Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Loris Karius
      1 (1.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (5.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      7 (13%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (9.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      30 (55.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.7%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: May 10, 2018 06:23:13 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25434 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: May 06, 2018 11:12:09 pm
      I love Robertson (probably my favourite player at the moment) but Alonso is class, don't think Andy would be much of an improvement if at all better. VVD definitely starts for Chelsea though, easily

Alonso is pretty average as a defender hence the 3 cb's
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #392: May 06, 2018 11:48:10 pm
      The only question that now matters is this, "Can Jürgen get his starting XI fit and motivated in 1 weeks time"?
      I genuinely am a bit nervous, thank F**k Brighton have nothing to play for or else we'd be in serious trouble, imagine if we had Swansea or Southampton as the final game!
      By the way I'm not being all negative about the team as they have been magnificent this season but something is fu**ed up at the moment, be it fitness or focus and its a big concern.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #393: May 06, 2018 11:53:17 pm
      I thought when we needed 4 pts from 3 games we would be going up against Brighton needing a win. It puts pressure on us right up until the end of the league, which is a good thing. We have to get a result, again a good thing (provided Chelsea win their last two, and SPurs). If we beat Brighton we are definitely in the CL next year stopping the likes of Madrid getting onto Salah's agent and creating havoc before the final. it makes the end of season exciting. If we qualify against Brighton, there will be a little more of a  buzz going to Kiev, and it is in our hands.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #394: May 06, 2018 11:55:04 pm
      I thought when we needed 4 pts from 3 games we would be going up against Brighton needing a win. It puts pressure on us right up until the end of the league, which is a good thing. We have to get a result, again a good thing (provided Chelsea win their last two, and SPurs). If we beat Brighton we are definitely in the CL next year stopping the likes of Madrid getting onto Salah's agent and creating havoc before the final. it makes the end of season exciting. If we qualify against Brighton, there will be a little more of a  buzz going to Kiev, and it is in our hands.

And if we lose to Brighton?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #395: May 07, 2018 12:03:30 am

Then hope more than ever we win against Madrid or you can chuck any hope of landing some top quality players in the summer because we will just be seen as losing our bottle...again.

1 win in the last 5 games. Not good enough and if we carry this form on, then we will lose to Madrid, need to up our game big time. This was a game we had to not lose to make the build up to Kiev so much more comfortable, even be able to rest players vs Brighton. But instead for the 2nd season running we are taking it to the final game. We were about 10 ahead of the Chavs but now completely blown that. Why is it, no matter what when we have something to play for, and have them at the end of the season, we always seem to mess it up and lose to them?!

These injuries have hit our midfield hard.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #396: May 07, 2018 12:03:54 am

Don't want to contemplate it
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #397: May 07, 2018 12:26:04 am
      Realistically, who do we have that could give us a bit of an Ox/Can role in midfield?

Our front three are getting completely fried because the opposing defense has nothing to cover but them. None of the 3 mids we field can go forward and take off some of the pressure they put on them.

I think Klopp has to play with the formation a bit an start Firmino as a no.10 behind the front three (Mane-Ings-Salah) and have Milner and Henderson play a defensive minded game a bit deeper covering for the support runs of Robertson and TAA.

This puts Gini back on the bench which gives us an additional midfielder to sub in other than Woodburn.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #398: May 07, 2018 12:26:23 am
      That break before the final can't come quick enough.
      Only took a handful of injuries to expose the squad for what it is.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #399: May 07, 2018 12:34:34 am
      The only question that now matters is this, "Can Jürgen get his starting XI fit and motivated in 1 weeks time"?
      I genuinely am a bit nervous, thank f**k Brighton have nothing to play for or else we'd be in serious trouble, imagine if we had Swansea or Southampton as the final game!
      By the way I'm not being all negative about the team as they have been magnificent this season but something is fu**ed up at the moment, be it fitness or focus and its a big concern.

I don't think it's complicated. You've got a combination of being at the tail end of a season with 50+ matches, three matches in a week a squad that wasn't very deep in the first place (due in part to multiple loans out) and the added difficulty of multiple injuries, especially in the midfield. Today you have a match following an absolute emotional high in midweek, played against a team sitting deep, calling for a lot of movement from the front three to show for the ball, midfielders making runs into the box and outside backs doing the same. The combination of all these worked against us vs. a team that has some quality.

The squad depth problem will have to be addressed in the summer and Jürgen has already mentioned that. But we can't change that now. For these last two matches, I think just having a proper week ( and then two weeks) to rest, recover and prepare will help us to be ready for the occasions.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #400: May 07, 2018 12:50:23 am
      It’s a pity to be in the same boat (probably - assuming Chelsea beat Huddersfield in the week) as last year, I think we’re better than last years team. But it is what it is a win against Brighton to seal CL (Newcastle might even do us a favour next week against Chelski)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #401: May 07, 2018 01:18:03 am
      It’s a pity to be in the same boat (probably - assuming Chelsea beat Huddersfield in the week) as last year, I think we’re better than last years team. But it is what it is a win against Brighton to seal CL (Newcastle might even do us a favour next week against Chelski)

Huddersfield held City and beat the Mancs this season. Chavs are from a force so hopefully Huddersfield can defy the odds again.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #402: May 07, 2018 01:43:54 am
      There are two things I'm disappointed with. First is Klopp described this game as the biggest of his career and given the sheer lack of intensity and urgency form the players, I think they let him down. Our response to the goal was a shrug of the shoulders as if it was no more important than missing the bus. They just carried on without raising their game levels and moving up through the gears to put what is a very average Chelsea side to the sword.

The second is a wider issue. People have made excuses for this Liverpool team by saying it is understandable that we lacked the intensity not just from this game but from the last three. People have pointed to the semi-final and made claim that its natural that player performance drops in light of such a big game. It is not. If we wish again to be the successful club we once were, we're going to need to learn to cope with being in a lot of important games at the business end of the season. We could, were we to go on and be highly successful, in two cup finals and competing for the league at this time of year and its simply unacceptable for performance levels to drop because players have their mind on the next game.

One thing is for sure, we sure as hell aren't going to compete at this level without a bigger, more experienced, and more talented squad than we have now. It's not going to work taking off Mane and putting on Solanke or Ings, the drop off is too great. We can't rest the skipper and ask a 19 year old to step into his place when he's been playing at right back all season, and we certainly can't  be taking off one of, if not the best left back in the country right now and sending on a clown in his stead. If we're lucky enough to finish in the top four, an awful lot of work is needing being done by our recruitment team because we can't go a third season being knackered by April.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #403: May 07, 2018 03:49:02 am
      There are two things I'm disappointed with. First is Klopp described this game as the biggest of his career and given the sheer lack of intensity and urgency form the players, I think they let him down. Our response to the goal was a shrug of the shoulders as if it was no more important than missing the bus. They just carried on without raising their game levels and moving up through the gears to put what is a very average Chelsea side to the sword.

The second is a wider issue. People have made excuses for this Liverpool team by saying it is understandable that we lacked the intensity not just from this game but from the last three. People have pointed to the semi-final and made claim that its natural that player performance drops in light of such a big game. It is not. If we wish again to be the successful club we once were, we're going to need to learn to cope with being in a lot of important games at the business end of the season. We could, were we to go on and be highly successful, in two cup finals and competing for the league at this time of year and its simply unacceptable for performance levels to drop because players have their mind on the next game.

One thing is for sure, we sure as hell aren't going to compete at this level without a bigger, more experienced, and more talented squad than we have now. It's not going to work taking off Mane and putting on Solanke or Ings, the drop off is too great. We can't rest the skipper and ask a 19 year old to step into his place when he's been playing at right back all season, and we certainly can't  be taking off one of, if not the best left back in the country right now and sending on a clown in his stead. If we're lucky enough to finish in the top four, an awful lot of work is needing being done by our recruitment team because we can't go a third season being knackered by April.

I don't agree with you on the idea that the players let him down precisely because of what you wrote later in your post. You nailed it, the squad is simply not deep enough for Klopp or the players remaining to go into games like this one and perform at the same level they did two weeks ago.

The midfield is completely depleted and left with nobody good enough to offer support to the front three. The two players who offered that on a regular basis are both out with injuries. The right-back and left-back positions have no decent back-up in case of injuries or even for rotation. Same goes for the wings and the striker. We knew that going into the season and it's not surprising that when we lost key players to injuries we had nobody to replace them. Can's absence went unnoticed because OX was there, but now that Ox is out too, its a nightmare in midfield.

It's not the fault of the players or even the immediate mistake of Klopp. He's fielding the players he has and it's simply not enough. I would say that I'm disappointed in him not fiddling with the formation before the game in order to hide the weaknesses and bring in some creativity behind the front trio, but then again, if he does that and we lose the game, he's getting crucified.

This is why a lot of fans, before the season started, were raging for more signings, but this is what we're left with for now. Klopp needs to change things in the formation in order to create support for the front three or its all gonna be copies of the games against Stoke and Chelsea.

When you look at it, we oughta be more surprised that this season has gone so well. 19 yo at RB who is performing really good, LB that everybody believed would be a decent addition at most has turned into arguably the best LB in the league, Salah surprising everybody with double the numbers the most optimistic of us had predicted for him.

Key positions have to be filled with quality and depth. Otherwise this is what happens. 
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #404: May 07, 2018 04:06:54 am
      I don't agree with you on the idea that the players let him down precisely because of what you wrote later in your post. You nailed it, the squad is simply not deep enough for Klopp or the players remaining to go into games like this one and perform at the same level they did two weeks ago.

The midfield is completely depleted and left with nobody good enough to offer support to the front three. The two players who offered that on a regular basis are both out with injuries. The right-back and left-back positions have no decent back-up in case of injuries or even for rotation. Same goes for the wings and the striker. We knew that going into the season and it's not surprising that when we lost key players to injuries we had nobody to replace them. Can's absence went unnoticed because OX was there, but now that Ox is out too, its a nightmare in midfield.

It's not the fault of the players or even the immediate mistake of Klopp. He's fielding the players he has and it's simply not enough. I would say that I'm disappointed in him not fiddling with the formation before the game in order to hide the weaknesses and bring in some creativity behind the front trio, but then again, if he does that and we lose the game, he's getting crucified.

This is why a lot of fans, before the season started, were raging for more signings, but this is what we're left with for now. Klopp needs to change things in the formation in order to create support for the front three or its all gonna be copies of the games against Stoke and Chelsea.

When you look at it, we oughta be more surprised that this season has gone so well. 19 yo at RB who is performing really good, LB that everybody believed would be a decent addition at most has turned into arguably the best LB in the league, Salah surprising everybody with double the numbers the most optimistic of us had predicted for him.

Key positions have to be filled with quality and depth. Otherwise this is what happens.

A club of our resource I just can’t fathom how Solanke is the go to. Klopp has done a really good job assembling an 11 from the muddle he inherited but the next step has to be more quality in reserve, particularly across the front positions. You look at even Chelsea today who have their own issues but without Morata at all they still had Willian and Pedro on the bench against us (Willian scores against us at Anfield having come off the bench I’m sure).
      Massive game now against Brighton we’ve got to get up for it
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #405: May 07, 2018 04:13:50 am

Readjust. But seriously, unless there are some serious Madridsta's in the Brighton fold, I doubt that will come to pass. Just hope Salah, Firmino or Mane don't get injured.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #406: May 07, 2018 04:19:15 am
      You're being to sound like our Rib. And Rib is improving :)

We looked tired :(

Coz I criticised one game?

We were awful. Calling the game like I see it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #407: May 07, 2018 04:25:57 am
      F**k!

Our last 5 games in all Competitions reads:

DWDLL

That's not good form going into the last 2 games of the Season.

Genuinely worried about having to beat Brighton on the last day to guarantee CL Qualification for next Season.

On to this morning's game, we dominated those cu*ts for the majority of the game, they get one lucky goal and they get the 3 points.

As much as we controlled the game, apart from Sadio's couple of shots, we didn't have another shot on target, I don't recall.
      Gut wrenching. Hate those cu*ts.

This dip in form couldn't have come at a worse time. Obviously a combination of having a depleted squad but more importantly Buvac, F***ing off. Hope Klopp can have a meeting with him and get him back to the Club for these last 2 games.

Come on lads, don't F**k this up ...don't let it all rest on us beating RM In the CL Final.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #408: May 07, 2018 05:32:06 am
      The one + back to a game a week. This squad is begging for some rest.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #409: May 07, 2018 06:52:41 am
      There are some very dramatic posts in this thread. There's no need to over complicate. We've got a very good first 11 who are totally knackered and a sh*te bench. There's not any more to it than that.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #410: May 07, 2018 07:44:42 am
      There are some very dramatic posts in this thread. There's no need to over complicate. We've got a very good first 11 who are totally knackered and a sh*te bench. There's not any more to it than that.

That's a fair assesment, but it doesn't help us going into the last two games of the season does it.
      What's worrying me is , Mo seems to have lost his mo Jo. The last couple of games he deffo isn't the player he has been this season.
      Surely it can't be all down to a long season ?
      Agree with most on here we really do need a bigger squad for next season, and not to be so unlucky with major injuries.
      Let's hope we can fall over the line against Brighton then regroup for Madrid.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #411: May 07, 2018 08:22:20 am

That's a fair assesment, but it doesn't help us going into the last two games of the season does it.
      What's worrying me is , Mo seems to have lost his mo Jo. The last couple of games he deffo isn't the player he has been this season.
      Surely it can't be all down to a long season ?
      Agree with most on here we really do need a bigger squad for next season, and not to be so unlucky with major injuries.
      Let's hope we can fall over the line against Brighton then regroup for Madrid.

Your right about Mo, his touch has been poor the last couple of games. Fingers crossed he regains it quickly. Hopefully some rest and a few good days of training make all the difference against Brighton. I fancy us to win comfortably. In the mean time let's hope Huddersfield can steal a point in mid week.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #412: May 07, 2018 08:32:51 am
      F***ing hell that was so F***ing sh*t. Our league form is utterly horrendous
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #413: May 07, 2018 08:37:16 am
      It left me so sad at the standard of football we played,the premeditated passing game we played did us no favour.To my mind it was passing without making any progress whatsoever.We were so slow it enabled Chelsea to get back and stifle our front three.I hope the lads can lift their game against Brighton and secure the 3 points.

Quick Reply