Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Read 167792 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Re: Nabil Fekir (Lyon)
      Reply #966: Jul 18, 2018 06:47:20 pm
      I think that the Fekir deal is done and dusted (hence why you see nobody else in for him)...Klopp isn't stupid and neither is the club, if they thought it was going to harm future deals they would have sat on the info until after the window closed.

That is my hope and what i trust will happen. Ending the summer with both Fekir AND Alisson would be fantastic, but if it ends up being Alison at the cost of Fekir i think that'd be disastrous for next season's title / trophy aspirations. We just would not have the (quality) depth.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #967: Jul 18, 2018 06:52:21 pm
      I think that the Fekir deal is done and dusted (hence why you see nobody else in for him)...Klopp isn't stupid and neither is the club, if they thought it was going to harm future deals they would have sat on the info until after the window closed.

Yes. I believe we hold the cards. Fekir is at his peak valuation and Lyon has to sell now to realise it.

Fekir has been flogged to other clubs but there's no interest and he wouldn't move to other clubs either.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #968: Jul 18, 2018 07:34:18 pm
      Correct, but i think the timing of the Ox announcement is odd because it puts us at a disadvantage at the bargaining table, be it Fekir or someone else, because now teams know we HAVE to get another player. Then again, we listened to the panic and almost doubled the record fee for a goalie with clear flaws and only 1 good season, so who knows.

I don’t think so. Fekir looks more like a 10 to me. A direct replacement for Coutinho rather than Ox in my book. Hopefully the deal might still get resurrected because as you say we still need more depth (with or without the Ox)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #969: Jul 18, 2018 07:40:22 pm
      I don’t think so. Fekir looks more like a 10 to me. A direct replacement for Coutinho rather than Ox in my book. Hopefully the deal might still get resurrected because as you say we still need more depth (with or without the Ox)

Both Fekir and Shaquiri will be covering mid/front..that's versatility in both are going to really give Jürgen the opportunity to move the pieces around before/during matches.

Have a feeling we are going to be much harder to figure out this season compared to last.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #970: Jul 18, 2018 08:55:53 pm
      Ox's news is why the club wanna make sure the #10 player they target is an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT fit! Probably why the hesitation in signing someone with historical knee issues. 100% behind Edwards & Jürgen if they decide Fekir will be a risky signing and decide to move on. But if they do, I hope they did have someone in mind apart from Lanzini.

Having said that, I hope and pray that Fekir would be fit as a fiddle and turns out to be a masterstroke for us!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #971: Jul 18, 2018 09:13:04 pm
      But but James Pearce said it’s unlikey. You know, that guy just guesses as much as us these days, I’m sure of it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #972: Jul 18, 2018 09:39:06 pm
      With Ox out for so long will Liverpool take the chance over Fekirs fitness ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #973: Jul 18, 2018 09:46:15 pm
      With Ox out for so long will Liverpool take the chance over Fekirs fitness ?
      What chance? He played a full season at Lyon then played in the WC.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #974: Jul 18, 2018 09:58:54 pm
      Sick of Liverpool being so reluctant to buy players...

Get this done already.  :f_tongueincheek:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #975: Jul 18, 2018 10:56:39 pm
      Dom King saying Allison is the last signing we will make unless something drastically changes.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #976: Jul 18, 2018 10:56:51 pm
      What chance? He played a full season at Lyon then played in the WC.

Actually he missed 6 weeks in the spring with another knee injury.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be fit enough to sign, but there is some reason to be cautious.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #977: Jul 18, 2018 10:58:32 pm
      Dom King saying Allison is the last signing we will make unless something drastically changes.

Jürgen must have a lot of faith in the back up for the front three then.

Still think we're a player light there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #978: Jul 18, 2018 11:05:40 pm

I just read the article in the Daily Mail. I think Klopp's comments leave more room for further incoming than the way King seems to interpret them. He talks about building and developing being just as/more important than buying, and that is nothing new from him. He also says he doesn't want to wait until the very end of the window, but that is still 23 days away so there is time.

Saying that, I do think if he is still planning to bring Fekir in, he is hiding it incredibly well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #979: Jul 19, 2018 12:25:41 am

As much as we’ve spent we still need at least one more, especially with the Ox news.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #980: Jul 19, 2018 01:39:14 am
      As much as we’ve spent we still need at least one more, especially with the Ox news.

We still have Gini and Milner, they are going nowhere and with Fab, Keita and Shaqiri joining, I don't see the need to add another midfielder. Especially with Keita and Shaqiri.being able to operate in central attacking position.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #981: Jul 19, 2018 02:11:41 am

I think it may just be the case of either Fekir or make do, so yeah hopefully the former haha. A lot will depend on any further injuries, I guess.

I mean, we can still field a midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Hendo, with rotational play from Lallana, Gini, and Milner. We'll definitely miss Ox's explosiveness from midfield though, especially in the big games where we look to counterpress high up the pitch and actually have room to attack into.

If we sell a few of Mignolet, Markovic, Ings, Origi etc we may get another versatile attacking mid/front three rotational player though.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #982: Jul 19, 2018 02:58:46 am
      I mean, we can still field a midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Hendo, with rotational play from Lallana, Gini, and Milner. We'll definitely miss Ox's explosiveness from midfield though, especially in the big games where we look to counterpress high up the pitch and actually have room to attack into.

Ah see, finally you talk sense now. I forgot to add Lallana into the midfield mix. So yes, basically we're doing fine without a proper no. 10 and that position is well covered. We scored lots of goals without Coutinho last season anyway.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #983: Jul 19, 2018 03:12:07 am
      I think it may just be the case of either Fekir or make do, so yeah hopefully the former haha. A lot will depend on any further injuries, I guess.

If we sell a few of Mignolet, Markovic, Ings, Origi etc we may get another versatile attacking mid/front three rotational player though.

Lallana was Ox before we had Ox.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #984: Jul 19, 2018 03:22:41 am
      Ah see, finally you talk sense now. I forgot to add Lallana into the midfield mix. So yes, basically we're doing fine without a proper no. 10 and that position is well covered. We scored lots of goals without Coutinho last season anyway.

Finally haha. With your people skills, I can see why it's taking a while for you to get back into the positive.

We're "fine" in the sense that we have the bodies. I still have some doubts that we'll be able to consistently unlock parked buses without a Coutinho replacement of Fekir's quality. Turning those draws against lesser teams into wins is probably our biggest challenge. Keita and Lallana combined may be enough with Fabinho recycling possession rather than Hendo, but I'd have to see it working enough to be convinced. They're definitely no De Bruyne and Silva.

We may end up experimenting with two holding midfielders in those games, and Shaqiri in behind the front three in a more traditional #10 role, and just let that fluid front four and wing backs hack at parked defences, with one of the two holding mids making an occasional run from deep.

We'll see. Hoping we manage to offload at least Mignolet and Markovic now.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #985: Jul 19, 2018 03:26:36 am

Certainly. Less explosive, but more tricky version. Unlike many others here, I haven't given up on him at all. I just think we still need a Fekir for the teams that truly park against us. I'm not convinced Lallana, Keita, or Ox have it in them to consistently unlock those defences. I have no issues with our current mids in our system against the good teams that attempt to play.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #986: Jul 19, 2018 04:53:42 am
      As I had stated in my previous post, Fekir will not happen. Shaqiri was purchased in lieu of Fekir.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #987: Jul 19, 2018 06:32:55 am
      Huge mistake if we walk away IMO, still wouldn’t have replaced Coutinho.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #988: Jul 19, 2018 06:39:52 am
      Huge mistake if we walk away IMO, still wouldn’t have replaced Coutinho.

Yepp, a lot of teams come to anfield to sit back and win a point. Then we struggle to break them open. Last season Salah had incredible run, this season it is going to be. Ore difficult to him. Defenders gonna cover his left foot and not let him take a shot.
      we need somebody who takes some pressure off Salah. We need a magician.

Quick Reply