Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Roma?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      4 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (8.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      106 (72.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      17 (11.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2018 09:36:49 pm

Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34747 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Apr 25, 2018 08:55:25 am
      It was great night and 5:2 is fantastic result. I dont have any bad feeling, the only negative is injury to ox. We have only Hendo/Milner/Gini fit not...This is scare for me with Hendo on yellow.

I must mention Hendo yesterday - what a performance. take a bow.

If he receives one next week, will he be suspended for the final if we get through? Not sure about the rules..
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #714: Apr 25, 2018 09:00:22 am
      The football we played between 55-70 minutes was out of this world. I love the look on opposition players' faces when we go from one end of the pitch to another in about a dozen touches and even less seconds.

Disappointing to concede twice at the end, the momentum shifted after Lovrens mistake for the Dzeko goal. Nonetheless I'm confident of not only scoring in Rome but winning outright.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #715: Apr 25, 2018 09:06:58 am

If we score once they need 4, if we score 2 they need 6 to win........
      We'll score more than once.

It's a pretty tricky task for them to score three times without conceding.

It's highly unlikely for them to do a Barcelona for second consecutive...it would be unprecedented.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018 09:15:02 am by nikos »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #716: Apr 25, 2018 09:09:59 am
      We'll score more than once.

It's a pretty tricky task to score three times without conceding.

It's highly unlikely for them to do a Barcelona for second consecutive...it would be unprecedented.

So you think they’ll score 4?

We’ll win the tie and I’d be very surprised if we don’t win the match.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #717: Apr 25, 2018 09:13:00 am
      We’ll win the tie and I’d be very surprised if we don’t win the match.
      That's what i think too.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #718: Apr 25, 2018 09:14:00 am
      There is only one match in this year's ChL that we didn't score and that was the replay leg with Porto in Anfield (after we beat them 0-5 in the first leg).
      So, technically speaking there is no chance that our offense won't score at least one goal at Roma. So, even though a clear 5-0 result would have see us straight through to the final, now the 2 conceded goals give us 85% chance of been in Kiev next month. So, I woudn't worry much.

Awesome game, awesome atmosphere
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,172 posts | 524 
      Reply #719: Apr 25, 2018 09:19:19 am
      Will be a tough match away, but we have too much for them.
      Think I'm right in saying that Roma haven't conceded a home goal in this Champions league campaign, stand to be corrected on that one.

Hope the lad who was attacked pulls through, they really are scumbags.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #720: Apr 25, 2018 09:29:36 am
      we won and somehow i have many mixed emotions

1. The poor fan who was attacked saddens me
      2. Ox's injury (and thread bare options) worry me
      3. Our poxy defence and willingness to give soft goals away and look shaken under pressure

But we won, looked pretty good for periods of the game (from around 25 mins to 70 mins), take a nice lead into the 2nd leg and should score over their regardless of their defensive record.

I hope we take something away from the City leg and go into this game with a better game plan for the start of the match.

YNWA
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #721: Apr 25, 2018 09:34:31 am
      Great performance from 25-75 mins from the front 3.  Could have scored 10 without batting an eyelid.  Late defensive frailties and lack of tactical know-how in the last 10 mins have given them a glimmer. 

They've beaten Chelsea and Barca 3-0 (and are yet to concede, I think!) at home this season, so this tie is not quite done and dusted yet.  We will score against that defence and I reckon we'll draw 2 all to get through comfortably in the end.

C'MON THE MIGHTY REDS!!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #722: Apr 25, 2018 09:47:19 am

Calm Down ... CalmDown ... Calm Down la ...

Bit of info on https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/43890578

Gracenote Live
          ✔
          @GracenoteLive

Chances of progressing after result of first leg, based on historic results in all European competitions:

5-0 home win - 100% (132 occasions, never eliminated)
          5-2 home win - 82.6% (23 occasions, 4 times eliminated) #LIVROM #LFC #UCL
          21:38 - 24 Apr 2018

148 people are talking about this

82% without the MO factor though.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018 10:01:58 am by MIRO »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #723: Apr 25, 2018 09:52:14 am
      Once the analysis and over-analysis has died down, we should sit back and bask in the glory of a brilliant CL performance. To beat any team 5-2 in the semis at this stage is impressive and rare. Yes we got defensively complacent and let in 2 in the end needlessly, to be perfectly honest, it's a good kick up the back side that in this competition you can never take anything for granted and the opposition always has enough quality to hurt you. It'll keep the boys on their toes for next week to get the job done.

We have a knack of making scoring goals look easy, but take nothing away from the team, 5-2 is a pretty stunning result.

Cmon you reds!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #724: Apr 25, 2018 09:53:25 am
      If he receives one next week, will he be suspended for the final if we get through? Not sure about the rules..

Only way he doesn’t play in the final is if he receives a red, yellows don’t add up for the final.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #725: Apr 25, 2018 09:57:02 am
      Will be a tough match away, but we have too much for them.
      Think I'm right in saying that Roma haven't conceded a home goal in this Champions league campaign, stand to be corrected on that one.

Hope the lad who was attacked pulls through, they really are scumbags.

You are right they have not but remember

Hoffeheim they have lost at home this season
      Porto have not lost a game this season
      Man City have not lost a game this season

Those stats mean nothing.

We will maul them again!

We went with a 3 goal advantage to City and this Roma are not in the same league as City.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #726: Apr 25, 2018 10:02:49 am
      On a less positive note, anyone here at the game see what happened before with the Roma fans assaulting that man?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #727: Apr 25, 2018 10:57:56 am
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #728: Apr 25, 2018 11:02:27 am
      Bobby,Mo & Mane need new contracts ASAP...

We were all over Roma like a rash...what a performance..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #729: Apr 25, 2018 11:11:32 am
      Aplogies if already posted but some scenes in Cairo.

https://youtu.be/FAjJ_ljWG9Y
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #730: Apr 25, 2018 11:15:29 am

That kick is starting to freak me out, you just know that sooner or later he'll connect ;-)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #731: Apr 25, 2018 11:16:46 am

The Middle & Far East will erupt when we win it in Kiev.. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #732: Apr 25, 2018 11:26:48 am
      The more I think about it the more I realise that that result is actually staggeringly good. It is very very easy to lose some focus when you are dominating an opponent like we did last night but you have to learn from situations like that and I'm sure the lads will. Its also very possible we would have conceded even if Mo was still on the pitch although I suspect we probably would have scored at least one more ourselves as well, the ball to Gini springs to mind.
      In any case we have a 3 goal lead going to their place plus Klopp will have seen exactly how they set up to beat Barca and will counter it, if I was him I'd go with 3 CB's, 5 in midfield (the usuals plus 2 wingbacks Robertson and TAA), and the dynamic trio up front. Soak up the pressure and hit them on the break, like we did with Citeh. We know that their defence is crap and they aren't that scary up front. I would also have VVD man marking Dzeko just to eliminate their main threat.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #733: Apr 25, 2018 11:46:59 am
      Listen, we can’t attack for 90 minutes. Our attack has a shelf life, which is why we need to be deliberate and convert chances. The two goals didn’t come because they unlocked anything. They got somewhat lucky. I doubt they get 3 goals lucky in the next game AND hold us to naught.
      It is not about attacking for 90 mins, no team can do that... It is about having the potential or the threat on the field to do that. With each substitution you make which diminishes that threat you hand the initiative your opponents. Until it puts you under sustained pressure, as we saw in the West Brom game recently...

It is like defending a corner you can have all you players back there crowding the goal area making it harder for players to make runs and get a clear shot off, or your put two of three of your own attacker near the half way line and your opponents have to drop 3 or 4 players back to defend against a counter attacking threat, making it less crowded and have less risk of the defenders losing their man and seeing easier what is going on in the goal area...
      DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #734: Apr 25, 2018 11:56:00 am
      Liverpool result is nothing like Barcelona result.

Barcelona were winning 3-1 before they got the 4th goal. The first two goals were even freak own goals from Roma. Barcelona also got away with some fortunate penalty calls. No less serious than the one our ref gave a penalty for.

We went out there and scored 5 goals. Completely dominated. Never looked like letting up - until the substitution.

Then Roma got their goal. Then the fortunate penalty call.

Clearly the divide between the teams was so much greater than Barcelona vs Roma, and we will not go and do what Barcelona did in Rome. Not a chance.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #735: Apr 25, 2018 11:58:38 am
      It is not about attacking for 90 mins, no team can do that... It is about having the potential or the threat on the field to do that. With each substitution you make which diminishes that threat you hand the initiative your opponents. Until it puts you under sustained pressure, as we saw in the West Brom game recently...

It is like defending a corner you can have all you players back there crowding the goal area making it harder for players to make runs and get a clear shot off, or your put two of three of your own attacker near the half way line and your opponents have to drop 3 or 4 players back to defend against a counter attacking threat, making it less crowded and have less risk of the defenders losing their man and seeing easier what is going on in the goal area...

I get your point here and I'm a big advocate of the best form of defence is attack, which ironically is also what Roma eventually did last night. What happened to us though is a simple case of loss of focus which is so very easy to happen in all sports. If you are hammering an opponent, like we were, it is extremely difficult to keep that focus going to the end. I have seen the same thing happen countless times in Tennis when an a player is hammering an opponent in one set, cruising in the next set but then a couple of sloppy shots and the opponent can get right back into it and even turn the whole match around. As long as you learn from it, its not really a big issue and yesterday would have been a big kick up the arse to the players, I expect them all to be fully focussed for the return match and not give them an inch.

Quick Reply