Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool vs. Stoke City 28/04/2018 - 12;30 pm

Read 6388 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool vs. Stoke City 28/04/2018 - 12;30 pm
      Apr 26, 2018 06:04:22 am
      I suspect the discussion about this will be almost entirely about team selection with the 2nd leg at Roma looming.

Our squad was thin to begin with. Now with a variety of injuries, Jürgen may feel very reluctant to risk any first choice players vs. Stoke, although that will be a battling occasion with them fighting relegation.

He could sport an all-change back four of Clyne, Gomez, Klavan and Moreno. This conjures images of general shakiness, if I'm honest, but it would allow Jürgen to rest our starters.

He could use a completely different front three of Ings, Solanke and Woodburn, not that this sounds appealing in any way other than preserving the starters.

But to change midfield he would be dipping into literally the 4th string of players.
      Henderson, Milner and Gini are the three remaining regulars at that position.
      Can, Lallana and Ox are all out injured.
      Then you have Grujic, Ejaria and Harry Wilson all on loan (add Pedro Chirivella for good measure).
      That's 9 players preferred to the three who have been training with the first team.
      So I guess he has no choice but to use Hendo, Millie and Gini, but what a disaster if one of them would go down.

Add to all of this the fact that we haven't qualified for next year's CL, yet.

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018 12:26:47 pm by RedPuppy »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool vs. Stoke City 28/04/2018 - 12;30 pm
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2018 08:08:23 am
      I suspect the discussion about this will be almost entirely about team selection with the 2nd leg at Roma looming.

Our squad was thin to begin with. Now with a variety of injuries, Jürgen may feel very reluctant to risk any first choice players vs. Stoke, although that will be a battling occasion with them fighting relegation.

He could sport an all-change back four of Clyne, Gomez, Klavan and Moreno. This conjures images of general shakiness, if I'm honest, but it would allow Jürgen to rest our starters.

He could use a completely different front three of Ings, Solanke and Woodburn, not that this sounds appealing in any way other than preserving the starters.

But to change midfield he would be dipping into literally the 4th string of players.
      Henderson, Milner and Gini are the three remaining regulars at that position.
      Can, Lallana and Ox are all out injured.
      Then you have Grujic, Ejaria and Harry Wilson all on loan (add Pedro Chirivella for good measure).
      That's 9 players preferred to the three who have been training with the first team.
      So I guess he has no choice but to use Hendo, Millie and Gini, but what a disaster if one of them would go down.

Add to all of this the fact that we haven't qualified for next year's CL, yet.

We have to play a strong team, hopefully steamroller them and then take off some key players.
      7DocUnleashed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 10 
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2018 11:48:41 am

We need to make sure we qualify for next year.
      There should be a balance of resting players and going for the win.

Karius
                                                     Gomez Lovren VanDijk
                                              Clyne Henderson Milner Moreno
                                                     Ings Solanke Woodburn

Bring Gini on for Milner or Henderson in the second half to rest one of them.
      Ings Solanke and Woodburn are playing for their places and should play their hearts out.
      Rest Mo, Mane and Bobby to keep them fresh to terrorize Roma.
      But swap them for any of the top three if its not going to plan.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2018 12:09:05 pm
      I'm pretty sure Klopp will rest two out of the front three for this with Ings and Solanke coming in.

We could rest Lovren, Arnold and Robertson too, with Clyne, Klavan and Moreno. I think Klopp has kept van Dijk playing due to his lack of game time this Season so feels he is still ripe.

Not many options in midfield, with Can and Lallana penned in to return for the 13th May we are fu**ed. Could be an option to play Masterson as a defensive midfielder? Possibly give Woodburn a run out as well.

Seems we are cursed in the midfield department.

Klopp will sort it out, we should have enough in the tank to turn these over at home.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2018 12:23:01 pm
      Extra day of rest,  full strength best 11 for me.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #5: Apr 26, 2018 12:56:07 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

No need to be drastic with the changes but probably need to be inventive with the formation. A back 3 allows us to rest one of the midfielders. Rotate the full-backs; in fact, the formation might even benefit Clyne and Moreno.

Keep the momentum going with Salah and bring him off around the hour mark. 2/3 of our forwards to start, preferably Firmino alongside Salah as Firmino is more effective when starting and Mane can make an impact off the bench if needed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Apr 26, 2018 12:58:36 pm
      8 head of Chelsea. Call it 5 with the game in hand. And with them to play. Add in we will need huge energy levels Wednesdsy and I side with rest players.

Our midfield is wafer thin we  cant risk playing the 3 lads but must start at leat 1 so my starting 11

Karius
      Clyne         Lovern          Klavan    Moreno

Gomez

Hendo        Woodburn

Salah                   solanke          Ings

Get Mo off on the hour and Hendo.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Apr 26, 2018 12:58:59 pm

Karius
                                                     Gomez Lovren VanDijk
                                                     Ings Solanke Woodburn

Ings Solanke and Woodburn are playing for their places and should play their hearts out.

Oh F**k no, that's a nightmare lineup and would probably see Stoke winning the match or at best us drawing. Have you forgotten how F***ing useless Solanke and Ings are at doing their jobs, ie scoring?
      We NEED to win this game, hopefully early so that we can rest some players, but we start strong, almost full strength.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Apr 26, 2018 01:15:31 pm
      Can't take to many liberties with Stoke. Top 4 is still obviously our aim. Stoke need a result so if we play a much weakened side they will be even more motivated.

Who can we ill afford to lose for the rest of this campaign...Salah. At least 4 games left..5 if we get into the C/L final.....WTF.... sod it...all hands on deck...we go for it..full throttle...
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #9: Apr 26, 2018 01:21:57 pm
      Salah to start. Grab a hattrick. Get taken off with the reds 3-0 up.

Stoke to mount a comeback. Score 3 goals. Fans to slam the substitution.

Then Firmino to score the winner.  From the bench. Having replaced Salah. ;)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Apr 26, 2018 01:30:07 pm
      coyr

lets win this and condemn them to championship

aleh aleh aleh

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Apr 26, 2018 01:40:30 pm

Team exposed in midfield.

Mane, Firmino & Henderson as subs for Salah, Wijnaldum & Milner in 2nd half.
      5 or 6 changes guaranteed for the game. Only real question is who starts in midfield.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Apr 26, 2018 01:55:13 pm
      Salah to start. Grab a hattrick. Get taken off with the reds 3-0 up.

Stoke to mount a comeback. Score 3 goals. Fans to slam the substitution.

Then Firmino to score the winner.  From the bench. Having replaced Salah. ;)

The last time Stoke mounted a comeback beer was a penny a pint and they had Stanley Matthews on the wing..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Apr 26, 2018 02:15:45 pm

Team exposed in midfield.

Mane, Firmino & Henderson as subs for Salah, Wijnaldum & Milner in 2nd half.
      5 or 6 changes guaranteed for the game. Only real question is who starts in midfield.

I think we need at least 2 of our normal 3 in attack, I'd be OK starting with Bobby, Mane and Ings and then bring on mighty Mo if we need him. All other positions I'd like to see us more or less full strength, if we field a weakened team then Stoke will smell blood and they'll be massively up for this game anyway as they still have a glimmer of survival.
      After the F**k up as West brom we need to win this game to take the pressure off otherwise we'll have it hanging over us going to Rome which won't be good.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #14: Apr 26, 2018 02:26:52 pm
      I think Woodburn has to play. When is he going to play otherwise - this is Stoke for fuuuuk's sake. Also, Ings as 9 not Solanke.

I go for 2-1 to redmen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Apr 26, 2018 02:28:47 pm
      I think we need at least 2 of our normal 3 in attack, I'd be OK starting with Bobby, Mane and Ings and then bring on mighty Mo if we need him. All other positions I'd like to see us more or less full strength, if we field a weakened team then Stoke will smell blood and they'll be massively up for this game anyway as they still have a glimmer of survival.
      After the F**k up as West brom we need to win this game to take the pressure off otherwise we'll have it hanging over us going to Rome which won't be good.

Had 2 of the 3 originally, but wary of playing too many of the 3+3 for a full 90 minutes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Apr 26, 2018 02:36:57 pm
      Can't see Mane starting tomorrow, seen limping into Spire Hospital yesterday.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Apr 26, 2018 02:37:16 pm

Karius
                                                     Gomez Lovren VanDijk
                                                     Ings Solanke Woodburn

Fully agree.

Like I've put in Mo's thread ... stick him and Bobby in cotton wool. 

The prize is too big.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #18: Apr 26, 2018 02:38:31 pm
      Can't see Mane starting tomorrow, seen limping into Spire Hospital yesterday.

F**k off, really? :(
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #19: Apr 26, 2018 02:48:24 pm
      I think Mo will be busting to play in this. He's still wants the record and the Golden Boot. So with that I think Bobby would have to play aswell as hes so important to Mo with his play. So maybe play Ings wide left or even Moreno. Our midfield is the problem so I'd rest Hendo and play Gini in that 6 role with Milner and Woodburn. If Clyne is fit then he's in. So this would be a perfect opportunity to play Gomez alongside VVD and se how it goes. Klaven can play left back.

Karius
      Clyne        Gomez        VVD   Klaven/Al M
                            Wijnaldum
                Woodburn         Milner
      Salah             Firmino             Ings

Not ideal I know but as it stands we are still 3rd in the league and even if we lost we would stay 3rd if Spurs win because of our better goal difference. Even if the Chavs won aswell they would still be 5 points behind. We've got this one chance to get into another final finishing 4th doesnt sound so bad if we do get there so putting out a weakened team would not be a travisty to me.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: Apr 26, 2018 02:54:32 pm
      I think Mo will be busting to play in this. He's still wants the record and the Golden Boot. So with that I think Bobby would have to play aswell as hes so important to Mo with his play. So maybe play Ings wide left or even Moreno. Our midfield is the problem so I'd rest Hendo and play Gini in that 6 role with Milner and Woodburn. If Clyne is fit then he's in. So this would be a perfect opportunity to play Gomez alongside VVD and se how it goes. Klaven can play left back.

Karius
      Clyne        Gomez        VVD   Klaven/Al M
                            Wijnaldum
                Woodburn         Milner
      Salah             Firmino             Ings

Not ideal I know but as it stands we are still 3rd in the league and even if we lost we would stay 3rd if Spurs win because of our better goal difference. Even if the Chavs won aswell they would still be 5 points behind. We've got this one chance to get into another final finishing 4th doesnt sound so bad if we do get there so putting out a weakened team would not be a travisty to me.

I like this team!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #21: Apr 26, 2018 04:21:57 pm
      I would go full strength. We cannot afford more dropped points as we are still not sure of Top Four.

The lads will have had three full days off and then will have another full three days until the 2nd leg.

Keep that winning feeling going to Rome and win for Sean Cox!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Apr 26, 2018 04:23:23 pm

Yeah think it was a scan, nothing too serious, he'll be fine for next week, but could obviously be a doubt for tomorrow.

Quick Reply