Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Roma?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      4 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (8.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      106 (72.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      17 (11.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2018 09:36:49 pm

Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34604 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Apr 25, 2018 03:34:19 pm

That's how it was described on my match feed, and seems to be what the link HSc posted is saying.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #760: Apr 25, 2018 03:36:09 pm
      Hangover just about gone now but the sore throat is still in place.
      What a night, a real history making night and the noise was just superb. I cant imagine anyone not taking a 5-2 lead into the second leg I would have been happy at 0-0. We will not sit back in Rome we will try to win the game and it is perfectly set up for us.
      Just beat Stoke on Saturday and more or less secure CL football for next season and then look forward to Wednesday its a great time to be a Liverpool supporter.

You did a great job on here last night of countering the letdown from the final 10 minutes. As you referenced a hangover, maybe it was the Rum talking, but in this case, the Rum was correct.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #761: Apr 25, 2018 03:40:08 pm
      That's how it was described on my match feed, and seems to be what the link HSc posted is saying.

Yes :) Thanks. You're right!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #762: Apr 25, 2018 03:57:04 pm
      We will make it to the finals. No way we're not scoring when we play Roma away..

One thing though..

Every time we take Salah off, the opposition get a lifeline and come back swinging. It happened with, bottom of the table, West Brom. It's happened again with Roma.

We should learn from this.

The substitution for Salah was the right thing to do,imo; that was and is not the real problem...
      Where the real problem lies is in the option we have on the bench, Solanke and Ings are simply not good enough, they are not second string player, they are more like third and forth string players. Unfortunately we are were we are...

This may also sound a bit mad, but maybe he should (with all his pace) stuck Moreno up front for the last 15 mins, with the instruction to Karius and he back four that ever time they have the ball to play it long and let Moreno run it down and see what he can get  :f_tongueincheek:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #763: Apr 25, 2018 04:01:49 pm
      The substitution for Salah was the right thing to do,imo; that was and is not the real problem...
      Where the real problem lies is in the option we have on the bench, Solanke and Ings are simply not good enough, they are not second string player, they are more like third and forth string players. Unfortunately we are were we are...

This may also sound a bit mad, but maybe he should (with all his pace) stuck Moreno up front for the last 15 mins, with the instruction to Karius and he back four that ever time they have the ball to play it long and let Moreno run it down and see what he can get  :f_tongueincheek:
      Not that mad, I like Moreno when he is attacking and he has pace with which Roma can't cope!
      CT_LFC

• 6,801 posts | 1399 
      Reply #764: Apr 25, 2018 04:04:22 pm
      Not that mad, I like Moreno when he is attacking and he has pace with which Roma can't cope!

I believe Moreno has been used as wing in the recent past, so that's a good shout.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #765: Apr 25, 2018 04:12:28 pm

I am???

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while (pardon the non-PC, self-deprecating 1950s American agricultural expression).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #766: Apr 25, 2018 04:15:51 pm

I guess it goes back to Jürgen loaning both Origi and Sturridge. Neither were first choice, but both have scored goals for the first team. I think both also wanted to be elsewhere if they were not going to be first choice, World Cup dreams and all that.

What you mention for Moreno might work this Saturday if we are in for heavy rotation.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #767: Apr 25, 2018 04:20:31 pm
      Still buzzing!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #768: Apr 25, 2018 04:24:13 pm
      3-1 to us in Rome.

If we can’t close this out against them up 5-2 then we shouldn’t be in the final anyway.

Absolutely true and very much my take on this as well.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #769: Apr 25, 2018 04:34:55 pm
      Absolutely true and very much my take on this as well.

We will win.

That is all.

Wednesday will mark the end.........of the beginning

Because after that........sh*t’s gonna get funky 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆..........
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #770: Apr 25, 2018 04:37:38 pm
      WOW! What a f**king game!

I've always been an advocate of playing the first leg of any knockout tie away, i think most people would agree with that assertion as you've always got the opportunity to rectify any issues in the return leg with the bonus of home advantage. Klopp has changed my outlook on this view, i feel that when you are home in the first leg the pressure is greater to get a good result as it is harder to get away results, especially in the European Cup. I was gutted when we had both first leg ties at home in the quarter and semi finals but Klopp has shown with his 'destroy everything' attitude that maybe it isn't such a great determiner after all. Instead of the onus being on us his style of football is throwing the onus onto the opposition. I love what Klopp is doing here and he is changing my outlook on the way i view various aspects of this beautiful game.

We now have taken a 3 goal advantage to both away legs and considering the opposition that is some feat. We are ripping them apart in the first legs and then saying 'come at us' in the return legs. We are dominating from the outset and stamping our mark.

Watched the game last night and while Roma's high press seemed to be working for the first twenty odd minutes or so they never looked like scoring, bar the shot that Karius let through his hands that luckily rebounded off the crossbar. Mane had a couple of good chances and then we suddenly started to open them up at will. Queue Mo Salah and that was that. An absolutely stunning finish for the first and then Firmino weaving his infinite magic to set Salah up for his now trademark 'dink' over Allison for the second. Roma looked really uncomfortable playing that system and i don't know if any of you noticed but they were all starting to argue with each other as indiscipline started to set in as we ripped them to shreds.

Before we knew it we were 5-0 up and as far as i was concerned the game was dead and buried, but then it happened. It had nothing to do with the Salah substitution for me, it was down to poor defending again from Lovren. Up until that error we had shut them down totally, once that error occurred we gave them hope where before there was none. I've had quite a laugh recently with all the blind defending of Lovren, who is clearly an inept central defender and i have also rightly taken some stick for singling him out for some terrible defending. I was going to construct a topic just on Lovren recently but i can't change the opinions (and rightly so) of some of our base, they think he is quality, as much as i disagree. The reason i never constructed that topic was after the second leg of the semi final against City when many of our base gave him the man of the match when he never made a single tackle, not one tackle (please check the Opta stats for clarification). Therein lies the case for the blind defence of an incapable central defender, i can't debate that.

I don't look for Lovren to make mistakes but i do analyse his game more than any other defenders when i'm watching, it used to be Moreno but we solved that problem with the arrival of Robertson, Arnold is turning into a beast and van Dijk is masking so many issues with his class that the limelight has been taken of Lovren's inability to defend properly. Last night was another mistake highlighted by his lack of depth perception, his inability to gauge the speed, flight and trajectory of the ball made him look like a fool again. That single moment of stupidity gave Roma a sniff that they didn't think they'd get.

The second goal was just pure bad luck. That was not a penalty, Milner legitimately tried to block the shot and it hit his arm, the shot was hit so hard there was no way he could have got his arm out of the way, a bad decision but one we have to take. We held out at the end and we take a 3 goal lead (technically a 2 goal lead when applying the away goal rule and the possible variables involved) to Rome for the return leg. All in all a brilliant night and definitely a cause for celebrating rather than lamenting.

What Klopp has achieved with this Squad is nothing short of miraculous, we have absolutely no depth at all which is what makes what we have achieved thus far so special. For those lamenting Klopp's decision to take off Salah it is not his fault that the only options he has are Ings and Solanke, that is the fault of FSG. I don't blame Klopp for picking Lovren, he is the best of a bad bunch, not his fault, the fault of the owners. Quite how the f**k any of these players haven't burned out is beyond me.

This was our bench for a Champions League semi final -  Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Solanke & Ings, that is absolutely shocking, not Klopp's fault, the fault of the owners.

There are three types of supporters at our Club -

Pessimists - Rather than celebrate and focus on the fact we scored five goals in a Champions League semi final they will hone all their focus on the fact we conceded 2 away goals.

Optimists - Rather than accept the fact that Roma have not conceded a goal at home in the Champions League and turned over Barcelona 3-0 in their quarter final on the away goal rule they will dismiss this possibility against all sound reasoning and are convinced we are through to the final despite the fact we have another 90 / 120 minutes to play in the tie.

Realists - They will accept that our style of football comes at a cost sometimes (sometimes down to bad luck and sometimes down to bad decision making or defending). They will accept that some of our players are just not good enough and that it is not down to the manager, it is down to the Squad he has been allowed to build under direction of the owners. They will also never assume that this tie is done, assumption as we all know is the mother of all f**k ups.

I am in complete understanding of all the above viewpoints and everyone is entitled to that. All in all for me i just think that where we are with what we have is an incredible achievement. I have total belief that we will win the Champions League this Season. Give Klopp what he wants and he will deliver the Title, i have absolutely no doubt of that whatsoever, now that is realism.

All in all i am delighted with the result last night, barring the defensive error and the bad luck for the penalty (which never was) then the performance was nearly perfect. I believe that the result will now force Roma out of their block in Rome and we will be ready to kill, i think they will play into our hands and we will be ready for them. In the same breath i am not arrogant enough to convince myself this tie is over, it is far from over. Once we get the away goal, that is when that optimism and pessimism becomes reality. 

Like Gerrard said last night, get a goalkeeper, top quality centre back and a top class back up for the front three and we are there.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018 05:14:51 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #771: Apr 25, 2018 05:10:41 pm
      You did a great job on here last night of countering the letdown from the final 10 minutes. As you referenced a hangover, maybe it was the Rum talking, but in this case, the Rum was correct.

Rum feckin Rum not in a million years. I only drink when watching CL games and in appreciation and recognition of Shankly only one spirit passes my lips.
      Did anyone really expect us to win 5-0, we simply don't do trouble free Semi finals.I fully expect the lads to put us through the mill once again next Wednesday.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #772: Apr 25, 2018 05:28:38 pm
      Rum feckin Rum not in a million years. I only drink when watching CL games and in appreciation and recognition of Shankly only one spirit passes my lips.

Not a Royal Navy man, I take it.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #773: Apr 25, 2018 05:36:57 pm
      Lots of people saying it's a 3 goal adv to us, it's not, it's 2 goals!
      So if Roma win 2-0, 3-1, 4-2, etc, it's a draw then?!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #774: Apr 25, 2018 05:38:24 pm
      So if Roma win 2-0, 3-1, 4-2, etc, it's a draw then?!

Read my next post 2-4 posts down ;)
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #775: Apr 25, 2018 05:41:51 pm
      22 October 2017.

Tottenham 4 - 1 Liverpool.

That would send us out. But it's been that long since we were 'well beaten'.
      Plus people seem to have forgotten we're undefeated in CL this season...
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #776: Apr 25, 2018 05:49:34 pm
      For the shaky legs that keep harping on the fact that Roma have not conceded yet in CL games at home, do remember that we have always scored in the away games!! The only game we didnt score was at Anfield vs Porto
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #777: Apr 25, 2018 06:35:13 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #778: Apr 25, 2018 07:06:12 pm

The video with Gabriel Marcotti had some interesting points especially the disagreement between Di Rossi and Di Francesco on what undid them in that crazy 40 minute period. If we can do that again in Rome, get it forward quickly and use the pace of our front men then I'm confident we can open that rift up between players and manager again. I can only guess that Roma played as though we were going to pass it out from the back like Barcelona which truth be told we don't really do that. The best of Liverpool from back to front comes from the very direct balls played by Robbo, Trent and Virgil that scythe the midfield instantly. Robbo especially is so good at getting it out of his feet and into the front three.

How the hell can Roma play that same high line tactic without being exploited in Rome? Surely they will have something alternative planned?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #779: Apr 25, 2018 07:20:01 pm
      I know it doesn’t matter much but, after that game, we are the bookies favourites to win the whole damned thing. Who would have thought at the start of the season?
      CT_LFC

• 6,801 posts | 1399 
      Reply #780: Apr 25, 2018 07:28:34 pm
      I know it doesn’t matter much but, after that game, we are the bookies favourites to win the whole damned thing. Who would have thought at the start of the season?

Yea, what we have achieved in the CL is remarkable. And forget about start of the season, how about after the Coutinho sale? So many people expected us to tank afterwards.

I think i read somewhere this is the first time someone scored 5 goals in a semi-final? Just amazing stuff from Klopp.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #781: Apr 25, 2018 07:28:56 pm

That will probably change if Ronaldo scores a Hat-trick vs Bayern :p

Quick Reply