Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      4 (2.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      17 (11.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      83 (55.3%)
      James Milner
      19 (12.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      6 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (3.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      7 (4.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2018 09:39:10 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 39422 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Apr 05, 2018 11:50:06 am
      Doom merchant here, wonder when we’ll be charged?
      it was outside football grounds so Uefa don't have any jurisdiction. It's a local police matter.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #461: Apr 05, 2018 12:07:20 pm
      I think that it was a F***ing disgrace, and it will draw some of the attention on what was another epic European night for Liverpool...

Big -up Pep for his response... A Class act

What sucks is the few dickheads who put a little black eye on tonight's win, is going to draw an equal response when we go to the Etihad. The aggro from the City supporters to the Liverpool away might get ugly.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #462: Apr 05, 2018 12:07:33 pm
      I think that it was a f**king disgrace, and it will draw some of the attention on what was another epic European night for Liverpool...

It was deplorable & shameful & took some of the shine off a perfect night at anfield.
      I wish some of these dickheads would think before they act & hope Merseyside police get a grip of the culprits.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #463: Apr 05, 2018 12:16:44 pm
      I think that it was a f**king disgrace, and it will draw some of the attention on what was another epic European night for Liverpool...

It definitely has taken some of the attention off what was a fantastic night. The idiots who did this need identifying and should be charged and banned from setting foot anywhere near Anfield on match days!
      We are being lambasted from all sides and of course they’re bringing up Hysel. Do these people actually have any brain cells, they have damaged the Club and the reputation of the fans.
      I hope anyone who has video or photo footage of any of these idiots make it available to the Club/police so they can be dealt with.
      Totally agree about Pep, class act and a decent human being!

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #464: Apr 05, 2018 12:19:37 pm
      GET THE F**k IN THERE REDS F***ing YESSSSS F***ing GET IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!! What a F***ing night. What a result!!  GET THE F**k IN!!!!!!

I'll start with the starting line up as always. I wasn't happy. Thought klopp made the wrong call in playing milner in midfield over wijnaldum and I wasn't happy with Trent at right back either. I was worried.

The game kicks off and City come out and play for the first ten minutes. They didn't do much with the ball and it reminded me a bit of how we play against the bus parkers sometimes. You can have as much posession as you want but if you do nothing with the ball then it's F***ing pointless.

We go on the counter attack with the lightning pace of mo and the usually battling never give up attitude of Bobby. Mo smashes one in and it's 1-0. The place absolutely erupted I was thrown left right and centre in the kop with all kinds of people hugging me and landing on me and vice versa. It's those moments why we all love football.

That goal and the atmosphere spurred us on and it was all us then. Ox smashes a screamer in and then mane butts one in. 3-0 up at HT, absolutely unreal.

Second half starts and I wanted us to go for the fourth goal because I felt City were there for the taking. Instead, we parked the bus and let city have all of the posession and said come on then let's see what you've got.  I was so surprised with how well we defended and how organised we were. Every man did the job they were asked of and the concentration levels were spot on. To restrict a team of Man City's quality to no shots on target is some doing. They couldn't get through us and every man put his body on the line last night. They gave it everything. FT 3-0 and the place goes nuts.

It was one of those nights that you can't fault anybody. It was a fantastic team effort and everybody pulled their weight. I was wrong and JĂźrgen got his team absolutely spot on.

Motm for me was Trent. I thought the lad was superb. He's come in for lots of criticism recently, a lot from me too, and I didn't want him to play last night, but he was F***ing brilliant. City tried their best to target him and kept playing that diagonal pass to sane but Trent handled him very, very well. He was excellent and to put in a performance like that with the spotlight on him being under a lot of pressure and with city specifically targeting him is some doing. I said a few days ago he isn't at this level but last night he proved that he is at this level. Well done Trent mate you were F***ing boss lad.

Everybody else put their bodies on the line last night and gave it everything and that's all we ask as supporters. We all have our favourite players and we all have players who were not that keen on too, but all 11 players and the subs who came on did fantastically well and they did the club and us proud last night.

I was in block 105 of the kop last night, row 17, so just above the cross bar and I've probably never had a better seat for a European match (i'm usually upper centenary). The atmosphere was electric and the kop did the club proud once more too. The new song allez allez allez is boss and it was sung on repeat last night.

That was one of my best nights as a red, one of our best performances in Europe in my opinion. This tie isn't over though it'll still be very tough going to their place despite having a lead and I still think we might need a goal. We've given ourselves a fantastic opportunity now though.

I'm absolutely buzzing today. It's F***ing boss having this feeling back. UP THE F***ing REDS!!!
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #465: Apr 05, 2018 12:21:51 pm

Helped of course by the ref who allowed some questionable tackles from our lads to go unpunished, and the game flowed at pace.

Second half was pretty poor by my standards. Yes we officially kept a clean sheet, but I don't see much to boast there. We invited the pressure on. We were sloppy and wasteful (particularly Firmino who seemed to give the ball away constantly). In reality, we conceded a goal too (only that we were fortunate that it was wrongly ruled out). So I'm not sure how we can claim we 'kept a clean sheet' when it was only the officials who secured that for us.

We can claim we kept a clean sheet because you know...we did?

n*b.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #466: Apr 05, 2018 12:24:14 pm
      What sucks is the few dickheads who put a little black eye on tonight's win, is going to draw an equal response when we go to the Etihad. The aggro from the City supporters to the Liverpool away might get ugly.

Yes and if you are inclined to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist then in would not be too inconceivable to believe that if there is a revenge attack for the events of last night that there will be a few Man Utd supporters in there doing their part to make sure that the Man city and Liverpool supporters are seen in the very worse light possible
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #467: Apr 05, 2018 12:27:21 pm
      It definitely has taken some of the attention off what was a fantastic night. The idiots who did this need identifying and should be charged and banned from setting foot anywhere near Anfield on match days!
      We are being lambasted from all sides and of course they’re bringing up Hysel. Do these people actually have any brain cells, they have damaged the Club and the reputation of the fans.
      I hope anyone who has video or photo footage of any of these idiots make it available to the Club/police so they can be dealt with.
      Totally agree about Pep, class act and a decent human being!
      That did not take long to do, did it...  UFEA will be watch very closely
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #468: Apr 05, 2018 12:47:02 pm

Second half was pretty poor by my standards. Yes we officially kept a clean sheet, but I don't see much to boast there. We invited the pressure on. We were sloppy and wasteful (particularly Firmino who seemed to give the ball away constantly). In reality, we conceded a goal too (only that we were fortunate that it was wrongly ruled out). So I'm not sure how we can claim we 'kept a clean sheet' when it was only the officials who secured that for us.

Bit dumbfounded by this paragraph. That was our best defensive display without the ball since Houllier's side went to Barca and secured a 0-0 draw on our way to winning the UEFA Cup. The biggest criticism of Klopp's Liverpool has been the fragility of our defending, particularly in games where the opposition are on top, have possession and have momentum. City are a better passing side than us, in fact we're little bit workmanlike in that respect since Coutinho left (we've become more direct and more of a counter-attacking side but that will change I think when Keita comes in the summer).

So that 2nd half last night should be celebrated as much as the first half (if not more). It's exactly the type of display that we have been unable to muster under Klopp's leadership and yet it is the sort of backs to the wall, organised and concentrated defensive performance that is needed to go on and win this tournament. You only have to look to 2005, the away leg in Turin and the 2nd half at home to Chelsea at Anfield for proof of that. 

If the lads can put in a similar performance in the 2nd leg I guess it won't matter too much whether they reach your standards because we'll be in a European Cup Semi-Final for the first time in 11 years.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #469: Apr 05, 2018 12:51:24 pm
      it was outside football grounds so Uefa don't have any jurisdiction. It's a local police matter.

Thought there was a certain distance from the ground from which they could act?
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #470: Apr 05, 2018 01:01:45 pm
      That did not take long to do, did it...  UFEA will be watch very closely

I think that as it happened outside the ground means UEFA will not get involved and it will be left up to the local police to deal with. It is, after all a public order offence. The Club apologised and condemned those responsible very quickly, the vast majority of LFC supporters have also condemned it and Pep, unlike some, has declined to make a big deal out of it.
      The lads must be gutted that, after that performance, some of their own supporters let them down.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #471: Apr 05, 2018 01:20:57 pm
      Just bought my city away ticket. Had to get it on the black market and pay well over face value. There's no way I can miss that game though!
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #472: Apr 05, 2018 01:21:33 pm
      Absolutely brilliant, a joy to watch in the first half.  I am sure we will score at their place.  Incredible atmosphere

Well done lads
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #473: Apr 05, 2018 01:35:09 pm
      I think that as it happened outside the ground means UEFA will not get involved and it will be left up to the local police to deal with. It is, after all a public order offence. The Club apologised and condemned those responsible very quickly, the vast majority of LFC supporters have also condemned it and Pep, unlike some, has declined to make a big deal out of it.
      The lads must be gutted that, after that performance, some of their own supporters let them down.

I understand UEFA are waiting for reports of the incident before taking any action. Club can hardly be held accountable for actions outside the Stadium. Still thugish behaviour like this reflects badly on the club and the City.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #474: Apr 05, 2018 01:38:37 pm
      Quote from DanMann
      That first half performance was incredible. We were harassing City all over the pitch and were so quick and deadly with the ball. It could have been 4 or 5 goals and it would have been deserving.

Helped of course by the ref who allowed some questionable tackles from our lads to go unpunished, and the game flowed at pace.

As it stands however, a 3-0 cushion is huge and we are surely going to score at the Etihad, and should do this over the two legs.

What are your standards?

We were 3-0 up. Salah was off. Firmino went off. Hendo will be off next week. We had 4 regulars unavailable, we had a 19 year old at right back, and a player making his full home European debut at left back, both played like veterans. We did a thorough professional job in the second half, and whatever your standards are, you should have no complaints.

The tie isn't over, our advantage could be wiped out in as little as 5 minutes. So there should be no complacency, and no assumptions that a goal for us will settle it either. How will we replace Hendo? How will we nullify Aguero? How will we deal with an early goal against us? How will we cope if someone else gets dismissed? Those are just some of the questions we may have to deal with. We're in a great position, but all we've done so far is the easy bit. There's still a lot of hard work to get through before we clear this particular hurdle.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #475: Apr 05, 2018 01:45:04 pm
      Bit dumbfounded by this paragraph. That was our best defensive display without the ball since Houllier's side went to Barca and secured a 0-0 draw on our way to winning the UEFA Cup. The biggest criticism of Klopp's Liverpool has been the fragility of our defending, particularly in games where the opposition are on top, have possession and have momentum. City are a better passing side than us, in fact we're little bit workmanlike in that respect since Coutinho left (we've become more direct and more of a counter-attacking side but that will change I think when Keita comes in the summer).

So that 2nd half last night should be celebrated as much as the first half (if not more). It's exactly the type of display that we have been unable to muster under Klopp's leadership and yet it is the sort of backs to the wall, organised and concentrated defensive performance that is needed to go on and win this tournament. You only have to look to 2005, the away leg in Turin and the 2nd half at home to Chelsea at Anfield for proof of that. 

If the lads can put in a similar performance in the 2nd leg I guess it won't matter too much whether they reach your standards because we'll be in a European Cup Semi-Final for the first time in 11 years.

Spot on...and I said before the game " composure and solidity in defense will be key". Had we creeked in defense we could easily be going there after a 3-2 or 3-3 result. Keeping City out in the second half was just as important as the first half display.

We will have to be even stronger in defense to get past City in the away leg.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #476: Apr 05, 2018 01:54:13 pm
      Shout out to the Anfield crowd too, best I've heard it in years.

They were brilliant, especially in the 2nd half when we were defending, they kept the lads going. Boo'ed when City had the ball constantly, even moreso when the little shitbag Sterling got the ball.  The lads gave them plenty to shout about, so it was a stadium effort :) still absolutely delighted today.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #477: Apr 05, 2018 02:03:25 pm
      Admittedly from the Telegraph but sums it up.

It was an evening to underline why Liverpool chose so well with JĂźrgen Klopp.

It was also an evening to underline why JĂźrgen Klopp chose so well with Liverpool.

With Klopp and Liverpool we witness emotional volatility blended with immense talent, harnessed to such potency even the most luminous opponent is dimmed.

The manner of victory over Manchester City was what The Kop fantasised when Klopp was lured from holiday 30 months ago, why supporters were tracking his flight path from Germany and – in their own minds – lining the streets of Anfield as his vehicle made its first passage through the Shankly Gates.

Admirers often ask what is Liverpool’s secret. How is it they – certainly more than any club in England – are able to regularly generate such nights, even during relatively barren periods of their history?

Liverpool thrives when there is synergy between the manager and The Kop, and when the ghosts of the past are deployed to terrorise the opponent rather undermine the hosts. The man in charge has to be more than a tactician.

He must respect nostalgia with a modern twist; he must be the embodiment of the values of the supporters in order to galvanise them, to make them trust, listen and believe every proclamation worthy of inclusion on the next banner.

Here is a case in point. It is hard to imagine another club, certainly in this country, where the fanbase is so fascinated by the liberal leanings of their coach.

When Klopp expressed his views on Brexit to Telegraph Sport last week, it felt as reassuring to the local fans as when he finally completed the signing of Virgil Van Dijk.

Are fans of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City so besotted with the political allegiance of their manager? It is another of those Anfield idiosyncrasies in a city where football can be a vehicle for radical expression. With respect to my own employers, no Tory can sit comfortably in the Anfield dug-out (or certainly no-one admitting to be such).

Klopp’s attitudes and success energising Borussia Dortmund made him the perfect fit and he obviously presumed Anfield would be this way. Although it is doubtful he will ever admit it publicly, there must have been some concerns in those early months.

The stadium was going through a period of sedation when he made his first appearance against Southampton in October, 2015 and it is often still too quiet for mid-table visitors. The manager has regularly felt compelled to demand more.

The Europa League run of 2016 brought reassurance. Klopp said the scenes around the comeback against Dortmund that season eclipsed anything he had experienced in Germany.

“Wait until you get this team in the Champions League knockout stage then,” was the response.

He was correct to be moderate in his post-match appraisal after the City win – there is still much to be done - but should his side complete the job he will have another meaningful reference point for future fixtures on this scale.

Moreover, Klopp will reflect on the impact of Anfield and feel his instinct validated when spurning others and waiting for Liverpool to come after his brief break from the game.

Liverpool is a major club like no other. There is pressure, but no time-scale for success. When some commentators randomly spurt out banalities like ‘he has done well, but he must win a trophy’ they presume the manager has been set an imposing deadline that does not exist.

This is because at any other grand institution worthy of Klopp’s wisdom – Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich – the idea you could go three years without a trophy and still have boardroom and fans desperate to ensure you hang around for another four is inconceivable.

Klopp will go another season without the Premier League title, but there is perspective and recognition for how far he has taken the team rather than question marks against his ability to eventually deliver it.
      The Kop waves flags
      Anfield was in full voice for the visit of Manchester City on Wednesday Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Should Liverpool win the Champions League, despite the considerable investment in the team and plentiful resources at Klopp’s disposal, it will still be perceived as defying the odds against superpowers more established and accustomed to recent success.

Where else in world football could Klopp have this? Especially when he looks at Antonio Conte, on the verge of losing his job a year after winning the title. Or Jose Mourinho, admired but broadly unloved even in his own arena(s). No wonder many of the Liverpool’s manager’s peers feel envy for the patience and support afforded.

There is a lingering suspicion that Bayern have not given up on Klopp. That they are yet to confirm who will be in charge at The Allianz Arena next season because they have privately been sending feelers in the Liverpool manager’s direction to such extent his own representative issued what could be interpreted as the kind of ‘we’re flattered, it’s not the right time, but keep in touch’ message once sent to Fenway Sports Group before Brendan Rodgers was appointed.

Mercifully for Liverpool, Klopp has reassured it will be a while longer before German fans are scrutinising the trajectory of his flight home.

The most thrilling aspect of Liverpool’s win last night was not simply the demonstration of how far Klopp has already led his club, but the feeling there is so much further to go.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #478: Apr 05, 2018 02:45:50 pm
      That first half performance was incredible. We were harassing City all over the pitch and were so quick and deadly with the ball. It could have been 4 or 5 goals and it would have been deserving.

As it stands however, a 3-0 cushion is huge and we are surely going to score at the Etihad, and should do this over the two legs.

Thought the players were all round excellent - particularly in the 1st half. Hugely disappointed in Solanke though. He did nothing at all, and even worse, he seemed to put no effort in. He was fresh, but hardly ran. I don't see what he brings to the side at all.

TAA had a great game!!

F**kin hell pal, have you run out of pants to sniff ?

99.999% of fans absolutely f***in loved last night BOTH HALVES......Except You & Pep,

Pull yer head out of your Arse and just f***in enjoy it !!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #479: Apr 05, 2018 02:54:10 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #480: Apr 05, 2018 03:00:16 pm
      What a night , what a game and what a team we are becoming, seriously that was f***in epic,
      To pull of a performance like that for 90 + mins was for me as good as that second half at the Ataturk,
      We were simply awesome and swept city aside without so much as a whimper from them, aside from the first 10/15 mins they didn't know whether to stick or twist, Kompany's face after Mane's header was a f***in portrait Hahahaha, and their body language spoke volumes !!

So next Tuesday, is for me a tougher task now for them than what they envisaged last night to be, for one simple reason....our clean sheet..cos lets be honest here most of us thought we would deffo concede, and they know they will concede against us , there is no way that they will score 4 against and NOT concede 1,
      Never say never in this game i know but its just not gonna happen.

Superb performance from all last night, absolutely loved every second.....and I'm still Smiling !!!!

Get the F**k in !!!

YNWA
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #481: Apr 05, 2018 03:39:52 pm
      Christ that was piss poor.....cant believe we only scored 3.

TAA was utter sh*te he let Sane go past him at least twice in the whole 90 minutes and as for Robertson well what a mug he didn't get beat all night just dreadful stuff.

Salah you can do one, scoring one and creating one isn't good enough.

Roll on Tuesday same again please Redmen.......
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #482: Apr 05, 2018 03:40:28 pm

We’ve been/getting charged.

Quick Reply