Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. You can only choose one

Guaranteed top four
      11 (19%)
      Guaranteed to play in the European Cup final
      47 (81%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Apr 21, 2018 12:21:56 am

Top four or reach the final?

Read 6755 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Top four or reach the final?
      Reply #23: Apr 11, 2018 10:34:30 am
      The chance to win it or the chance to qualify for it?

Easy as piss.

Off to Kiev we go!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #24: Apr 11, 2018 01:59:13 pm
      I don't take anything for granted anymore especially in football. There are no gaurentees that we will get to the final, there are no guarantees that we will stay in the top 4, ok it would be a total melt down if we didn't get top 4 now but we have to be consistantly reaching this competition every year, not one year in 3 or 4 years out like we have been doing. Yes it would be fantastic to get to the final and win it and I believe in this squad and manager to do that. We have a great chance but let's take one game at a time. I remember the europa league final and all my mates saying that the way we were playing at that time that we were a shoe in to win it especially after that dortmund game and look what happened there. If we do get to the final and win then it's a fantastic achievement but we have to go out and win it first and that's going to be difficult, like it will be for any of the other teams. That's why I voted for top 4 because we need to be in this competition every year for financial and competitive reasons. The glory days are coming back, I'm sure of that with our current manager and for that to happen we need the finance to improve this squad to take us to that top level that the other teams that reach this competition every year do. We've done it 5 times before we can do it again and possibly get another 5 but to do that we need to be in the competition in the first place.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Apr 11, 2018 02:59:40 pm
      If we can only have 1 then top 4 to be able to attract the best players but in all reality top 4 is almost as certain for us as winning the league is for Citeh. Both could miss out but it would take an almighty f**k up.

Anyway CL, I think if we can get to final then we'll win and at the moment we have every chance.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #26: Apr 11, 2018 03:47:58 pm
      99.99% chance of top four and 100% chance of final. I'll take that.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #27: Apr 11, 2018 04:03:25 pm
      You'd probably see a few more votes for the "Guaranteed Top 4" option if we were currently sat in 5th or 6th. 

At this moment, we're going to be a really attractive option for top level talent this summer.  Players will see the exciting, attacking footie that we are playing and they will want to be a part of it.  However, if we failed to secure a CL spot, some of those players might opt for other destinations. 

The ultimate goal is to win trophies, so the easy response is to vote for a 1-off game where we could secure the biggest prize in club footie.  However, we are only about 4 top level players away from being able to genuinely compete for Prem and CL glory on a consistent basis.  If we dropped out of the CL for the 18/19 season, we may not be able to recruit the level of player necessary to make that final step up. 

At the end of the day, we are almost a lock for a top 4 spot so we should be able to fully commit to our European Cup run.  Whether we make the final or not, it's been an incredible run and we are finally getting back to where we belong -- among the elite clubs in England and Europe.  City ran away with the league this term, but I'm confident that next season we will make a genuine run at it. 
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #28: Apr 11, 2018 04:06:52 pm
      Win the next 3 and we seal top4! The semi final is sandwiched between the bottom 2 clubs, West Brom away and Stoke home. So they are gonna fight tooth and nail for their life, although the Baggies are actually gone. The likes of Solanke, Ings, Woodburn, Clyne, Moreno and half of our 'CL-XI' would be rotated for these games. Think 9 points is gettable and still be fit enough for both legs of the semi final!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29: Apr 11, 2018 08:38:47 pm
      You'd probably see a few more votes for the "Guaranteed Top 4" option if we were currently sat in 5th or 6th.   

Maybe but not from me mate.

I'd take a place in the final over a top four finish every day of the week.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: Apr 11, 2018 08:47:09 pm
      Both please, both very attainable so let's go for it
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #31: Apr 11, 2018 09:17:19 pm
      Maybe but not from me mate.

I'd take a place in the final over a top four finish every day of the week.

Question:  What is more important to help us achieve our long term goal of building a team capable of winning silverware annually?

Making it to the CL final, but losing. 

OR

Finishing top 4 and qualifying for the group stage for next season. 

To be transparent -- I voted for "A Place in the Final" in the original poll.  However, if we take a long term view, it is critical for us to qualify again next year in order to be able to recruit elite level players and continue to build on the foundation that Klopp has established.  Obviously, winning the final would give us automatic qualification AND an even greater appeal to the members of the elite talent pool that Klopp needs to dip into.  But if I was going to pick an answer to the question that I posed, my answer would be top 4. 

Follow up questions:  Would Salah have joined last summer if we hadn't been in the CL?  Would we be where we are (in the CL semifinals) without him?  How much better could we be with another few players of his ilk?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #32: Apr 11, 2018 09:29:27 pm
      I'd rather get to the Supercup Final, then top 4 isn't an issue.... If you get my drift.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #33: Apr 11, 2018 09:47:47 pm
      Watching Madrid celebrate the way they did with that soft penalty. I can’t wait to knock these cu*ts out !
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Apr 11, 2018 09:52:09 pm
      Watching Madrid celebrate the way they did with that soft penalty. I can’t wait to knock these cu*ts out !

Oliver that quality premier league ref!
      No wonder we have no refs at the world cup
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #35: Apr 11, 2018 09:53:33 pm
      Oliver that quality premier league ref!
      No wonder we have no refs at the world cup

Not everyone here is English ! Don’t include me in that group. Canada doesn’t even qualify for world cups 🙈
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 242 
      Reply #36: Apr 11, 2018 09:59:06 pm
      Not everyone here is English ! Don’t include me in that group. Canada doesn’t even qualify for world cups 🙈

Apologies, any of your refs at the world cup ?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #37: Apr 11, 2018 10:26:14 pm
      The chance to make history. Or the chance to qualify.
      Is this a serious question?
      Arsenal qualified for it for 20 odd years straight and look at them now.
      Even if it meant we never won the final and missed out next season I would still take the final every single day of the week. Chances like these don’t come round very often no matter how good a team or what you spend or what calibre of player you buy. PSG and City being prime examples
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #38: Apr 11, 2018 10:28:58 pm
      What a stupid poll. Why be in it if you can't win it?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #39: Apr 11, 2018 10:45:09 pm
      The whole point of making top 4, is that we qualify and compete for the European Cup. It's not much of a recruiting tool if we're only buying 4 new players per year.

We will make top 4 fairly comfortably anyway, so I don't think we need to choose.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #40: Apr 13, 2018 10:05:24 am

I want it all as a big club's fan.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018 10:14:45 am by nikos »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #41: Apr 13, 2018 10:29:47 am
      Question:  What is more important to help us achieve our long term goal of building a team capable of winning silverware annually?

Making it to the CL final, but losing. 

OR

Finishing top 4 and qualifying for the group stage for next season. 

To be transparent -- I voted for "A Place in the Final" in the original poll.  However, if we take a long term view, it is critical for us to qualify again next year in order to be able to recruit elite level players and continue to build on the foundation that Klopp has established.  Obviously, winning the final would give us automatic qualification AND an even greater appeal to the members of the elite talent pool that Klopp needs to dip into.  But if I was going to pick an answer to the question that I posed, my answer would be top 4. 

Follow up questions:  Would Salah have joined last summer if we hadn't been in the CL?  Would we be where we are (in the CL semifinals) without him?  How much better could we be with another few players of his ilk?

On the flipside though what if we qualified every season like Arsenal used to and never got anywhere with it?

I do get your point mate but for me football is all about winning and I'd gamble on getting a place in the final, with a one game chance of winning, than a guaranteed top four every time without question.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #42: Apr 13, 2018 10:33:40 am
      Nice to reach the final, having said that not so nice to lose the final. Already almost guaranteed top four finish, bar huge slump in form. Do not think that I will bother to vote.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Apr 13, 2018 11:37:49 am
      The chance to make history. Or the chance to qualify.
      Is this a serious question?
      Arsenal qualified for it for 20 odd years straight and look at them now.
      Even if it meant we never won the final and missed out next season I would still take the final every single day of the week. Chances like these don’t come round very often no matter how good a team or what you spend or what calibre of player you buy. PSG and City being prime examples

Seems to come round fairly regularly for Real Madrid and Bayern ;-)
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #44: Apr 13, 2018 02:39:03 pm
      This will be the type of question management has for the players. For allocating the bonus pot when there's limited bonuses. :Lmao:

"We're running low on bonuses. Would you like to be paid for top four or winning the semi finals?"

Why not both?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #45: Apr 13, 2018 04:38:55 pm
      To the eight "fans" who voted top four, all I can do is laugh!

What is the point in qualifying for the Champions League if your aim is to just keep qualifying and not winning!

Are ye Arsenal fans in disguise???

Quick Reply