Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool 10/04/18 19:45pm

Read 18253 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool 10/04/18 19:45pm
      Reply #46: Apr 09, 2018 10:04:34 am
      Scoring first will knock the stuffing out of City. They will come out, guns all blazing, the way I see it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #47: Apr 09, 2018 10:05:47 am
      Only change in the XI for me is Gini.

The key is to not panic when they throw the kitchen sink at us
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #48: Apr 09, 2018 10:43:25 am
      Scoring first will knock the stuffing out of City. They will come out, guns all blazing, the way I see it.
      Deffo,as a few of us have mentioned
      They have very little choice but to throw the kitchen sink at us but as yourself and others have said if we get that all important first goal it really will take the preverbeal wind out there sails.
      I very much doubt we will sit on that 3-0 lead & I hope we don't,can see us exploiting them on the counter & be just as devestating as we have been for most of the season ,the semis becons & we are 90 plus minutes away from it & I can't F***ing wait.
      Harrisimo

• 8,280 posts | 1396 
      Reply #49: Apr 09, 2018 10:45:08 am
      Any news on Salah?

Will he bit fit for tomorrow?

Been reported that he was having treatment in a pressurised hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Breathing pure oxygen to try and speed up the recovery. Not sure if the report was fact. I didn't know the club used Hyperbaric chambers.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Apr 09, 2018 10:45:49 am
      Realistically I think we will lose the match, but all we have to do is score 1to be sure of progressing. I fairly confident that we'll be in the Semi final draw.
      Harrisimo

• 8,280 posts | 1396 
      Reply #51: Apr 09, 2018 10:57:57 am
      Klopp might consider playing a 4-4-2 with just 2 out of Mane,Bob,Salah. Bringing Clyne into midfield with TAA at full back. Or Moreno to help bolster the midfield.

Wijnaldum, Milner,Ox, Glyne in midfield. Bob & Salah up top. We have to snarl it up from the kick off, not sit deep but crowd them early on.

Or he might play Klav in a 5 man defense. Many saying..Wijnaldum, Ox, Milner,Mane,Bob,Salah...quite an attacking line up but if we concede early with that line up we could open up. That line up put a lot of pressure on Wijnaldum. This isn't an attacking contest, we need to do a number on them. So I would go with the extra man in midfield.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,537 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #52: Apr 09, 2018 11:08:47 am
      Im more nervous for this game over the first even with a 3-0 cushion... my head thinks City will win, but I also think we’ll get that away goal so it doesn’t matter... 2-1 City...

I hope I’m wrong and we tear em apart again though...
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #53: Apr 09, 2018 11:11:02 am
      Here's a thought.

can you imagine going to the Etihad with this defence;

Mignolet
      Gomez Lovern Matip Moreno

Thank heavens for
                Karius
      Trent Lovren VDV Robertson

still need a new centre half in the summer
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #54: Apr 09, 2018 11:27:39 am
      If we play our natural game we'll go through, we might lose on the night but we'll score and get through. We just can't afford to panic and stop playing football if we concede the first goal (especially early) - this team has a habit of doing exactly that with Sevilla, Arsenal and United away coming to mind. We need to go out there and show that with Karius/Van Dijk/Robertson in there now that we've turned a corner.

Tactically I don't think it's the right time to be changing it up significantly and I don't see Klopp doing it anyway. Just Gini in for Henderson.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #55: Apr 09, 2018 11:42:36 am
      I think you'd be hard pressed to see us not score at all and even 1 goal makes it a pretty ridiculous task for City to come back. If they can score 5 against us in one game (without a red card for VVD) then my hat's off to them.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #56: Apr 09, 2018 11:45:28 am
      We need to play as if it's the first leg.

Which half? ;)

If they can score 5 against us in one game (without a red card for VVD) then my hat's off to them.

Go back in to your house and burn every hat you own! ;)
      Harrisimo

• 8,280 posts | 1396 
      Reply #57: Apr 09, 2018 11:48:34 am
      If we play our natural game we'll go through, we might lose on the night but we'll score and get through. We just can't afford to panic and stop playing football if we concede the first goal (especially early) - this team has a habit of doing exactly that with Sevilla, Arsenal and United away coming to mind. We need to go out there and show that with Karius/Van Dijk/Robertson in there now that we've turned a corner.

Tactically I don't think it's the right time to be changing it up significantly and I don't see Klopp doing it anyway. Just Gini in for Henderson.

I think we have to look at bolstering the midfield. A mid of Ox, Milner and Wijnaldum isn't enough. Tactics must come into it. We will be defending a 3 goal lead so we can't just pitch up and expect to play our normal high line attacking game. We will have to snarl it up in midfield.

Klopp may well go for broke. He's a gutsy attacking coach and your post may well be correct. I just think we should shore up midfield because if they get in early it's anybody's guess as to how it might pan out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #58: Apr 09, 2018 11:48:59 am
      I think 2-2 at City. They will be attacking so much, they'll need to leave spaces at the back

Initially I had this as a cert for some kind of City win but I'm coming round to the idea of it being a score draw on the night.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #59: Apr 09, 2018 11:54:41 am
      I'm absolutely buzzing for this. I've spent £500 on the black market just to get a ticket in the liverpool end. Wasn't missing this game for anything though.

I'm so nervous but so excited at the same time. I think we need to score if we're going to progress to the semi's.

Even though I'd spend most of the evening crying and feeling sick, in a weird way I hope city are smashing us 4-0 to the point we haven't had a shot all game and we've only had 20% possession. The fourth official puts his board up and there's 4 minutes added time. It's coming up to 90+4 and we get a corner. Jimmy Milner whips a sh*t ball in that doesn't beat the first man and he heads it clear. The header is poor though and only reaches the edge of the box where raggy klav is running onto it and smashes one with his shin and it flys into the bottom corner. Absolute scenes.

If it happens then look out for the 30 year old in the black berghaus coat who's jumping all over our players on the pitch piling on. That's me.
      Harrisimo

• 8,280 posts | 1396 
      Reply #60: Apr 09, 2018 12:03:01 pm
      Initially I had this as a cert for some kind of City win but I'm coming round to the idea of it being a score draw on the night.

I think City will score at least 2 possibly 3. It will be a scary night. Pep slipped up not playing Sterling in the first leg. Don't know if Aguero is fit. But still they will be coming at us from the off. We will have to fight and scrap for everything in the first 20 minutes.

1 goal can quickly become 2 obviously so it will be a nerve wrenching game. I deffo think we need to bolster the midfield. They are a footballing team and we need to snarl them up, crowd them. Give them no room to damage us. Can't leave TAA to take on Sterling, we need extra back up, that's why I'm saying Clyne should be in midfield to give extra cover for TAA and help shield the back 4.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #61: Apr 09, 2018 12:09:30 pm
      Not as confident going into this game as I was when we faced off at Anfield...

We need that one goal in the first half leaving City requiring 5 to win the game..

Squeaky bum time..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3416 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #62: Apr 09, 2018 12:16:39 pm
      I think City will score at least 2 possibly 3. It will be a scary night. Pep slipped up not playing Sterling in the first leg. Don't know if Aguero is fit. But still they will be coming at us from the off. We will have to fight and scrap for everything in the first 20 minutes.

1 goal can quickly become 2 obviously so it will be a nerve wrenching game. I deffo think we need to bolster the midfield. They are a footballing team and we need to snarl them up, crowd them. Give them no room to damage us. Can't leave TAA to take on Sterling, we need extra back up, that's why I'm saying Clyne should be in midfield to give extra cover for TAA and help shield the back 4.

Would rather have trent in front of clyne as a good attacking option as well.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #63: Apr 09, 2018 12:36:19 pm
      I'm absolutely buzzing for this. I've spent £500 on the black market just to get a ticket in the liverpool end. Wasn't missing this game for anything though.

I'm so nervous but so excited at the same time. I think we need to score if we're going to progress to the semi's.

Even though I'd spend most of the evening crying and feeling sick, in a weird way I hope city are smashing us 4-0 to the point we haven't had a shot all game and we've only had 20% possession. The fourth official puts his board up and there's 4 minutes added time. It's coming up to 90+4 and we get a corner. Jimmy Milner whips a sh*t ball in that doesn't beat the first man and he heads it clear. The header is poor though and only reaches the edge of the box where raggy klav is running onto it and smashes one with his shin and it flys into the bottom corner. Absolute scenes.

If it happens then look out for the 30 year old in the black berghaus coat who's jumping all over our players on the pitch piling on. That's me.
      F**k,if that's how the game pans out
      I'll be in A&E at the royal Liverpool by the time the clock hits 90.,but then again once
      The whistle goes I'll be running up and down the ward celebrating like a man possessed just before they section me in a padded room.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #64: Apr 09, 2018 12:56:38 pm
      I don't think City can both attack like they need to and also keep a clean sheet.

This is set up perfectly for us. We thrive on teams that need to score against us and hit them on the counter. I can see lots of goals in this one, and that's great for us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #65: Apr 09, 2018 01:12:34 pm
      It's good that so many of us are confident. I am too.

But anything can happen in football. Aguero could be clean through in the first 2 minutes. Karius comes rushing out but doesn't get the ball and he cleans him out. We're down to 10 men and they have a penalty.

I'm not being negative I'm just keeping my feet on the ground. I'm sure klopp will be saying to our boys in the changies tomorrow do not do anything daft.

The thing that worries me most is our midfield being incapable of keeping hold of the ball when we need a breather. Top teams can keep the ball against other top teams for 5/10 minute spells and kill the game and slow it right down. We can't do this and we saw it in the second half at anfield.

We have many other strengths though which we're all aware of. I think it's essential that we score tomorrow. Whenever we have our backs to the wall just clear the ball, go long, and then get out and press.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #66: Apr 09, 2018 01:27:12 pm
      It's good that so many of us are confident. I am too.

But anything can happen in football. Aguero could be clean through in the first 2 minutes. Karius comes rushing out but doesn't get the ball and he cleans him out. We're down to 10 men and they have a penalty.

I'm not being negative I'm just keeping my feet on the ground. I'm sure klopp will be saying to our boys in the changies tomorrow do not do anything daft.

The thing that worries me most is our midfield being incapable of keeping hold of the ball when we need a breather. Top teams can keep the ball against other top teams for 5/10 minute spells and kill the game and slow it right down. We can't do this and we saw it in the second half at anfield.

We have many other strengths though which we're all aware of. I think it's essential that we score tomorrow. Whenever we have our backs to the wall just clear the ball, go long, and then get out and press.

Exaltly, I don’t care how we play tomorrow but as long as we ain’t trying to dance the ball out from the back then I’ll be happy.

We’re all banking on that goal we need, it will be massive if we score just one. Salah will be well up for this and I know he’ll get a few chances (that’s all he needs).

Mane too, I think he has a point to prove to the Etihad.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #67: Apr 09, 2018 01:30:14 pm
      we need to defend well and Karius must play a blinder.  Saying that we must keep composed because city will come at us from the start and we are more than capable of hitting them on the break. 2-2.

YNWA :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #68: Apr 09, 2018 01:38:46 pm
      City are a great team, but these ties are decided by small things, I believe City lost the tie in that 20 minute spell. No mater how good they're coming back from 3 down with no away goals its something incredibly difficult, I don't see ud losing the tie (even though it could happed) unless we play the worst game of the season combined with an awful refereeing.

It's going to be a nervy game until we score a goal, hopefully it'll be in the first half. 2-2

Quick Reply