Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roma fans attack Liverpool supporters at Anfield

Read 23550 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Roma fans attack Liverpool supporters at Anfield
      Apr 24, 2018 10:51:37 pm
      Being reported by the BBC

Police investigate serious assault outside Anfield
      Police are investigating a serious assault of a man outside Anfield before Liverpool's Champions League semi-final match with Roma.

Merseyside Police said the attack happened at about 19:35 BST outside the Albert pub on Walton Breck Road.

There were clashes between Liverpool and Roma supporters shortly before kick-off.

About 80 Roma fans are thought to have used a side road to reach an area populated by Liverpool supporters.

One supporter was seen motionless on the road and BBC Sport footage showed another fan carrying a hammer.

Trouble broke out behind the Kop End, with reports of Roma supporters attacking home fans.

BBC Sport News correspondent David Ornstein said the pre-match trouble started when a "group of Roma fans arrived via Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, many using belts".

He said a Liverpool fan was knocked to the floor and received lengthy medical treatment.

He added that there were "skirmishes, projectiles" and at least one person had "a hammer".

Sunday Times football correspondent Jonathan Northcroft tweeted that the "attack was sudden", adding that the "Roma group were chased down the street before police arrived".

Police are appealing for anyone with video footage or information to contact them.

https://twitter.com/TheFootyStands/status/988878484700311552
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2018 10:17:55 am by JD »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Roma fans attack Liverpool supporters
      Reply #1: Apr 24, 2018 10:54:30 pm
      Did not know about this before or during the match. Sounds awful and the consequences cannot be good.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Apr 24, 2018 10:59:21 pm
      I feel sick , absolutely disgusting, and for what exactly?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2018 10:59:23 pm
      Did not know about this before or during the match. Sounds awful and the consequences cannot be good.
      This needs to be met with severe punishment for the club. They have history of attacking opposition supporters (Spurs) and it’s clearly not 1 or 2 individuals. Apparently 80 odd looking for trouble and many carrying hammers, belts etc.

Absolutely shocking news and football really pales into insignificance in light of such matters. Heartbreaking stuff.
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2018 11:02:32 pm
      Absolute scum
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2018 11:09:43 pm
      End of the same video above but from the other side of the road.  Notable lack of large police presence which is a surprise given Roma fans reputation.

https://streamable.com/9n1kl
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2018 11:13:15 pm
      Disgrace. Ban the team from Europe next season and make them play behind closed doors the year after.

Unacceptable.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2018 11:14:56 pm
      did anyone demand an apology from their manager and club like we made after some F***ing bottles hit a bus?

horrific. genuinely worried for those going next week.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2018 11:27:29 pm
      Police must have known the Roma fans have a reputation and lets be honest about this we have plenty who can stir up trouble. The City thing was a disgrace. But the police have to get a grip. Thugs will wreck the game.

Can't take any interest when stuff like this happens.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2018 11:45:01 pm
      Ruins it for everyone.
      There will no doubt be mayhem in Rome next week and we'll get the blame and end up getting banned, again !
      Looking at that footage, where the F**k are the police? doesn't give our fans travelling to Rome next week confidence does it?
      I hate this sh*t, I really do :f_steam:
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Apr 25, 2018 12:07:27 am
      Ruins it for everyone.
      There will no doubt be mayhem in Rome next week and we'll get the blame and end up getting banned, again !
      Looking at that footage, where the f**k are the police? doesn't give our fans travelling to Rome next week confidence does it?
      I hate this sh*t, I really do :f_steam:

Yes I hate violence of any kind. On BBC Ceefax that the police have arrested a man in connection to the assault.

But your right it does ruin the game. Puts me off taking an interest. Just hope the guy injured pulls thru.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Apr 25, 2018 12:17:38 am
      Awful, awful news.

Stay safe to those flying out for the second leg.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #12: Apr 25, 2018 12:53:14 am
      It was always going to be a concern when the tie was announced, but thought the home leg would be safe enough.

When I travel to away games at club or international level in sensitive places, I never wear colours until I am in the stadium, so as not to make myself a sitting duck if aggro does flare up. It's the safest, if not the most fun thing to do.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Apr 25, 2018 12:55:38 am
      Typical itie shithouse behaviour expected nothing less from them rats.

Good to see the police have already arrested 2 italians on suspicion of attempted murder.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2018 01:11:48 am
      Hope the travelling Kop have stab proof protection for their buttocks whilst in Rome.. Read an article just claiming that's where they attack you... Not to kill but humiliate you..

Sickos..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2018 01:34:19 am
      Yes I hate violence of any kind. On BBC Ceefax that the police have arrested a man in connection to the assault.

But your right it does ruin the game. Puts me off taking an interest. Just hope the guy injured pulls thru.

Yeah they're cu*ts yes. Hope they go to nick the horrible bas**rds..

But I've got to ask, Ceefax? That still going?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2018 06:25:28 am
      So the guy is in critical condition, not stabbed but seemingly received several blows to the head. 2 guys charged with attempted murder.

Just read the article on BBC and they are on about our fans using flares. Really? Is that important at the moment?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Apr 25, 2018 06:30:55 am
      Their home leg should be played behind closed doors with only our Supporters allowed in.  cu*ts! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #18: Apr 25, 2018 06:43:33 am
      Hope the travelling Kop have stab proof protection for their buttocks whilst in Rome.. Read an article just claiming that's where they attack you... Not to kill but humiliate you..

Sickos..

My old man was there in 84 said it was absolute mayhem.

My brothers heading out for the second leg, it’s a worry, you’d have thought at Anfield nothing would happen, especially right outside the stadium.

Hope the injured lads pull through.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #20: Apr 25, 2018 08:30:51 am
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018 11:13:00 pm by JD »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #21: Apr 25, 2018 09:01:13 am
      Firstly lets hope the man attacked comes through. Not in a good way by all accounts.

Amazes me how UEFA go mad about people standing in aisles or a few cans getting thrown at buses or flares being lit but when a human being is attacked in the street not a peep from them
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #22: Apr 25, 2018 09:39:18 am
      Firstly lets hope the man attacked comes through. Not in a good way by all accounts.

Amazes me how UEFA go mad about people standing in aisles or a few cans getting thrown at buses or flares being lit but when a human being is attacked in the street not a peep from them
      Quite amazing isn't it mate?,my nephew was at the game last night  with his girl & did witness one of the Roma fans get literally dived on top of by a policeman , they handcuffed the fan & frogmarched him away.
      I hope to God the 53 year old red pulls through ,someone's dad just going about his business & wanting to watch the mighty reds and ends up in a critical condition.
      Can't speak for anyone else but it's enough to put me off footie seeing & reading about stuff like that ,it's absolutely vile that someone could  do something like that to a fellow human being.

Quick Reply