Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Roma?

Loris Karius
      5 (3.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3%)
      James Milner
      11 (8.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      11 (8.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      72 (53.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (13.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.7%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: May 06, 2018 09:37:24 pm

AS Roma 4-2 Liverpool: (LFC Win 7-6 agg) In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34774 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: AS Roma 4-2 Liverpool: (LFC Win 7-6 agg) In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: May 03, 2018 01:26:09 pm
      Absolutely fantastic, so so happy and i won £11.00 on Gini scoring as well!!

Great atmosphere at Anfield for the game.  What a crazy game it was, we do not know how to do things the easy way do we??

Now for Kiev  no pressure on the lads just go and play football and bring home number 6

Lend us a tenner.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #714: May 03, 2018 01:49:39 pm
      still basking in the glow of such a wonderful achievement. Jürgen seemed absolutely overjoyed .
      If we can just beat Chelsea on Sunday it will have been the perfect week.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #715: May 03, 2018 02:05:24 pm

Good man, time for you to head to pound land or the reduced section in Tesco or Asda!!!

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #716: May 03, 2018 02:11:26 pm
      Would be something to have him available for the final.

Look at the game last night the last 20mins cried out for a midfielder with the ability to hold onto the ball.

Henderson for all his industry was particularly poor in his distribution from the base of the midfield.

Jürgen has already said Adam is a no-go for Chelsea, possible for Brighton and definitely for the final, so getting him 45mins or so against Brighton would be fantastic.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #717: May 03, 2018 02:12:44 pm
      Yet it was us who managed to score from 2 corners over the 2 games (as well as Lovren hit the bar?), the first especially seeing as Bobby is far from a giant. Just goes to show that height isn’t everything.

In fact the only aerial goal they got came courtesy of Milners face didn’t it?

Agree, plus VVD is very strong aerially and Lovren is underrated in that area as well. Also Karius coming out and catching crosses the way he did in the 1st half is massive.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #718: May 03, 2018 02:18:48 pm

I'd actually put a fiver on Roma to qualify as an insurance bet to help drown my sorrows so I'm a loser but also a winner.

Also had a couple of quid on us winning 6-2 and for a brief period thought that was on!
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #719: May 03, 2018 02:23:16 pm
      last night after kids went to bed i put on the replay. Was just so excited only watching the highlights wasn't going to be enough. Few observations:

* The score was a lot kinder to Roma than it should have been. Of the 6 they scored, 1 was an OG and 2 were terrible PK calls.
      * Nainggolan's shot for Roma's 3rd goal was world class. To one-time the ball across your body and shoot it hard, on the ground, against the post and into the net is fantastic.
      * 1st half was great and should have been 3-1 if not for that push against Mane that amazingly was not called. Put a hockey stick in the Roma's players hands and it's a clear cross check. How can a ref miss that.
      * 2nd half, with nothing to lose and all to gain, Roma took it to us but we held strong. The last-second PK call was a consolation prize from the ref that made the game look a lot closer than it was.
      * Generally i've felt that the final being 20+ days after the semi-final is too long but given the injuries we have and that our players are running on fumes i am happier than ever about the scheduling. Those 2 weeks after Brighton to recover, rest and prepare will be huge.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #720: May 03, 2018 02:26:49 pm
      last night after kids went to bed i put on the replay. Was just so excited only watching the highlights wasn't going to be enough. Few observations:

* The score was a lot kinder to Roma than it should have been. Of the 6 they scored, 1 was an OG and 2 were terrible PK calls.
      * Nainggolan's shot for Roma's 3rd goal was world class. To one-time the ball across your body and shoot it hard, on the ground, against the post and into the net is fantastic.
      * 1st half was great and should have been 3-1 if not for that push against Mane that amazingly was not called. Put a hockey stick in the Roma's players hands and it's a clear cross check. How can a ref miss that.
      * 2nd half, with nothing to lose and all to gain, Roma took it to us but we held strong. The last-second PK call was a consolation prize from the ref that made the game look a lot closer than it was.
      * Generally i've felt that the final being 20+ days after the semi-final is too long but given the injuries we have and that our players are running on fumes i am happier than ever about the scheduling. Those 2 weeks after Brighton to recover, rest and prepare will be huge.

Great analysis that pal.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #721: May 03, 2018 02:30:30 pm
      See UTD fans desperately seeking Ronaldo's help now to stop us, they really are a bunch of low life scum.
      Keep seeing pictures of Jürgen looking euphoric its just wonderful

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #722: May 03, 2018 03:01:12 pm
      Some mad posts since the whistle.

We are in the EUROPEAN CUP FINAL for the 7th time.

I'm not going to go through the 94 minutes in detail because it doesn't matter. It wasn't the best performance, everyone knows what the issues are and where they are. But we're there, so if you are still determined to be a thunderstorm in a heatwave, where we need to improve, how many unacceptable errors were made, who we should play, who we should let go, how much we should spend, etc etc, again, do it at a more appropriate time, such as all June and July. Plenty of time for it then. In the meantime, we have a final to win and a top 4 spot to secure, and everyone should be on the same page getting behind those players, whether they're world class or squad class.

It's a fabulous achievement. Having to go to mancland and Rome, to defend advantages on their patches, with no Anfield crowd, multiple injuries, not much of a bench to speak of, the coach questioned, our fans fleeced, threatened, humiliated, injured, and one of our brothers put in hospital. That should all be respected and recognised.

Real and Liverpool, are wonderful classy clubs, who will both go to Kiev and put on a great show of colour and noise without a hint of bother, while the oligarchs the backstabbers the sheikhs and the sterlings, to name a select few, wonder why our players are receiving European Cup medals for our historic campaign and all they're receiving on the day, is a deck chair for the beach and a post it note stating "try again next year".

Credit to our fans who again represented the club with distinction out there, and credit on the lads after the game too, sparing a moment for Sean in the midst of the celebrations, with the simplest message of all, written in English and Irish. He may be the last to find out we made it, but let's complete the job above all, for him.

So the adventure continues, and for now at least, it's time to party like it's 77 and 84 again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #723: May 03, 2018 03:08:59 pm
      Some mad posts since the whistle.

We are in the EUROPEAN CUP FINAL for the 7th time.

I'm not going to go through the 94 minutes in detail because it doesn't matter. It wasn't the best performance, everyone knows what the issues are and where they are. But we're there, so if you are still determined to be a thunderstorm in a heatwave, where we need to improve, how many unacceptable errors were made, who we should play, who we should let go, how much we should spend, etc etc, again, do it at a more appropriate time, such as all June and July. Plenty of time for it then. In the meantime, we have a final to win and a top 4 spot to secure, and everyone should be on the same page getting behind those players, whether they're world class or squad class.

It's a fabulous achievement. Having to go to mancland and Rome, to defend advantages on their patches, with no Anfield crowd, multiple injuries, not much of a bench to speak of, the coach questioned, our fans fleeced, threatened, humiliated, injured, and one of our brothers put in hospital. That should all be respected and recognised.

Real and Liverpool, are wonderful classy clubs, who will both go to Kiev and put on a great show of colour and noise without a hint of bother, while the oligarchs the backstabbers the sheikhs and the sterlings, to name a select few, wonder why our players are receiving European Cup medals for our historic campaign and all they're receiving on the day, is a deck chair for the beach and a post it note stating "try again next year".

Credit to our fans who again represented the club with distinction out there, and credit on the lads after the game too, sparing a moment for Sean in the midst of the celebrations, with the simplest message of all, written in English and Irish. He may be the last to find out we made it, but let's complete the job above all, for him.

So the adventure continues, and for now at least, it's time to party like it's 77 and 84 again.

Eighth time no? Or do you just like to say to people that Rafa was the only Liverpool manager to lose a final?! ;)

No but seriously, I agree with you. It's fantastic to be there and I don't think people realise the circumstances and context in which last night's performance came in. It was a difficult place to go to and knowing that we only had to defend our lead we had to play a game that didn't necessarily come naturally to us. Oh and two of the goals were farcical - one a freak own goal and the other a ridiculous penalty decision.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #724: May 03, 2018 03:17:13 pm
      Karius had that late challenge on Dzeko, which really was a Penalty, in the box.
      \\
      only if VAR is going to be used to review EVERY close offside decision in a match, which would add about 30 minutes to the run time of every game. It was a very close offside rule that went against them. That's it.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #725: May 03, 2018 03:21:32 pm
      Relatively stress-free night with the scoreline making it look like it was tight.  Roma were never in serious contention in the tie once we went 5-0 up. 

Shout out to Andy Robertson, who I keep telling my son (23yo) is the best LB we've had since Alan Kennedy.  Hopefully Robbo can do to RM what Kennedy did the last time we met in the final.

We need to look at our late defending/substitutions though.  In 3 of our last 4 matches, we've conceded twice in the last 11 mins: -

WBA (a) 79 & 88mins
      Roma (h) 81 & 85 mins
      Roma (a) 86 & 90 mins

But WE'RE IN ANOTHER CL FINAL!!!!!!

On to Chelsea now; full strength and get the result (draw will be enough).

Real in the final will start as favourites, particularly with their Euro experience in recent years, but we were bigger underdogs in Istanbul (we had a weaker team in comparison to the opposition).
      We have to be wary of Marcelo on the left flank going forward, whipping and dinking balls to the far post, whilst being able to pick their pockets and exploit the space Marcelo leaves for Salah.

The scoreline in the final could literally be anything.  I'm going 4-3 to the Mighty Reds in normal time and ol' big ears coming back to where he belongs!

C'MMMOOOOONNNNN!!!

How about 1-0 with Robbo to score a late winner with a mazy run just like Kennedy did against them all those years ago?

Robbo scoring I can see. 1-0..????? Well, maybe he can score the opener in 4-3.  :D

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #726: May 03, 2018 03:27:40 pm
      How about 1-0 with Robbo to score a late winner with a mazy run just like Kennedy did against them all those years ago?

Robbo scoring I can see. 1-0..????? Well, maybe he can score the opener in 4-3:D

Much more likely!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #727: May 03, 2018 03:32:00 pm
      Jesus Christ! It's certainly a roller coaster of emotions watching Liverpool Football Club!!

Absolutely ecstatic with the result, fully expected the onslaught from Roma but i thought we dealt with it pretty well. To get to the final with this Squad has been nothing short of phenomenal and full respect to everyone at the Club for this achievement, including the supporters who have been nothing short of outstanding.

One more step to take and it is all in our hands now. I've wanted Madrid since the knockout stages began and here they are. This is going to be a barnstormer of a match, i can't see Madrid sitting off us, not their style.

Stylistically this is set up to be one of the greatest finals in the history of the European Cup.

And we are in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done all!!!!!!!

:scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: AS Roma 4-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #728: May 03, 2018 04:07:52 pm
      Have you heard  the saying

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Then why are you posting then...?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #729: May 03, 2018 04:11:17 pm
      Maybe it's because the only real option outside of throwing kids on in a CL Semi-Final is for us to bring on defenders.
      I believe Klavan came on for Mane?... What about Mane for Ings..? would have not handed the initiative to Roma
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #730: May 03, 2018 04:16:29 pm
      Shut up you big div :D

Still buzzing after last night, can’t actually believe how far Jürgen has taken us.
      Can't deny you the warm feeling  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #731: May 03, 2018 04:19:35 pm
      I believe Klavan came on for Mane?... What about Mane for Ings..? would have not handed the initiative to Roma

This bringing on an extra defender crap needs to stop immediately from Klopp, every single time he has tried it recently we have  conceded a goal almost immediately. It simply does not make any sense to f**k about with a defence which is under pressure in the final 10 minutes when they are already knackered. There was no need for any subs last night, how much difference does it make playing 85 minutes compared to 93?
      Klopp I love you to bits but please stop with this crap.

Having said all that what a great feeling, being in the final again, and we absolutely 100% deserve it, we have been the best team so far in the CL now lets please play a great final and not get nervous or intimidated. Full on attack from the first minute on the 26th, lets blow Real away.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #732: May 03, 2018 05:05:37 pm
      This bringing on an extra defender crap needs to stop immediately from Klopp, every single time he has tried it recently we have  conceded a goal almost immediately. It simply does not make any sense to f**k about with a defence which is under pressure in the final 10 minutes when they are already knackered. There was no need for any subs last night, how much difference does it make playing 85 minutes compared to 93?

Having said all that what a great feeling, being in the final again, and we absolutely 100% deserve it, we have been the best team so far in the CL now lets please play a great final and not get nervous or intimidated. Full on attack from the first minute on the 26th, lets blow Real away.

Admittedly it was not here, but in a previous forum Klopp would get criticized for bringing his subs in too late. Klopp can't win when the internet warriors just simply know better, huh.

When you have a 2-goal lead Klopp (any coach) has every right to take out a forward and put in an extra defender for the last few minutes of the game. A world-class strike from Nainggolan and a bullshit PK call does not change that fact. Salah has started 54 games this season (across all comps) compared to 33 last year and 38 the year before. Mane has started 45, compared to 31 last year and 33 the year before. In your game console that may not make a difference, but in reality those are a lot of minutes on those legs and Klopp realizes the job is not done and we need them ready to battle on Sunday and needs to get them every minute of rest he sensibly can.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #733: May 03, 2018 05:07:27 pm
      Anybody check in on Phil?, just want to make sure he's ok after last night ;D
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #734: May 03, 2018 05:11:02 pm
      It feels f***in' great to be in the finals, and rival fan's shitting at the thought of us being 6 time CL winners. As someone stated above that the mini- break between Brighton and Kiev could very well be the best thing for  us(considering the our injuries).

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #735: May 03, 2018 05:34:22 pm

You said it all mate

Quick Reply