Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22434 times
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)
      Reply #161: May 05, 2018 03:01:25 pm
      Am chuffed :) brilliant for stevie g and the gers c'mon!!!!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #162: May 05, 2018 03:21:53 pm
      First job will to boot out kenny miller and get a decent pair of centrebacks
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #163: May 05, 2018 03:24:30 pm
      Celtic aren't that good. They only look good in the SPL. They can't even get noticed in Europe. Got thrashed before group stages. It's going to take Championship quality to knock Celtic off their perch. The way people go on, you would think Celtic are sparring with Europe elites

Celtic are average for sure, but they're miles ahead of Rangers in quality. Stevie has a huge job to do.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #164: May 05, 2018 08:12:09 pm
      Fair play to SG, could stay comfortable where he is, but this is a big challenge.
      Really hope he does well up there - I'll be looking out for results in Scotland now :)
      Not a fan of Rangers, and they have gap to close on Celtic - but SG must have contacts that can help bring in players.
      Not sure he has what it takes to manage a big club, but we'll see, and I wish him the very best of luck.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #165: May 05, 2018 08:16:01 pm

Not sure he has what it takes to manage a big club, but we'll see, and I wish him the very best of luck.
      What the flying f...k how can you possibly make a statement like that he hasn't even officially joined them yet.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,687 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #166: May 05, 2018 08:20:54 pm
      Good luck Stevie!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #167: May 05, 2018 08:33:34 pm
      My mum is from Glasgow and theyā€™re all Celtic through and through. So Iā€™m a bit gutted about this appointment
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #168: May 07, 2018 07:00:32 am
       Stevie doesnt seem to be the type of guy who cares about the "Old Firm" sh*t. Hes not a Neil Lennon. Hes not gonna fight a Celtic supporter or carry a Rangers banner into the whole sectarian sh*t.If it was Liverpool yeah! He'd bleed out to keep the Anfield seats Red. But for Rangers? I dont see it happening.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #169: May 07, 2018 09:03:24 am
      I think we should give Stevie a chance to prove himself as a manager before judging what he can or cannot do.Prove the doubters wrong Stevie.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #170: May 08, 2018 08:57:04 am
      Got a funny feeling we might see Woodburn and Solanke going there on loan next Season. Would be good for them both to get a solid Season under their belts. Would give them much needed game time and would no doubt improve the Squad. I think this move is right for both Stevie and JĆ¼rgen.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #171: May 08, 2018 12:02:41 pm
      Got a funny feeling we might see Woodburn and Solanke going there on loan next Season. Would be good for them both to get a solid Season under their belts. Would give them much needed game time and would no doubt improve the Squad. I think this move is right for both Stevie and JĆ¼rgen.

Not the worst idea in the world hardcore especially as, if rumours are to be believed, former youth coach Michael Beale could join up with Stevie in his coaching squad.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steven-gerrard-relishing-brendan-rodgers-14617801
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #172: May 08, 2018 12:17:31 pm
      Be surprised if many youngsters go, it's a very tough environment and stevie will need to hit the ground running
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #173: May 08, 2018 12:28:34 pm
      What's not to celebrate? Liverpool legend,one of countless heroes of mine and countless other reds who has stepped up to the plate & decided to have a go,can only wish him the very best and hope he dors exceptionally well.
      Kopite78
      Reply #174: May 08, 2018 01:03:15 pm

It's just the ones with a predetermined axe to grind
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #175: May 08, 2018 02:00:34 pm
      Be surprised if many youngsters go, it's a very tough environment and stevie will need to hit the ground running

Agree. Young players have a better chance if they are treated with patience, and patience is on very short supply at Rangers.

Saying that, Solanke in particular could benefit from getting an uninterrupted run of games from the start.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #176: May 08, 2018 02:01:13 pm
      It's just the ones with a predetermined axe to grind

I have not read anyone having a axe to grind with the skipper taking on this huge job, more of issue with the sectarian element amongst the supporters which may see Stevie having to speak out against it, a distraction Stevie wouldn't want early on in his managerial career..
      Kopite78
      Reply #177: May 08, 2018 02:07:29 pm
      I have not read anyone having a axe to grind with the skipper taking on this huge job, more of issue with the sectarian element amongst the supporters which may see Stevie having to speak out against it, a distraction Stevie wouldn't want early on in his managerial career..

That is the axe that they're grinding Shabs.

Stevie won't get involved in the politics of it all
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #178: May 08, 2018 08:28:21 pm
      you cant pick out one Glasgow team's supporters behaviour without mentioning the other team's so probably best to leave it to them North of the Border and let Stevie focus on football.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #179: May 08, 2018 08:44:51 pm

It's strange as I don't think there would have been as much talk of the sectarian stuff if he took the Celtic job.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #180: May 08, 2018 09:06:42 pm
      It's strange as I don't think there would have been as much talk of the sectarian stuff if he took the Celtic job.

There wouldnā€™t Si - and I say this as someone raised Protestant and now a passionate atheist - because the two clubs canā€™t be compared in that regard.

The sectarianism (not the hatred of one anotherā€™s fanbase) is uniquely driven by the Rangers fanbase. I donā€™t know a single Celtic fan that has ever uttered a ā€œanti-Protestantā€ phrase in my presence. They hate  Rangers the club and itā€™s history not Protestants. Itā€™s not the same amongst my RFC supporting mates - one of my best mates is a season ticket holder and  top bloke with not an ounce of bigotry in him and heā€™d be the first to say that about his fellow fans.

My brothers and Dad were Celtic fans.

Iā€™ve said this umpteen times on here and (on reflection) I now understand Iā€™m too close and saw too much growing up to be truly neutral even though Iā€™m red through and through.......

I admire those who say ā€œf**k it Stevie is Stevie and Iā€™m gonna support himā€. Thatā€™s something I canā€™t do - I donā€™t want him to fail I just canā€™t root for the team he will manage. Not just because Iā€™d end up sleeping in the garage btw ;)

My point - I just think itā€™s wrong and unfair when the poisonous sword of sectarianism is put into the hands of both clubs. There are extremists that distort but as organisations - with the reasons they exist historically - they canā€™t be compared.

I will now stop reading this thread and leave to those that can just revere Stevie.

Apols to all the last few days for labouring a point.

YNWA
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2018 09:18:29 pm by Scotia »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #181: May 08, 2018 09:26:23 pm
      There wouldnā€™t Si - and I say this as someone raised Protestant and now a passionate atheist - because the two clubs canā€™t be compared in that regard.

The sectarianism (not the hatred of one anotherā€™s fanbase) is uniquely driven by the Rangers fanbase. I donā€™t know a single Celtic fan that has ever uttered a ā€œanti-Protestantā€ phrase in my presence. They hate  Rangers the club and itā€™s history not Protestants. Itā€™s not the same amongst my RFC supporting mates - one of my best mates is a season ticket holder and  top bloke with not an ounce of bigotry in him and heā€™d be the first to say that about his fellow fans.

My brothers and Dad were Celtic fans.

Iā€™ve said this umpteen times on here and (on reflection) I now understand Iā€™m too close and saw too much growing up to be truly neutral even though Iā€™m red through and through.......

I admire those who say ā€œf**k it Stevie is Stevie and Iā€™m gonna support himā€. Thatā€™s something I canā€™t do - I donā€™t want him to fail I just canā€™t root for the team he will manage. Not just because Iā€™d end up sleeping in the garage btw ;)

My point - I just think itā€™s wrong and unfair when the poisonous sword of sectarianism is put into the hands of both clubs. There are extremists that distort but as organisations - with the reasons they exist historically - they canā€™t be compared.

I will now stop reading this thread and leave to those that can just revere Stevie.

YNWA

Interesting mate and I'm no expert on the matter and have no axe to grind one way or the other.

Maybe it's from experience over here in NI where I've heard sectarianism from both sides. I'm pretty sure I recall reports of sectarianism from both sets of fans over the years as well.

As I said mate I'm far from an expert but just found it interesting that it's been such a big talking point on here when it's not really discussed when there's talk about Celtic.
      Kopite78
      Reply #182: May 08, 2018 09:32:54 pm

As I said mate I'm far from an expert but just found it interesting that it's been such a big talking point on here when it's not really discussed when there's talk about Celtic.

That's kind of my view si

The thought that all Rangers fans should be tarred with the same brush doesn't sit great with me, Scotia who I have a huge amount of time for one here, I think he's a funny man and a credit to the reds but is obviously closer to it than me is seemingly very strong on the subject..  he even says above that he has rangers mates so they can't all be bad folk.. so to hate an institution over a minority ( however big or small) doesn't sit well with me.
      I've spent most of my life being tarred with a certain view point as a Liverpool fan.

However I literally have no view piont on it, I just want Steven to succeed and that's my only angle

As I said the other day I ultimately couldn't give a F**k about Rangers fans (or Celtic truth be told) I just want Steven to be a success
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Reply #183: May 09, 2018 10:16:08 am
      That's kind of my view si

The thought that all Rangers fans should be tarred with the same brush doesn't sit great with me, Scotia who I have a huge amount of time for one here, I think he's a funny man and a credit to the reds but is obviously closer to it than me is seemingly very strong on the subject..  he even says above that he has rangers mates so they can't all be bad folk.. so to hate an institution over a minority ( however big or small) doesn't sit well with me.
      I've spent most of my life being tarred with a certain view point as a Liverpool fan.

However I literally have no view piont on it, I just want Steven to succeed and that's my only angle

As I said the other day I ultimately couldn't give a f**k about Rangers fans (or Celtic truth be told) I just want Steven to be a success

The thing is though is that Rangers are a club with a history of institutional sectarianism. They had a bar on signing Catholics until Souness signed Mo Johnston in the late 80's. This was the case with a fair few of Scottish firms until pretty recently - literally would not employ catholics - and Rangers as a club were at the forefront of promoting that mentality. It's not just a case of a minority of fans.

Of course that doesn't mean all Rangers fans are bigots. But the club itself has a history of bigotry.

I would also somewhat disagree with Scotia that there is no sectarianism amongst Celtic fans. There is a minority that would eg support the IRA, and the IRA is a sectarian organisation. But Celtic as a club never had a bar on protestants, and bigotry is definitely not as bad amongst their fans as amongst Rangers fans. (Like Scotia, I know Rangers fans who would admit that themselves.)

Quick Reply