Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Loris Karius
      1 (1.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (5.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      7 (13%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (9.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      30 (55.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.7%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: May 10, 2018 06:23:13 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25452 times
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: May 06, 2018 06:41:57 pm
      After a tough cl game

I expected a defeat here, Chelsea did get a bit lucky with their goal, we have it in our own hands

We need whoop Brighton to regain momentum, our cm is an issue, they are excellent at pressuring and winning back the ball but are so average when needing to unlock a defence

It’s why I am not sad about can going

I am excited with who klopp replaces him with

The performance against Stoke was the issue though and the soft draws our defence and keeper has cost us may haunt us yet

Step it up lads, destiny is in our own hands at Anfield

No excuses
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #346: May 06, 2018 06:45:05 pm
      Was just so passive and horrible to watch. We didn’t look like scoring the whole game. Toothless and weak.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #347: May 06, 2018 06:45:18 pm
      Recent PL games have been so bloody frustrating. And again today.
      We should NOT be loosing that game, masses of possession, but back to the old bus parking problem, we can't break the F***ing thing down.  F***ing Utd and Chavs played the same game against us, sat back, in their home game, and played us on the break. They know what to expect from us - should we not be expecting this from them and having SOME decent counter?!?!

Completely agree that the lads are wrecked, the CL is taking it out of them - some poor passing out there - found it hard to come up with a MOTM for the vote (went with VVD). It's the same 11 of so guys we're depending on week in week out, and that is F***ing unbelievable for a club who wants to challenge. The bench is not good enough - and Jürgen know it - is why he hardly ever brings anyone on. Needs more bodies in summer.

In saying that, Solanke - who imho is nowhere near up to playing at this level - had a couple of headed chances, possibly the best 'chances' we managed to make in the 2nd half ?! - which says it all really.
      BUT why not stick Virgil up there instead of bringing on Solanke - he has better control and is a better header of the ball - he is guaranteed to win balls in the air - Maureen plays land-of-the-giants stuff all the time - could we not give it a shot when all F***ing else is failing.
      If not that, something !!!  Dominic Solanke is close to not being something.

Must have spent 30 mins of that 2nd half passing it around in front of the Chavs defense.
      But not unused to seeing that in the PL.
      In CL, playing teams who actually want to play - and we make the most of it.

Jürgen still needs to find a way to beat teams who don't want to play football.

Need to beat F***ing Brighton.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #348: May 06, 2018 06:47:03 pm
      I thought again looked like a combo of tired legs and players not really putting themselves out there to win looking ahead to being fit for the final. We played well the first 30 mins controlling the ball and making couple chances but after a unlucky deflection on cross right to Grioud head we never regained that control. Again example of why we another talented attacking player plugin front 3 (prefer one who can play up the middle since looking like this is second season in a row we are running Firmino into the ground). Chelsea did defend well but we didn't have the intensity ever looking like to threaten Chelsea in the second half.

It was easy to see Kloop was very mad about the performance and hope get the guys up for the last game cause I think we UCL final being two week away after our final EPL ga,e we have no excuse not to empty the tank and lock up UCL spot.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #349: May 06, 2018 06:47:44 pm
      Yes we shouldn’t have to worry about Brighton. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be concerned about the larger trend of dropping points at the end of the season. Injuries or not we should be able to get results against these sides. Anything can happen in one game which is the only reason I will be a little nervous next week.

Agree, we’ll definitively beat Brighton.

Since the first game against City we have played 9 games (5 PL and 2 CL) of those 9 we have kept a clean sheet in 4 games (but only won two).

We are shipping a lot of goals ( 10 in the last 9 games ) and today we conceded from their only chance.

Definitely look tired, thankfully we have a week until our next game and then two before th CL final.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #350: May 06, 2018 06:47:50 pm
      its been one hell of a week for the lads no shame in defeat to a team who are clinging on to a CL spot like WBA are clinging on to the EPL.
      However win next week and it doesn't matter about today and Huddersfield still need a result on Weds to be certain so like normal we will leave it until the last minute .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: LIVE: Chelsea v Liverpool (Premier League)
      Reply #351: May 06, 2018 06:50:57 pm
      We were totally in control until they scored, I still fancy us to win.

Obviously I made the fatal error of thinking the players gave a F**k about winning. What an awful display, very worrying.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #352: May 06, 2018 06:52:26 pm
      Agree, we’ll definitively beat Brighton.

Since the first game against City we have played 9 games (5 PL and 2 CL) of those 9 we have kept a clean sheet in 4 games (but only won two).

We are shipping a lot of goals ( 10 in the last 9 games ) and today we conceded from their only chance.

Definitely look tired, thankfully we have a week until our next game and then two before th CL final.

I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years. This should have been put to bed three games ago but the players, and Klopp took their eye off the ball and dropped it.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #353: May 06, 2018 06:55:01 pm
      I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years.

They have nothing to play for, it’ll be a disaster if we don’t. I don’t like to go to that game with that many pressure on us, but we should still be able to beat them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #354: May 06, 2018 06:56:54 pm
      I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years. This should have been put to bed three games ago but the players, and Klopp took their eye off the ball and dropped it.

Klopp hasn’t taken his eye off anything. Settle down.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #355: May 06, 2018 07:01:42 pm

He's a smug faced c**t
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #356: May 06, 2018 07:02:12 pm
      Game too far want it. Hardly surprising really given it's the same players every week. Lacked the zip and tempo that we normally have in the final third. She to see quslification go right to the wire given where we weee a few weeks ago but we are paying the price for having such a small squad. My only gripe in recent weeks is the lack of action for Ben Woodburn, how on earth does Solanke get on ahead of him? Baffles me, particularly when he can play in the middle of the park as well.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #357: May 06, 2018 07:10:01 pm
      Game too far want it. Hardly surprising really given it's the same players every week. Lacked the zip and tempo that we normally have in the final third. She to see quslification go right to the wire given where we weee a few weeks ago but we are paying the price for having such a small squad. My only gripe in recent weeks is the lack of action for Ben Woodburn, how on earth does Solanke get on ahead of him? Baffles me, particularly when he can play in the middle of the park as well.

Yeah Woodburn would have made sense with 15 minutes or so to go, with them sitting deep. And I'm far from a Moreno fan, but bringing him on to try and give us a bit more energy ( and width) made sense - but why so late? 88th minute I think it was. It's still rare to see Jürgen make a sub that changes a game. ( Granted this may have a fair bit to do with the quality of our bench)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #358: May 06, 2018 07:11:06 pm
      And what's all this anti solanke sh*t he had about 15 mins to do something and you lot want him fu**ed off give him a break no one was on form today and he had nothing to work with.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #359: May 06, 2018 07:14:08 pm
      The 2001 team won three trophies and were poor in the league.  Great memories but didn't breed success.

I'd just like to state I've been extremely disappointed by our recent collection of games.  Apart from the period during the home Roma game in which we annihilated them we have been fairly dismal.

Under no circumstances should top four qualification have been coming down to the last game.  Looks to me like pure and simple unprofessionalism.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #360: May 06, 2018 07:15:44 pm
      Poor again. No surprises though, this is what happens when you have a great first team but nothing behind it - a great cup run but you get found wanting in the league.

Not feeling confident for Brighton at all.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,521 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #361: May 06, 2018 07:27:09 pm
      I’ll be totally honest, if we can’t beat the likes of WBA, Stoke or even scrape a draw against the worst Chelsea team for years, we don’t deserve top 4. I’ll bet Madrid are wondering who this exciting team is they are playing in Kiev because it wasn’t on show today.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #362: May 06, 2018 07:30:25 pm
      I'll take back Daniel Sturridge and bin Solanke.

I wouldn’t take Sturridge back, but I’d probably bin Solanke

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #363: May 06, 2018 07:33:26 pm
      And what's all this anti solanke sh*t he had about 15 mins to do something and you lot want him fu**ed off give him a break no one was on form today and he had nothing to work with.

Imho too many times the ball goes into him and his first touch is too heavy, he looses it and the other team is on the break.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #364: May 06, 2018 07:35:54 pm
      Awful result - poor performance. But, were we not in the same situation in our last game of last season? We had to win. We did.

When faced with the situation of a must win vs Brighton at home, I'm confident the lads will pull through.

Not that I like it, but the reality is that at the moment the lads are purposefully under performing in the PL. They are not putting in the effort as they want to be ready for the Final. Obviously the plan was that they would do enough in the PL but have today fell short, and will now be forced to put some effort in.

The downside is the it affects form. To many losses and poor results do not bode well for the Final. Plus Salah has gone off the boil since winning his award and facing huge pressure to score one more goal.

Hoping all that will change at Anfield, and we can then go on to face Real Madrid off the back of a great result.

DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #365: May 06, 2018 07:36:50 pm
      The 2001 team won three trophies and were poor in the league.  Great memories but didn't breed success.

I'd just like to state I've been extremely disappointed by our recent collection of games.  Apart from the period during the home Roma game in which we annihilated them we have been fairly dismal.

Under no circumstances should top four qualification have been coming down to the last game.  Looks to me like pure and simple unprofessionalism.

Unfortunately, that's precisely what it is.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #366: May 06, 2018 07:41:35 pm
      “Plus Salah has gone off the boil since winning his award and facing huge pressure to score one more goal. “

Quoting above from Danmann,  I remember this happened to Suarez too, after the award he never scored again for us in 2013/2014
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #367: May 06, 2018 07:43:35 pm

I haven't seen a lack of effort so I'm not sure how our recent league form can be branded as unprofessional? In truth the error was in it brining in a couple more players in the January window. A player Aubameyang would have been a superb piece of business And I'm still scratching my head as to why the club weren't in for him.

Quick Reply