Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Read 166344 times
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Re: Nabil Fekir (Lyon)
      Reply #1242: Jul 26, 2018 08:43:05 pm
      Jürgen tell you this whilst you were doing the pitch lad? 🙄

Hey man.  Don’t shoot the messenger.  I just asked a couple of the reporters that were there.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1243: Jul 26, 2018 08:58:37 pm
      Hey man.  Don’t shoot the messenger.  I just asked a couple of the reporters that were there.

And I'm sure they just brushed you off with an easy line 👍
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1244: Jul 26, 2018 10:12:10 pm
      On taking a gamble on a dodgy knee..

Fergie paid a British record fee of £19 million at the time for Van Nistelrooy...it paid off well for all concerned..

I don't buy the you cannot comeback from a knee injury & not perform to the highest level.

he waited for 12 months to sign him to see if his knees where ok if I remember correctly he didn't take a chance on him until he had played a full season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1245: Jul 26, 2018 10:57:11 pm
      he waited for 12 months to sign him to see if his knees where ok if I remember correctly he didn't take a chance on him until he had played a full season

That was because Ruud was out with a long term injury at the time when Ferguson originally wanted to buy him
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1246: Jul 26, 2018 11:03:16 pm
      That was because Ruud was out with a long term injury at the time when Ferguson originally wanted to buy him

that's why he waited 12 months to see if he was over his injuries. With Fekir it different he is over his injuries but clearly something has showed up to cast doubt on his long term prospects
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1247: Jul 26, 2018 11:40:20 pm

Was going to sign him but he done his cruciate in training so waited till the following season..
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1248: Jul 27, 2018 12:31:25 am
      After one of the best windows in transfer history, the same bullshit is being spouted and our manager having his hands tied in the market.

We bought two midfielders for £100m combined. If Fekir was that vital for Klopp, we would’ve got him before either of Keita or Fab. We could still get him. But f**k...people will never be happy.

Except I have never been an FSG hater and have always taken a balanced approach to criticism. I call it as I see it. We are interested in a player, despite the failed medical according to all reports. We then decide to go after a Goalkeeper who costs a whopping £66.9 million and then all those same sources, all credible, say we're no longer interested in Fekir, and then Klopp comes out and say he doesn't expect any more incomings this Summer. If you want blinkers on fine but it's obvious to anyone with a brain that the Alisson deal was at a price that precluded any further transfer business this Summer.

Just for the record, I do not blame FSG one bit for not going in for anyone else after shelling out that much on a keeper and applaud them for their spending over the last two years. I even said a few days ago that despite not thinking Alisson is worth anywhere near that fee, it's nice that we're back to shopping in Harrods after years of shopping in Aldi.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1249: Jul 27, 2018 02:52:59 am
      I don’t necessarily blame them but I want to see another top class CB come in and another top class CAM. 

If they do that than this window will be complete.

Pulisic would be a dream signing and would tie in well with being the American star they are looking for.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1250: Jul 27, 2018 03:01:44 am
      Except I have never been an FSG hater and have always taken a balanced approach to criticism. I call it as I see it. We are interested in a player, despite the failed medical according to all reports. We then decide to go after a Goalkeeper who costs a whopping £66.9 million and then all those same sources, all credible, say we're no longer interested in Fekir, and then Klopp comes out and say he doesn't expect any more incomings this Summer. If you want blinkers on fine but it's obvious to anyone with a brain that the Alisson deal was at a price that precluded any further transfer business this Summer.

Just for the record, I do not blame FSG one bit for not going in for anyone else after shelling out that much on a keeper and applaud them for their spending over the last two years. I even said a few days ago that despite not thinking Alisson is worth anywhere near that fee, it's nice that we're back to shopping in Harrods after years of shopping in Aldi.

Two problems with this (both  highlighted).

1. There were some reports at the time saying LFC had pulled out and was not interested in reviving/renegotiating the deal once the knee concerns were drawn from the medical (not a failed medical, per se). It was muted compared to all the typical British football press noise, which has managed to drive copy for the better part of two months. The club has said nothing and some have said it was off - period. Not "all reports."

2. That phrasing is just saying something loudly, which doesn't prove anything. No, it's not "obvious to anyone." Some people do disagree with you on this. I've been back and forth a little bit, largely because of the incessant press narrative saying something could still happen (supported on here), but in fact I've seen nothing authoritative/sourced to indicate anything about us still being in for Fekir.

Now whether we would have gone for Allison anyway I cannot say. I do think there possibly have been additional concerns from Klopp about Karius since he returned for preseason (not so much mistakes in friendlies, but I think overall disposition) - but granted, this is an opinion. If Klopp changed his mind or simply decided later on to go after Allison, it doesn't contradict his decision to support Karius because I think he does that for his players consistently, and likely would at least like him to be the #2.

But there is room for disagreement on the progression of these deals. It's not a slam dunk.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1251: Jul 27, 2018 03:05:40 am
      OH you mean like how they keep smashing the records in buying the most expensive defender and goalkeeper, yeah I suppose you are right.
      Look we all know they aren't an oligarch or Oil Sheik with infinite money but this argument that they don't invest is really becoming a bit silly now.

Bottom line with player sales I think we are going to be plus £30m at least so IF Jürgen wants to buy another player then we will, but if we don't then don't pin it on FSG pin it on the fact that Jürgen did not want to.

It's not silly though is it.

Under their ownership, they have only ever re-invested the money we've made from player sales. You have listed the players we've bought with the coutinho money in your previous post. Now it looks like we're done.

Thats despite having the money from the tv deals and from securing champions league football two years running (plus reaching the final). We are absolutely minted yet we are still only signing players with the money we make from sales.

It's been a great window so far but it's obvious to me that we had a chunk of the countino money left to spend and we had two options, sign a keeper or sign a new shiny number 10. Originally we wanted the new number 10 and at that time klopp came out and voiced his support for Karius.   

But then Karius continued to make mistakes in pre season games and we weren't happy with fekirs medical either so our priorities changed. We've now spent the remaining money on a keeper and there will be no new number 10 coming in this window.

If you think that's all klopps doing then i find that a little naive.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1252: Jul 27, 2018 03:58:37 am

Under their ownership, they have only ever re-invested the money we've made from player sales. You have listed the players we've bought with the coutinho money in your previous post. Now it looks like we're done.

Thats despite having the money from the tv deals and from securing champions league football two years running (plus reaching the final). We are absolutely minted yet we are still only signing players with the money we make from sales.

It's been a great window so far but it's obvious to me that we had a chunk of the countino money left to spend and we had two options, sign a keeper or sign a new shiny number 10. Originally we wanted the new number 10 and at that time klopp came out and voiced his support for Karius.   

But then Karius continued to make mistakes in pre season games and we weren't happy with fekirs medical either so our priorities changed. We've now spent the remaining money on a keeper and there will be no new number 10 coming in this window.

I do think, however, that both club and manager agree that they don't want senior players hanging around the club if they can't be registered for PL and CL squads. I think as soon as we move on a few of the apparently listed players (like Mignolet, Markovic, Ings, Origi etc), we may go back in for another player (two max). Because if we don't sell these players (or find appropriate loan then buy options), one or two will likely be reintroduced in those squads, rather than languish in the reserves (something we couldn't do if we bought more players now).

I know it perhaps lacks the ambition of other clubs, but I just don't think Klopp is one to operate too ruthlessly on a personal level, nor the club yet ready to push the finances too much too soon. I agree to an extent, as long as it doesn't mean we're missing out on legitimate targets as we wait to offload. For example, Malcom could have been a great signing for us. We are still unsure (despite the mass speculation) about why we haven't signed Fekir.

But yes, despite the great transfer window so far, considering the Coutinho, TV, and CL money, we haven't really been particularly aggressive. But not as awful as some make out. Below is our transfer business since the beginning of last year's transfer window (and please note that Coutinho's figure is low because he has yet to trigger most of his add-ons).

IN (TOTAL): 315.205m
      Van Dijk: 70.92m
      Alisson: 56.25m
      Keita: 54.0m
      Fabinho: 40.5m
      Salah: 37.8m
      Ox: 34.2m
      Shaqiri: 13.23m
      Robertson: 8.1m
      Gallacher: 205k

OUT: 160.47m
      Coutinho: 112.5+m
      Sakho: 25.38m
      Ward: 12.6+m
      Origi (loan): 5.85m
      Sturridge (loan): 2.07m
      Wisdom: 2.07+m

NET SPEND: 154.735m (compared to, say, Man Utd at about 190m for same period)
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018 04:16:42 am by GegenPressClub »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1253: Jul 27, 2018 09:24:54 am
      After one of the best windows in transfer history, the same bullshit is being spouted and our manager having his hands tied in the market.

We bought two midfielders for £100m combined. If Fekir was that vital for Klopp, we would’ve got him before either of Keita or Fab. We could still get him. But F**k...people will never be happy.

"After one of the best windows in transfer history" would that be a reference to football in general, the PL or the last 8 frustrating, wasted years of the don't have a clue owners??
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1254: Jul 27, 2018 09:29:40 am
      "After one of the best windows in transfer history" would that be a reference to football in general, the PL or the last 8 frustrating, wasted years of the don't have a clue owners??

I'd personally say its in reference to all transfer windows Liverpool have ever had, we have identified and corrected pretty much all the gaps we had from last season, we now have a top DM, a top CM, a top GK and what I predict turn out to be a very useful extra winger/AM.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1255: Jul 27, 2018 01:28:33 pm
      I'd personally say its in reference to all transfer windows Liverpool have ever had, we have identified and corrected pretty much all the gaps we had from last season, we now have a top DM, a top CM, a top GK and what I predict turn out to be a very useful extra winger/AM.

Well that's a tad bit hyperbolic then!!

Don't think we'll ever have a summer like 1987 when Beardsley and Barnes walked into Melwood, Aldo already here and Houghton following and thus the dream team was born.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1256: Jul 27, 2018 01:30:23 pm
      Well that's a tad bit hyperbolic then!!

Don't think we'll ever have a summer like 1987 when Beardsley and Barnes walked into Melwood, Aldo already here and Houghton following and thus the dream team was born.

Sorry I phrased it a bit wrong I didn't mean the best one ever, but I'd certainly put it in the top5, and without question the best one under FSG.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1257: Jul 27, 2018 01:34:21 pm
      Sorry I phrased it a bit wrong I didn't mean the best one ever, but I'd certainly put it in the top5, and without question the best one under FSG.

I'm not commenting on this summers transfer activity until at least christmas :laugh: touching wood, keeping fingers crossed etc I'm not shouting my mouth off yet, just trying to be quietly confident.

But as you say we've definitely identified areas of concern and addressed it.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1258: Jul 27, 2018 02:37:29 pm

Man, Edwards is really good at stretching that Coutinho money. Last season the Coutinho sale is how we paid for Ox, Salah and Van Dijk, and after all that we STILL have money left to pay for Alisson.

Somehow Edwards managed to take 110M+ from Coutinho (before add-ons he has not yet trigged) and turned it into 220M+. What a job squeezing every penny out of that transfer!
      Kopite78
      Reply #1259: Jul 27, 2018 02:40:15 pm
      Man, Edwards is really good at stretching that Coutinho money. Last season the Coutinho sale is how we paid for Ox, Salah and Van Dijk, and after all that we STILL have money left to pay for Alisson.

Somehow Edwards managed to take 110M+ from Coutinho (before add-ons he has not yet trigged) and turned it into 220M+. What a job squeezing every penny out of that transfer!

Literally every one of those were signed before we sold coutinho

And it's nice how you take the base line figure on coutinho but not with the incomings 😂
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1260: Jul 27, 2018 02:44:01 pm

Nice twist to suit your own narrative there. Completely wrong though.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1261: Jul 27, 2018 02:44:06 pm
      Literally every one of those were signed before we sold coutinho

And it's nice how you take the base line figure on coutinho but not with the incomings 😂

I know, but we only did because FSG knew they were going to get their money back by selling Coutinho!

Every time we make a purchase, the Coutinho money always comes out as the reason for being able to pay for it. At some point that excuse has to end, but comically enough it doesn't.

If/when we make other transfers in the winter window i am sure Phil's transfer will be brought up again.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1262: Jul 27, 2018 03:00:04 pm
      oops

There is a body of evidence to show we spend no more than 30m net per year
      The owners laid out their plan from day one

It's stupid to deny it

Kopite78
      Reply #1263: Jul 27, 2018 03:06:18 pm

Oops what?
      They laid that out from day one

Can't see much has changed personally

Edit
      Up until the end 2017

In
      568m
      Out
      405m

Net
      163m

23.2m per year

That doesn't include Naby or any business since January 2018

Since then
      In
      233m
      Out
      153m

Net 80m

You could put Naby where ever but the end is still the same

Add 2018 to the rest

Net of 244m

Or 30.5m per year

Hopefully we go on to add the one extra I think we need this window but I can't see it looking at the figures

And I'm not having a go at them it's simply what they said and the figures ultimately and roughly stack it up
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018 03:22:35 pm by Kopite78 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1264: Jul 27, 2018 07:23:42 pm

You've just made yourself look like a right tit.

Quick Reply