Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Summer friendlies in USA.

Read 11123 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Summer friendlies in USA.
      Reply #23: May 07, 2018 02:58:26 am
      I am in the supporters section behind the goal in Charlotte. I had to do it. Liverpool and Pulisic!!!! My 5 year old would never had forgiven me. $525 after shopping for 4 tickets. This will be our first game.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #24: May 17, 2018 04:51:52 am
      The tickets are CRAZY expensive. I have tickets to the Michigan Game, and the New Jersey game and they were $70/game. Its frustrating because the lads will be fresh off the world cup. Its unbelievable that they charge so much for a pre-season exhibition match...and I am too weak to say no
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #25: May 17, 2018 04:53:56 am
      Its penned in for Sat 11th Aug, that is unless Sky deem it otherwise

hahahha that TV money life...
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #26: May 17, 2018 12:38:26 pm
      The tickets are CRAZY expensive. I have tickets to the Michigan Game, and the New Jersey game and they were $70/game. Its frustrating because the lads will be fresh off the world cup. Its unbelievable that they charge so much for a pre-season exhibition match...and I am too weak to say no

Yeah, specially when you consider how big Michigan Stadium is.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: May 17, 2018 02:34:57 pm
      Yeah, specially when you consider how big Michigan Stadium is.

The Big House. I played a lacrosse match there a LONG time ago. There were about 100 people in a 100,000-seat stadium to watch. It was....quiet.

The way the pitch is down in the ground however (a true bowl), there really aren't bad seats in the house.

But as I said before, no Bobby, Sadio or Mo (plus Ox, Hendo, Trent or Lovren). I suppose United will be missing their biggest names as well (not that anyone is paying to see them).

Starting a new job as well, so it's really beginning to look like I might miss these, which I can hardly believe. Instead I'd rather save to make another trip to UK.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #28: May 17, 2018 03:07:35 pm
      Not a bad idea to save the money. I was able to schedule some work on the east coast the time Liverpool is here so I got kind of lucky.

Yeah I saw a MI vs Ohio State game when I was in college and it was crazy. Ultimately i think there will be a lot of drunk american fans who say they are 'passionate' but are really just annoying. #Murica
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: May 17, 2018 05:50:55 pm
      Not a bad idea to save the money. I was able to schedule some work on the east coast the time Liverpool is here so I got kind of lucky.

Yeah I saw a MI vs Ohio State game when I was in college and it was crazy. Ultimately i think there will be a lot of drunk american fans who say they are 'passionate' but are really just annoying. #Murica

Most of whom will be "rooting for" Man U (cuz they really like that Beckham).
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #30: May 19, 2018 06:07:42 pm
      Most of whom will be "rooting for" Man U (cuz they really like that Beckham).

Most of whom will be"rooting"for Liverpool(cuz they really like European cup winners).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: May 20, 2018 12:59:47 am

Most of whom will be"rooting"for Liverpool(cuz they really like European cup winners).

I doubt many of them will even know what that is.
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #32: May 20, 2018 06:25:05 am

This x1000

Just trying to explain the difference between a cup and the league (season) to my friends/co workers is hard enough. Tack on European cups and their heads about explode.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2018 06:49:22 pm

Was just making a bit of a gag mate.But ya don't think we've picked up any fans post Istanbul and won't if we beat Madrid? Bit of a disservice to soccer fans in america saying the stadium will be filled with manc fans cos of Beckham no?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #34: May 20, 2018 07:16:26 pm

Was just making a bit of a gag mate.But ya don't think we've picked up any fans post Istanbul and won't if we beat Madrid? Bit of a disservice to soccer fans in america saying the stadium will be filled with manc fans cos of Beckham no?

My friend (lives in LA) has a 10 year old son who likes socccer and his favourite player is Beckham because his friends all love Beckham. F***ing ridiculous ;D.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35: May 20, 2018 11:24:08 pm

I meant it in a lighthearted way as well. Certainly we have fans in America, but a high percentage of them are about marketing or who has won recently, so that puts us behind five other clubs in terms of volume (not counting expats). Look at all the newfound Man City fans here for proof. I mean, Man City???

I suspect we have gained more fans this season than we did in 2005, just speaking to the fickle nature of the casual (I don't mean hoolies) "soccer fan" in the U.S. We have been on the receiving end of some positive coverage, often tied to Klopp. If we had a couple of poor seasons to follow, those "fans" would be gone in a flash.

There is a segment here who are much more dedicated to the sport and their support may be spread out more evenly, but I expect in a crowd of that size, this educated, passionate group will be something of a minority. Man United are still the default team to support for Joe American Soccer Fan. Maybe the crowd that day shows me to be wrong, but this is been my exerience as a fan over here for the past 40 years.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: May 20, 2018 11:50:31 pm
      Man United are still the default team to support for Joe American Soccer Fan.

Easily fixed, we just sign Pulisic :D
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #37: Jun 02, 2018 04:06:06 pm
      I meant it in a lighthearted way as well. Certainly we have fans in America, but a high percentage of them are about marketing or who has won recently, so that puts us behind five other clubs in terms of volume (not counting expats). Look at all the newfound Man City fans here for proof. I mean, Man City???

I suspect we have gained more fans this season than we did in 2005, just speaking to the fickle nature of the casual (I don't mean hoolies) "soccer fan" in the U.S. We have been on the receiving end of some positive coverage, often tied to Klopp. If we had a couple of poor seasons to follow, those "fans" would be gone in a flash.

There is a segment here who are much more dedicated to the sport and their support may be spread out more evenly, but I expect in a crowd of that size, this educated, passionate group will be something of a minority. Man United are still the default team to support for Joe American Soccer Fan. Maybe the crowd that day shows me to be wrong, but this is been my exerience as a fan over here for the past 40 years.

Just revisiting this,still think ya off base with the numbers.Maybe it's just Boston but we are by far the most supported team here,maybe if United get a to a final they'll pack  a dozen odd bars like we did but i dunno.City barely get 20-30 for their prem celebration.Yep we have fickle glory hunter types but that'll apply to all big teams,don't see many rentboys round here anymore!Would be good if come next season we can fill bars for a wet game against Wolves.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jun 02, 2018 04:20:22 pm

Just revisiting this,still think ya off base with the numbers.Maybe it's just Boston but we are by far the most supported team here,maybe if United get a to a final they'll pack  a dozen odd bars like we did but i dunno.City barely get 20-30 for their prem celebration.Yep we have fickle glory hunter types but that'll apply to all big teams,don't see many rentboys round here anymore!Would be good if come next season we can fill bars for a wet game against Wolves.

Well I haven't lived in DC or LA for a while and those were much bigger volume places. This is the 90s and early 2000s and the crowds I came across were primarily expats still, back then.

Do you know what the breakdown is like in those dozen bars between Americans and expats (realizing some expats have become Yankee Doodle Dandies  :) )? Do Brits tend to stay in "their own" bars or is it a pretty good mix.

What you describe is pretty promising. You might remember the outdoor crowds for USA matches during the 2014 World Cup, but I always assumed the majority of those were just attracted by the crowd scene. It may be that I'm getting to be too much of a curmudgeon in my old age and am guilty of an "I was here first" attitude which I confess is wrong thinking.

One other question - among American fans in Boston - do you think the Henry/RedSox connection drives any of it?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #39: Jun 02, 2018 04:45:30 pm
      Well I haven't lived in DC or LA for a while and those were much bigger volume places. This is the 90s and early 2000s and the crowds I came across were primarily expats still, back then.

Do you know what the breakdown is like in those dozen bars between Americans and expats (realizing some expats have become Yankee Doodle Dandies  :) )? Do Brits tend to stay in "their own" bars or is it a pretty good mix.

What you describe is pretty promising. You might remember the outdoor crowds for USA matches during the 2014 World Cup, but I always assumed the majority of those were just attracted by the crowd scene. It may be that I'm getting to be too much of a curmudgeon in my old age and am guilty of an "I was here first" attitude which I confess is wrong thinking.

One other question - among American fans in Boston - do you think the Henry/RedSox connection drives any of it?

I'd guess the majority now are american born in that 20-30's age group,a few old ex pats,don't get let out as much these days!was a pretty big Asian showing at my local.And yep a few there just coz of the final,one girl knitted pretty much the whole game.  Sadly nothing was organized for the u-21's/kids to watch.I don't think i've met anyone who started following because of the Henry Red Sox but i'm sure they're out there.I  was looking around social media before game and the official lot only have 200 odd members,they didn't think they'd have enough members to fill two bars,so there's still a huge untapped merch buying group out there that doesn't translate into regular bar match watching.
      Ryreb
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 118 posts | 24 
      Reply #40: Jun 05, 2018 09:42:19 pm
      I became a Liverpool fan 8/27/17 and at the time I didn't even know what the Champions League was.  Truth be told, I didn't (and still don't but I'm doing my best to learn) know much about football.
         Like many Americans passed a certain age, I was reluctant to give football a chance.  It so happened that I lost a wager with a friend on an American football game.  My losing meant I had to pick a team and go watch an entire match with him at a local pub. All I knew is I  was not going to chose one of the manchester squads.   Deciding on either of those squads would have seemed like a bandwagon decision.  Liverpool was the obvious choice for me since I'm a big George Harrison fan.  My friend explained that Liverpool had a deep and rich history but it had been a while since they had had won the league. Since I prefer being an underdog this set up nicely.  Sunday, August 27th arrived and as you all know, we destroyed Arsenal. I didn't have a clue why or what was happening but I knew Iloved it.  I knew I had made the perfect decision.  I was hooked. 

Now I must decide which of the summer friendlies I want to attend.  A week holiday to attend the Charlotte and New Jersey matches  sounds nice doesn't it?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #41: Jun 05, 2018 09:51:52 pm
      I became a Liverpool fan 8/27/17 and at the time I didn't even know what the Champions League was.  Truth be told, I didn't (and still don't but I'm doing my best to learn) know much about football.
         Like many Americans passed a certain age, I was reluctant to give football a chance.  It so happened that I lost a wager with a friend on an American football game.  My losing meant I had to pick a team and go watch an entire match with him at a local pub. All I knew is I  was not going to chose one of the manchester squads.   Deciding on either of those squads would have seemed like a bandwagon decision.  Liverpool was the obvious choice for me since I'm a big George Harrison fan.  My friend explained that Liverpool had a deep and rich history but it had been a while since they had had won the league. Since I prefer being an underdog this set up nicely.  Sunday, August 27th arrived and as you all know, we destroyed Arsenal. I didn't have a clue why or what was happening but I knew Iloved it.  I knew I had made the perfect decision.  I was hooked. 

Now I must decide which of the summer friendlies I want to attend.  A week holiday to attend the Charlotte and New Jersey matches  sounds nice doesn't it?

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your story with us :)

Attend all of them to watch the masterclass of our new signings in, Keita and Fabinho :)
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Summer friendlies in USA and The North West.
      Reply #42: Jun 09, 2018 04:13:27 pm
      Dunno if it's worth a thread but the Pre -pre season tour games are up,https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/304069-liverpool-fc-pre-season-friendlies.Probs get to all 4 for the price of one of the USA games!
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 16, 2018 05:11:09 pm
      I'm not going to the game at Michigan stadium.  I don't live that far away.  But preseason for that price just isn't worth it.   I looked the day the tickets were available.  I saw 180 usd per ticket for best available seats. 

Also those that are going.  It will cost about $50   to park your car. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #44: Jun 24, 2018 09:51:51 am
      When do our players who are not in the World-Cup return to pre-season?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45: Jun 24, 2018 10:14:00 am
      When do our players who are not in the World-Cup return to pre-season?
      I believe the 2nd of July

Quick Reply