he's solid and his reading of the game is superb. I hope he continues going strength to strength and stays at the club for a very long time. Keep it up andy lad.

Very good performance today red men.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #226: Mar 18, 2018 03:58:25 am
      Obviously the MOTM is Salah. He is playing unbelievable football.He Is certainly in the ballon d' or conversation and certainly the PL Player of the Year.

But, i voted for Firmino because Salahs performance is overshadowing his goal. That should be the goal of the year. He flicked it off the back heel, at speed,2 feet in the air and backwards. WHAT? It was Insane. It wasnt a lucky goal. He intentionally made that shot.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #227: Mar 18, 2018 04:21:26 am
      Got a decision to make in the man of the match poll, here.

Hmm..
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #228: Mar 18, 2018 04:33:56 am
      Brilliant result and we never really bust a gut for it..
      Watford were sh*te and you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Just a few observations for me ;
      Henderson, despite all his huffing and puffing across the middle of the park gave the ball away to many times and very nearly put us in the sh*t. another team on another day and we'd have been punished.
      Gomez will get better, but that right back position, especially with Lovren/Matip alongside is turning into our achilles heel and Jürgen needs to be aware that the likes of Maureen,Pepe, Conte and the likes have the players that can and will exploit that area.

On the plus side Mo Salah is a genius and I'm pretty certain he has velcro on his boots ;D
      That third goal was ridiculous

Good post mate, you identified a few things that stuck out for me as well. Watford are not City Real or Barca .  Henderson`s 5 or 6 minutes of  passing errors had the alarm bells ringing just to say it's noted and hopefully it's just a glitch conditions etc  , Milly that half yard is beginning to show ,as for Gini I keep expecting him to punch through with an end result doesnt happen too often we need more from him .

On a brighter note Ox and Danny looked well up for it effort and passion, the  keeper done Danny a couple of times a goal for the guy would have been a fitting end to a good day at the office couldn't ask for anything more from them ,great result yet a few more final balls off better quality it could have been double figures hard as it may seem especially giving the many excellent performances there is room for improvement.

TBH looking at yesterdays game we played well in sh*t conditions they huffed and puffed but really had nothing to worry us  Karius could have built a snowman yesterday he was that busy,so room for improvement in a few departments and a big pat on the back to Mo you were f***in awesome yesterday.

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2018 04:41:21 am by Cad1875 »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #229: Mar 18, 2018 04:53:08 am
      Anyone have have stats on salah goal to shots percentage at the start of the season to now.
      Reason being is that for the first few months, to me, he needed many opportunities to actually score whereas now, he is utterly clinical.
      Love to know the progression he has made statistically.

Quick Reply