Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Stoke?

Loris Karius
      7 (14%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (8%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (12%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      5 (10%)
      Alberto Moreno
      7 (14%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (12%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (16%)
      Danny Ings
      1 (2%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      4 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: May 02, 2018 02:25:34 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25045 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Apr 28, 2018 03:37:38 pm
      Really don't agree about a lack of effort, effort was there but quality wasn't

Yep, the two often get confused for some reason. The lads worked but quality in and around the box was poor and to be fair to them they defended well. Ref killed us on the stonewall pen, can’t believe he didn’t give it. Chelsea will no doubt win and put some pressure on for top 4 which is a pain in the ass because it prevents the focus being solely on the champions League. Was a bit disappointed not to see Woodburn get some minutes and the Clyne sub was a bit of a head scratcher. The good thing is we know that a win at home to Brighton on the final day will see us qualify no matter the outcome of the Chelsea game.

As is always the case when we fail to score I see Henderson is getting it in the neck. Always find it strange that our front three get all the credit when we’re ripping teams to pieces but when they misfire it is the middies (usually Hendo) who get the blame.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #392: Apr 28, 2018 03:39:11 pm
      We could really do with a bit of squad depth too which doesn't help.

The drop off in quality is shocking when one of the first 11 aren't playing.

I mean look at city, take Jesus off and Aguero comes on and it's pretty much like for like quality wise.

Where as for us it's take mane, Salah or bobby off and we have Ings or solanke coming on.

It's a massive step down in quality in fact it's embarrassing really isn't it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #393: Apr 28, 2018 03:40:38 pm
      To be blatantly honest my main concern was no injuries. As far as im concerned the league title is off the shelf and top 4 is in our hands so winning champions league is total priority for me.

if being off the pace today means we get job done Wednesday then roll on into the bridge next weekdnd and get a result well then frankly today will be a blank to me when looking back on the season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #394: Apr 28, 2018 03:41:06 pm
      I agree...virtually. I think Gomez could do playing at CB but that’s it, not as a back 3 though and not at RB.

That said, I’d put Clyne in that list too, thought he was terrible, not rated him for a long time now.

You wonder if Clyne's decline is in part down to the players around him getting better as well as his own individual downturn in performance. Remember his form for much of last year was not good.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #395: Apr 28, 2018 03:44:20 pm
      You wonder if Clyne's decline is in part down to the players around him getting better as well as his own individual downturn in performance. Remember his form for much of last year was not good.

I thought Clyne did ok last season. Was steady Eddie 7/10 for me. Obviously we won’t be seeing the best of him this season but he still has a future at the club for me
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #396: Apr 28, 2018 03:48:06 pm
      You know I'm not certain there were no injuries today. Trent definitely had a knock and that's why he was taken off. Mo looked to be a little shaken up late on from some rough treatment. Sadio is at least enough of a concern that he was kept out today.

Hopefully all three will be good to go, but I saw enough to at least be concerned.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #397: Apr 28, 2018 03:48:24 pm
      Fine but your criticism of his decision making bears no context to the stage we're at and the circumstances we find ourselves at this stage of the season which is beyond what anyone thought a few months ago.

Well I only disagreed with the sub....I have never said Klopp is doing a bad job. Done a fantastic job. One of the best motivators ever.  Was always going to be a tough game today. Sandwhiched between the semi-final, with plenty of injuries. Was the type of game, esp in the last half hour when we were trying to scramble a goal. Ings is a predatory striker, get on the end of a lose ball in the box...nick one.

We don't get that many bodies in the box as per. For the penalty shout it was Moreno a yard off the line. With the last 20 minutes going to be going to be an all out assault on the Stoke box we needed bodies in there.  We went 4-4-2...from 4-3-3 for the last 20 minutes or so.

Clyne was coming down the right, supported by Milner...with Hendo playing off VVD and passing it to Klav...Wijnaldum doesn't get forward into the box...left 2 against a side sitting deep. Think it's not outlandish to say I think Ings should've stayed on.

Wasn't happening, Salah was off blob, Bobby wasn't seen to much. Ings staying on might not have made any difference. Woodburn might have brought that extra touch of energy...0-0...still in our hands.

Thanks for the interest tho..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #398: Apr 28, 2018 03:49:21 pm

As is always the case when we fail to score I see Henderson is getting it in the neck. Always find it strange that our front three get all the credit when we’re ripping teams to pieces but when they misfire it is the middies (usually Hendo) who get the blame.
      I disagree wholeheartedly. Hendo received massive plaudits for his exceptional performance against Roma. His performance today was just average. I don't really think either of those things is up for much debate personally.

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #399: Apr 28, 2018 03:50:33 pm

I think that's because when your midfield is sh*te it doesn't help the forwards get into the game.

Also I think just because we have gone from Gerrard who would at least show some passion and fight it highlights Henderson more.

Plus the amount of stupid passes he makes to nobody, floated over the top to nowhere, slipped through and they just go out and floated crosses from near the centre circle that go straight to the keeper it highlights how poor he is with the ball.

Sure he is good when his game plan is to harrie and chase people down when teams actually try to play

But when we play someone who are content to sit in and his game plan switches to actually setting people up and creating chances he is pretty poor.

I'd love him to just have a run through midfield a bit. He often has plenty of time to turn and drive forward 20 yards but his default is to just lay it back off immediately.

But like I said before I'm not and never have been his biggest fan so my opinion could be a little clouded by the fact.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #400: Apr 28, 2018 03:51:36 pm
      See that trent has a dead leg and hendo and joe have ankle injuries that need to be assessed
      ManuelFieschi
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      • manuelfieschiKoP
      Reply #401: Apr 28, 2018 03:53:30 pm
      I understand the important commitment of Rome but today the attitude was not from Liverpool ....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #402: Apr 28, 2018 03:55:20 pm
      I disagree wholeheartedly. Hendo received massive plaudits for his exceptional performance against Roma. His performance today was just average. I don't really think either of those things is up for much debate personally.

He had a world class performance vs Roma, but if people go back and watch it, it wasn't so much possession play, more so industrial work.

The vast majority of games where we are asked to dominate and have more ball possession vs defensive teams is where Hendo is not at his best. Same goes with our other midfielders (Milner, Wijnaldum & Can).

And I totally understand why people are more frustrated with Hendo because he is the hub of the team. When have we ever seen a game where Hendo needed to be stopped because he was dictating and causing all sorts of havoc? But in all fairness to Hendo, that really isn't his game.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #403: Apr 28, 2018 03:58:34 pm
      Where does he play for you? Not good enough for CB and TAA has allready surpassed him for RB.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #404: Apr 28, 2018 03:58:56 pm
      He had a world class performance vs Roma, but if people go back and watch it, it wasn't so much possession play, more so industrial work.

The vast majority of games where we are asked to dominate and have more ball possession vs defensive teams is where Hendo is not at his best. Same goes with our other midfielders (Milner, Wijnaldum & Can).

And I totally understand why people are more frustrated with Hendo because he is the hub of the team. When have we ever seen a game where Hendo needed to be stopped because he was dictating and causing all sorts of havoc? But in all fairness to Hendo, that really isn't his game.

Exactly what I was trying to say a few posts above. Great when we are pressing a team who have a go at us.

But when we are playing someone where the onus is on us to attack he is nowhere near good enough.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #405: Apr 28, 2018 03:59:11 pm
      I agree...virtually. I think Gomez could do playing at CB but that’s it, not as a back 3 though and not at RB.

That said, I’d put Clyne in that list too, thought he was terrible, not rated him for a long time now.

I agree with you on Gomez but actually I'd use Clyne as our back up Left Back behind Robertson, with Gomez and Trent competing on the other side. Nonetheless it is a problem that we lack quality in depth of the squad. It needs addressing this Summer.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #406: Apr 28, 2018 04:08:59 pm
      Exactly what I was trying to say a few posts above. Great when we are pressing a team who have a go at us.

But when we are playing someone where the onus is on us to attack he is nowhere near good enough.

Sorry, I missed that post :(

Anyway, this is why we need to get Jorginho :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #407: Apr 28, 2018 04:11:38 pm

Great post.

Probably a big reason for the number of draws we've had at Anfield. Keita will be a fascinating inclusion next season to see how/if he changes that.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #408: Apr 28, 2018 04:14:09 pm
      See that trent has a dead leg and hendo and joe have ankle injuries that need to be assessed

Was afraid of that. Trent being in or not makes a huge difference to this team. I guess if we set up to defend, Clyne is adequate. But we are not at our best when we set up to defend.

Henderson wasn't great today but I'm sure this injury is part of it, and he has done pretty well on some of our Euro nights. Keeping in mind we have no other fit first team midfield player...makes for a big selection headache if he can't go. Klavan at defensive midfielder, anybody?

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #409: Apr 28, 2018 04:14:15 pm
      Sorry, I missed that post :(

Anyway, this is why we need to get Jorginho :D

Haha fingers crossed mate, I think Henderson would be a good back up option from the bench.

Just sadly not good to be relied upon long term. We could have done with someone like the ox today who would at least try to drive forward and create something.

All of these floated passes from deep against low block teams just wastes far too much of the ball and very rarely creates any meaningful chances.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #410: Apr 28, 2018 04:15:34 pm
      Its a hard situatiom we find ourselves in in all honesty.

Personally i think we are 2nd or 3rd best in the league but we're finding the balance between CL and League hard to juggle.

With every team theres a gap in quality from first team players to squad players but i'd say it's us and Spurs who have biggest gap from their first team forwards to second string forwards.

The midfield depth of ours is quite a strength really and the injury crisis there is a bit of a freak but from Salah Mane and Firmino to Ings and Solanke is too poor in my opinion.

Got to get more depth in that area in the Summer. Can see Ings and Sturridge being sold and Origi coming back into the fold and another player bought.
      « Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018 04:19:45 pm by fields of anny rd »
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #411: Apr 28, 2018 04:19:03 pm

Let’s not forget that Hendo replaced, arguably, one of the greatest captains in Liverpool history. The day he put that armband on, he is had some very big shoes to fill. Not an easy job at all, And we sometimes expect him, since wearing that arm band, to perform like his pride test and we sometimes expect him, since wearing that arm band, to perform like Stevie G.  Hendo, will never be a Stevie G,  so, I just feel that, giving the captains armband, too VVD, would be both beneficial to Hendo and the team moving forward, just my wild thoughts. I’m just a fan
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #412: Apr 28, 2018 04:21:50 pm
      Too many players out on loan too?? Is that hurting us right now, Especially with the midfield situation
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #413: Apr 28, 2018 04:27:00 pm
      Right... if Chelsea beat us and we win against Brighton, our goal difference could see us through?

Quick Reply