Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Relegated clubs - who would you pinch??

Read 29980 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Relegated clubs - who would you pinch??
      Reply #69: May 21, 2018 01:44:04 pm

Is that a euphemism for something?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #70: May 21, 2018 02:45:35 pm
      Good shout. Arnautovic is an interesting one - when we played West Ham a couple of months back he was definitely the in form player (and probably one of the most in form players in the league). We did really well in stopping him from doing any damage although there were a couple of moments where on another day he would have got something. Really strong and powerful as well and would be an excellent player for us in many ways. But his attitude however is something I don't know about. I know he goaded Mark Hughes on the touchline a few weeks back and I'm not sure if Klopp would like that.

He's a bit of a maverick by most accounts. Pretty sure Mourinho called him 'unmanageable'. You'd like to think he would change for an opportunity like Liverpool but it never ceases to amaze me how that sort of thing rarely ever curbs their attitudes.

There's nobody in the relegated teams of any use to us really. Perhaps Livermore as sven further cover in the middle.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #71: May 21, 2018 02:55:17 pm

We definitely do.

I'd take Arnautovic here.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #72: May 24, 2018 09:02:07 am
      Even if Southampton are staying up I'd take a look at Oriol Romeu.

I Like the way he plays, no-nonsense. Impressive numbers (for the season) in terms of interceptions (5th) and tackles (7th). An upgrade defensively over what we have in that position.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #73: May 27, 2018 10:48:04 am
      we need to stop looking at these types of players now, we need elite players now.

and for every good or half decent player we have got from these types of teams we have a dozen failures
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #74: May 27, 2018 11:19:36 am
      we need to stop looking at these types of players now, we need elite players now.

and for every good or half decent player we have got from these types of teams we have a dozen failures

For every Mignolet , there is a Robertson.

I agree to an extent. our first 11 is pretty good, though the midfield is getting upgraded (with keita and hopefully Fekir) and hopefully a  new goalkeeper.

Defence has improved with VVD and Robertson.

We need a bigger squad with extra quality. We proved last night in the first 25 minutes we could go head to head with the very best.

I trust Klopp - his record in the transfer market is pretty good.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #75: May 27, 2018 01:48:06 pm
      For every Mignolet , there is a Robertson.

I agree to an extent. our first 11 is pretty good, though the midfield is getting upgraded (with keita and hopefully Fekir) and hopefully a  new goalkeeper.

Defence has improved with VVD and Robertson.

We need a bigger squad with extra quality. We proved last night in the first 25 minutes we could go head to head with the very best.

I trust Klopp - his record in the transfer market is pretty good.

our 1st 11 is pretty good, but we can vastly improve it as well, Keeper, Lovren, Central mid and our full backs have had good seasons, but im still worried about them - but i have much more faith in them improving than the likes of Lovren.

rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #76: May 28, 2018 11:13:19 pm
      Jonny Evans would be a massive upgrade on Ragnar and imho he is a better defender than Lovren.  He’s a leader and a very experienced international defender who has played at the highest level.  I think he would be a fantastic addition to the squad and I’m hoping that sooner or later Joe Gomez will get his opportunity in the centre also.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #77: May 29, 2018 08:53:18 am
      Jonny Evans would be a massive upgrade on Ragnar and imho he is a better defender than Lovren.  He’s a leader and a very experienced international defender who has played at the highest level.  I think he would be a fantastic addition to the squad and I’m hoping that sooner or later Joe Gomez will get his opportunity in the centre also.

He is on a par with Ragnar and nowhere near as good as Lovren.

Nothing like an upgrade and too old and slow.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #78: May 29, 2018 03:03:42 pm
      How about Jack Butland if available on the cheap?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #79: May 29, 2018 03:06:23 pm

F**k that, I'd rather stick with Ragnar & Matip as back up!!

Before we got VVD and we were panicking about defence then maybe, but now, not a chance.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: May 29, 2018 03:06:25 pm
      How about Jack Butland if available on the cheap?

100% yes if he is willing to be 3rd or 4th choice, £10k p/w wages and £5m to buy him!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #81: May 29, 2018 07:33:37 pm
      How's about Swansea's Fabianski as back up to our 'new' keeper?

Sure they got relegated but he was solid.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #82: May 30, 2018 07:18:54 pm
      He is on a par with Ragnar and nowhere near as good as Lovren.

Nothing like an upgrade and too old and slow.

I beg to differ,  Evans is a better defender than Lovren.  He’s proven it on the international stage as well as at club level.  Ferguson rated him highly,  Wenger did and Guardiola clearly wanted him also.  A lot of you are struggling to get past the fact that he used to be a Manc.  At Euro 2016 Jonny Evans was a real leader at the back for N Ireland and had  great tournament
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #83: May 30, 2018 07:41:45 pm

I beg to differ,  Evans is a better defender than Lovren.  He’s proven it on the international stage as well as at club level.  Ferguson rated him highly,  Wenger did and Guardiola clearly wanted him also.  A lot of you are struggling to get past the fact that he used to be a Manc.  At Euro 2016 Jonny Evans was a real leader at the back for N Ireland and had  great tournament

Differ away.

He still isn’t though. Nowhere near.

Evans is bang ordinary. The fact that he’s a manc is irrelevant to my assessment.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #84: May 30, 2018 07:44:55 pm
      I would only take Shaqiri from Stoke and Mawson from Swansea. They would be good squad additions.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #85: May 30, 2018 07:46:11 pm
      At this point with where we are, we needn't be shopping at relegated clubs. Let's weaken the stronger European clubs as much as we can, taking their top players.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #86: May 30, 2018 07:51:54 pm
      Differ away.

He still isn’t though. Nowhere near.

Evans is bang ordinary. The fact that he’s a manc is irrelevant to my assessment.

I think he's a bit better than ordinary but agree Lovren is a much better CB.

Lovren is a much better players than he gets credit for and as been said on here before it's when he makes a mistake and then dwells on it for the rest of the game where his biggest problem is.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2018 08:55:24 pm by srslfc »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #87: May 30, 2018 08:25:21 pm
      I think he's a bit better than ordinary bit agree Lovren is a much better CB.

Lovren is a much better players than he gets credit for and as been said on here before it's when he makes a mistake and then dwells on it for the rest of the game where his biggest problem is.

Are you accusing me of hyperbole in the course of a joust Si........?

How very dare you 😜

Aye ok - I’ll cede he’s a wholly competent. I’ve just never thought he was good enough to be first pick at a top club.....injuries aside.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #88: May 30, 2018 08:56:35 pm
      Are you accusing me of hyperbole in the course of a joust Si........?

How very dare you 😜

Aye ok - I’ll cede he’s a wholly competent. I’ve just never thought he was good enough to be first pick at a top club.....injuries aside.

Would I ever mate. ;D

It's all irrelevant though as I'm sure as I can be that Evans won't be anywhere on Jürgen's radar this summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #89: May 30, 2018 09:16:42 pm
      I would only take Shaqiri from Stoke and Mawson from Swansea. They would be good squad additions.

Depending on the keeper situation, if we're not buying a new no 1 and sticking with Karius, I'd have a look at Ben Foster as back up.

As I said depends on whether we decide to go with a new goalie.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #90: May 30, 2018 09:18:21 pm
      At this point with where we are, we needn't be shopping at relegated clubs.

Depends on the player we're looking for. Who knew Robbo was going to be a revelation and he came from a relegated club!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #91: May 30, 2018 10:07:56 pm
      Depends on the player we're looking for. Who knew Robbo was going to be a revelation and he came from a relegated club!!

True, but I’m getting at is that buying the best players from rivals (english or euopean) weakens them and strengthens us. And now we have the money and the stature to pull from anywhere.

Quick Reply