Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22373 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #138: May 05, 2018 12:49:39 am
      Personally I think  we should loan Rangers a bunch of players. Woodburn, Ings, Solanke, Grujic, Origi... Etc... All of them would help Gerrard at Rangers and we need upgrades. Mutually beneficial. Gerrard has done a lot for Liverpool and I think we should be helping him be a success.

We should help LFC first so not sure about some of our top talent like Woodburn being loaned out, but agree with the general sentiment..
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #139: May 05, 2018 04:14:26 am
      Personally I think  we should loan Rangers a bunch of players. Woodburn, Ings, Solanke, Grujic, Origi... Etc... All of them would help Gerrard at Rangers and we need upgrades. Mutually beneficial. Gerrard has done a lot for Liverpool and I think we should be helping him be a success.

I think that league's too sh*t for any of our players that are anywhere near our first team. I could see Stevie bringing in a couple of players that he's worked with in the U18's that'd be moving up to our reserves if anything.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)
      Reply #140: May 05, 2018 10:01:25 am
      It is sad, but it's part and of parcel the old firm! I don't ever see it changing unfortunately.

I think thatā€™s the popular misconception - itā€™s part of Rangers, not the Old Firm.

My family were Celtic fans - largely because of our Irish roots.

My father was an presbyterian elder so it was contra to the standard assumption. That was the 70s/80s.

My kids go to a non denominational school (ie non-faith) where there are more Celtic fans than Rangers ones.

Letā€™s be very clear - if weā€™re having a discussion about this - one club is definitely welcoming to all. One is not.

There undoubtedly are extremists on both sides - but I hate and resent the falsehood thatā€™s peddled that the balance of the ā€œhateā€ belongs to ā€œthe old firmā€.

It does not - it is the property of RFC.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2018 10:19:45 am by Scotia »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #141: May 05, 2018 10:26:27 am
      Seen this online:

Gerrard on Rangers:

"It's an honour to manage a club with such great history, all 6 years of it."
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #142: May 05, 2018 10:31:49 am
      Celtic nicked our anthem YNWA....bleedin' cheek...now Rangers have nicked our future manager and regular hero...

No doubt Gerrard will be back to pick off loan deals and BOGOF....deals...Ings could be a target for him but I hope he doesn't come back to us looking for players because I always think when a manager goes back to his old club it shows he doesn't really know the market. To be fair to Gerrard it's his first go so he can come knocking on our door.

Rogers raided Swansea and some were a bit dodgy. Still best of luck to Gerrard...4 year contract...4/11 he doesn't stay the full 4 years.

I seem to recall John Toshack coming back to Liverpool for some of his old team mates when he got the managers job at Swansea.They didn't do a bad job either.
      Kopite78
      Reply #143: May 05, 2018 10:32:28 am
      Be nice if you lot could put all your prejudice against Rangers behind you and just wish a Liverpool legend the best of luck.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #144: May 05, 2018 10:34:19 am
      Be nice if you lot could put all your prejudice against Rangers behind you and just wish a Liverpool legend the best of luck.
      before he took the job i said he should take it. Great opportunity for him. It's better being at rangers in SPL than a championship team or mid table PL team.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #145: May 05, 2018 10:51:50 am
      before he took the job i said he should take it. Great opportunity for him. It's better being at rangers in SPL than a championship team or mid table PL team.

I would say he'll have an easier job there than he would at a championship side. He won't win the SPL, but he'll win the majority of his games and might land a trophy. This is a stepping stone to a Premier league or Championship club, he'll get the experience he needs up there.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #146: May 05, 2018 10:55:15 am

No point loaning him our players unless were going to add to our already weak squad.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #147: May 05, 2018 10:55:51 am

Sorry mate but thatā€™s not right.

Prejudice is the basis of RFC.

As long as they keep indulging that element that stays the same.

Too many ignorant assumptions about the Old Firm and lumping them together on here.

Stevie will always be a hero to me but this isnā€™t a football club heā€™s taken over at - itā€™s an organisation whose very existence is based on negativity and hate.

Iā€™ve good mates who are Rangers fans and acknowledge the truth in that.

I hope HE learns the ropes and gets what HE needs from the move but thatā€™s all.

If youā€™ve grown up in this - as I have - you appreciate the difference.

To put a political slant on it - I wouldnā€™t support UKIP because  Sturgeon or Salmond took over as leader and yet Iā€™m passionate about independence.

I abhor bigotry. That is incongruent with wishing RFC well no matter how great the guy at the helm is.

Probably best I leave this thread at that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #148: May 05, 2018 10:58:56 am
      Sorry mate but thatā€™s not right.

Prejudice is the basis of RFC.

As long as they keep indulging that element that stays the same.

Too many ignorant assumptions about the Old Firm and lumping them together on here.

Stevie will always be a hero to me but this isnā€™t a football club heā€™s taken over at - itā€™s an organisation whose very existence is based on negativity and hate.

Iā€™ve good mates who are Rangers fans and acknowledge the truth in that.

I hope HE learns the ropes and gets what HE needs from the move but thatā€™s all.

If youā€™ve grown up in this - as I have - you appreciate the difference.

To put a political slant on it - I wouldnā€™t support UKIP because  Sturgeon or Salmond took ovrrvas leader and yet Iā€™m passionate about independence.

I abhor bigotry. That is incongruent with wishing RFC well no matter how great the guy at the helm is.

Probably best I leave this thread at that.

Both as bad as one another in my book, rangers get a worse press because their bigotry is more overt but celtic are in their own way just as bad but appear to have a lot more friends in the media
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      Reply #149: May 05, 2018 11:00:06 am
      I would say he'll have an easier job there than he would at a championship side. He won't win the SPL, but he'll win the majority of his games and might land a trophy. This is a stepping stone to a Premier league or Championship club, he'll get the experience he needs up there.

Second isn't seen as good enough, too many fans don't understand that they need to play catch up
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #150: May 05, 2018 11:02:21 am
      Second isn't seen as good enough, too many fans don't understand that they need to play catch up

He'll need a miracle mate, Celtic have the team and the money in Scotland. Stevie will need to do a Klopp (finding the right players relatively cheaply) up there to catch Celtic.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #151: May 05, 2018 11:12:05 am
      Both as bad as one another in my book, rangers get a worse press because their bigotry is more overt but celtic are in their own way just as bad but appear to have a lot more friends in the media

Thatā€™s the thing though - once you understand it they arenā€™t interchangeable......... but you know what (he says breathing deeply and realising it all matters not a F**k!) Iā€™m not gonna argue with fellow reds about Rangers or Celtic.........neither of ā€˜em matter enough to me ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      Reply #152: May 05, 2018 11:31:03 am
      Thatā€™s the thing though - once you understand it they arenā€™t interchangeable......... but you know what (he says breathing deeply and realising it all matters not a f**k!) Iā€™m not gonna argue with fellow reds about Rangers or Celtic.........neither of ā€˜em matter enough to me ;)

Don't really want to argue about it either, i will only add is that from a considerable distance away is that the biggest problem with too many people connected with the old firm is the reluctance to accept there is any problem , so it will never change
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #153: May 05, 2018 12:07:35 pm
      Quote from Scotia
      I think thatā€™s the popular misconception - itā€™s part of Rangers, not the Old Firm.

My family were Celtic fans - largely because of our Irish roots.

Letā€™s be very clear - if weā€™re having a discussion about this - one club is definitely welcoming to all. One is not.

There undoubtedly are extremists on both sides - but I hate and resent the falsehood thatā€™s peddled that the balance of the ā€œhateā€ belongs to ā€œthe old firmā€.

Souness took the brave step of signing  the first Catholic to play for Rangers, who used to play for Celtic. Big deal. Which in Glasgow it was at the time. Johnston's home was later destroyed.

But he was the pioneer, and eventually their fans got used to it. Now anyone can play for Rangers, even Catholics from Ireland and further afield, ex-Celtic players, and nobody bats an eyelid. You know things had changed when an Italian Catholic would go on to captain them to success. But the extremists still believe in the traditional vitriol, and they want to ruin the experience for everyone else.

A good job for Gerrard, would be one where he has time and money to do the job. He won't get that at Rangers, and consequently he will be out on his ear soon enough.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      Reply #154: May 05, 2018 12:13:51 pm
      Souness took the brave step of signing  the first Catholic to play for Rangers, who used to play for Celtic. Big deal. Which in Glasgow it was at the time. Johnston's home was later destroyed.

But he was the pioneer, and eventually their fans got used to it. Now anyone can play for Rangers, even Catholics from Ireland and further afield, ex-Celtic players, and nobody bats an eyelid. You know things had changed when an Italian Catholic would go on to captain them to success. But the extremists still believe in the traditional vitriol, and they want to ruin the experience for everyone else.

A good job for Gerrard, would be one where he has time and money to do the job. He won't get that at Rangers, and consequently he will be out on his ear soon enough.

It's amazing how it goes out the window with a bit of silverware
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #155: May 05, 2018 01:17:14 pm
      if you can be arsed you will find some stuff from both Celtic and Rangers that is pretty near or even past the knuckle.
      I will be hoping Stevie does exceptionally well and does his four years of winning the League and the Cups plus some heroic CL campaigns just in time to replace JĆ¼rgen after he retires having won 3 league titles on the bounce and 2 more CL's. ah hell make it 4 league titles and 3 CL's on the bounce.
      One thing about Scottish football I often think of now. Remember all those wonderful little Scotsmen who were such elegant football players but never made it because they got the legs taken out from under them every game and were declared too small for the game in England...well how good would they be in todays game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #156: May 05, 2018 01:45:47 pm
      He'll need a miracle mate, Celtic have the team and the money in Scotland. Stevie will need to do a Klopp (finding the right players relatively cheaply) up there to catch Celtic.
      Celtic aren't that good. They only look good in the SPL. They can't even get noticed in Europe. Got thrashed before group stages. It's going to take Championship quality to knock Celtic off their perch. The way people go on, you would think Celtic are sparring with Europe elites
      Kopite78
      Reply #157: May 05, 2018 01:55:58 pm
      ) Iā€™m not gonna argue with fellow reds about Rangers or Celtic.........neither of ā€˜em matter enough to me ;)

No point to

All I know is Steven George Gerrard.. Liverpool legend.. my captain is now manager of Rangers..

So by that I hope they win the lot up there.. not for that club or their fans.. for him

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #158: May 05, 2018 02:46:21 pm
      No point to

All I know is Steven George Gerrard.. Liverpool legend.. my captain is now manager of Rangers..

So by that I hope they win the lot up there.. not for that club or their fans.. for him
      Same
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #159: May 05, 2018 02:50:56 pm
      Made up for Stevie, wish him all the best in his new position and hope he gets all the success his hard work and devotion to the game should merit.

Rangers are a massive Club, this is a massive job but guess what? Stevie knows this and he is willing to take it on. This is Steven Gerrard, he is a leader of men, he has all the characteristics required to succeed. Players will want to play under Stevie, he commands respect, he has been there and done it (as a player), who's to say he can't do it as a manager also? Stevie is massively respected by everyone in football. Are we not forgetting that Brendan Rodgers was asking Stevie to tap players up for him via text messages?

Gerrard has serious F***ing clout, some mother F***ing gargantuan clout. Stevie will have access to players at Liverpool too, i can't think of a better League to harden youngsters than Scotland. It may not be a quality league but it is a harsh environment and a very physically demanding League. I think it's a ideal environment to blood our youth and prospects.

Think of it this way, if you were going to war would you go with Gerrard or Rodgers?

Whether he'll have the backing he has been promised will materialise sooner or later but for now let's get behind him.

As for the hatred among Rangers and Celtic supporters, that will always be there, that will never change. Tribalism exists in all aspects of life, not just in football. Stevie will thrive in this type of environment, he will love it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #160: May 05, 2018 02:51:07 pm
      No point to

Fair doā€™s - I understand that.

Quick Reply