Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45

Read 16375 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45
      Apr 01, 2018 06:16:44 pm
      Can't help not thinking about Wednesday night , been bugging me since the dodgy draw was made ...not going to there !

Anyhoo,
      Wednesday, City and how we're going to get passed them is a debate that simply cannot wait, so let's start it off with team selection ,
      We can't get away from the fact that they are stronger in midfield  and arguably as strong up front , at the back we are pretty even with perhaps they having a better keeper,

There is no doubt in my mind that we will need Emre Can , without him i honestly can't see us getting the better of them , also i feel this match is a bridge too far for Trent , and if we are honest Henderson,
      So this is what i would prefer to see at KO....
                                  Karius
              Clyne   Matip   Virgil   Robertson
                                    Milner
                     Oxlade                 Emre
                Salah       Firmino      Mane

Bench;  Migs, Lovren, Henderson,
                     Wijnaldom ,  Moreno, Trent, Ings

I'm putting Clyney in because i just feel he could handle Sane better than Trent, ok he's going to be rusty but if he can defend that area for a hour we would at least be more solid defensively,

Henderson, no, can't afford to have a weakness in a already weaker midfield so Milner gets my nod, again not ideal but at least he can read the game better, will tackle and is a good outlet,

Oxlade, again a good player going forward can join up both defensively and in attack but he'll need to be at his best,

Emre, like him or not we need him , without him City will run over us like a f***in tank, he's our strongest midfielder so hopefully he's fit and starts,

Look, on paper it looks like City are better all over the pitch, but we've seen how we can get at them, they have quality in places we don't but they know we can hurt them,

We cannot expect to keep a clean sheet so for me its pivotal to keep them down to one goal max , any more and its going to be very difficult to reach the semi-finals,

Right now id take a 1-1 but preferably a 2 or 3 -1 lead .

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018 09:44:09 am by JD »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Pre-Match, Liverpool V Man City, CLqf 1st leg, 04/04/18 -19.45
      Reply #1: Apr 01, 2018 06:29:20 pm
      I'm putting Clyney in because i just feel he could handle Sane better than Trent, ok he's going to be rusty but if he can defend that area for a hour we would at least be more solid defensively,

I was thinking Ox for RB, but how about Milner RB instead with Wijnaldum in the middle? Wijnaldum is usually a monster at home!
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2018 06:36:13 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #2: Apr 01, 2018 06:50:24 pm
      I was thinking Ox for RB, but how about Milner RB instead with Wijnaldum in the middle? Wijnaldum is usually a monster at home!

Putting Milner at RB means starting with Henderson, Oxlade has to play further forward to get the best from him, Gini yeah maybe but i think he's more adept going forward linking up play and not as good  defensively ,
      Klopp will probably have Henderson in with Can & Milner but for me he goes awol in big games and we really can't afford that against City.

YNWA
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2018 07:17:36 pm

Putting Milner at RB means starting with Henderson, Oxlade has to play further forward to get the best from him, Gini yeah maybe but i think he's more adept going forward linking up play and not as good  defensively ,
      Klopp will probably have Henderson in with Can & Milner but for me he goes awol in big games and we really can't afford that against City.

YNWA

I'm probably one of Hendo's harshes fan, and I agree, his reading of the game isn't as good as it should be for a #6, but his work rate is second to none, he knows how to press, support and harry as good as anyone in world football (imo), and I'm sure he could keep it up for 90mins.

There is no doubt we'll see less of the ball, and possibly see a lot of end to end stuff, so I think having Hendo in the starting lineup is important, I can see him breaking up a lot of attacks.

Edit: But also, I am not against your lineup too, well, just Clyne I would be worried about because he hasn't played at all this season :(
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2018 07:33:06 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #4: Apr 01, 2018 07:31:09 pm
      I'm probably one of Hendo's harshes fan, and I agree, his reading of the game isn't as good as it should be for a #6, but his work rate is second to none, he knows how to press, support and harry as good as anyone in world football (imo), and I'm sure he could keep it up for 90mins.

There is no doubt we'll see less of the ball, and possibly see a lot of end to end stuff, so I think having Hendo in the starting lineup is important, I can see him breaking up a lot of attacks.

Fairy muff mate,
      We all have differing opinions but for me Hendo is happiest facing players on his level, Cities midfield are above that level as is Scum's, Chavs Spuds etc hence him more often than not passing side to side and back,
      I agree tho he presses well and perhaps performs better further forward but that's not the role Klopp wants him to play,
      Maybe when Naby arrives next season and maybe a actual DM too we could see him push up and be a option going forward,
      Anyhoo , this a debate for another time, if he plays Wednesday he'll give his all 100% and that's all we can ask tbf.

YNWA
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2018 07:42:29 pm
      I just can’t work this one out. I really hope the players don’t get too worked up because of the occasion and atmosphere for then someone to get sent off early in the game.

I really really trust Klopp to do the business here.

It’ll be a mental game that’s for sure
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #6: Apr 01, 2018 08:22:30 pm
      Maribor v2
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Apr 01, 2018 09:08:56 pm
      Agree, hard to keep this one out of mind :)
      Only a few days to go, MASSIVE match!!!!
      They will be pumped, Pep wants to prove they are the best in Europe.
      So we need to be on the ball, and at our best...

Karius
             Milner   Lovren   VVD   Robertson
                      Emre   Henderson AOC

Is Gomez injured? If so, would stick in Milner at RB. OK, he hasn't played there. But he's a guy who can do a job, and has played LB. Better concentration than TAA. Just think TAA would get targeted if he plays. And might be too soon for Clyne.
      Tbh, don't think Jürgen will play Milner there, so RB could be our soft spot.
      Would stick in Lovren instead of Matip to give us a bit more aggression to complement VVDs class.
      Robbo picks himself, has been excellent so far for us.
      Emre HAS to play, need his energy and physicality. Hendo, for his experience. And AOC cause we need to be on the front foot in the home leg.
      Front 3 picks itself. Need them to be at their best again. No sh*t from Mane. A sharper Firmino. And Salah to take his chances as he has been.

We get past these in 2 legs, who should be afraid of?! So let's get it done.
      Need to win in the home leg, cause they will be hard to beat there.
      No better man than Jürgen to get the lads pumped and prep'ed for this.
      Absolutely. Can. Not. Wait :) !!!!!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2018 09:18:19 pm
      I think Klopp should have got a proper good RB in the window. Isn't it about £5m prize money for QF win?
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 01, 2018 11:30:27 pm
      Hard game, I agree with everyone here, Can is a must, without him I can't see us winning, sadly. I'd go with:

Karius

Clyne (hard one)
      Lovren
      VVD
      Rob

Can
      Milner
      Ox

Mane
      Firmino
      Salah
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #10: Apr 01, 2018 11:36:53 pm
      Can see this happening but If I was Klopp I would go with

Karius
                                  TAA   Lovren   VVD   Robertson       
                                               Henderson
                                        AOC                Moreno

Playing both The Ox and Moreno would really give both of city's fullback something to think about and they would have to sit back more, also would help both our full backs out with cover
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Apr 02, 2018 01:07:34 am
      With RB looking a problem, I’m wondering if Gomez will be ready for Wednesday. I mean praying.
      Agree we must have Can to give us some aggression in the middle, and we can’t afford to have forwards sprinting on, for Hendo to pass sideways and waste their energy. Agree he’s got the motor to chase and harry, but he doesn’t do enough with the ball for me.
      If Millie dropped to RB, he’d get sorted for pace. Bit of a dillema. Need a mirrored Robbo really.
      CB are fine, and we ok up top.
      Just need to keep the pressure on for the full 90 and no stupid defensive subs to invite them on to us.
      Keep it positive Jürgen. The lads will cope. Keep them lot defending high up the field, and they can’t link with their midfield so effectively. That’s how we get ahead, that’s how we can stay ahead!
      3:1 the red men !
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #12: Apr 02, 2018 02:27:13 am
      I'm absolutely buzzing for this. I usually sit in the upper cenny but I'm bang in the middle of the kop on Wednesday and that's where you want to be for nights like this!

God I've missed these nights. I'm so excited. I still get as excited now as I did when I was 5. Anfield under the floodlights, scarves and flags out, the electric atmosphere, you just can't beat it. It really is magic.

Now that hippy stuff is out the way, onto the line up. For me, one of the key areas is right back. I've voiced my concerns about it for a long time now and for this game I would not start trent. Clyne won't be match fit so up you step professional and reliable James Milner. He did a cracking job for us at left back last season and now it's time to do the same at right back. Get in there and do a job on sane lad. Do not give him a sniff.

Another reason why I'd play milner at right back is that it frees up a slot in midfield for somebody much more quicker than him, with more energy, more skill, more buzz. How you doing Ox mate? Get your boots on son. You're going in.

My team would be:

Karius

Robbo
      VVD
      Matip
      Milner

Gini
      Can
      Ox

Salah
      Mane
      Bobby

We're up against a top top team but we're also a top top team. Away goals in this leg, and the second leg, will prove vital. As long as they don't score on Wednesday then it'll be a good result.

Make us proud lads. Give it your all that's all we ask.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #13: Apr 02, 2018 10:12:08 am
      I'm absolutely buzzing for this. I usually sit in the upper cenny but I'm bang in the middle of the kop on Wednesday and that's where you want to be for nights like this!

God I've missed these nights. I'm so excited. I still get as excited now as I did when I was 5. Anfield under the floodlights, scarves and flags out, the electric atmosphere, you just can't beat it. It really is magic.

Now that hippy stuff is out the way, onto the line up. For me, one of the key areas is right back. I've voiced my concerns about it for a long time now and for this game I would not start trent. Clyne won't be match fit so up you step professional and reliable James Milner. He did a cracking job for us at left back last season and now it's time to do the same at right back. Get in there and do a job on sane lad. Do not give him a sniff.

Another reason why I'd play milner at right back is that it frees up a slot in midfield for somebody much more quicker than him, with more energy, more skill, more buzz. How you doing Ox mate? Get your boots on son. You're going in.

My team would be:

Karius

Robbo
      VVD
      Matip
      Milner

Gini
      Can
      Ox

Salah
      Mane
      Bobby

We're up against a top top team but we're also a top top team. Away goals in this leg, and the second leg, will prove vital. As long as they don't score on Wednesday then it'll be a good result.

Make us proud lads. Give it your all that's all we ask.

You enjoy that mate and do us forum reds proud out there.

Agree with that lineup RB huge problem for me with Milly to fill the slot. Having trouble sleeping allready with anxiety and excitement for this.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Apr 02, 2018 12:29:56 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

We need to score and do not concede! I would play both Mane and Salah narrower than I put them with Trent and Robertson overlapping.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #15: Apr 02, 2018 12:39:01 pm

We need to score and do not concede! I would play both Mane and Salah narrower than I put them with Trent and Robertson overlapping.

They play three in the middle so we need to match up with them. We'd get slaughtered if we go 5 at the back.

Midfield is key for this game.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #16: Apr 02, 2018 12:51:07 pm
      They play three in the middle so we need to match up with them. We'd get slaughtered if we go 5 at the back.

I agree to some extent but we need cover to help Trent. It is very difficult to plan for the match but Klopp is paid millions to do so. I will support any formation as always.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #17: Apr 02, 2018 12:55:08 pm
      Ox will start for sure and hopefully Can. At the back will be the big call Matip or Lovren and will he stick with TAA. Can't call the CB one both in my opinion not good enough to be first choice so would go with who is quickest on the deck which I honestly would not be able to say
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #18: Apr 02, 2018 01:05:38 pm
      Ox will start for sure and hopefully Can. At the back will be the big call Matip or Lovren and will he stick with TAA. Can't call the CB one both in my opinion not good enough to be first choice so would go with who is quickest on the deck which I honestly would not be able to say

Alex will be fresh and willing to fight so he can be a very good asset. I would stick with Matip not Lovren.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #19: Apr 02, 2018 01:16:33 pm
      Alex will be fresh and willing to fight so he can be a very good asset. I would stick with Matip not Lovren.

Being on bench Sat told me he would start Wednesday. Would agree with Matip but he has looked unsteady last couple of games . Better the devil you know I suppose
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #20: Apr 02, 2018 01:24:46 pm
      Guarantee they are much more nervous about this than we are. They know what we can do to them in short order and our defense should be improved this time around.

I think we need Milner and Henderson in midfield either with Ox or Can. Lineup pretty much picks itself after that with the options we have available.

Let's go have fun!

3-1 to the Redmen.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #21: Apr 02, 2018 01:25:30 pm

Absolutely, 433 for this one.

Can has to start!! I personally think TAA will do us proud on Wednesday, he has the pace to deal with Sane.

I’m just hoping we don’t concede early on. We can do this! Just go all out to beat them, that’s the only way to go!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #22: Apr 02, 2018 01:34:44 pm

That's fantastic. It really plays to our strengths. In the past we tried to compensate weaknesses instead, didn't seem to work.

Quick Reply