Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

City's Disallowed Goal at the end of 1st Half

Read 4437 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      City's Disallowed Goal at the end of 1st Half
      Apr 11, 2018 04:42:02 pm
      So am I right to say that the rule is Milner has to have been ruled to intentionally play the ball when it came off him and was knocked into the net? It's not just that it touches him, but he has to have intentionally played it, correct?

And that is a judgment call on the part of the referee and his assistants, correct?

And at least three of them were looking at it as Milner is racing back toward goal and Karius' punch comes at him unexpectedly - and these three agreed that the "goal" was actually offside, thus  not a goal. We had a similar situation go against us vs. Spurs and a penalty award, didn't we?

I've heard more than a few commentators in the past 24 hours who don't appear to know the rule.  I realize you can still disagree with the decision on a judgment call - but it's not automatically a case of offside being negated because of the ball touching Milner.

Do I have this right?

Maybe it just seems like every time we accomplish something significant, there is someone out there trying to downplay or undermine it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018 04:46:17 pm by Robby The Z »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: City's Disallowed Goal at the end of 1st Half
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2018 04:46:07 pm
      So am I right to say that the rule is Milner has to have been ruled to intentionally play the ball when it came off him and was knocked into the net? It's not just that it touches him, but he has to have intentionally played it, correct?

And that is a judgment call on the part of the referee and his assistants, correct?

And at least three of them were looking at it as Milner is racing back toward goal and Karius' punch comes at him unexpectedly - and these three agreed that the "goal" was actually offside, thus  not a goal. We had a similar situation go against us vs. Spurs and a penalty award, didn't we?

I've heard more than a few commentators in the past 24 hours who don't appear to know the rule.  I realize you can still disagree with the decision on a judgment call - but it's not automatically a case of offside being negated because of the ball touching Milner.

Do I have this right?

I have no f**king idea anymore, these officials/ex pro's just make up the rules each game to suit their needs.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2018 04:47:54 pm

Do I have this right?

Maybe it just seems like every time we accomplish something significant, there is someone out there trying to downplay or undermine it.
      Why make a thread to glorify their sour grapes? do you think man city forums have a post about their goal that should have been a free kick in the 2nd minute?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2018 04:50:58 pm
      Who cares makes the win even more sweet if it was offside  :D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Apr 11, 2018 05:05:00 pm
      Onside for me.

Cool
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Apr 11, 2018 05:06:29 pm
      The rule book is a funny thing but in the end I really don't care because if Man City fans want to use this as an excuse instead of focusing on why they were thoroughly outplayed by us over 180 minutes then I'm more than happy for them to do so.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Apr 11, 2018 05:26:09 pm
      What about a sterling fouling vvd thread or otamendi is a pussy thread?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Apr 11, 2018 05:30:32 pm

Don't know what was more embarrassing for Otamendi. Going all 'opening scene of Saving Private Ryan' on the ground early on in the first half or making a complete tit of himself against Firmino later on in the second.

Karma comes to mind. Sweet.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2018 05:36:38 pm
      Don't know what was more embarrassing for Otamendi. Going all 'opening scene of Saving Private Ryan' on the ground early on in the first half or making a complete tit of himself against Firmino later on in the second.

Karma comes to mind. Sweet.

I'll give a slight edge to Bobby de-pantsing him and scoring the winner.  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2018 05:40:22 pm

It just frosts my pumpkin the way these things are selectively remembered (with revisions), when we are on the receiving end of some highway robberies (including that unpenalized foul on Virgil in the early going and just about the entire match vs. Spurs). I saw some of this after we beat them 4-3 in the league, some seemingly rationalizing that since someone kicked the ball into our net after the whistle had gone, that we had been really lucky not to concede.

Sorry if it is a meaningless thread. Just wanted to say we won fair and square, and impressively at that.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2018 05:49:14 pm
      My first thought was good goal,then offside goal then good goal again.It's F***ing sh*te that a simple offside rule has been fu**ed around with so no f**ker really knows what is going on.So the gobshites on telly/ social media can dissect every tiny F***ing detail and generaly moan about how their team is getting fu**ed over by the powers that be! We're thru they are out.HA F***ing HA!! Now where's the headache pills.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2018 07:10:25 pm
      Who cares. F**k em.

Remember a few years ago when we were going for the title and Sterling was given offside at the Etihad when he was in on goal and was an easy 10 yards onside? Karma.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2018 07:27:18 pm
      It was a goal but that what makes it sweeter :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2018 07:27:45 pm
      F**k it, what about the consistent diving from Sterling and co?
      They got beat, deserved no more no less.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #14: Apr 11, 2018 07:43:12 pm
      It just frosts my pumpkin the way these things are selectively remembered (with revisions), when we are on the receiving end of some highway robberies (including that unpenalized foul on Virgil in the early going and just about the entire match vs. Spurs). I saw some of this after we beat them 4-3 in the league, some seemingly rationalizing that since someone kicked the ball into our net after the whistle had gone, that we had been really lucky not to concede.

Sorry if it is a meaningless thread. Just wanted to say we won fair and square, and impressively at that.

Agree, reading some of the papers today it was all about the ref , although some did think it was a foul on vvd, albeit buried away in the match reports, should have guessed that giving us credit would be too much for some.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #15: Apr 11, 2018 07:51:06 pm

Do I have this right?

From the FA website

Q4: Can a player who interferes with play after a rebound or save be given offside?
      YES – interfering with an opponent or play after a rebound or save is clearly an offside offence if the player was originally in an offside position.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Apr 11, 2018 08:08:01 pm
      Who gives a F**k, Ederson should have been sent off for pushing Mane five times in about ten seconds anyway.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Apr 11, 2018 08:14:09 pm
      Who gives a f**k, Ederson should have been sent off for pushing Mane five times in about ten seconds anyway.

Yeah Mane was too honest there, if he'd tumbled over clutching his face then Ederson would have been sent off, but I like that our players don't cheat.
      Plus are high kicks ok again now because Citeh did loads of dangerous high kicks and not a single one if them were penalised.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Apr 11, 2018 08:25:30 pm

And people starting threads about it 😊
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Apr 11, 2018 08:55:11 pm
      I did refer to Law 11...the offside rules in the match thread. It appears that Milner would've had to play at the ball deliberatly to play Sane onside. If it rebounds off him accidently and Sane is in an offside position when he receives the ball, then he is penalised and a free kick is awarded to Liverpool.

Whether the Ass.Ref gave offside for that reason we don't really know. City could claim Milner reacted  to slowly and knocked it with his knee toward the goal.

To be fair in most cases with those circumstances the goal would've stood. It would've been a very lucky goal for City anyway. Perhaps the Ass.Ref did tell the Ref it was an accidental rebound by Milner and justice was done.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Apr 11, 2018 09:40:49 pm
      What about the contact from Jesus on the back of Milner leg... foul?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #21: Apr 11, 2018 11:57:03 pm
      Unluckkkkkkky 👋🏻
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #22: Apr 12, 2018 03:52:17 am
      Not that it matters, but here's my thoughts.

Regardless of Milner's intentions, Karius punched the ball anyway, so deliberate or not Milner was never playing Sane onside, as from the punch he was onside anyway.

Refereeing decisions did not decide this game, and we had a few dodgy calls ourselves.

Quick Reply