Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Roma?

Loris Karius
      5 (3.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3%)
      James Milner
      11 (8.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      11 (8.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      72 (53.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (13.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.7%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: May 06, 2018 09:37:24 pm

AS Roma 4-2 Liverpool: (LFC Win 7-6 agg) In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35119 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: AS Roma 4-2 Liverpool: (LFC Win 7-6 agg) In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: May 03, 2018 10:10:49 pm
      enjoy this lads as it’s the best time we have had in 10 years

Is right, no matter what happens if you can't enjoy this run then whats the point in supporting the club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #760: May 03, 2018 10:12:09 pm
      Booked for 26th.........

Weekend in Liverpool - lying head down in Southport.

Let’s f***in av it then
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #761: May 03, 2018 10:13:38 pm
      So it’s the mighty Reds the sole English representative’s in Europe.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #762: May 03, 2018 10:21:46 pm
      Has the match finished yet, is it safe to come out from behind the sofa ?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #763: May 03, 2018 10:24:06 pm
      Has the match finished yet, is it safe to come out from behind the sofa ?

best wait until the 27th because the way we do things its going to be even more tense in the Final
      Mrgavin
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      • Hyyvshhxng
      Reply #764: May 03, 2018 10:25:47 pm
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #765: May 03, 2018 10:50:44 pm
      We need to prepare early against RM. Watched RM closely,  they are certainly beatable. Modric is the weak link. They move the ball very quickly with accuracy. If we could stifle them, we will be ok and they could try Roma part II, high crosses into our box. And lets not forget about penalty kicks.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #766: May 03, 2018 11:14:15 pm
      If we can keep Marcelo, Ronald, Modric out of the game, we have a very good chance of winning this... Modric pulls the string more than Kroos... Ronald is easy to frustrate, but Marcelo, very much like Chelsea's William... Robertson and TAA will have their hands full all night...

I would be very temped to go with some thing like this...

Karius
                                                            Clyne   Lovren         VVD   Robertson

Henderson
                                                                   TAA                           Moreno

Salah       Firmino            Mane

If only to counteract the speed the will have with the likes of Bale,Marcelo, Isco, and Ronaldo and give them something to think about... It also give both FB extra coverage

You questioned me with a retort about bringing in two defenders,
      and your solution is to start two defenders in midfield.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018 11:22:26 pm by racerx34 »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #767: May 04, 2018 02:37:20 am
      Hopefully more like Dirty 🕺 Dancing

Nobody makes Bobby take a corner.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #768: May 04, 2018 07:47:29 am
      Hopefully I'm a lucky charm again here.

I was on holiday for the 2005 final and we won.

I'm away again this time so I'm hoping history repeats itself.

COYR YNWA
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #769: May 04, 2018 07:49:10 am
      If we can keep Marcelo, Ronald, Modric out of the game, we have a very good chance of winning this... Modric pulls the string more than Kroos... Ronald is easy to frustrate, but Marcelo, very much like Chelsea's William... Robertson and TAA will have their hands full all night...

I would be very temped to go with some thing like this...

Karius
                                                            Clyne   Lovren         VVD   Robertson

Henderson
                                                                   TAA                           Moreno

Salah       Firmino            Mane

If only to counteract the speed the will have with the likes of Bale,Marcelo, Isco, and Ronaldo and give them something to think about... It also give both FB extra coverage

Karius at left back. Risky
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #770: May 04, 2018 08:07:06 am
      Anyone got video of goals from last night?

I was overslept, and when I turn the TV on, Dzeko made it 2-2.

Maybe I should have stayed in bed :(

I put a few videos in the video and audio thread mate.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #771: May 04, 2018 08:10:27 am
      Is right, no matter what happens if you can't enjoy this run then whats the point in supporting the club.

Exactly mate. Been drumming it into my 8 year old that no matter what happens now he has memories of this run and that me and him have a had a great time on the way. I don't want him being totally crushed if we don't do it but of course we will. Won't we?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #772: May 04, 2018 09:56:20 am
      Exactly mate. Been drumming it into my 8 year old that no matter what happens now he has memories of this run and that me and him have a had a great time on the way. I don't want him being totally crushed if we don't do it but of course we will. Won't we?

My 3 kids were born 08 onwards, Klopp has given them the opportunity to witness what Rafa did for us...

We will win, Madrid are in for a shock.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #773: May 04, 2018 11:53:05 am
      You questioned me with a retort about bringing in two defenders,
      and your solution is to start two defenders in midfield.

Very good point Racer, Although my point is more about the players you start a game with and then the players Klopp brings one to replace them...

i.e. If the starting 11 are putting a team under pressure you don't take players off that releases that pressure and puts your back line under pressure.

It looks like I am contradicting himself but how I am looking at this is having the ability to pin Real back and take pressure off of our back four while having the ability to brake fast in numbers and defender with speed and strength we need be ...

Most people here believe that TAA could make a better midfielder than RB, and a lot of people here have in the past advocated playing Moreno midfield so why not utilize that...

If everyone in the Real squad are fit, This is how they could line up against us...

Navas

Carvajal    Ramos     Varane     Marcelo 

Modric        Casemiro        Kroos

Isco                       Ronaldo
                                                                     Benzema

Now without the cover of Clyne at Right Back and TAA playing in front of him in Midfield I would worry about either Clyne or TAA playing right back with only Gini or Milner to snuff out the combination of Ronaldo and Marcelo down that side, same argument can be made for the LB/Midfield Left position though in a lesser fashion....

Certainly the pace that can be provided by Moreno can only help matters although there could be a case made for Milner instead of Moreno (Less likely to give away free kicks etc) But should the play Bale I would be more happier with Moreno and Robertson against him than Milner and Robertson...

The added advantage would be pinning their FB back in their own half

Henderson has to stop Modric
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #774: May 04, 2018 11:54:06 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #775: May 04, 2018 12:32:01 pm
      Very good point Racer, Although my point is more about the players you start a game with and then the players Klopp brings one to replace them...

i.e. If the starting 11 are putting a team under pressure you don't take players off that releases that pressure and puts your back line under pressure.

It looks like I am contradicting himself but how I am looking at this is having the ability to pin Real back and take pressure off of our back four while having the ability to brake fast in numbers and defender with speed and strength we need be ...

Most people here believe that TAA could make a better midfielder than RB, and a lot of people here have in the past advocated playing Moreno midfield so why not utilize that...

If everyone in the Real squad are fit, This is how they could line up against us...

Navas

Carvajal    Ramos     Varane     Marcelo 

Modric        Casemiro        Kroos

Isco                       Ronaldo
                                                                     Benzema

Now without the cover of Clyne at Right Back and TAA playing in front of him in Midfield I would worry about either Clyne or TAA playing right back with only Gini or Milner to snuff out the combination of Ronaldo and Marcelo down that side, same argument can be made for the LB/Midfield Left position though in a lesser fashion....

Certainly the pace that can be provided by Moreno can only help matters although there could be a case made for Milner instead of Moreno (Less likely to give away free kicks etc) But should the play Bale I would be more happier with Moreno and Robertson against him than Milner and Robertson...

The added advantage would be pinning their FB back in their own half

Henderson has to stop Modric

1. I don't want Moreno anywhere near the first team. I'd rather he spent the night sat on the bench.
          (Largely exposed v Sevilla the last time LFC reached a European Final)
      2. Lallana and Can are both due back before the last game of the PL season.
          Ideally they can be given a run out then & be on the bench for the CL Final.

Klopp has shown form in starting the strongest XI available, so I expect he'll start the same team as v Roma.
      I'd argue that LFC's best option it to use the same 4-3-3 and attack from the off.
      If Can & Lallana are back then they'd give far better options, which is what was missing for the 2nd leg v Roma.

Massively changing where players line up v Madrid would be the antithesis of all that has happened this season,
      and not a hope in hell would it be a good idea to drop Milner for Moreno.
      The guy is in the form of his life.

Obviously this all hinges on recovery and fitness of 2 players, but they are the only choice.
      Otherwise, start 4-3-3 with strongest players and switch to 3-5-2 if needed,
      which has been the approach lately. Not that I want to see the 3-5-2,
      as the loss of the front 3 puts too much pressure on a poor defense that clearly has some weaknesses
      that the likes of Ronaldo would expose if allowed to aerial bombard in the way Roma did.

WBA, Utd, Roma. All exploited the same weakness.
      Madrid has the capacity to do likewise.
      Only counter is to push them back into their half and get supply to front 3.
      « Last Edit: May 04, 2018 12:36:54 pm by racerx34 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #776: May 04, 2018 12:43:44 pm
      1. I don't want Moreno anywhere near the first team. I'd rather he spent the night sat on the bench.

Klopp has shown form in starting the strongest XI available, so I expect he'll start the same team as v Roma.
      I'd argue that LFC's best option it to use the same 4-3-3 and attack from the off.
      If Can & Lallana are back then they'd give far better options, which is what was missing for the 2nd leg v Roma.

Massively changing where players line up v Madrid would be the antithesis of all that has happened this season,

Obviously this all hinges on recovery and fitness of 2 players, but they are the only choice.
      as the loss of the front 3 puts too much pressure on a poor defense that clearly has some weaknesses
      that the likes of Ronaldo would expose if allowed to aerial bombard in the way Roma did.

I agree with this, stick with 4-3-3 even in the last 10 minutes Jürgen please, no more of this thrusting Klavan into the fray and F***ing up the balance of the defence. Unless there is a major injury or a player is completely knackered or playing utter crap leave them on!

The only way we win against Real is by scoring more than we concede because they will score against us, you can just 100% guarantee that but then equally you can guarantee that we'll score against them.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #777: May 04, 2018 01:07:31 pm
      We could see there were some glaring mistakes made in this match, strangely, I've been very calm and not flaming any of the players. Let's be fair loosing Buvac on the eve of the match is not something that is desirable and it has probably affected some of the players, but it happened and we move on and the lads came though with flying colors. I;ve got the hunch the finals may go all the way to penalty kicks and I hope Karius start some serious training in blocking penalty kicks and study the behavior of RM penalty takers.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #778: May 04, 2018 01:14:12 pm

Mate you make some good points, and although I do not agree with them all I respect them
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #779: May 04, 2018 01:25:00 pm

Yep, no point switching formations or players.

Just play the same team that has destroyed everyone put in front of them.

Real haven't played anyone who plays like us so they could be in for a pretty big surprise.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #780: May 04, 2018 04:30:58 pm
      I think the result was brilliant.  Over the two legs we were far better than them and there was clear daylight between the two teams if it wasn't for bad refereeing it would have been crystal clear.   But I think Real are a good team they have exceptional players and if I would want to send them one message that is attack our defence.  If they come out attacking we are favourites, our strike force is lethal and the most in form in Europe.   I don't want them to be cautious but to come and try attack our defence.   If they are cautious then they will get slaughtered for not having a go at them.   I think in getting this unlucky result we have done enough to convince them to use a very attacking game plan which will work into our advantage.   
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,194 posts | 6348 
      Reply #781: May 04, 2018 04:57:30 pm
      The ramblings of Roma's owner make the victory even sweeter. What a bell end.

Quick Reply