Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Midfield contenders for the rest of the season?

Read 5584 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Midfield contenders for the rest of the season?
      Apr 26, 2018 08:45:19 pm
      So due to season ending injuries to AOC and Emre Can as well as the loaning of Grujic to Cardiff, we have 3 first team players capable of playing CM to fill 3 CM positions.

So with likely rotation in the league thats going to mean a chance for someone to play in the league and at worst a spot on the bench (should we make it past a nervy trip to Rome) in Kiev.

Just wondering who the likely contenders are from the u23 grade to have that opportunity  because my knowledge on that area is ashamedly poor these days since scrapping the lfctv channel.

Any further injury or suspension though could well mean that they line up against against Bayern or Marid in Kiev in the biggest club game in world football!

Who can make the huge leap?
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018 08:49:42 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Midfield contenders for the rest of the season?
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2018 09:01:40 pm
      Gomez and Moreno makeshift and Woodburn and Jones from youth set up
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2018 09:27:45 pm
      So due to season ending injuries to AOC and Emre Can as well as the loaning of Grujic to Cardiff, we have 3 first team players capable of playing CM to fill 3 CM positions.

So with likely rotation in the league thats going to mean a chance for someone to play in the league and at worst a spot on the bench (should we make it past a nervy trip to Rome) in Kiev.

Just wondering who the likely contenders are from the u23 grade to have that opportunity  because my knowledge on that area is ashamedly poor these days since scrapping the lfctv channel.

Any further injury or suspension though could well mean that they line up against against Bayern or Marid in Kiev in the biggest club game in world football!

Who can make the huge leap?
      At this point none of the players I've seen are ready for this. Curtis Jones, Herbie Kane and Rafa Camacho are three who have trained with the first team, but it would be a total prayer to use any of them with the first team in a competitive match. THey are 17, 17 and 19. Ben Woodburn has played some with the first team, but almost always in the forward three, once this year in September and therefore not in eight months.

Besides the three first team players (Hendo, Millie and Gini) and the three out injured (Lallana, Ox and Can), our next three in midfield rightfully would be Marko Grujic, Harry Wilson and Ovie Ejaria, but they are all out on loan and ineligible for the rest of the season.

Still, given the confluence of events, we might see one or more of those youth players vs. Stoke on Saturday.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2018 09:32:43 pm
      I would expect Woodburn to play against Stoke but beyond that there is very little available that has played for us at this level before. The others mentioned like Kane / Jones / Camacho have never played on the 1st team so it'd be a tough ask of them. Arnold moving to midfield could also be an option.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2018 10:31:21 pm
      Its a huge chance for someone and a big concern for us all really.

There's the option of playing TAA in there but hes doing so well at full back and Gomez struggled last time to the extent that that ideas not too appealing in all honesty either. He's a player who Klopp would no doubt love to rest too in all honesty.

For champions league purposes the 3 first team cms will have to be nursed through this period now but the fact remains we can't take it too easy in the league with 5 points still needed to secure 4th place.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018 10:38:32 pm by fields of anny rd »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Apr 26, 2018 10:35:19 pm
      There are no options. TAA maybe moves forward. Woodburn goes left and Firmino drops deeper.
      We're on fumes.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #6: Apr 26, 2018 10:55:13 pm
      Fairly sure Moreno has played for us on the left side of the midfield and I'd personally have no problem with him doing so against Stoke.

We won games with Kevin Stewart and Jay Spearing in the midfield so I would not have a problem with a young player being given the chance to do something either.

Steven Gerrard at one point, believe it or not, hadn't played a first team game for Liverpool.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Apr 26, 2018 10:57:05 pm
      I'd be tempted to play Trent there this weekend.

Very low on numbers though so fingers crossed the three experienced guys stay fit.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Apr 26, 2018 11:00:53 pm
      We won games with Kevin Stewart and Jay Spearing in the midfield so I would not have a problem with a young player being given the chance to do something either.

I remember a game where Spearing had Yaya in his pocket all game :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Apr 26, 2018 11:08:49 pm

Ha ha! Remember it well - April 2011, Kenny in the dugout, battered them 3-0! Drastically different times back then mind!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10: Apr 26, 2018 11:19:06 pm
      Ha ha! Remember it well - April 2011, Kenny in the dugout, battered them 3-0! Drastically different times back then mind!

He was a tenacious little f**ker, but a good distributor too! I liked him a lot and wanted to see more of him under Rodgers, but it wasn't to be!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Apr 26, 2018 11:34:56 pm

There was a time, on holidays full of drink on pre-season, when I thought Liverpool should build a team around Spearing. :D
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #12: Apr 26, 2018 11:38:04 pm
      There are no options. TAA maybe moves forward. Woodburn goes left and Firmino drops deeper.
      We're on fumes.

Yep, TAA is only real option tbh. I guess you could drop Bobby in there and play Salah as a CF with Woodburn coming into one of the wider positions.

You're right about the fumes. We are literally down to a bare 11, any player who comes in at virtually every position now represents a significant drop off from the player they replace. I think we'll get past roma next week but my gut feeling is that (with this decimated squad) the Champions League Final will be a game too far. As for the League we really need a win this weekend. I believe a point in either of the games with Chelsea or Brighton would be enough for us then (assuming Chelsea don't overcome our GD, I believe it's superior by nearly 20 goals?).

Gutted we can't bring back the likes of Grucic and Origi because we could really do with them for the last few games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Apr 26, 2018 11:44:13 pm
      Yep, TAA is only real option tbh. I guess you could drop Bobby in there and play Salah as a CF with Woodburn coming into one of the wider positions.

You're right about the fumes. We are literally down to a bare 11, any player who comes in at virtually every position now represents a significant drop off from the player they replace. I think we'll get past roma next week but my gut feeling is that (with this decimated squad) the Champions League Final will be a game too far. As for the League we really need a win this weekend. I believe a point in either of the games with Chelsea or Brighton would be enough for us then (assuming Chelsea don't overcome our GD, I believe it's superior by nearly 20 goals?).

Gutted we can't bring back the likes of Grucic and Origi because we could really do with them for the last few games.

Rotation needed now for the League, yet it's not job done.
      No squad depth finally raises it's head.
      No point dwelling on it too much.
      Would like to see Woodburn get a run out with Ings but beyond that the concern is the midfield 3 playing 90 + 90.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Apr 26, 2018 11:45:03 pm

I'd still like to see us give Herbie Kane a game or 2. He could pull off a Kalas, Reece Oxford etc performance!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2018 12:35:02 am
      If no one thinks that a Reserve or academy player can stand in then Here's two wild suggestion...

Either play Mane, Ings Salah up front and Firmino behind them, Or the front three Mane,Firmino,Salah, and Solanke in midfield...
      Could also use Moreno, as Left back with Robertson on the left or visa vera, They could chop and change when necessary

Things being what they are we need to try something before the Roma game
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2018 12:37:12 am
      Start every game we've got left with the 1st choice three in midfield please Jürgen, nothing less.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Apr 27, 2018 03:18:16 am
      Moreno can do a job on the wing...probably better and safer to play him there than it is to play him in defence. Clyne could go on the right wing if needed, TAA would be the better option but dont think we can afford to be risking him this weekend.

Way of looking at it I guess, if we are to go for a youngster, he’d have to really f**k up to be worse than when we had Poulsen playing.

We had a similar situation to this around 07 I think it was, maybe 08. We had Arsenal 3 times in something stupid like 5 days and ended up playing Damien Plessis. He didn’t have the best of times with us but the part he played in them games, from what I remember, we couldn’t really have asked for any more from him and he didn’t disappoint. An up and coming player has to be given a chance and make his mark sooner or later and this could be the perfect time.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018 03:22:27 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2018 05:44:48 am
      obviously don't start our remaining 3 midfielders in every single match remaining, ;D. i would hope to see woodburn and TAA get some minutes centrally and whoever is fittest of our senior CM's can help them out
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2018 07:04:10 am
      We're on fumes.

My concern with that is we play TAA in the engine room to give one of the 3 a rest and he gets a knock.....

For that reason I’d be tempted to go with one of the youngsters who isn’t a regular.....
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2018 07:37:56 am
      Give Gerrard a call.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #21: Apr 27, 2018 07:39:55 am
      Play a kid or two, who knows - might be the start of something special for one of them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: Apr 27, 2018 07:50:24 am
      Can we register Steven Gerrard...

Quick Reply