Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Read 172813 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,758 posts | 863 
      Re: Nabil Fekir (Lyon)
      Reply #667: Jun 12, 2018 07:58:16 am
      Knee contusion is an impact injury. It has nothing to do with what happened years back.

The one thing I fail to understand is if his knee is not good enough at £53M, what makes it better at £45M or less or whatever figure some people at Anfield chose to go with later.
      Exactly, if the risk is there then you just pull out and call it a failed medical or if you want to protect the player you just call it a ''dead end in the negotiations'' that lead to us calling it a day.

The whole thing looks bad and tarnishes our reputation possibly making future negotiations with other teams harder for no reason.
      Kopite78
      Reply #668: Jun 12, 2018 08:00:07 am
      Knee contusion is an impact injury. It has nothing to do with what happened years back.

The one thing I fail to understand is if his knee is not good enough at £53M, what makes it better at £45M or less or whatever figure some people at Anfield chose to go with later.

The talk is, and is the only thing that makes sense is that the two opinions the club has had on the medical surrounding the knee is what's been left following the surgery from the initial injury, I read that the initial scan post surgery and the scan taken last week shows significant change again around the knee

Basically they can't be sure but the opinion of the two surgeons opinion is his knee has a high chance again of giving up on him.

So it's nothing to do with missing 10 games since it's to do with what may happen in the future.
      The tissue around the knee

As for whatever the second bid was, if there was one... would be more to do with the structure of it.
      The initial deal may well have been 52m but the talk was 48 in initial payments which are likely to be in two or three instalments over 2 or 3 years with the action of 4 based on certain stipulations such as qualifying for the champions league again or league appearances... whatever

The second offer could have been something like
      45m total. But only say 25 up front and the rest if he doesn't suffer injury over the length of the contract and if he does then the rest won't need to be paid which would make up for the shortfall on us no doubt not being able to get him the level of insurance we would need on that knee.
      Every player is insured but like if your house is in a flood plain your insurance company will either not insure you against flooding or charge you ridiculous premiums
      The same with Fekir and his knee.. so we would ask Lyon to make up that shortfall in risk

If he moves this summer still you can guarantee it wont be on the deal that has been suggested before this came up

People have mentioned Lallana and  but he doesn't require another medical and hasn't had career threatening injuries, more muscle stains etc..
      Sturridge? Well you can guarantee if we want to move him then a fee is almost out of the question due to the same risks for buying clubs and insurance. He will also almost inevitably have to take a pay as you play deal with a low basic because clubs will see his risk. Which is also another reason he won't leave this summer because his last year of his deal here (120k) won't be replicated anywhere else. We would have to pay a portion of it to get him off the books
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #669: Jun 12, 2018 08:22:52 am
      It's possible we tried to restructure the deal based on the contusion not being fully healed, it is also possible we tried to restructure the deal due to the higher risk of susceptibility his knee has attained due to the ligament damage.

Whatever it is we don't know. There is a reason for it and Klopp would have pushed this through anyway if he really wanted it. Seems to me like a well thought out decision involving all aspects of the Club.

As much as i would love to have Fekir here i am not that bothered really as i know we have a manager who is capable of attracting the top players in the world, well, at least the ones we can afford. The only thing holding us back is finances, everything else is in place for success.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #670: Jun 12, 2018 08:37:55 am
      Better not to buy him if he is injury prone,the last thing we want is another Harry Kewell.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #671: Jun 12, 2018 08:48:34 am
      Seemed too good to be true. Always is with this club these days. Surely we knew of this knee issue well in advance!

And if we were willing to pay a little less, then just F***ing pay what was already agreed. Amateur from the club.
      Kopite78
      Reply #672: Jun 12, 2018 08:58:11 am
      Seemed too good to be true. Always is with this club these days. Surely we knew of this knee issue well in advance!

Yes but not the residual damage until you see a scan. Some heal better than others

And if we were willing to pay a little less, then just f**king pay what was already agreed. Amateur from the club.

It won't be a little less it will be completely restructured so that it covers us against his knee failing as must have been seen as a risk in the scan

I've been critical of the club at times but I can't see criticism here.

We've seen an issue and decided it was too big a financial risk as the deal stood.
      We could have gone public throwing the lad under a bus saying his knee is fu**ed but we haven't, we've not said a thing as to protect the player publically

I can't see how it's amateur from the club, that's what medicals are for and we've also been professional in keeping quiet publically

We will move on and sign someone else.. just need to relax
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #673: Jun 12, 2018 09:28:43 am

And if we were willing to pay a little less, then just f**king pay what was already agreed. Amateur from the club.

Well amazingly enough we probably did not know the full extent of his knee injury until we did the medical, hence doing a F***ing medical!!! Bloody hell why are some of you so desperate and determined to twist this around to make it look like the club's fault.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #674: Jun 12, 2018 09:31:25 am
      Yes but not the residual damage until you see a scan. Some heal better than others

It won't be a little less it will be completely restructured so that it covers us against his knee failing as must have been seen as a risk in the scan

We've seen an issue and decided it was too big a financial risk as the deal stood.
      We could have gone public throwing the lad under a bus saying his knee is fu**ed but we haven't, we've not said a thing as to protect the player publically

I can't see how it's amateur from the club, that's what medicals are for and we've also been professional in keeping quiet publically

100% agree, there is nothing amateur here, amateur is signing a player who you have genuine question marks about who then breaks down and you are left paying his wages for 5 years, whilst fans like PGlynn91 whinge and whine about how sh*t the medical was and why it wasn't spotted! I alos like the fact that the club has been very diplomatic about it.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #675: Jun 12, 2018 10:13:44 am
      Maybe just avoid any player that has done is cruciate in from now on!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #676: Jun 12, 2018 10:56:13 am
      No blame on FSG by me either ,at the end of the day our medical staff done his medical and advised all concerned accordingly,for me it was just rotten luck ,And as a few have pointed out the last thing we want is another lemon on our books I.E studge,we've also seen what knee injuries can do to a player
      look no further than Danny ings,the last thing we want are players who spend more time in the treatmeant room then they do on the pitch.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #677: Jun 12, 2018 11:34:54 am
      Maybe just avoid any player that has done is cruciate in from now on!

Not a bad strategy as I don't think any player can ever play at 100% the level pre cruciate again after the injury.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #678: Jun 12, 2018 11:48:00 am
      Better not to buy him if he is injury prone,the last thing we want is another Harry Kewell.

Hey! Harry Kewell has a CL winners medal! Bet Fekir and LFC would mind one of those right now. :D
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #679: Jun 12, 2018 05:49:33 pm
      Hey! Harry Kewell has a CL winners medal! Bet Fekir and LFC would mind one of those right now. :D

Kewell got it by default. He was off for the famous comeback.

Re Shaqiri. I wouldn't mind getting him s he is a little terrier of a player with mucho cojones, to go with his skill. We tried to buy him when he left Basle but Bayern beat us to it. If we get him, Anfield will have to build a mosque as he's a muslim like Mo.
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2018 07:17:27 pm by Fourbrick »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #680: Jun 12, 2018 06:06:33 pm
      Both. Liverpool walked away without announcement, but rumoured to be due to fitness concerns raised in the medical, then Lyon, presumably to save value on the player, made the statement that they had pulled the plug.

That was a gamble that paid off. The big question is whether we're in a position were we can afford to take such gambles now? Chelsea are in a state, Arenal are rebuilding, we need to further consolidate our position as a Champions League regular and not every gamble is going to pay off. I'm sure there are other good players out there we can sign this Summer.

It should be THIS season that we are contending for all major honors. 2 1/2 seasons is enough time to build the squad he wants. I'm sure he goes into this season with the idea of winning.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #681: Jun 12, 2018 06:11:45 pm

Would you agree that this was probably influence at least a bit by them spending 40 million on Ox and now looking at not having him for at least half the season. I have no idea if something was missed there, it may have had nothing to do with previous condition, but it's fair for those paying the bills to be a little gunshy about adding to the ranks of those getting paid (and paid for) and going long periods with nothing in return.

In the end, it just comes down to how sound the evaluations are, and then the ability to make the right executive decision.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #682: Jun 12, 2018 06:17:10 pm
      Well amazingly enough we probably did not know the full extent of his knee injury until we did the medical, hence doing a f**king medical!!! Bloody hell why are some of you so desperate and determined to twist this around to make it look like the club's fault.

Should have got uri geller to try to heal fekir with the power of positive thinking
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #683: Jun 12, 2018 07:11:00 pm
      I think the Club as a whole have to be commended on the way they have handled this pursuit. It was pure in intention and clinical in its finality. We saw a possible problem and we walked away, that's how it should be. We don't have the money to take chances on players.

Pulisic or Draxler?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #684: Jun 12, 2018 09:34:57 pm
      Lets say you were buying a house and the survey comes back saying there are some issues, they are fixable but will cost a bit of money. Now you like the house a lot but it will cost you more than you originally thought to be able to live in the house, would you not try to lower the asking price, it's really not that unreasonable is it. in this case it was just a case of restructuring the payments so less up front and more based on appearances so not that bad, assuming his knee is ok and he plays for us then Lyon still get their money.
      This analogy makes it hard to disagree with you.. (Damn!! Damn you to Hell) ;D.... When you're right, you're right...
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #685: Jun 13, 2018 09:37:01 am
      Should have got uri geller to try to heal fekir with the power of positive thinking

Collective thoughts and prayers from LFC supporters would help
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #686: Jun 13, 2018 11:54:35 am
      Missed the last ten pages as his medical unfolded...

My two cents;

If his medical raised enough concern to pull the plug - especially with the injury being an ACL - then I don’t think there can be many complaints from fans.

But trust our fans to complain... Twitter is a cesspit of spoilt adult men crying.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #687: Jun 13, 2018 12:01:36 pm
      With the sums of money involved in Transfers these days you just cant take any chances so if there is any risk whatsoever the club have done the right thing.
      Lyon trying to say it was they who stopped the deal hoping nobody else will spot the problem isn't going to work is it.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #688: Jun 13, 2018 04:33:21 pm
      If his medical raised enough concern to pull the plug - especially with the injury being an ACL - then I don’t think there can be many complaints from fans.

But trust our fans to complain... Twitter is a cesspit of spoilt adult men crying.

So it's like buying a used sports car, one of the fastest around but with a some worn out irreplaceable parts. If our mechanics determine that the useful life of this use car is not worth the money, will those crying men still insist on paying the full price for it?

It depends if they're paying for it themselves or someone else is paying for it right? So it's easy to understand why they're crying. They just want the car regardless of the price because they ain't putting up a cent for it!

How easy is it to cry and disregard other important things. But really it takes understanding other parts of the entire deal to fully comprehend how each buyer or seller arrived at the outcome of the transaction.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #689: Jun 13, 2018 07:54:33 pm
      So it's like buying a used sports car, one of the fastest around but with a some worn out irreplaceable parts. If our mechanics determine that the useful life of this use car is not worth the money, will those crying men still insist on paying the full price for it?

It depends if they're paying for it themselves or someone else is paying for it right? So it's easy to understand why they're crying. They just want the car regardless of the price because they ain't putting up a cent for it!

How easy is it to cry and disregard other important things. But really it takes understanding other parts of the entire deal to fully comprehend how each buyer or seller arrived at the outcome of the transaction.

Its all well and good in some theories i have read in this thread. A house and now a car. The thing is that we are talking about a human being here and biology is complex. He have played fair amount of games for Lyon for last couple of seasons.

If we backed off because of the medical, fair enough. I understand that we didnt want to take the risk because it all boils down to taking a risk with the money.
      Remember a decade back united bought a teenager for crazy amount of money. Ronaldo. thats also some kind of risk.
      If Fekir keeps performing like he has then some other team will come and pick him up. In transfers, there is always a risk. With some signings there are more risk then others.

But if the people who make desicions, dont want to take the risk then i wont boo them but cant help being a bit dissapointed. I watch bit Ligue 1, (psg, monaco, lyon and marsielle games) and Nabil is quality.

What im trying to say is i understand that people are dissapointed like me, and there is no way knowing if the fekir transfer would have turned good or not. its just a risk we werent willing to take.

Quick Reply