Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22438 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #115: May 04, 2018 03:33:38 pm
      Didn't he have Rangers' posters on his wall, as a boy, when Celtic came calling?

Fairy muff then!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #116: May 04, 2018 03:38:45 pm
      Vaguely remember when I was a kid there used to be some kind of association on Merseyside as Everton being the Catholic club and Liverpool the proddy club.  And Everton had Celtic half and half scarves and there were Liverpool Rangers scarves.

Anyway, if that was ever the case it certainly isn't now.   Apart from vague recollections as a kid I've never heard anyone mention it as important since.

Was aware that plenty of Rangers fans referred to Gerrard as slippy G and all that kind of thing and as a sweeping statement I'd probably say they don't deserve him.

Gut feeling is he on a hiding to nothing.  Some people saying he'll do okay because nobody's expecting him to compete seriously with Celtic but their fans won't think that.  Look at Everton fans last summer when they held the Merseyside transfer record for about 5 days.  Totally lost touch with reality.

Add to that the fact they aren't 50 points behind Celtic.  They're 13 points.  There is exceptionally little margin for errors or slow starts - their team is already winning 60+% of their games so he's going to have to do better than that from day 0.

Not really massively bothered either way who wins up there in that league, I've got no family connections and I consider it a bit of a joke league.  Not convinced that every team in that league would do well in our League Two.

On that basis I wish him all the best.  All I know is that three of our most successful managers, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish didn't need a warm up act and 'big success at Rangers' Graeme Souness contributed to our decline.

I have heard that Celtic/Everton & Rangers/Liverpool motif described  from days of old as well - and of course as you say - nothing like that now.  It is tragically sad how poisonous the rivalry there has become, and one effect of that is both sides spin a lot of energy into conjuring the idea that only the other is guilty. It's similar to American politics for me, where both sides take this moral superiority viewpoint and are happy to wish all sorts of evii on the other, but cry bloody murder when they see it as being done to them. It's hard for peace-loving people to stand up to the angry, hating, self-righteous voices.

Wishing Stevie the best. Reaction to his appointment there is an eye-opener to me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #117: May 04, 2018 03:41:43 pm
      Think theres a rangers/chelsea link not sure about a rangers/liverpool one though.

Always preferred Celtic of the two clubs and probably still do.

Probably find a bit more class to the rivalry now with Stevie and Brendan being in charge and who both fully respect each other.

Good luck to him anyway. Nobody can accuse him of shirking a challenge with this one.

Rodgers holds all the cards here, but Gerrard has played under some top managers and some not ao great ones.

I'm at least interested to see what his brand of football will look like. If its possible to stamp an identity on the current Rangers team that is.

He will need to almost totally overhaul the playing staff there. I can't speak to their younger players, but as far as established first team members, they are light years behind Celtic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #118: May 04, 2018 03:50:07 pm
      He will need to almost totally overhaul the playing staff there. I can't speak to their younger players, but as far as established first team members, they are light years behind Celtic.

Painfully true. They still have Kenny Miller on their books as their 'star striker'. To put that into context, Miller was a F***ing joke of a player when he played for Derby when they got relegated from the Premier League with the lowest points total and a solitary win throughout the whole 38 game league season. What makes that even more tragic was that was 10 years ago. That's how bad Rangers' playing staff is.

If Miller was a race horse he'd have been shot years ago!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #119: May 04, 2018 03:54:15 pm
      Painfully true. They still have Kenny Miller on their books as their 'star striker'. To put that into context, Miller was a f**king joke of a player when he played for Derby when they got relegated from the Premier League with the lowest points total and a solitary win throughout the whole 38 game league season. What makes that even more tragic was that was 10 years ago. That's how bad Rangers' playing staff is.

If Miller was a race horse he'd have been shot years ago!

He played in America three or four seasons ago and scored I think one goal for the season. Yet he apparently has been instrumental in changing room turmoil for two previous managers.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #120: May 04, 2018 04:17:09 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #121: May 04, 2018 04:46:19 pm
      Quote from JD
      Vaguely remember there used to be some kind of association on Merseyside as Everton being the Catholic club and Liverpool the proddy club.  And Everton had Celtic half and half scarves and there were Liverpool Rangers scarves.

Anyway, if that was ever the case it certainly isn't now.   Apart from vague recollections I've never heard anyone mention it as important since.

I have heard it crop up from time to time, and said as recently as the last two weeks. It's a load of bull, but the nutjobs on both sides still believe in that rubbish.

If anything, it's the opposite today. We could hop over to Lansdowne Road tomorrow and sell it out, twice or thrice over, as our fanbase there is enormous. Everton wouldn't even sell out the old Windsor Park.

Quote from Harrisimo
      But isn't that a tad insulting to Gerrard. He has said talks have been positive. I'm sure he is well aware of the task in hand. He won't be sacked by Christmas. You seem to have a low opinion of his judgement. I mean it's not without problems but it's hardly desperation. He might decide not to take it but he's definitely not desperate.

Job has the added extra in that he will get European experience. Take a lot of bottle to go into the Glasgow cauldron, the old firm games etc. The thought of losing to a lower league team is hardly going to prevent him from taking the job.

Maybe not, but it will prevent him from keeping it.

That club goes through at least 2 managers a year. Apart from beating Celtic, they don't know what they want. They went for a left field candidate from Qatar. That didn't work. Then they went for someone "who knows Scottish football". That didn't work. Then they went for promotion from within. That didn't work. Now they've gone for someone with no experience. That won't  work either. That's not insulting, that's realistic.

Once they can't live with Celtic, they've no patience as a fanbase and they don't want to know. Honestly, I can't see him staying there any length of time, and he'll be back here soon enough.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #122: May 04, 2018 04:46:30 pm
      Think theres a rangers/chelsea link not sure about a rangers/liverpool one though.

Always preferred Celtic of the two clubs and probably still do.

Probably find a bit more class to the rivalry now with Stevie and Brendan being in charge and who both fully respect each other.

Good luck to him anyway. Nobody can accuse him of shirking a challenge with this one.

Rodgers holds all the cards here, but Gerrard has played under some top managers and some not ao great ones.

I'm at least interested to see what his brand of football will look like. If its possible to stamp an identity on the current Rangers team that is.
      There is certainly a historical link between the two however it has probably become a lot more tenuous in modern times.

Was John Houlding not connected to Rangers in some way?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #123: May 04, 2018 04:48:50 pm

I'm a Red.

My mother's family is from Ayrshire so when I "discovered" the world of football in the 80s i was first exposed to Rangers. Over the next 10 years I became more interested in  England and fell in love with Liverpool after visiting Anfield in the late 90s. But I've been to Scotland about a dozen times and love the country. I continued to follow Gers but over time all the sectarianism of the Old Firm rivalry has worn thin on me, so it's more distant of an interest.
      I just don't like the generalising and marginalising many from both sets of supporters tend to do.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2018 06:12:09 pm by Robby The Z »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #124: May 04, 2018 05:29:54 pm
      Remember the old rangers/celtic chant on the kop ? Seems years ago now.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,257 posts | 1390 
      Reply #125: May 04, 2018 06:13:14 pm
      Celtic nicked our anthem YNWA....bleedin' cheek...now Rangers have nicked our future manager and regular hero...

No doubt Gerrard will be back to pick off loan deals and BOGOF....deals...Ings could be a target for him but I hope he doesn't come back to us looking for players because I always think when a manager goes back to his old club it shows he doesn't really know the market. To be fair to Gerrard it's his first go so he can come knocking on our door.

Rogers raided Swansea and some were a bit dodgy. Still best of luck to Gerrard...4 year contract...4/11 he doesn't stay the full 4 years.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #126: May 04, 2018 06:38:36 pm
      Good Luck Stevie.

He could have stayed in the comfort zone if he had wanted to but he took up the challenge.

There was a bit of history between him a Rodgers regarding tactics and of course the subbing in the Real Madrid match.

There is enough there to want to give him an edge.

BR hasn't got his goldfish bowl to his egotistical self anymore. There is a piranha in the tank.

Rodgers will end up 2nd best of 12 . 

Moo Ha Ha.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #127: May 04, 2018 06:39:03 pm
      Isn't Skrtel supposed to be his main target?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #128: May 04, 2018 06:55:50 pm
      I guess we can change the name of the thread from "linked"  to "appointed" :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #129: May 04, 2018 07:18:05 pm
      History from way back dictates Celtic followed by Catholics and Rangers Protestants seems a bit silly now but that's how it was.
      The Celtic ,Rangers L...I...V...E...R...P... O...O...L  chants must be over 30 years old now.
      They had some really great sides in the past with some very good English players going there under Walter Smith.
      Its an opportunity for Stevie to see how it feels to deal with a high pressure job in a sh*te league.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #130: May 04, 2018 07:52:28 pm
      Can't wish Stevie anything other than all the luck in the world as he will need it, Rangers are miles behind Celtic and no way they have the spending power to close that gap.

He will doubt attract players like Skrtel who will do a job in the Scottisl League, also have a pick of the best academy players from LFC.

Worse case scenario it will be a learning curve for him to make his mistakes early in his career and he can learn and improve.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #131: May 04, 2018 08:08:48 pm
      Hope he does well there but honestly don’t see how he can.

Where is the quality going to come from? What self respecting player is honestly going to move to Rangers?

Am interested in seeing his style of play though and if anyone like Kenny Miller tries to cause him trouble then Stevie won’t suffer fools and will have him out the door.

He’s a big personality is Stevie and if it doesn’t work out, it won’t be for lack of trying.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #132: May 04, 2018 08:39:29 pm
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #133: May 04, 2018 10:17:21 pm
      Good luck Stevie G.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #134: May 05, 2018 12:28:21 am
      https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/sectarian-chants-ibrox-steven-gerrard-159085?__twitter_impression=true

These are the fans Stevie said are the main reason he took the Job! Sure he was just saying what the fans want to hear, but when they're greeting him by singing about being "up to their knees in fenian (Catholic) blood, it must turn his stomach a little! 😕
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2018 12:38:56 am by ORCHARD RED »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #135: May 05, 2018 12:33:18 am
      https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/football/sectarian-chants-ibrox-steven-gerrard-159085?__twitter_impression=true These are the fans Stevie said are the main reason he took the Job! Sure he was just saying what the fans want to hear, but when they're greeting him by singing about being "up to their knees in fenian (Catholic) blood, it must turn his stomach a little! 😕

How sad and pathetic. Is there any time or place where they will resist spreading out such horrible chants?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #136: May 05, 2018 12:38:23 am
      How sad and pathetic. Is there any time or place where they will resist spreading out such horrible chants?

It is sad, but it's part and of parcel the old firm! I don't ever see it changing unfortunately.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #137: May 05, 2018 12:42:46 am
      Personally I think  we should loan Rangers a bunch of players. Woodburn, Ings, Solanke, Grujic, Origi... Etc... All of them would help Gerrard at Rangers and we need upgrades. Mutually beneficial. Gerrard has done a lot for Liverpool and I think we should be helping him be a success.

Quick Reply