Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre-Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (Champions League) Sat 26 May 2018 19:45 BST

Read 58827 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Pre-Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (Champions League) Sat 26 May 2018 19:45 BST
      Reply #552: May 26, 2018 01:52:56 pm
      Day is dragging
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Re: Pre-Match: Real Madrid v Liverpool (Champions League) Sat 26 May 2018 19:45 BST
      Reply #553: May 26, 2018 02:00:30 pm
      Tell me any it Bri, every time I look at the clock it feels like an hour's gone and it's only been fifteen minutes. I wanna have a bevvy but it's too f**king early.

Its horrible. If i go the pub now ill be smashed for the game but im afraid if i leave it too late itll be packed snd I wont see it properly. The good thing is my panic about ehere to watch it and when to go out is distracting me a bit from the game.

Great to be involved again.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #554: May 26, 2018 02:34:50 pm
      Woke up at 5:15 a.m. and immediately thought "It's Today!"

I wanted to get back to sleep because it's still too long before kickoff, but once I started thinking about it, no chance.

I see the Spanish-language station is showing the first leg of the Roma semifinal this morning so I guess that will occupy some of the time. I should go on a four-mile walk or something...

Today is my birthday. I only want one thing for my birthday this year.

Let's win this thing, boys.

Happy birthday mate, hope Liverpool gives you (and millions of Redss around the world) number 6 as your present.

Just over 5 hours to go, I watched the Istanbul game last night, what a game hopefully will see something as special today.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #555: May 26, 2018 02:35:12 pm
      Going on that hike now. Nothing else is working.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #556: May 26, 2018 02:42:19 pm
      keeping busy until 6pm or I could fall asleep if I start drinking this early and miss everything.
      The thought of listening to Owen harp on is enough to send me asleep.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      Reply #557: May 26, 2018 02:42:37 pm
      Right highlights of city and Roma games wash and out...

like a kid at christmas here
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #558: May 26, 2018 02:44:21 pm
      But I remember halftime and we're 0-3 down to AC Milan in our last ECL final,

Did I dream 2007? Or have you blocked the loss out of your memory?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #559: May 26, 2018 02:46:58 pm
      I think we can win today because our best players should last longer. We need to keep it tight, because if this drags on Ronaldo etc.. won't be able to carry on into extra time. Salah though, he is much more youthful and when Ramos gets leggy, Salah will be just getting into his second wind.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #560: May 26, 2018 02:49:12 pm
      Did I dream 2007? Or have you blocked the loss out of your memory?
      Good spot. I should have said our last ECL win.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #561: May 26, 2018 02:49:26 pm
      A good friend of mine and huge reds fan passed away yesterday morning after a car accident, 27 years of age, absolutely heartbreaking.

He's watching the game today from somewhere, this ones for you Karl mate. YNWA. COME ON REDMEN!

Sorry for your loss Mags, R.I.P. Karl.

YNWA
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #562: May 26, 2018 02:54:15 pm
      I am excited and nervous about the game. The last few days at work, I have been wearing LFC gear. Up the reds.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #563: May 26, 2018 02:56:15 pm
      What's your plan Walt? BT or lfctv build up?

keep switching depending on how annoying the presenters are ,I just hope Robbie Savage isn't anywhere near this
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2018 03:09:55 pm by waltonl4 »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #564: May 26, 2018 02:56:42 pm
      Holy sh*t....I thought my anxiety before the 2nd Roma Match was bad.  Oh baby, I'M FREAKING THE F**k OUT.  I couldnt sleep. Got about 4hrs of sleep. I'm running on coffee and cigarettes. Cant eat. I know this is not normal. I really dont think following this club is good for my health or sanity.

My Doctor said my blood pressure was up and stress levels are close to me getting a stroke. So, in order to fix it and relax a little he recommended that I follow Everton. No stress. I know that the biggest day for the Blue Shites is playing us and they always lose so no stress right? The only stress they have right now is if Fat Rooney comes back, although sad, its not really stress. So all I would have to deal with is nonstop
      crippling depression, a sence of utter and abject failure, bouts of crying and like all the Blues a need to sing an awful TV show jingle like f***in' Z Cars. An awful song that doesnt really relate to Football, sports or well anything. So.....thats something!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #565: May 26, 2018 02:58:30 pm
      Feeling a bit nervous now. Got some of my family and friends coming over to watch the game with some curry and nibbles. Can't help feeling that we've been in this position before, europa league final, where we should of blown Sevilla out of the water but went to peices. I'm hoping that's not going to happen tonight. I think we've just got to go into the game with the same mindset as the City game and just press, press, press. I don't think Real will be used to that kind of pressure. I heard the Ramos interview where he said that they were a bit upset that no one are talking the Real team up enough. With that in mind I'm hoping their egos a will get the better of them and they colapse under the pressure that I'm hoping we put them under. Come on you Redmen let's bring that trophy home.YNWA.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #566: May 26, 2018 03:09:08 pm
      Cricket then fulham v villa and turn over to bt at 7.30 ish, sound on tv down, win and it's crack open some ale and have a good night, lose and it's going to be a long night
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #567: May 26, 2018 03:18:08 pm
      OK,i'm outta here,need some alcohol,see youse on the other side folks..... :kop5cf8koxp6: :food-smiley-005: :ernaehrung004:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haOjrqNhR6w
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #568: May 26, 2018 03:21:33 pm
      Hurry uppppppppppp.

Leaving to hit the city in just over an hour. Literally fully dressed and ready to go and sitting here like an awkward F**k waiting for time to pass :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #569: May 26, 2018 03:27:13 pm
      Quote from YANK_LFC_FAN
      My Doctor said my blood pressure was up and stress levels are close to me getting a stroke. So, in order to fix it and relax a little he recommended that I follow Everton. No stress. I know that the biggest day for the Blue Shites is playing us and they always lose so no stress right? The only stress they have right now is if Fat Rooney comes back, although sad, its not really stress. So all I would have to deal with is nonstop
      crippling depression, a sence of utter and abject failure, bouts of crying and like all the Blues a need to sing an awful TV show jingle like f***in' Z Cars. An awful song that doesnt really relate to Football, sports or well anything. So.....thats something!

You should get one of them KEEP CALM shirts.

Look, nothing is going to happen before ko, so there's not much point stressing yourself out over it.

Enjoy the evening, and savour that we're a part of it. What will be, will be. If we win great, if we come up short, then we're back in the competition to try again in just 3.5 months time, not 3 years as was the case before this campaign.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #570: May 26, 2018 03:32:49 pm
      Got a feeling Klopp is going to do something different tonight (tactics) and it will either work brilliantly, or mess up...  :o
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #571: May 26, 2018 03:36:53 pm
      F**k, i’m with my gf on a mountain resort for 2 days but now the nerves are over the top, for the last couple of hours the emotions are crawling over me, last night i’ve barely slept.

To top if off, i have 3 close friends who are huge Real Madrid fans and they keep rubbing it in, alao because i can’t stand their club.

I pray we tw*t them and number six tonight.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #572: May 26, 2018 03:43:59 pm
      Cricket then fulham v villa and turn over to bt at 7.30 ish, sound on tv down, win and it's crack open some ale and have a good night, lose and it's going to be a long night

Agreed. Quietly confident here, but I could do without some of the articles on news sites talking about how Real won't know what hit them, blah blah blah. We are underdogs for a reasons. It is to our advantage that it seems that way, you could tell from Klopp's comments that he was trying to take the pressure off the team. There is no reason for our journos to flood the Internet with stories that will only gin up our opposition.

And yes, I'm overthinking everything now. I need a 4-hour brain freeze.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #573: May 26, 2018 03:52:50 pm
      Article on Club Website today by Melissa Reddy.
      Haven't wrapped it as a news item just thought I'd republish as text.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/125/302864-melissa-reddy-liverpool-fans

This is the Liverpool Family and tonight we will all unite wherever we are in the world.

At 15 minutes past midnight on Sunday May 27, Hamir Singh will go through his usual matchday routine at his Rajasthan home in the north of India, but this will be no regular occasion.

Approximately 12,650 kilometres away, the sun will have risen along with an anxious Campbell Rapley in Auckland, New Zealand, where the countdown to 6.45am will breathlessly commence.

Four hours behind in Singapore, David Lim’s voice will be fading after continuous caroling with friends that have become family at a local pub.

It will be still be Saturday in San Francisco, and as noon approaches, popular watering holes Kezar, Deveres and O’Flaherty’s will form the backdrop of Michael Wood and his mates vigorously swirling their scarves in unison.

When the clock strikes quarter to nine that evening in Cape Town, Shaistah Kader and her loved ones will huddle around the television armed with faith, while at the same time up in the north east, a swell of anticipation and pride will envelop all of Egypt.

These individuals of contrasting backgrounds with cultures alien to one another will be tightly interwoven by a powerful common denominator - Liverpool Football Club - when the Champions League final kicks off in Kiev, just as they are on a normal day.

Pick any continent, any country, any city and you will encounter millions of examples of the above: ordinary people melded by an extraordinary connection to the Merseyside club, who can chart junctures in their lives by goals, games, players and moments that play on loop.

There is no overarching ‘how?’ or ‘why?’ to explain this universal pull, to pinpoint the reason so many from such varied circumstances steer a large swathe of their existence around Liverpool.

In general, though, it is about much more than merely supporting a team: it is to do with an unmistakable sense of belonging, a widening of your circle and an extension of your world. It is the ability to bind with someone so completely different to you in all facets, but for football: they share your hopes and beliefs, they endure the same disappointments and anguish.

It is a formidable form of expression and communication regardless of mother tongue or accent. It is part of you - sewn into the very essence of who you are.

“It’s forever,” as Xabi Alonso highlighted. “It’s not just about a football club, it’s about family, how you live.”

Each love story is personalised. Take, for example, the tale of Sudarshan Sampath. The 30-year-old lives in Seattle, but spent his formative years in Bury, where his father was finishing up a medical degree while working for the NHS.

Before the birth of his son, Sampath Senior had considered packing everything up and returning to India due to escalating race tensions. He would later reveal to his little boy that he found the strength to stay and forge a better life for his family after watching a John Barnes masterclass for Liverpool in the late 80s.

Witnessing the winger - a chance occurrence - being so majestic despite discrimination empowered him to feel he could triumph in his own situation. As soon as Sudarshan was old enough, they regularly travelled to Anfield together until moving to the States, where their support has only hardened as they navigate kick-off times in the early hours.

Marque Pierre Sondergaard, meanwhile, grew up in Denmark where there would be fights with his friends over whose turn it was to be Liverpool in backyard kickabouts.

He recalls a childhood of waiting in front of the TV for the one English football match that would be screened on a Saturday, hoping it would feature the team in the red, v-neck kit with white embroidery and the Crown Paints logo that could count on the vision and creativity of his countryman, Jan Molby.

It was while enjoying the 2006 World Cup as an 11-year-old and revelling in the performances of Harry Kewell that Sean Brown from Melbourne pledged allegiance to Liverpool.

He was at the MCG in 2013, his voice streaming with 95,445 others in an unforgettable, soul-stirring rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone.

About 15,175 km and a 10-hour time difference away, in Ghana’s rainforest region of Kumasi, Osei Ankrah’s association with the club began with an act of charity.

Old strips were donated to his street team when he was eight and he scored the white, green and black away top that Robbie Fowler dismantled defences in. It was Osei’s first shirt and it wasn’t just a piece of clothing to him, it was “a symbol of optimism and aspiration”.

Tran Thi Mai Le from Hanoi was in hospital, flipping through the pages of a book when she was introduced to Liverpool; the club’s storied past distracting her from severe chest pains. Learning about the Reds provided an escape and comforting before it became habit, and now, she spends her hard-earned savings on an annual visit to Anfield.

There are countless accounts to relate, all unique, but they carry the same underlining message: support isn’t strictly about geography or logic, it’s centered on an emotional attachment that cuts through distance, cares not for language barriers and crushes convention.

When your heart rate escalates at the speed of Mohamed Salah as Liverpool take to the pitch against Real Madrid at the NSC Olimpiyskiy Stadium, as your insides twist and turn, pick any continent, any country, any city and know there are millions lined across the earth’s surface experiencing the same sensations, who are dreaming as vividly and hoping as intensely as you.

That is power. That is a source of pride. That is a great show of Red strength.

The club have conquered all of Europe, but far beyond that, they’re tattooed on you, you, you and on beings the world over.

WE are Liverpool.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #574: May 26, 2018 03:55:27 pm
      I can not tell you how much I need this win.

Quick Reply