Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Midfield contenders for the rest of the season?

Read 5668 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Midfield contenders for the rest of the season?
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2018 08:00:19 am
      Against a two-man midfield that includes Joe Allen, I think we can get away with playing Jones as he'd have a man advantage alongside him and he isn't up against big bodies.

Perhaps Jones alongside Gini and Woodburn in front of them. Moreno, Ings and Solanke up top (F**k me...just realised how bad that side is after typing it :D )
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2018 09:03:30 am
      If we are going to rest players, I'd go:
      Karius
      Gomez Klavan VanDijk Robertson
      Wijnaldum Milner Woodburn
      Salah Ings Firmino

We need to win this. We could rest more if we hadn't bottled it at West Brom but 4th is still not secured and we can't risk going into the Chelsea game with more dropped points.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2018 09:35:45 am
      If no one thinks that a Reserve or academy player can stand in then Here's two wild suggestion...

Either play Mane, Ings Salah up front and Firmino behind them, Or the front three Mane,Firmino,Salah, and Solanke in midfield...
      Could also use Moreno, as Left back with Robertson on the left or visa vera, They could chop and change when necessary

Things being what they are we need to try something before the Roma game

I agree with this, surely we can use Ings and/or Solanke in midfield, they might actually even be better in the position of an AM. I also think Moreno and TAA can play midfield at a push so its not really quite that grim.

I'm also wondering if we can recall any of the loanees, its nearing the end of the season and if their respective loan clubs are safe and not chasing the tittle or fighting relegation then surely they would be ok with us taking them back.
      Mrgavin
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      • Hyyvshhxng
      Reply #26: Apr 27, 2018 10:42:10 am
      3 @ the back 2 wing backs. problem solved..
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #27: Apr 27, 2018 10:47:01 am
      Fairly sure Moreno has played for us on the left side of the midfield and I'd personally have no problem with him doing so against Stoke.

We won games with Kevin Stewart and Jay Spearing in the midfield so I would not have a problem with a young player being given the chance to do something either.

Steven Gerrard at one point, believe it or not, hadn't played a first team game for Liverpool.

Actually, I wouldn't mind him shifting in Salah's position once Salah is substituted after scoring a hattrick in the first half. :)

Woodburn for midfield for sure - it's Stoke FFS not bludy Man City.

We should have enough to beat this Stoke side.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #28: Apr 27, 2018 11:01:56 am
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #29: Apr 27, 2018 11:11:27 am

He will be miles off full fitness so just a body back that’s all.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #30: Apr 27, 2018 11:50:13 am
      Woodburn certainly seems in with a chance for the weekend?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #31: Apr 27, 2018 12:26:10 pm
      I guess you could drop Bobby in there and play Salah

I'd rather play Migs and my dog up front than risk Bobby or Salah against a dirty team like Stoke this weekend.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: Apr 27, 2018 12:32:59 pm

More the better mate!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Apr 27, 2018 12:57:31 pm
      Klopp in his presser didn't sound too likely to use Woodburn, this weekend at least. Said he could play the same 11 from Roma, that Tuesday-Saturday-Wednesday was doable from a lineup perspective, but of course admitted we are short players.

Also - all of this Trent to midfield talk - our fullbacks run as much as anybody in the side. If we ever rotate, Trent and Robbo would need the break as much as anyone.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Apr 27, 2018 01:10:05 pm
      Lads on Trent. Stevie G mentioned about him being able to play as a holding midfielder in an interview a while back. Maybe that could be investigated with Clyne back?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35: Apr 27, 2018 01:19:03 pm
      Lads on Trent. Stevie G mentioned about him being able to play as a holding midfielder in an interview a while back. Maybe that could be investigated with Clyne back?

Good shout, I was thinking more a box-boxer on the right side of midfield, but now I'd be interested to see how he does as a holding midfielder!
      Kopite78
      Reply #36: Apr 27, 2018 01:28:42 pm

Trent came through the age groups as a midfielder

However Klopp recently said that he's only being viewed as a full back now as he's perfect in what we want from a full back in this system
      That he's only been training as a midfielder

Think what he said and did with Milner last season and then into this season. Last season he was only being trained and used as a full back.. this season he was being used and trained as a midfielder

Trent won't be used in midfield
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #37: Apr 27, 2018 01:31:58 pm
      Trent came through the age groups as a midfielder

However Klopp recently said that he's only being viewed as a full back now as he's perfect in what we want from a full back in this system
      That he's only been training as a midfielder

Think what he said and did with Milner last season and then into this season. Last season he was only being trained and used as a full back.. this season he was being used and trained as a midfielder

Trent won't be used in midfield

I also question the notion of protecting the midfield to (potentially) lose a fullback who is vital to this system.......
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,940 posts | 4995 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Apr 27, 2018 01:39:11 pm
      The way i see it is this, we have two/three top games against top teams coming up, firstly of course Roma full available side out for that and Chavs away again full available side, the final (should we get there) is just under a month away so time for maybe Can/Lallana to recover,

That leaves us Stoke & BHA, not exactly going to be too taxing playing a lesser X1 in either, think we only need 3pts to ensure CL for next season, if of course we don't qualify as winners 😁😁😁😁😁😁,
      So for Stoke I'd load the bench with usual suspects , and play a few of the young guns,.......something like this....

Karius
              Gomez   Klavan VVD  Moreno(&pray)
                     Henderson   Woodburn
                                Wijnaldom
                           Kane  Ings Jones

Bench ; Migs, Trent, Lovren, Milner,
                       Bobby, Salah, Mane

This way we have a smattering of youth with experience all around to guide the through, Stoke are f***in sh*te, lets face it, and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see us hammering the final nail in their premier league coffin, i don't think they'll have the heart for a battle and are already doomed mentally!

Also gives those young lads a wee taster of the real world of wearing our colours.

THIS MEANS MORE !!

YNWA

Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #39: Apr 27, 2018 01:56:36 pm
      Maybe by be creative he could've meant a change in formation against stoke.

3 cbs with 2 wingbacks with 2 in cm and a front 3 could work and lessen the impact on the midfield. With how stoke play the extra width provided from the wingbacks could help
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #40: Apr 27, 2018 01:57:30 pm

Don't think of it for this weekend or the Roma game, think of it for the CL Final a month from now when he'd be able to play for us and what a big addition to the squad it could be.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #41: Apr 27, 2018 09:07:29 pm
      The 5-2 result against Roma earlier this week is proving incredibly frustrating now with our decimated squad.
      That game is certainly not over
      The Stoke game is massive for our season and they will be up for it for sure.
      As others have said and the boss has indicated, we have to be very smart with our selection tomorrow.
      Would go with a:
      Karius
      Clyne
      Gomez
      Klaven
      VVD
      Moreno
      Gini
      Hendo
      Woodburn
      Ings
      Solanke

Basically a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2

Can’t risk injuries to Trent, Andy, Milner, Firmino, Salah and the doubtful Mane
      Whack them on the bench.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #42: Apr 27, 2018 09:28:18 pm
      The 5-2 result against Roma earlier this week is proving incredibly frustrating now with our decimated squad.
      That game is certainly not over
      The Stoke game is massive for our season and they will be up for it for sure.
      As others have said and the boss has indicated, we have to be very smart with our selection tomorrow.
      Would go with a:
      Karius
      Clyne
      Gomez
      Klaven
      VVD
      Moreno
      Gini
      Hendo
      Woodburn
      Ings
      Solanke

Basically a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2

Can’t risk injuries to Trent, Andy, Milner, Firmino, Salah and the doubtful Mane
      Whack them on the bench.

Good luck keeping Salah on the bench...doubt the manager can even pull that one off.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Apr 27, 2018 10:11:46 pm
      I also question the notion of protecting the midfield to (potentially) lose a fullback who is vital to this system.......

Only option outside of the current 3 midfielders is to move TAA forward and play either Clyne or Gomez at RB.
      Not saying it will happen, but the weekend is the best chance to at least give it a try in case it is needed later.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #44: Apr 27, 2018 11:13:39 pm
      Good luck keeping Salah on the bench...doubt the manager can even pull that one off.
      Ha!
      Yeah...he is desperate to play every game but now is the the time for the boss to really manage our limited resources and get us top 4 and get us to the CL final
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #45: Apr 27, 2018 11:19:10 pm
      Anyone hows fit it seems  :-\

Quick Reply