Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Roma Champions League Semi-Final

Read 13756 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool v Roma Champions League Semi-Final Tues 24th April 19:45KO
      Reply #23: Apr 23, 2018 12:03:05 pm
      With it being another massive game, going to get out on another early one for this, a little bit of lubrication and then let rip in the ground.

Can't F***ing wait!!

Up The Reds.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24: Apr 23, 2018 12:13:47 pm
      I didn't think Gini was great either. I guess this is the only question about the lineup, assuming Henderson will play in that deeper midfield role.

Yeah, pretty much all our midfielders were sh*t 2nd half, but I didn't think Wijnaldum was as bad as Hendo or Milner, they were just sh*t as a collective.

Not sure who I would have as our #6 tbh. I do like Wijnaldum there and how he is more likely to pass between the lines unlike Hendo who rarely does it. But also, his composure and ability to turn and break through the lines is sexy!! However, Hendo does like to find our full backs/wide players a lot more than usual, might be better option with them being defensive.

It's a toss up between Hendo and Wijnaldum for me. Milner and Ox for the other midfield spots.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #25: Apr 23, 2018 12:58:16 pm
      Yeah, pretty much all our midfielders were sh*t 2nd half, but I didn't think Wijnaldum was as bad as Hendo or Milner, they were just sh*t as a collective.

Not sure who I would have as our #6 tbh. I do like Wijnaldum there and how he is more likely to pass between the lines unlike Hendo who rarely does it. But also, his composure and ability to turn and break through the lines is sexy!! However, Hendo does like to find our full backs/wide players a lot more than usual, might be better option with them being defensive.

It's a toss up between Hendo and Wijnaldum for me. Milner and Ox for the other midfield spots.

I trust Hendo more than Gini. I'd go with the English three in the middle that beat City at home 3-0.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #26: Apr 23, 2018 01:21:51 pm
      Hendon, Milner and the Ox in midfield. Let's hope that this time the Police are on  blob, and  there is no trouble outside the ground.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #27: Apr 23, 2018 01:26:59 pm
      I would go for Milner.  Also think on Saturday the players heads were elsewhere.

Woke up on Sunday morning with Allez Allez Allez going through my head, can't wait for tomorrow.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Apr 23, 2018 01:40:14 pm
      What we cannot do is panic if the game is gone 60 or 70mins and still 0-0. Roma will sit in and make things difficult. No way are we beating these guys like we did City.

In fact, 0-0 would be ok because I see us scoring away from home and we could then go through with a score draw.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #29: Apr 23, 2018 01:44:26 pm
      Anyone else Worried about Salah playing against old team who he has obvious affections for. I mean look at Moreno when he played against his old side :f_wah:

Moreno plays like that every week. He is sh*te!

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #30: Apr 23, 2018 01:56:14 pm
      Can't F***ing wait for this...bold prediction but I reckon a 4-0 win for us....hope I'm F***ing right like ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Apr 23, 2018 02:05:56 pm
      What we cannot do is panic if the game is gone 60 or 70mins and still 0-0. Roma will sit in and make things difficult. No way are we beating these guys like we did City.

In fact, 0-0 would be ok because I see us scoring away from home and we could then go through with a score draw.

Absolutely - Roma will keep it tight. I would be surprised if they opened it up like City did but then again they might be confident of their abilities going forward.

Very different attack the defence we'll be facing. How will Lovren deal up against a big physical striker like Dzeko? Lots of questions will be posed by Roma. It's going to be tough, especially that second leg in a rapturous Rome. Then again at this stage I wouldn't expect anything less.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #32: Apr 23, 2018 02:36:26 pm
      Honestly, I think you can do any scheme you want, but the only thing that matters is to have the attitude of Barcelona, ​​if we play with that desire we must not be afraid. Otherwise if you play from Rome (usual), you have to hope for some miracle (but since I'm atheist it will end badly)
      Fundamental it will be that diFra be asserted in the tactical battle with Klopp. Let's forget that, like Valverde, it does not modulate its game on our characteristics.
      Then the players will have to do theirs, I take for granted maximum commitment and very high concentration, but they will also need strong nerves. Avoiding expulsions or various hysterical reactions: taking a goal is not a drama, making one is not mandatory.
      Keep the bar straight, follow the game plan and trust your teammates and coach.

Klopp has a final with Bayern to revenge, we have a whole story to rewrite.
      I have no words, less than 48 hours and Rome will face the first Champions League semi-final after 34 years. A dream, let's prolong it at least until next Wednesday.

In any case, a maniacal tactical application and a high level mental retention will be needed. As you well know, I do not have any illusions and I know that we have very few chances to pass, but at the same time I also know that if we want to have these chances, we have to come out alive from Anfield and live without losing or anyway with a measure defeat, possibly scoring.
      I am very worried about the movement to meet Firmino, who could suck up Fazio and open spaces for the insertions at two hundred for Oxlade-Chamerberlain; Fazio himself will have to be good and De Rossi to alternate in the marking on him. As for Salah, we hope that Jesus is in the evening yes, because he will have to expand twelve thousand times to take it, not having Kolarov the step to keep up with him, I also trust that Strootman can give him a hand.
      Same on the other side with Mané.
      I would be tempted to move Nainggolan back to the midfielders, in order to better keep the Senegalese, but it is also true that, going there just to not take them, we would take six or seven, so I would confirm 3-4-2-1. You will have to press ferociously, because they are not impeccable in the dribble, and then verticalize immediately; they are very strong and we know it well, but behind it they leave spaces and we could have some possibilities. It will also serve an extra dose of cynicism, because we will not have two hundred chances to shoot at goal.

Went onto their forum and used Translate.  :lmao: Above are a few quotes from their match thread!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33: Apr 23, 2018 03:17:47 pm
      2005 seems like 5 mins ago not 13 years but the excitement is just the same and I want another chance to go and see a homecoming like 2005 just once more it was just incredible.
      However I think Roma may be more difficult than we think and personally I would take 0-0 going into the second leg but we could produce a 20 min spell that no team can live with and score 2 or 3.
      All in all a time to reflect and enjoy once more being at the top table of European football.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Apr 23, 2018 03:32:17 pm

Spot on that 0-0 is not some catastrophe for us.

I rather liked the 3-0 at home vs. City, mind, but we can make 0-0 work as well. Doubt that will be the score, though.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #35: Apr 23, 2018 04:18:33 pm
      Not gonna be able to watch this one,glad the final is on a Saturday now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Apr 23, 2018 04:33:27 pm
      Spot on that 0-0 is not some catastrophe for us.

I rather liked the 3-0 at home vs. City, mind, but we can make 0-0 work as well. Doubt that will be the score, though.

Sorry but after the way they destroyed Barca at home, a team which just smashed Sevilla 5-0 in the Copa del Rey final, 0-0 will be a very dangerous result. We have to get a couple of goals cushion  before going to their place next Wednesday otherwise I genuinely fear for us.

I still reckon we'll win fairly easily tomorrow. most teams have been winning quite comfortably against them at home, its at their place it gets a bit more tricky.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #37: Apr 23, 2018 04:39:16 pm
      Last two knockout rounds we've effectively put the tie to bed in the first leg.  I'd be surprised if we can pull that off three times on the bounce.

Not feeling the nerves just yet.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #38: Apr 23, 2018 04:41:26 pm
      Anyone know the reason why Roma don't have any shirt sponsor?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39: Apr 23, 2018 04:54:19 pm

Used to have WIND on the front of their shirts, apparently a deal fell through due to some problems linked to the stadium, as they are looking to have a new ground. Actually today they have announced a shirt sponsorship  deal with qatar airways until 2021
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #40: Apr 23, 2018 05:13:47 pm
      I will be onsite again all day Tuesday so have to decide whether to sneak looks at the score real-time or try and not see the score and watch the recording later on. Can’t we schedule these games for the weekend ;D

I was planning on doing the same,  but don't think I'll be able to avoid checking the score on my phone or stop seeing messages. I'm in Knoxville this week so kick off is at 2:45 here, hopefully I'll be able to finish around 3 and see most of the game.

3-0 for the Reds!!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #41: Apr 23, 2018 06:08:18 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Full team! No excuses.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #42: Apr 23, 2018 07:43:27 pm
      +10
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #43: Apr 23, 2018 07:44:33 pm
      Had a good feeling about the City game, even when we were under the cosh in the first half at the Etihad. But this Roma team are a bit different. They will take great belief and confidence from knocking out Barca, Messi and all. They will be very difficult to beat.

They had a good 3-0 win at the weekend as well. We will obviously have to defend better than we did v WBA. Might only be a goal or possibly two to the good but we have to get out with a clean sheet.

Hard one to call...1-0..2-0.... maybe 2-1....just got to dig deep...very deep for this one..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #44: Apr 23, 2018 07:48:22 pm

Pallotta: 'Roma mistake on sponsors'

By Football Italia staff

Roma President Jim Pallotta admits they “frankly screwed up” by focusing on the Stadio della Roma before finding a shirt sponsor.

He spoke at the launch of a new Integrated Impact Report into the club’s impact on the city.

“I got an advance copy of the report and it’s fantastic,” said Pallotta. “This is the first time this has ever been done by a sports club anywhere in the world. We are proud to be involved.

“We are at the beginning. We have a long way to go. We have a lot of ideas. We can’t accomplish what we want for Rome without the help from a lot of people in here.

“Most of you know me as the stupid American that came to Italy to buy AS Roma. You have to understand I came from a neighborhood in Boston that was 100% Italian. I always considered myself Italian, first and foremost - so do my kids and so do my parents.

“In a lot of ways it is coming back full-circle. I feel a responsibility to Rome, and Roma, and Italy, to give something back, to be part of trying to build something and not just AS Roma, but the community.”

Pallotta opened up to questions from the students in the venue, but with the rules: No Press, no questions about Spalletti and no questions about Totti.

He was asked about the lack of a shirt sponsor at Roma, which has presumably cost the club an important revenue stream.

“Simply put, the strategy that was put in place at the beginning with the agency we hired was wrong, trying to connect the shirt sponsor to the stadium.

“The second mistake was we really thought we’d have approval on the stadium well over a year ago, but the change of Mayor and a few other things delayed that.

“What we had done with the stadium was focused and concentrated on the commercial side on the whole digital fabric of the stadium. We’ve literally spoken to over 150 companies all over the world for the stadium – not for the naming, but for the equipment we’re using on the stadium.

“We focused too much on that, thinking we’d have approval over a year ago. Over the last couple of months we’ve spent more time focusing on the shirt and we’ve had 11 or 12 really detailed proposals.

“This morning I had a call with a potential sponsor we had several meetings with over in Asia. I feel good about the shirt for the upcoming season, but frankly at the end of the day, we just screwed up.”

Pallotta also revealed some unexpected plans for huge events in Rome to raise funds for their charity arm, Roma Cares.

“We had this idea and had some discussions, as there’s a real opportunity to do something maybe a year away to have a friendly at the Circus Maximus with a team like Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich, someone like that.

“Then we want to do an event in the Colosseum, whether it’s Springsteen unplugged, Jay Z or somebody like that, we believe and had discussions with the right people in the United States that we could have a three-hour contract and stream it live with a pay-per-view around the world.

“If you had 50 million people around the world paying $10, although I think it’ll be more for a once in a lifetime event, we would raise $50m for Roma Cares and that would go to the city and helping to rebuild some of the antiquities that are falling down.”
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #45: Apr 23, 2018 09:14:15 pm

Quick Reply