Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Brighton (13/05/18 - 3pm)

Read 17089 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Brighton (13/05/18 - 3pm)
      Reply #92: May 10, 2018 01:25:22 am
      Wouldn't say pressure is off, but I feel Chelsea will rest players (Cup final vs Utd) so they could settle for the draw as it is unlikely we will lose, or Newcastle may beat them, but We need the win at Brighton to make sure...

Now that i'm home and got to watch highlights and read reports on the game, for the life of me i cannot believe Conte would rest Courtois, Hazard and Giroud in what'd be the biggest game of the season for them at this point. What was he thinking? so now he has them rested for an almost meaningless game against Newcastle.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #93: May 10, 2018 01:38:00 am
      That's my point though.  Jürgen has been complaining about a small squad and injury problems late in the season for 2.5 years now.  Either he messed up by not bringing in more bodies, or the owners are to blame for not giving him the money.  This isn't a new problem, and it's a joke a club of our size and stature has to fill the bench with U23 players in a CL semifinal.

No, no he has not. Stop making dumb sh*t up.

At the time of the Coutinho sale, Can and Ox were healthy and Lallana was almost back to full fitness, with Jürgen more or less saying he'd be like a new signing after missing the entire first half. When the January transfer window closed there were no concerns about squad depth by Klopp. Any team who loses 3 starter-quality midfielders will feel the pain, especially if you're also making a deep run in the CL all the way to the finals, and no team can carry 7-8 quality midfielders to make people like you happy, mainly because those 7th and 8th options are not going to come to a team knowing they're not going to play unless half the players in their position go down to injuries.

If you took 3 midfielders out of any City or United or Spurs, their bench would look dire as well.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #94: May 10, 2018 03:48:03 am
      No, no he has not. Stop making dumb sh*t up.

At the time of the Coutinho sale, Can and Ox were healthy and Lallana was almost back to full fitness, with Jürgen more or less saying he'd be like a new signing after missing the entire first half. When the January transfer window closed there were no concerns about squad depth by Klopp. Any team who loses 3 starter-quality midfielders will feel the pain, especially if you're also making a deep run in the CL all the way to the finals, and no team can carry 7-8 quality midfielders to make people like you happy, mainly because those 7th and 8th options are not going to come to a team knowing they're not going to play unless half the players in their position go down to injuries.

If you took 3 midfielders out of any City or United or Spurs, their bench would look dire as well.

Our lack of depth goes far beyond the midfield, and isn't isolated to just this season's injury crisis.  If even 1 of our front 3 goes down, we have no one capable of filling in.  Had Salah been injured for any lengthy spell this season, we wouldn't be in the top 4 nor the CL final.  By contrast, City's top scorer this season (Aguero) missed about 40% of the campaign through injury, yet they are the runaway Champions.  We were in 1st place at Christmas last season, but losing Mane to ACON for 1 month completely derailed our season.  If we actually want to win the league anytime soon, we need more quality and strength in depth. That's not me moaning -- it's a fact. 
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #95: May 10, 2018 04:03:37 am
      https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/13/liverpool-manager-Jürgen-klopp-says-squad-lacks-depth-going/amp/

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/255507-klopp-on-lfc-squad-depth-and-defensive-issues

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/07/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-signings-summer-keita

Here you go.  3 articles -- 1 from 2016, 1 from 2017, and 1 from 2018.  All 3 feature direct quotes from our manager about a lack of quality depth.  He has repeatedly commented on this is problem.  I just hope this summer he finally addresses it. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #96: May 10, 2018 07:08:23 am
      https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/13/liverpool-manager-Jürgen-klopp-says-squad-lacks-depth-going/amp/

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/255507-klopp-on-lfc-squad-depth-and-defensive-issues

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/07/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-transfer-signings-summer-keita

Here you go.  3 articles -- 1 from 2016, 1 from 2017, and 1 from 2018.  All 3 feature direct quotes from our manager about a lack of quality depth.  He has repeatedly commented on this is problem.  I just hope this summer he finally addresses it.

He doesn't have an unlimited budget.. he's working within one

He's chosen quality over squad depth. Buying a game changer like Virgil than 3 that aren't as good but will offer more cover

I like he's going for quality over quantity, it will just take longer to get true depth

If he could spend whatever he wanted I'm sure he would have addressed it by now
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #97: May 10, 2018 08:47:13 am
      Yeah, it's just incredibly sad that it's gotten to this point.  If we had gotten VVD last summer, and replaced Coutinho in January, we would likely be fighting for 2nd rather than 4th.  Not sure who to blame for this failure but I hope we finally show some ambition and address the squad deficiencies this summer. 

Sorry Harry but that’s undiluted bollocks. Get a grip.

UCL Final and needing a point for Champs League qualification for 2nd year in row for first time in 10 years is a triumph not a failure......

Especially with the thinness of squad.

God help you if Jürgen ever gets fed up because there’s not many would achieve this with the resources.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #98: May 10, 2018 09:12:15 am
      Sorry Harry but that’s undiluted bollocks. Get a grip.

UCL Final and needing a point for Champs League qualification for 2nd year in row for first time in 10 years is a triumph not a failure......

Especially with the thinness of squad.

God help you if Jürgen ever gets fed up because there’s not many would achieve this with the resources.

Would have bitten your hand off for that in August.

But as the season goes on, obviously Top 4 should have been secured weeks ago. Anyway, we only need a point and then its on to the biggest game of this club since 2007!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #99: May 10, 2018 09:33:17 am
      Squeaky bum time for this match.  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #100: May 10, 2018 10:18:47 am
      No matter what happens Sunday, we'll win the champions league.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #101: May 10, 2018 10:49:49 am

Not lost a home game in the league all season.
      Hardly anything to be worried about Brighton.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #102: May 10, 2018 11:08:29 am

Think we said the same against bottoms clubs and got fu**ed.  ;D We did you guys big favour at Brighton though as they don't have to go 100% all out now with being safe.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #103: May 10, 2018 11:24:07 am
      Think we said the same against bottoms clubs and got fu**ed.  ;D We did you guys big favour at Brighton though as they don't have to go 100% all out now with being safe.

Yeah but your mob have been fairly sh*t against the bottom teams all through this season, which is very un Man Utd.

It really is as simple as this, if we can't manage to at least get a draw at home against a fairly average team, with F**k all to play for, then we do not deserve to be in the Top 4.

Personally I think we are going to absolutely batter them and I actually fancy Newcastle to beat the chavs as well, they looked completely dejected at the end last night and they are probably already thinking about the FA Cup final.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #104: May 10, 2018 11:58:20 am

I wouldnt necessarily agree. Brighton were very adventurous at Etihad yesterday and City found it tough until Fernandinho scored the 3rd. Their downside is despite all the adventurism, the end product is meager.

We cant afford play in 2nd gear!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #105: May 10, 2018 12:34:07 pm

you dont need to be a Match of the day pundit to realise to challenge for a full season and be competitive to the end we are at least 4 or maybe even 5 players short. Just look at the gap between our first choice front three and then Solanke,Ings and Woodburn.
      If we seriously want to compete for 38 league games we have an awful lot of catching up to do.We have been very very lucky with our full backs lets not push it too far and start hoping for players to come through in large numbers because it aint going to happen.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #106: May 10, 2018 12:54:00 pm

Now why'd you have to go and say that?

;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #107: May 10, 2018 01:00:35 pm
      He doesn't have an unlimited budget.. he's working within one

He's chosen quality over squad depth. Buying a game changer like Virgil than 3 that aren't as good but will offer more cover

I like he's going for quality over quantity, it will just take longer to get true depth

If he could spend whatever he wanted I'm sure he would have addressed it by now

Yup.

Of the 25 first team players listed on the LFC official site, Klopp signed 9 of them. There are 13 others on loan, and of these Klopp only signed Marko Grujic. Then you have the injuries.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #108: May 10, 2018 01:14:36 pm
      Yeah but your mob have been fairly sh*t against the bottom teams all through this season, which is very un Man Utd.

It really is as simple as this, if we can't manage to at least get a draw at home against a fairly average team, with f**k all to play for, then we do not deserve to be in the Top 4.

Personally I think we are going to absolutely batter them and I actually fancy Newcastle to beat the chavs as well, they looked completely dejected at the end last night and they are probably already thinking about the FA Cup final.
      Yeah we've appeared to pick up the trate you had against the lower teams and now beating all the top teams in the last few months. Remarkable coincidence don't you think.  :D

I too agree, think you will batter them but still squeaky time till that first goal goes in. United do seem to struggle scoring goals against Brighton. Lets hope you lads have the same problem.  ;D

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #109: May 10, 2018 02:12:30 pm
      Yeah we've appeared to pick up the trate you had against the lower teams and now beating all the top teams in the last few months. Remarkable coincidence don't you think.  :D

I too agree, think you will batter them but still squeaky time till that first goal goes in. United do seem to struggle scoring goals against Brighton. Lets hope you lads have the same problem.  ;D

Go away Keith.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #110: May 10, 2018 03:05:50 pm
      Huddersfield did us a favour because from the 1st second, we're going through to Champions League. We need to be focused and passionate, nothing else.
      At the moment, I'm very busy with work :(

Come on Reds.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,418 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #111: May 10, 2018 05:16:05 pm

Bloody hell keith, what have you done ? Even the likes of rib and heimdall are being positive now, ever tried turning water into wine ?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #112: May 10, 2018 05:55:55 pm
      All I want to say is ... "May 89".
      What did we need to do to win the league that night v The Arse ?

Just not lose.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #113: May 10, 2018 07:01:36 pm
      I prefer 19/05/2001 need to win against Charlton to qualify for the CL and we won 4-0.
      I tend to forget the awful night and the sight of Michael Thomas doing his Salmon leaping impression at the Anfield Road End
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #114: May 10, 2018 07:44:38 pm
      We are playing at home not at Brighton and I seriously doubt Conte is going to rest anybody for that cup.
      How many times have we lost at home this season..?? We would need to lose, and Chelsea to win, any thing else we still hold on to four place.

So Conte would be setting his sights on the FA Cup, as it looks, Barring a miracle; that 4th spot is ours 

Quick Reply