Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool 10/04/18 19:45pm

Read 18246 times
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man City v Liverpool 10/04/18 19:45pm
      Reply #69: Apr 09, 2018 01:44:46 pm
      Good shout!! No doubt Sane and Sterling as the "wing backs" pushed up as wide forwards to make it 4 attackers and really stretching us. F**k, I am not sure how to deal with this? Anyone have any ideas? Do we just hit them on the counter or just press high?

Remember what we did against Hoffenheim and Arsenal when they played a 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 / 3-4-2-1? We identified the weakest of the wide CB's (Bikakcic / Holding) and told Mane to stay high up the field to allow him to get in positions where he would be 1 v 1 with a CB. You have to trust your FB to deal with two players, which Moreno did really well in those games. It was a high risk / high reward tactic which worked perfectly. All depends on whether Klopp wants to go out and get the early goal or not.

We actually did the same in our 5-0 loss against them early on in the season. We left Salah up high and got him 1 v 1 against Otamendi who was on a yellow within 10 minutes. I'd play as we usually do, just slightly more cautious and we'll have to choose our moments wisely. City will be nervous as f**k, we're the ones leading 3-0, they'll make mistakes when they rush things to score an early goal and we have to be ready to pounce.

All in all it doesn't really matter how they line up against us. This is pretty much their shape in their game against us on Wednesday:

On paper it was a 4-3-3 with Laporte as a LB, in reality it was some kind of 3-4-2-1. Can't really put a formation on that, but they clearly played three at the back, which is what we're looking for. Laporte stayed really close to Salah and didn't push up. Sane pushed up high and Walker too. Problem was that Gundogan offered nothing at all.

Pep can't play both Sterling and Sane and also play Jesus and Aguero. He'd have to leave out David Silva, who is far too important to exploit spaces in and around the box. Well he could play both Sane and Sterling as wingbacks, but our front three will absolutely love that. Sterling isn't a defender. If he plays them both + both strikers, they'll only have 4 defensive minded players on the pitch. That's not enough when you're playing against us. Walker will play, he was rested against the Mancs. So if he plays the two strikers, it'll be Gundogan missing out and Sterling will be on the bench again. All it will do is give us more space in midfield to run at their back three.

I think we have to look at bolstering the midfield. A mid of Ox, Milner and Wijnaldum isn't enough. Tactics must come into it. We will be defending a 3 goal lead so we can't just pitch up and expect to play our normal high line attacking game. We will have to snarl it up in midfield.

Klopp may well go for broke. He's a gutsy attacking coach and your post may well be correct. I just think we should shore up midfield because if they get in early it's anybody's guess as to how it might pan out.

We don't need to bolster midfield at all. Three is enough and Firmino dropping deep effectively gives us four players in midfield. Mane also moves into midfield, depending on where the ball is. It's the halfspaces we need to protect, not the wide areas. Let them play their cross field passes, doesn't matter, as long as we shift quickly enough as a team and don't allow Silva and De Bruyne to get on the ball in those half spaces. Clyne isn't going to help prevent that, he has never done that kind of defending from a midfield position. Our midfield did brilliantly on Wednesday, no need to change the shape, the shape was near perfect all game.

I don't think City can both attack like they need to and also keep a clean sheet.

This is set up perfectly for us. We thrive on teams that need to score against us and hit them on the counter. I can see lots of goals in this one, and that's great for us.

Exactly. People have to keep in mind that there's one thing City absolutely want to avoid: concede an early goal. We score early, the game is dead. If I were Pep, I'd tell my players to play as usual, dominate possession, wear the opposition down and wait for gaps to open up. If they make it to half time 0-0, they still have plenty of time to throw the kitchen sink at us, at least they won't be out of the tie by the time the first half is over.

If they throw everything they've got at us from the start, one mistake from their defenders puts the tie to bed.
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2018 02:08:23 pm by Danzel »
      +10
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #70: Apr 09, 2018 02:08:46 pm
      One goal is all we need to put them under the kosh. They'll be confident they can score 4 goals I think but 5, I'm not so sure. We will have to be disiplined but go there and just play the way we know we can. If Salah is fit I'm pretty confident we go through but If not it will make it a damp sight harder. We need big games from everyone from here on in but I'll stick to my guns in what I've said on here previously, whoever goes through from this wins the whole competition.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #71: Apr 09, 2018 02:13:01 pm

If we play both halfs with the same result I would take any one. But won't be go for our health :P
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #72: Apr 09, 2018 02:25:50 pm
      (Taken from Facebook post)

Remember when: Oxlade-Chamberlain was a waste of money; buying Robertson lacked ambition; Karius was a sexy Bogdan; Van Dijk would never singlehandedly fix our defensive woes – ohh, and Firmino wasn’t a striker.

We’re 90 minutes away from a Champions League Semi-Final....
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #73: Apr 09, 2018 02:31:35 pm
      Klopp will have been working on a plan for this game all week.  It seems Can will still be injured, and Hendo is suspended.  Mane put in a lot of running on Saturday, so I won't be surprised to see him on the bench to be used as a super sub.  City need to throw caution to the wind, so a defensive setup to play on the counter will suit us.  I'd personally go for:

Karius
      TAA - Lovren - VVD - Robbo
      Chambo - Milner - Gini - Moreno
      Firmino
      Salah
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #74: Apr 09, 2018 03:46:25 pm
      Remember what we did against Hoffenheim and Arsenal when they played a 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 / 3-4-2-1? We identified the weakest of the wide CB's (Bikakcic / Holding) and told Mane to stay high up the field to allow him to get in positions where he would be 1 v 1 with a CB. You have to trust your FB to deal with two players, which Moreno did really well in those games. It was a high risk / high reward tactic which worked perfectly. All depends on whether Klopp wants to go out and get the early goal or not.

We actually did the same in our 5-0 loss against them early on in the season. We left Salah up high and got him 1 v 1 against Otamendi who was on a yellow within 10 minutes. I'd play as we usually do, just slightly more cautious and we'll have to choose our moments wisely. City will be nervous as f**k, we're the ones leading 3-0, they'll make mistakes when they rush things to score an early goal and we have to be ready to pounce.

All in all it doesn't really matter how they line up against us. This is pretty much their shape in their game against us on Wednesday:

On paper it was a 4-3-3 with Laporte as a LB, in reality it was some kind of 3-4-2-1. Can't really put a formation on that, but they clearly played three at the back, which is what we're looking for. Laporte stayed really close to Salah and didn't push up. Sane pushed up high and Walker too. Problem was that Gundogan offered nothing at all.

Pep can't play both Sterling and Sane and also play Jesus and Aguero. He'd have to leave out David Silva, who is far too important to exploit spaces in and around the box. Well he could play both Sane and Sterling as wingbacks, but our front three will absolutely love that. Sterling isn't a defender. If he plays them both + both strikers, they'll only have 4 defensive minded players on the pitch. That's not enough when you're playing against us. Walker will play, he was rested against the Mancs. So if he plays the two strikers, it'll be Gundogan missing out and Sterling will be on the bench again. All it will do is give us more space in midfield to run at their back three.

We don't need to bolster midfield at all. Three is enough and Firmino dropping deep effectively gives us four players in midfield. Mane also moves into midfield, depending on where the ball is. It's the halfspaces we need to protect, not the wide areas. Let them play their cross field passes, doesn't matter, as long as we shift quickly enough as a team and don't allow Silva and De Bruyne to get on the ball in those half spaces. Clyne isn't going to help prevent that, he has never done that kind of defending from a midfield position. Our midfield did brilliantly on Wednesday, no need to change the shape, the shape was near perfect all game.

Exactly. People have to keep in mind that there's one thing City absolutely want to avoid: concede an early goal. We score early, the game is dead. If I were Pep, I'd tell my players to play as usual, dominate possession, wear the opposition down and wait for gaps to open up. If they make it to half time 0-0, they still have plenty of time to throw the kitchen sink at us, at least they won't be out of the tie by the time the first half is over.

If they throw everything they've got at us from the start, one mistake from their defenders puts the tie to bed.

Important to this will be Gini, recognizing the decision-making divide between playing enough to keep decision and the time to be more pragmatic in clearing danger when they attack. I think he is one of our more intelligent footballers and while he hasn't been in this particular role an awful lot, I trust him to deliver on this and start a few counters as well.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #75: Apr 09, 2018 03:49:41 pm

And I heard Stones is gonna start :P
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #76: Apr 09, 2018 04:02:08 pm
      Not going through now would be F***ing unbearable and would literally send me in to a mental hospital
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,267 posts | 1393 
      Reply #77: Apr 09, 2018 04:15:51 pm

Your plan to use Bob and Mane falls apart if you expect us to score early. This isn't Pep planning some tactical masterclass. He is attacking us from the off with serious intent and if they score they will ramp it up to the max.

We do need to bolster the midfield but with defenders..not Bob or Mane as make do make shift midfielders. Obviously Bob & Mane will still drop deep when we lose possession but we need a bit of extra protection. We may need that spare man to track De Bruyne

Don't lose sight of the fact that we are attempting to defend a 3 goal lead and that is our priority and our gameplan should be centered on that.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #78: Apr 09, 2018 04:26:15 pm
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #79: Apr 09, 2018 04:31:35 pm
      This is going to be such a crazy game. Pep won't screw about, they need to go for goals from the off. I fully expect them to play a 3-5-2, with De Bryune dropping back to the quarterback role.

Ederson
                  Otamendi        Kompany      LaPorte   
      Sterling   De Bruyne       Silva    Fernandinho     Sane
                                    Aguero        Jesus

vs
                   Mane                Firmino             Salah
                     Milner          Wjnaldum     Chamberlaine
      Robertson        Van Dijk          Lovren          Alexander-Arnold
                                               Karius

As with the first leg, the  game will be won on the wings (and we need our midfield three to pay a blinder).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #80: Apr 09, 2018 04:56:32 pm
      Not going through now would be f**king unbearable and would literally send me in to a mental hospital

Already prepared the bag and said goodbye to my nearest and dearest
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #81: Apr 09, 2018 05:05:23 pm
      Bloody hell did nobody watch the match they had against Manure? They are fu**ed at the moment and believe you me they are far more scared of us than we are of them. We should blitz them at the start, try to get an early goal, if that doesn't work then sit back, soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter.
      I'm not saying I'm not nervous as anything can happen but they are going to have to play the game of their season, if not careers, whilst we play the worst of ours.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #82: Apr 09, 2018 05:46:09 pm
      Salah training with the lads in the starting XI colours
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #83: Apr 09, 2018 05:46:32 pm
      Sky showing Salah training with the rest of the team at Melwood on SSN, he's fine!!!! 8)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #84: Apr 09, 2018 06:00:46 pm
      He is attacking us from the off with serious intent and if they score they will ramp it up to the max.

What exactly were they doing once Sterling came on last week? Strolling around Anfield? They will have to play some defense, not getting why everyone just acts like we are going to just roll over and show our belly. This is a new defensive team, still prone to some errors, but mostly solid, especially with big Virg back there.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #85: Apr 09, 2018 06:05:01 pm
      He is attacking us from the off with serious intent

Good, that should leave space for Bobby, Salah and Mane to go to work!!

We can nick an away goal at the Emptyhad, no problem.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #86: Apr 09, 2018 06:33:47 pm
      Robbo also passed fit and took part in training.

We're good.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #87: Apr 09, 2018 07:13:58 pm
      Honestly I don't think Pep is going to set his game to go all-in attacking us in a desperate way. He knows that if we score a goal is over, they're not going to score 5 nor 6 unless some disaster happens (I don't believe it's going to happen). This season we have allowed more than 3 goals twice: against City 5-0 and 4-1 against Tottenham. Only one of those results would see us eliminated.

Since VVD came only one game we have allowed 3 goals in one game (against City and he didn't play), and we have conceeded 15 goals in 17 games (0.88 per game).

City are good, but small things can define a tie, and that 20 minute spell where we scored 3 pretty much defined this one. It's going to be a tight game, and they can win for sure, but IMO for they to go through they'll have to do something really, really special, one of those historic games that combined with one if not the worst Liverpool performance of the season.

Edit: just for comparison, in those same 17 games we have scored 39 goals (2.29 per game).
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #88: Apr 09, 2018 07:28:30 pm
      Quaking all ready hope Salha is fit, be nice to get an early goal
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,690 posts | 3711 
      Reply #89: Apr 09, 2018 07:30:47 pm
      Don't scroll down if you're a vegetarian... but we need to show our ba... YNWA :)
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      l
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #90: Apr 09, 2018 08:29:58 pm
      As confident as everyone seems, I’m shitting it already.
      We are good, very very good.
      I also know city are capable of scoring 3 against anyone.
      On our day we’ll beat them as we have done more often in recent times.
      But I’m still shitting it 😳
      Be glad when our first one goes in, be able to get back to normality.
      After the roaring and screaming of course 😁
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #91: Apr 09, 2018 08:41:53 pm
      More nervous about this game than any other for ages, just hope my bad vibes are just the usual pre match nerves and pessimism

Quick Reply