Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Roma?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.4%)
      James Milner
      4 (2.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (8.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      106 (72.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      17 (11.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      3 (2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Voting closed: Apr 28, 2018 09:36:49 pm

Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34142 times
      Mrgavin
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      • Hyyvshhxng
      Re: Liverpool 5-2 AS Roma: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #782: Apr 25, 2018 08:10:42 pm
      If we can Finnish the job in Rome next week, I would strongly fancy us to beat either real or bayern. after all we just destroyed man city over two legs & slapped Roma about last night. mo salah is unplayable at the minute..
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #783: Apr 25, 2018 08:16:14 pm
      Are folks discussing the Madrid v Munich game on any thread ? Kimmich just scored a beaut !
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #784: Apr 25, 2018 08:25:08 pm
      Are folks discussing the Madrid v Munich game on any thread ? Kimmich just scored a beaut !

Keeper was shocking
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #785: Apr 25, 2018 08:36:36 pm

Keeper is sh*te !! he's struggling. Marcello is one heck of a player, although I would like to see him take these attacking positions and when he has to deal with Salah.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #786: Apr 25, 2018 08:37:17 pm
      Quote from hardcoresoldier
      WOW! What a f**king game!

I've always been an advocate of playing the first leg of any knockout tie away, i think most people would agree with that assertion as you've always got the opportunity to rectify any issues in the return leg with the bonus of home advantage. Klopp has changed my outlook on this view, i feel that when you are home in the first leg the pressure is greater to get a good result as it is harder to get away results, especially in the European Cup. I was gutted when we had both first leg ties at home in the quarter and semi finals but Klopp has shown with his 'destroy everything' attitude that maybe it isn't such a great determiner after all. Instead of the onus being on us his style of football is throwing the onus onto the opposition. I love what Klopp is doing here and he is changing my outlook on the way i view various aspects of this beautiful game.

We now have taken a 3 goal advantage to both away legs and considering the opposition that is some feat. We are ripping them apart in the first legs and then saying 'come at us' in the return legs. We are dominating from the outset and stamping our mark.

This was our bench for a Champions League semi final -  Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Solanke & Ings, that is absolutely shocking, not Klopp's fault, the fault of the owners.

There are three types of supporters at our Club -

I am in complete understanding of all the above viewpoints and everyone is entitled to that. All in all for me i just think that where we are with what we have is an incredible achievement. I have total belief that we will win the Champions League this Season. Give Klopp what he wants and he will deliver the Title, i have absolutely no doubt of that whatsoever, now that is realism.

All in all i am delighted with the result last night, barring the defensive error and the bad luck for the penalty (which never was) then the performance was nearly perfect. I believe that the result will now force Roma out of their block in Rome and we will be ready to kill, i think they will play into our hands and we will be ready for them. In the same breath i am not arrogant enough to convince myself this tie is over, it is far from over. Once we get the away goal, that is when that optimism and pessimism becomes reality.

Detailed post with some good points, but also with material to debate.

We might need more than one away goal out there. We certainly will need more to feel that the job has been done. They will have to have a go at us, but if that results in a goal, what then? Will we stand up and be counted like at City, or wilt as at the toilet, Spurs, and Seville? Suddenly that 3 goal lead isn't all that secure. It could be gone by half time if the latter happens.

I said before, the penalty was the correct decision. I will agree that Milner was unlucky, but by the letter of the law, it's a pen unfortunately.

I don't agree that the depth of the squad is exclusively the owners responsibility. Klopp has had 2 years to sign his own players, and doesn't sign as much as he could. Partly by choice, partly by circumstance. We bought 5 players this year, breaking our transfer record 3 times, not the 10 players I said we needed. We send a lot of players out on loan, some to get experience, others because Klopp just doesn't want them. We still had the time to adequately upgrade in January after the sale, we didnt do it, even though we had a fair idea how demanding the schedule would be. It's too late now to complain how threadbare the squad is, we have what we have, so we have to make the best of it. He made the decision to take off Salah last night, not FSG, and it didnt work. Ings has taken a lot of stick, the man who has come back from 2 long term injuries, but it's hard to score goals if you don't get service. And he didn't get any. All attacking stopped once Salah was replaced. That's also not the owners fault.

I always want the second leg at home, for the reasons you outlined. That doesn't change because of results this year. I don't think we would have made the UEFA Cup final if we had to travel to Dortmund or Villarreal second and get a result. But we had the second legs at home and could celebrate winning the ties in front of our own fans. We can't do that next week, we won't have the crowd behind us, we are going to have to deal with pressure, and we are going to be tested. It's a huge pitch there as well as an intimidating atmosphere, and I don't know how the players will cope under the pressure. It's a new experience for most of them. Losing a 5-0 lead looks impossible but anything could still happen, so there's still a job to do.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018 08:44:47 pm by lfc across the water »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #787: Apr 25, 2018 08:57:18 pm
      just watching the other semi final and it is such a slow tempo from both teams I don't think either could cope with the pace of our lads
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #788: Apr 25, 2018 10:56:47 pm
      just watching the other semi final and it is such a slow tempo from both teams I don't think either could cope with the pace of our lads

Was thinking the same thing as I watched. Plenty of quality, especially in that Real side, but they would definitely have a big adjustment to make against us. (and it WILL be us they face).
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #789: Apr 25, 2018 11:14:50 pm
      Was thinking the same thing as I watched. Plenty of quality, especially in that Real side, but they would definitely have a big adjustment to make against us. (and it WILL be us they face).

Both these teams defend far better than Roma. The reason Roma have to fight back is because they defend so poorly. No doubt when they get the bit between their teeth at home, they can feed of it. They caught Barca cold, that won't happen with us. And we will pick them off.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #790: Apr 25, 2018 11:20:03 pm
      Roma is a massive atmostphere to play against, it disables teams as much as Anfield does.

No it's NOT.

We should *always* respect our opponents but seems like some people have got so used to being underdogs they feel the need to big up Roma to ridiculous levels.

Roma play in a 70k stadium with an average attendance of 37k. Their fans are nothing special.

Their form at home this season is actually worse than their away form.

This is a club in only their 2nd ever Champions League semifinal. Not long ago they were beaten 7-1 at home in a UCL group stage match. Remember Porto, the ones we beat 5-0 away? Well, last season they kicked Roma out in the playoffs with a 3-0 win at the Stadio Olimpico. Roma are serial bottlers who have won only 3 Italian titles in their history, significantly less than Pro Vercelli, Torino or Genoa. Barcelona was a freak result.

And... they are 3 goals down at the start of the match.

So can we please stop making up excuses to be afraid? Respect them, as always, but f**k me, Liverpool fans fearing Roma need to give their heads a wobble. F**k them.
      +16
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #791: Apr 25, 2018 11:26:13 pm
      Bayern looked knackered in that game tonight.
      They were shown up by a not particular good Real performance. The result yes, but the performance no.

My only fear for next week is fatigue as the game wears on.
      We saw it last night in those final 15 minutes when we just seemed to go to jelly leg mode.
      Only having three first choice midfielders (Milner,Henderson and Wijnaldum) means Jürgen may need to re-shuffle how we set up on the night. I take it Can won't be available?

They will throw the kitchen sink at us just like Man City did but I am confident we'll weather the storm and make it through.

Let's not forget, we've got Mo Salah and Firmino who are the two most dangerous strikers in Europe right now and they WILL create chances for each other whether Roma like it or not, ping one or two in and it's book your tickets to Kiev !! ;D

One things for certain that when we get to Kiev we'll play in our Red strip by the look of Real Madrid's result tonight.

This is our year folks..
      “Winners don’t think defeat. They think victory.”

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #792: Apr 26, 2018 12:18:38 am
      Bayern looked knackered in that game tonight.
      They were shown up by a not particular good Real performance. The result yes, but the performance no.

My only fear for next week is fatigue as the game wears on.
      We saw it last night in those final 15 minutes when we just seemed to go to jelly leg mode.
      Only having three first choice midfielders (Milner,Henderson and Wijnaldum) means Jürgen may need to re-shuffle how we set up on the night. I take it Can won't be available?

They will throw the kitchen sink at us just like Man City did but I am confident we'll weather the storm and make it through.

Let's not forget, we've got Mo Salah and Firmino who are the two most dangerous strikers in Europe right now and they WILL create chances for each other whether Roma like it or not, ping one or two in and it's book your tickets to Kiev !! ;D

One things for certain that when we get to Kiev we'll play in our Red strip by the look of Real Madrid's result tonight.

This is our year folks..
      “Winners don’t think defeat. They think victory.”

We have three league matches remaining, two of which are Brighton and Stoke at home. 4 pts against them and we are home. If we win or draw Satrurdays game game we can pretty much say its in our hands, so do we rest players? Some, maybe but that's most likely 2 of our front 3 . Brighton won't have anything to play for. The return leg in Roma for me is about us sharpening our teeth again. Forget this playing out the second leg, we are crap at that. We have one magnificent gear, so lets use that!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #793: Apr 26, 2018 12:19:01 am
      This is our year folks..“Winners don’t think defeat. They think victory.”

Definitely
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #794: Apr 26, 2018 12:52:31 am
      Roma passes the ball to Dzeko with precision and once the ball gets to the targetman that's where the danger starts. Lovren must rest learned from his bungling act of clashing onto TAA instead of intercepting crosses to Dzeko.

Roma moves very fast from their own half  and once the ball gets to their wingers that's where the crosses comes into our box. We will also need to plug the hole just outside our box from preventing Roma taking free shots. Need to also close the down fast just outside our box.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #795: Apr 26, 2018 07:28:00 am
      No it's NOT.

We should *always* respect our opponents but seems like some people have got so used to being underdogs they feel the need to big up Roma to ridiculous levels.

Roma play in a 70k stadium with an average attendance of 37k. Their fans are nothing special.

This is a club in only their 2nd ever Champions League semifinal. Not long ago they were beaten 7-1 at home in a UCL group stage match. Remember Porto, the ones we beat 5-0 away? Well, last season they kicked Roma out in the playoffs with a 3-0 win at the Stadio Olimpico. Roma are serial bottlers who have won only 3 Italian titles in their history, significantly less than Pro Vercelli, Torino or Genoa. Barcelona was a freak result.

So can we please stop making up excuses to be afraid? Respect them, as always, but f**k me, Liverpool fans fearing Roma need to give their heads a wobble. F**k them.

Well said fella.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #796: Apr 26, 2018 07:56:50 am
      Roma passes the ball to Dzeko with precision and once the ball gets to the targetman that's where the danger starts. Lovren must rest learned from his bungling act of clashing onto TAA instead of intercepting crosses to Dzeko.

Roma moves very fast from their own half  and once the ball gets to their wingers that's where the crosses comes into our box. We will also need to plug the hole just outside our box from preventing Roma taking free shots. Need to also close the down fast just outside our box.

How come the didn't do this on Tuesday then?
      I know they will be better on Wednesday but they will have to be a LOT better and us a hell of a LOT worse for them to go to the final. Plus I simply cannot imagine us not scoring at least a couple of goals, their defence were like deer trapped in headlights against our magnificent trio.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #797: Apr 26, 2018 08:01:00 am
      Roma is a massive atmostphere to play against, it disables teams as much as Anfield does. Salah should have played to the 90. I really think Salah should be rested against Stoke now because he needs 90 in the second leg, a measure not needed if Klopp left Salah on and took 5-0. He's really ****** things up. Klopp is a good manager but he shown this last week he has some room to improve.

Salah wants that PL and LFC goals record. He’ll start against Stoke
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #798: Apr 26, 2018 08:06:33 am
      Salah wants that PL and LFC goals record. He’ll start against Stoke

There's almost 3 days between the Stoke game and Roma, I think the lads should be able to handle playing both. Its very iportant that we beat Stoke after the slip up against West Brom.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #799: Apr 26, 2018 08:32:02 am
      No it's NOT.

Brilliantly said!!!

They should be fearing us as they've seen first hand how for the bulk of the match, the systematic dismantling job we did on them. It was simply breathtaking.

Good luck trying to keep a clean sheet against our rampant attacking trio.

Show them respect yes, but then go on and torch them! When we score our first, I bet their heads will drop a bit which is where we're at our most ruthless, piling on the pressure, going for the jugular.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #800: Apr 26, 2018 09:25:21 am
      They haven't faced us in the orange strip yet! I envisage a spectacle in the colliseum!
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #801: Apr 26, 2018 09:47:06 am
      We know that Roma havent a clue tactically and will just rely on exploiting Lovren. So they will probably score a couple, but going for us like that to will be just what we need.
      If Mane can sort his F***ing head out, we might win 5-2 again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #802: Apr 26, 2018 09:56:41 am
      We are not in the final yet and if it was last season I could envisage a situation where we cocked up big time but not this time not with this side. Even if we concede early I just think we have team that has confidence in itself to move forward and score enough goals to win a game and it frightens the sh*t out of teams.
      Watching the other game last night I cant believe how f***in good we are going forward the speed compared to last nights game is just off the scale.
      We can score a goal in as many touches as they took to get it upto the half way line.
      If we can keep them together and add a few more for depth we will be in for an exciting few years regardless of City and their money.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #803: Apr 26, 2018 10:11:31 am
      3-0 and we're out. Don't tell me we cannot even score one goal in Rome with 1) Unplayable Salah and 2) Roma coming out to play and leaving gaps behind.

4-1 and we'll be out too. Don't tell me we're so defensively poor we'll concede 4 after scoring one goal. And don't tell me with gaps behind their defence our attack can't knock two in.

We can go through and we will go through on the basis that our defence isn't that bad. Just don't play MIGs. And our attack can surely get us a goal or two.  It's just pretty difficult for the score to be 3-0 or 4-1 or 5-2. The odds are stacked against them and not us.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #804: Apr 26, 2018 02:34:54 pm
      F**k I must be insane I've watched the replay of the whole game once and the second half twice and that was breathtaking football right up until the 80th minute.

What a joy we are to watch when we get going Roma are chasing a 3 goal deficit they will need to go for it and that will suit us down to a tee the way we play.

Where did you watch the full highlights? I missed the game & heard some bits on the Radio.

Quick Reply