Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you want in the semi final?

Roma
      26 (32.9%)
      Real Madrid
      29 (36.7%)
      Bayern Munich
      24 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: Apr 13, 2018 10:20:12 pm

UEFA CL Semi Final - Who do you want? (Spoiler, it's AS Roma)

Read 20016 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: UEFA CL Semi Final - Who do you want? (Spoiler, it's AS Roma)
      Reply #207: Apr 14, 2018 08:26:28 am
      Billy mate  a wee education.

The owners of both us and of Roma are Boston based.

Jimmy Palotta co owner of the Celtics and AS Roma.   

Our crew .....owners of the Red Sox who BTW had a serious case of handbags with the NY Yankees a couple of days ago.

There's the link.

Oh i see, got it now, thanks for the heads up mate, appreciate being taught something new ,

And my apologies for my ignorance!

YNWA
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #208: Apr 14, 2018 08:42:28 am
      Well, I know where I'll be for the second leg.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #209: Apr 14, 2018 09:00:42 am
      Petrified ??? We shouldn't! We are more than capable to play in their ground. If we have the right mind-set we will progress!

I panicked in the 2nd leg of the Citeh tie....it's just an excuse to consume more drugs mate.  ;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #210: Apr 14, 2018 12:00:24 pm
      I panicked in the 2nd leg of the Citeh tie....it's just an excuse to consume more drugs mate.  ;D

Stay calm mate, we either win or lose. I know that LFC is our life but there are much more things important: health and family! YNWA Aussie
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #211: Apr 14, 2018 12:56:03 pm
      Klopp - If anyone thinks Roma will be easy opponents for Liverpool I cannot help them

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent

April 14 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Jürgen Klopp does not usually allow himself to be caught up in reflections of Liverpool’s past but, at some point over the next ten days, he will settle down to watch two DVDs and indulge in a history lesson.

The backdrop will be the Stadio Olimpico in Rome for each, the first showreel dating from 1977 and the second chronicling 1984, with the ending gloriously familiar by the time he comes to press the stop button.

The Liverpool manager will brush up on how Borussia Mönchengladbach were vanquished 41 years ago for the first of the club’s five European Cups and how, returning to the scene of that famous success seven years later, it was the hosts themselves, Roma, who were downed in the final.

As soon as Liverpool were paired with the Italians again in yesterday’s draw for the semi-finals of the Champions League, the retracing of a passage in time synonymous with a rich European heritage became inevitable.

Klopp will take inspiration from the sight of Emlyn Hughes and Graeme Souness hoisting the trophy to the heavens, yet ultimately it will re-emphasise that it is time for a new chapter to be penned by his team as they endeavour to remain on course for another final in Kiev on May 26.

“I will watch them for sure because it is destiny or whatever,” Klopp said. “If any German goes to Bern in Switzerland he cannot avoid thinking about 1954 [when Germany won the World Cup].

“There are not a lot of people around on the planet from that time now but it is just a special place. You think, ‘OK, it happened here, well done, all these guys.’ Of course, if I find something that helped make this place even more remarkable or special for Liverpool, then I will use it.

“Thank God Rome is still Rome. It is the place, it is not who did what, it’s the place. I love our history but it is not allowed to compare us constantly. Those teams were great but they became great in these situations and now people say, ‘They did it like this.’

“I had a very famous German national player who was the coach of a second division team when I was in the second division. He did a shooting session and the boys were kind of my level, so not too good. This guy took the ball and scored five times and said, ‘Look it is not that difficult.’

“The boys were standing around and thinking now we know you can do it but we still have no clue. It is good to have role models, but in the end you have to do it your own way.”

Klopp was in the canteen at Melwood — Simon Mignolet was the only player around at the time — when the draw at Uefa’s headquarters in Nyon took place. The holders, Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich were paired first in the other tie, but his gut reaction was not to perform a cartwheel.

Liverpool, fresh from the thrill of their 5-1 quarter-final success over Manchester City, will find favouritism now lies with them. Furthermore, both Real and Bayern would have felt obliged to perform on the front foot, raising the prospect of being more susceptible to Liverpool’s counterattacking.

Roma will not be so naive, especially in the first leg at Anfield on Tuesday, April 24. They have not conceded a goal at home in the competition this season, so having the second leg in Italy on May 2 may favour Eusebio Di Francesco’s team.

Their route to the last four has been hard-fought, but the pedigree of Di Francesco’s side cannot be dismissed, having emerged from a group containing Atletico Madrid and Chelsea, with whom they drew 3-3 at Stamford Bridge and beat 3-0 in the return.

That is even before the quarter-final victory over Barcelona is considered, Roma overcoming a 4-1 first-leg deficit to win 3-0 and proceed on away goals.

“It was not that I thought, ‘Thank God not Bayern, thank God not Real Madrid, yippee Roma’ or the other way around,” Klopp said.
      “If anybody thinks this is the easiest draw, then I cannot help this person; they obviously didn’t see both games against Barcelona. In the first result, the 4-1, it was not like the game was — it was [Lionel] Messi genius against a good side of Roma. The second leg was outstanding. It was outstanding what they did.”

Liverpool, who will today mark the 29th anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy with a minute’s applause before the Premier League game at home to Bournemouth, are also brimming with self-belief — from players and former players to supporters.

“I think the relationship between us and the supporters was always good, but the belief from both sides has reached the next level and that is all credit to the boys because of the things that they did,” Klopp said.

“If the legends we all love are around and they are clapping it is because they like this. Kenny Dalglish is over the moon and completely on fire. Steven Gerrard, and all the other guys in between, you can feel it and see it. That’s cool.”

The subplot sees Mohamed Salah return to his former club for the first time since last summer’s £39.6million move to Anfield, while Liverpool’s interest in Roma’s Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson Becker has cooled, partly because of price but also because of the form of Loris Karius.

Salah scored 34 goals in 83 appearances during two seasons in Rome and has found the net 39 times in 44 games for Liverpool, highlighting his importance.

“When we came out for the Champions League training before Man City, I said, ‘Come on everybody, let’s go out naked because no one will realise — they are just looking at Mo,’ ” Klopp said, smiling. “Mo is so thankful. Now we go to Rome I don’t think the hype will be a little bit less.”

Liverpool’s history ensures it cannot be any other way.

The Times

nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #212: Apr 14, 2018 08:22:20 pm
      Red wine 🍷 proper drug, heart function enhancer not in the amount I had to consume though ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #213: Apr 15, 2018 12:42:31 am
      Stay calm mate, we either win or lose. I know that LFC is our life but there are much more things important: health and family! YNWA Aussie

There is no option. We win !!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #214: Apr 15, 2018 04:01:42 pm
      Salah will know the defence weaknesses. I'm sure he's gave Klopp the information needed.

Quick Reply