Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (5.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      104 (87.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2018 07:19:06 pm

Liverpool 5-0 Watford: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22496 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Liverpool 5-0 Watford: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Mar 19, 2018 02:46:05 pm
      No he's role became more central of the 3 when Emre went of as Milner and Gini were either side of him.

If you say so...watched the part of the match before emre went out 3 times now...Hendo was behind emre and gini...I saw it from kickoff the commentators talked about it going as far to say the exact same thing. "With Henderson back in the side he takes the deeper role with Emre Can and Gini Winajaldum the more advanced positions in front of".

That was the commentary and that is what I see on my DVR so we'll agree to disagree.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #254: Mar 19, 2018 03:35:10 pm
      If you say so...watched the part of the match before emre went out 3 times now...Hendo was behind emre and gini...I saw it from kickoff the commentators talked about it going as far to say the exact same thing. "With Henderson back in the side he takes the deeper role with Emre Can and Gini Winajaldum the more advanced positions in front of".

That was the commentary and that is what I see on my DVR so we'll agree to disagree.

Yeah, no doubt Hendo played the deeper role of the midfielders, at times, he was in between our CB's!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #255: Mar 19, 2018 03:50:36 pm
      Yeah, no doubt Hendo played the deeper role of the midfielders, at times, he was in between our CB's!

That is a particular bug bear of mine, he does not need to do that esp when the two CB's on Saturday are very capable passers of the ball so all he is doing is creating one less option for the CB's to pass out to.

There again looking at his ability to control a ball in a confined space i wouldn't be surprised if he does it on purpose!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #256: Mar 19, 2018 03:57:05 pm
      That is a particular bug bear of mine, he does not need to do that esp when the two CB's on Saturday are very capable passers of the ball so all he is doing is creating one less option for the CB's to pass out to.

There again looking at his ability to control a ball in a confined space i wouldn't be surprised if he does it on purpose!

Or he is putting himself exactly where the manager told him...and I did not see Klopp correcting his position so for me following instructions.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #257: Mar 19, 2018 04:05:16 pm

Could not agree more, and I suspect with a better player, we could possibly see our #6 play higher up like how Jorginho does for Napoli.

Or he is putting himself exactly where the manager told him...and I did not see Klopp correcting his position so for me following instructions.

Yeah, maybe so, and perhaps Klopp knows Hendo is poor playing in the tight areas and had him drop deeper?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #258: Mar 19, 2018 04:42:36 pm

;D yeah yeah,  honestly the depths some posters go to!

I didn't see Klopp correct him for being unable to control simple passes either.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #259: Mar 19, 2018 04:54:53 pm
      You guys are cracking me up. No idea who was deepest Saturday.

I will note that I've seen Jordan, Emre and Gini each play that deep (between the center backs) at times. The only game I've seen in person since Klopp came in was a friendly in the U.S. vs. Roma, and a midfielder would often drop back that far. In one of  Klopp's first matches, I recall Lovren and Emre arguing over whether the latter should have been in that space as Lovren wanted him further upfield.

Not sure anymore what started all of this, but I do agree that Jordan Henderson in the starting XI will not take us to the promised land. We need another new player along with Naby in midfield.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #260: Mar 19, 2018 05:21:12 pm
      You guys are cracking me up. No idea who was deepest Saturday.

I will note that I've seen Jordan, Emre and Gini each play that deep (between the center backs) at times. The only game I've seen in person since Klopp came in was a friendly in the U.S. vs. Roma, and a midfielder would often drop back that far. In one of  Klopp's first matches, I recall Lovren and Emre arguing over whether the latter should have been in that space as Lovren wanted him further upfield.

Well, if you watch the games Hendo plays in (and even vs Watford), he is usually the deepest and the hub player for large duration of matches.

I actually forgot about about the incident where Hendo this season dropped deep vs a defensive team with Matip (or lovren, can't remember) having a go at him and told him to push forward, so who knows if Klopp wanted him that deep or not... thinking about it now, I am not sure I have seen Hendo that deep for a while.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #261: Mar 19, 2018 05:32:31 pm
       :mad: i watched the game with no sound..well godawful diddly music so it was more red shirt pass goal red shirt cross goal etc etc.Great f***in stuff!Won, arsed about #6#8 false feckin 9. :scarf:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #262: Mar 19, 2018 06:19:36 pm
      ;D yeah yeah,  honestly the depths some posters go to!

Totally agree, some posters think they know and see more than the manager himself.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #263: Mar 19, 2018 07:31:08 pm
      Well, if you watch the games Hendo plays in (and even vs Watford), he is usually the deepest and the hub player for large duration of matches.

I actually forgot about about the incident where Hendo this season dropped deep vs a defensive team with Matip (or lovren, can't remember) having a go at him and told him to push forward, so who knows if Klopp wanted him that deep or not... thinking about it now, I am not sure I have seen Hendo that deep for a while.

Yes, Hendo is normally the #6 if he plays. Lallana, Ox (or Phil before he left) are at #8, and Emre, Milner and Gini in between (obviously not all at once).

I may be missing some acrimony between posters here. We have some interchangeable parts in our midfield, but mostly I'm hoping for upgrade in two if not all three positions next season.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2018 07:35:27 pm by Robby The Z »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #264: Mar 19, 2018 07:43:12 pm
      Yes, Hendo is normally the #6 if he plays. Lallana, Ox (or Phil before he left) are at #8, and Emre, Milner and Gini in between (obviously not all at once).

I may be missing some acrimony between posters here. We have some interchangeable parts in our midfield, but mostly I'm hoping for upgrade in two if not all three positions next season.

Oh, I was confused by your post, nevermind, you seem to know!

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #265: Mar 19, 2018 11:30:41 pm

Ok whichever way you saw it then whether he started or was moved there he was poor is the point I am trying to make.

With him in that role against City we have no chance!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #266: Mar 19, 2018 11:34:58 pm
      Ok whichever way you saw it then whether he started or was moved there he was poor is the point I am trying to make.

With him in that role against City we have no chance!

OK...take your word for it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #267: Mar 20, 2018 02:47:59 pm
      Am I being harsh in saying I thought Hendo stuck out like a sore thumb in terms of how bad he was? Thought he was shocking. Giving the ball away cheaply in our own half, having no influence on the game at all and looked well off the standard we need. I saw a stat the other day how over the last 3 seasons he’s been available for a total 52% of the time. I’m not sure how he can be relied upon because he doesn’t play half the time, literally, and when he does play he looks far from captain material or at the standard we should be aiming for. When you look at the quality of the front 3, the midfield is a real concern. Can, Hendo and Gini can all be massively upgraded IMO.

More positively, Mo was just boss, 4 goals and 1 assist! Wow. 36 goals for the season already and 28 in the league. I remember back when we thought it was great how Torres got 33 and Suarez hit 31? Now we have a player who actually looks set to smash into the 40+ mark. The sad thing is, this kind of season would have won the Ballon d’or at one time, now it’s down to whoever goes the furthest in the Champions League or an International tournament out of Messi and Ronaldo.

Bobby was class as usual and Mane was very good again. Robbo is looking a real bargain and in general, it’s great that we bounced back from the Manc game in such good fashion, complete domination.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #268: Mar 20, 2018 04:28:19 pm
      Am I being harsh in saying I thought Hendo stuck out like a sore thumb in terms of how bad he was? Thought he was shocking. Giving the ball away cheaply in our own half, having no influence on the game at all and looked well off the standard we need. I saw a stat the other day how over the last 3 seasons he’s been available for a total 52% of the time. I’m not sure how he can be relied upon because he doesn’t play half the time, literally, and when he does play he looks far from captain material or at the standard we should be aiming for. When you look at the quality of the front 3, the midfield is a real concern. Can, Hendo and Gini can all be massively upgraded IMO.

Every time someone posts about our midfield, I just can't help myself in replying!!!

Honestly, he sticks out in a lot of matches for me because of how average his distribution is. I have still yet to see him have a passing game like a natural #6 does. I still think with a better #6, people will be surprised at how much better our attack will be!!! After so many years of Hendo in there, I feel people have forgotten how a deep midfielder should distribute!

I have no problem with Hendo being captain, nor do I have a problem with him being a first team player, just not our deepest midfielder!! Same with Wijnaldum and  Can. I feel all 3 are very good players and I still consider them CL quality standard in the right role, but we just need to get the balance right!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #269: Mar 20, 2018 05:26:44 pm

More positively, Mo was just boss, 4 goals and 1 assist! Wow. 36 goals for the season already and 28 in the league. I remember back when we thought it was great how Torres got 33 and Suarez hit 31? Now we have a player who actually looks set to smash into the 40+ mark. The sad thing is, this kind of season would have won the Ballon d’or at one time, now it’s down to whoever goes the furthest in the Champions League or an International tournament out of Messi and Ronaldo.

Bobby was class as usual and Mane was very good again. Robbo is looking a real bargain and in general, it’s great that we bounced back from the Manc game in such good fashion, complete domination.

He had an atrocious 5-10 minutes but aside from that I actually thought Gini was very average and I can't recall him offering anything apart from getting beat quite easily in the odd physical challenge for the ball.

Beating Man City over two legs is going to be tough purely on the basis that our midfield just isn't good enough. I think if there's one thing that you'd get 100% agreement on among forum members and the general fan base it is that fact regarding our limitations in the middle of the park. For sure - it may be hard working but there is very little going on in terms of technique and even less going on in the cranial department. That said, I have noticed that Henderson is being a bit more ambitious with the ball now, trying to find that perfect ball over the top and a defence splitting pass through the middle - so he definitely IS trying. It was on display against Newcastle and I believe it was on display against Watford though without much success. And that's great. You learn so much from that. Far better to be ambitious and not quite pull it off than be conservative and prove nothing to yourself or the team.

But the problem with that is it may have come too late in the day to start trying to prove yourself in that side of the game. When you know that Keita is soon to be a Liverpool player you can't help but feel this is one last desperate show of approval from Jordan in front of Jürgen and co to display that he IS the man for the job in the number 6 and that Keita should be accommodated higher up the field. But that begs the question why he wasn't doing this the previous two years when Jürgen has conducted all before him. When all is said and done and Jordan hangs up his football boots he'll probably look back on his Liverpool career and think 'I really didn't need to tap the ball 3 yards square of me to my team mate within our own half'. You learn nothing from that.

Much has been made of our 'inability' to break down the deep lying defences. It's less of a debate this season than last but a debate it still is and you can only put that down to the lack of technical quality from Jordan and our other midfielders to find that quality, intelligent ball needed to break ultra defence opposition down. None of us know for certain what kind of role Keita will be deployed in when he puts on the red shirt but if it is to play in that number 6 role then Jordan's efforts as I noted above are maybe too little too late in that regards. He's been a decent player for us but sadly quality, outstanding displays have been all too infrequent for him to be regarded anything other than 'decent'. He has shown his ability to pull out a performance like Chelsea away last season and coupled with his work ethic that means that he still makes a good squad player for us. But for a starting eleven, particularly in that number 6 role, he cannot be considered a mainstay for that role. This summer he'll be approaching 7 years at this club - that is more than long enough to have made a final judgement on him.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #270: Mar 20, 2018 06:12:21 pm

This is more likely the case is it is fairly standard In Modern footy that your FBs get on the chalk high and wide, CBs split and one of the middies drops in there so your covered if you lose the ball or do something stupid with it. I believe it is as much about your shape without the ball (or if you lose it) as it is about Hendo being some sort of quarter-back/scrum half when he's got the ball (which he isn't isn't!).
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2018 08:57:41 pm by Scottbot »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #271: Mar 21, 2018 12:49:18 pm
      Apologies about the late response, I've only just made my way back from the clouds...

Get da f*** in

Quick Reply