Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion

Read 25085 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      May 14, 2018 05:11:41 pm
      I know we have the biggest of matches remaining, and that we discuss specific transfers on another board, but I thought it would be worthwhile to begin a discussion about our squad going forward. The opinions are mine, but when we consider this or that player you really have to consider it in context of the whole group - rather than just say "bin player X" without considering if there's someone better, if Klopp seems likely to bin him, etc. I appreciate your feedback.

Goalkeeper
      Returning First Choice – Loris Karius (Loris has kept the #1 jersey for a few months. Not sure Klopp has decided that he is the man).

New Arrivals: See Above. I don’t think Allison or any such high-priced player is happening, but someone younger to compete for starting job or a veteran to serve as the backup is more likely).

Departures: Simon Mignolet (will leave for first team football); Adam Bogdan.

Others: Danny Ward  (Turns 25 next month. Not sure if he will be considered as the #2 when Simon leaves. If he is, probably no new senior arrival here).

Youth/Reserves: Caoimin Kelleher, Shamal George, Kamil Grabara – (all are supposedly promising, but I doubt any see first team action next season); Also have a trialist from St. Johnston named Ross Sinclair currently in.

Outside Back
      Returning First Choice – Trent Alexander-Arnold (right back); Andy Robertson (left back) – both had a huge impact in Liverpool’s gegenpressing and fast-paced attack. There is room to improve defensively, especially for Trent, but I fully expect both to be starting regularly.

New Arrivals: ? (doubt it)

Departures (I expect Joe Gomez will be used more exclusively as a center back next season. Still, he can provide cover anywhere); Connor Randall, Jon Flanagan.

Others: Nathaniel Clyne (injured most of this season. He’s only 27 so it would be great to have such an experienced player around, and with all the matches he should get a good bit of first team football, especially in August, the festive season and if we make another deep Champions League run); Alberto Moreno – I actually read we are negotiating a new contract for him. If he’s willing to remain in a backup role, certainly he would bring more experience than many we might find for that position.

Youth/Reserves:  Juanma, Anderson Arroyo, Adam Lewis

Central Defense
      Returning First Choice – Virgil Van Dijk (fixture on the left side); Dejan Lovren (bit of a lightning rod as he can be very impressive or shockingly bad – mostly he’s been good with two main exceptions, Spurs and Man U away).

New Arrivals: ? (I would like to see a top-quality center back to partner Virgil, but we will see).

Departures: Maybe 32-year old Ragnar Klavan, but we are supposedly negotiating a new deal for him;

Others: Joel Matip (was first choice in 16-17 but suffered a dip in form and then injury. If fit he definitely upgrades the quality level at this position and should play a lot of first team football); Joe Gomez (not ready to start yet, but Klopp makes clear this is his preferred position); Klavan (strictly cover, but reliable).

Youth/Reserves: Conor Masterson (turns 20 in September, wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a loan similar to other young Reds this season); George Johnston, Nathaniel Phillips.

Central Midfield
      Returning First Choice
      – Jordan Henderson (takes a lot of abuse but Klopp seems to like him), James Milner (a warrior who has shown some skill for us despite limited athleticism), Gini Wijnaldum (runs a bit hot and cold, could he be our new #6 d-mid?);

New Arrivals: Naby Keita (won’t be a d-mid and won’t really be an a-mid, but a two-way midfielder – should definitely displace someone in the starting XI but this season has shown we really need extra players everywhere to properly compete; Nabil Fekir (especially with Chamberlain’s injury, a dynamic a-mid player – and they don’t come cheaply – will probably be a transfer priority); possibly a more defensively-oriented midfielder

Departures: Emre Can (guess he just didn’t want to stay….dumb); Pedro Chirivella (looks a good player but I can’t see him breaking through and he’s 21, so we probably get something for him rather than nothing).

Others: Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain (first choice when fit in the #8 a-mid spot, but will be out until November and my guess is at least until January – and it’s not like he will come back like gangbusters immediately, so likely to be a fill-in from January through May); Adam Lallana (the way he played vs. Brighton offers hope after a mostly lost season; Ovie Ejaria (watch him contend for more playing time); Harry Wilson (should see some first team action this year, but might want to go on loan again); Marko Grujic (has chance in preseason to become more involved with first team); Allan (hard to see him getting a chance, either through selection or work permit issues); Ben Woodburn (not sure what has happened to him after a promising start).
      Youth/Reserves: Herbie Kane, Bobby Adekanye, Liam Coyle, Curtis Jones (Jones the most likely to get a sniff of the first team)

Forwards
      Returning First Choice – Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane, Mo Salah (nothing new to say about the best forward three in world football).

New Arrivals: ? (possibly a more veteran forward who is willing to not be the first choice player but given our schedule can be relied to play quite a few goals and provide a goal-scoring threat.

Departures: Daniel Sturridge (thanks for the memories); Lazar Markovic (thanks for nothing); Rhian Brewster (someone giving him bad advice).

Others: Divock Origi (big question mark here, preseason will be very important as to whether he gets another chance); Dominic Solanke (Klopp clearly likes him, his final game should do him a world of good confidence-wise); Danny Ings (backup – good for team chemistry); Ryan Kent (lost season, needs to pick back up in preseason and remind us why were so excited about him after the Bayern Munich friendly); Sheyi Ojo (was in a good way before his injury last season), then had some good and bad moments on loan with Fulham. Will be an important preseason for him); Taiwo Awoniyi (did well in Belgium this season).

Youth/Reserves: Rafa Camacho, Yan Dhanda
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2018 05:19:59 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      Reply #1: May 15, 2018 01:52:09 am
      Not too early. Roster building continues on.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: May 15, 2018 09:04:37 am
      Definite OUTS: Bogdan, Flanagan, Markovic, Sturridge, Origi
      Possible OUTS: Mignolet, Ward, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Ings
      Possible LOANS: Woodburn, Solanke

Definite INS: Keita

What we need:

- Allisson Becker. I don't care what anyone says we need a top quality keeper still. Karius has been better than Mignolet but he is still unconvincing imo and would not get near any of our rivals teams.
      - Nabil Fekir. Potentially a very exciting signing if it happens. Our front three is top class but the drop off in quality in reserve at the moment is too big. This lad can play anywhere along that front three and has 23 goals this season.
      - Squad left back. Enough is enough with Moreno. Proper support required for Robbo who cannot play every game.
      - Centre back. Is Lovren good enough to be first choice with VVD. I'm not so sure.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #3: May 15, 2018 12:32:30 pm
      Definite OUTS: Bogdan, Flanagan, Markovic, Sturridge, Origi
      Possible OUTS: Mignolet, Ward, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Ings
      Possible LOANS: Woodburn, Solanke

Definite INS: Keita

What we need:

- Allisson Becker. I don't care what anyone says we need a top quality keeper still. Karius has been better than Mignolet but he is still unconvincing imo and would not get near any of our rivals teams.
      - Nabil Fekir. Potentially a very exciting signing if it happens. Our front three is top class but the drop off in quality in reserve at the moment is too big. This lad can play anywhere along that front three and has 23 goals this season.
      - Squad left back. Enough is enough with Moreno. Proper support required for Robbo who cannot play every game.
      - Centre back. Is Lovren good enough to be first choice with VVD. I'm not so sure.

3 or 4 new targeted high quality players, rather than the 7 or 8 scatter gun approach that rogers took the summer we finished 2nd.

Agree with the outs and possible outs mate.

Top class keeper, top defensive midfielder, another striker and a versatile attacking midfielder who can play in the wings. That should give us the quality in depth. Not so worried about LB as we have versatile players like Milner and Gomez who can fill in, I'd prefer to start giving a youngster from the academy as an understudy to Robinson next year. We're more than sorted for RB.

Big question is about Lovren. He still has the odd mistake in his locker, but he's become a very accomplished CB thanks to VVD, plus we have Matip as cover. I think a class DM would provide the missing protection.

The 4 players I'm describing above would prob need 100-150m if we want quality. Not a crazy amount and we can prob raise about 50 from sales. We still have half of Couts money sitting in the bank, so it's not a stretch on club's finances to bring quality in depth.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4: May 15, 2018 12:47:05 pm

What we need:

Since Tottenham away in October compared to Man city and man Utd (best and second best defensive record this season)

Goals conceded
      Liverpool 22
      Man Utd 22
      Man City 23

Clean sheets
      Liverpool 14
      Man City 13
      Man Utd 12

Just saying

Since vvd signed
      Conceded 12
      Clean sheets 8

And he didn't play in the city game where we conceded 3 of those 12

Point being is we won't have anywhere near an unlimited budget. We have improved significantly at the back and Karius is a big part of that.

If we don't have an unlimited budget for me the best way we can get closer to City is by turning some of the 12 draws (7 at home) into wins.
      How?
      More attacking talent in depth, more goals from midfield

If we have 100m to spend I'd rather spend it on a couple of quality options in the attacking areas than 60m on a keeper
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2018 02:17:59 pm
      Just need 2-3 top quality adds and we are good to go.

GK: Not sure what to make of the backup situation. Migs needs to go because he just won't be happy as backup, but who do you bring in his replacement? At 24yo Karius is both present AND future, so do you stick with Ward? that could be a risk since he's so unproven and any injury to Karius leaves us in a very undesirable situation. Probably will look for an older, experienced goalie to serve as backup and mentor

Fullbacks: Clyne / TAA on the right, Robbo / Moreno on the left. No upgrade is necessary and would only be a luxury, so OK keeping as is

Center Backs: From a numbers perspective we are covered there. VVD, Lovren, Matip, Gomez, Klavan is more than enough bodies so only question is whether we'd move one of Lovren / Matip to get another stud to pair with VVD, but this also seems more like a luxury than a necessity

Midfield: Can is leaving and Ox is out long term with only Keita coming in to an area we needed strengthening to begin with. We need backup / competition for Hendo in the #6 spot, unless Gini moves there and then we'd need to replace him. On top of Keita i see a need for at least 2 midfielders, an attacking, versatile one like Fekir, and either a 6 or 8 depending on what position Gini plays

Attack: Top 3 are obvious but would like to see a winger added for when we did to rotate Salah or Mane. I think Ings stays as backup with Solanke probably going out on loan. The kid needs lots of minutes, not spare ones coming in as a late sub
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #6: May 15, 2018 02:22:54 pm
      Top class keeper, top defensive midfielder, another striker and a versatile attacking midfielder who can play in the wings. That should give us the quality in depth. Not so worried about LB as we have versatile players like Milner and Gomez who can fill in, I'd prefer to start giving a youngster from the academy as an understudy to Robinson next year. We're more than sorted for RB.

Big question is about Lovren. He still has the odd mistake in his locker, but he's become a very accomplished CB thanks to VVD, plus we have Matip as cover. I think a class DM would provide the missing protection.

The 4 players I'm describing above would prob need 100-150m if we want quality. Not a crazy amount and we can prob raise about 50 from sales. We still have half of Couts money sitting in the bank, so it's not a stretch on club's finances to bring quality in depth.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #7: May 15, 2018 02:27:34 pm
      Fullbacks: Clyne / TAA on the right, Robbo / Moreno on the left. No upgrade is necessary and would only be a luxury, so OK keeping as is

Agree.

Probably will look for an older, experienced goalie to serve as backup and mentor

Agree again.  Klopp's already done this with Manninger so I'd be happy to start next season with Karius and Ward if only because I feel there are other parts of the team that need more action.

On top of Keita i see a need for at least 2 midfielders

You didn't mention Milner but let's not forget he too is a year older.  If we don't expand our midfield then we won't be able to compete in more than one competition next season.  Let's face it as well - this Keita lad is going to be missing a decent amount of games with suspension for starters!

While I'm not overly thrilled with Lovren and Matip I do think we need to focus on getting better backup for the front three and a couple more bodies (+ Keita) in midfield.

Vital summer window and let's face it - if we can't build now when we've recouped the money from reaching a CL final, not to mention secured the competition for next year then it will be a huge missed opportunity.

Fingers crossed.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: May 15, 2018 02:34:00 pm
      Need GK, CB, DM and ST and we should have enough money and pull to more or less pick and choose.

Get top quality in those 4 positions and we can really go for the league.
      Kopite78
      Reply #9: May 15, 2018 03:01:01 pm
      Need GK, CB, DM and ST and we should have enough money and pull to more or less pick and choose.

Get top quality in those 4 positions and we can really go for the league.

The defence has improved significantly since October and again since Karius and vvd came in during January

It's wasting funds that we haven't got in unlimited levels there

I'd rather sign an experienced back up to Karius for next to nothing and then sign 3 quality midfield/forward options to give us greater depth that we can turn some of the 12 draws into wins

8 of those draws to wins
      Burnley
      Newcastle
      Watford
      Everton home and away
      West brom home and away
      Stoke

That's 16 more points gets us to 91 right up there with city who I'd highly doubt get 100 points again next season

If we are consistently mid to late 80s, one in a while into 90 points we will win the league and we do that by becoming even better at getting goals.
      City topped 100 Goals this season  too which is a key factor to 100 points imo

I'd rather spend our funds there

Then the likes of the Swansea away result and of Utd, Chelsea or spurs at home into a win

I don't think we turn those into results by spending our (limited within reason) resources on improving a defence that has a better defensive record since late October than utd and city

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018 03:07:07 pm by Kopite78 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10: May 15, 2018 03:29:32 pm
      I have to agree with Kopite78 to an extent, we do not have unlimited funds, and Karius has shown he is good and deserves a full season. And if Migs is willing to be a backup, I would be happy to see him stay.

I also don't think we should look into a #6. Wijnaldum would be my first choice, but if not that, Hendo is capable.

3 exceptional players (CB, midfielder/attacking mid & Forward) to challenge for first team spots and a couple of squad players (players such as, Maddison etc) would do for me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: May 15, 2018 03:35:50 pm
      The defence has improved significantly since October and again since Karius and vvd came in during January

It's wasting funds that we haven't got in unlimited levels there

I'd rather sign an experienced back up to Karius for next to nothing and then sign 3 quality midfield/forward options to give us greater depth that we can turn some of the 12 draws into wins

8 of those draws to wins
      Burnley
      Newcastle
      Watford
      Everton home and away
      West brom home and away
      Stoke

That's 16 more points gets us to 91 right up there with city who I'd highly doubt get 100 points again next season

If we are consistently mid to late 80s, one in a while into 90 points we will win the league and we do that by becoming even better at getting goals.
      City topped 100 Goals this season  too which is a key factor to 100 points imo

I'd rather spend our funds there

Then the likes of the Swansea away result and of Utd, Chelsea or spurs at home into a win

I don't think we turn those into results by spending our (limited within reason) resources on improving a defence that has a better defensive record since late October than utd and city

You make a solild argument. I would remind about away to Spurs and United re Lovren (6-point matches both), as well as looking ahead. Agree Virgil has improved Lovren, but if there is someone more like Virgil to bring in, hard to pass that by.

Someone said 100-150 million for four players. I would expect more like 150-200 million even if one of the four I mention is a free or much lower-cost transfer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #12: May 15, 2018 04:26:41 pm
      Outs, the usual suspects to be honest. I think the outs by and large speak for themselves. Danny Ings has not grasped the opportunity handed to him and Solanke has more time on his side so I'd expect to see Ings leave for regular first team football. He's simply not good enough for where we need to be aiming now, which is a shame because due to injury he missed us at the level he was useful. Mignolet, don't let the door hit you on the way out lad. Can, don't want to be part of this season's European Cup finalists, a team that's in its second European final in three years, a team that's comfortably beaten all competition to finish in the Champions League, then the same to you.

Ins:

Karius has done far too well for the Goalkeeping position to be considered a priority area and Roma have priced Alisson out of the market so I'd be inclined to keep Ward and monitor both Karius's and Alisson's performances over the first half of the season, and Roma's financial position and should the need arise and the opportunity present itself, we can attempt to sign him in Jan for a lot less.

I've been saying this for a long while now. We need another Centre Back. Lovren has done fine since big Virge joined but I'd like a back four of the same quality as our front three and he doesn't represent that. Both him and Matip would make a great second choice center back partnership, one or more coming in through rotation and both getting game time in the domestic cups.

Left back I'd expect to see Moreno leave in search of regular game time next season but I'd rather see us utilise Clyne as our second choice Left Back and persist with TAA and Gomez who both played fantastically well this season, especially Trent who had a meteoric rise.

Midfield needs bodies, even accounting for Kieta. Milner's getting on, Henderson can't play two games a week consistently, Chamberlain is out until at least November and Can seems dead set on being a blert and leaving, so we need another two quality midfielders, preferably pacey wingers who can add to the attack.

Front three is fine but needs back up and competition because the drop off to Ings (who should leave) and Solanke (who isn't ready) is too great. The problem is convincing someone they can break into that front three but that's Klopp's job, not mine.

So realistically I'd expect to see more outs this Summer than ins, and the ins need to be quality signings. We've seen Klopp be prepared to wait for his players so don't be surprised if we don't do a massive amount of business if we can't get what we need to improve us.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #13: May 15, 2018 04:41:45 pm
      Apparently the final name on my OP, youth forward Yan Dhanda, is gonzo - out of contract and heading to Swansea.

So he and Brewster apparently are on their way. Tough to break through at a club like Liverpool.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #14: May 15, 2018 05:01:42 pm
      Apparently the final name on my OP, youth forward Yan Dhanda, is gonzo - out of contract and heading to Swansea.

So he and Brewster apparently are on their way. Tough to break through at a club like Liverpool.

Agree, which is why i don't want to bring in more than 2-3 quality signings, or players like Woodburn and Wilson will be next to leave. They are both at a point, along with Grujic, who are really going to be seeking to break into the 1st team or look for another team who will give them the chance.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: May 15, 2018 05:40:21 pm
      Agree, which is why i don't want to bring in more than 2-3 quality signings, or players like Woodburn and Wilson will be next to leave. They are both at a point, along with Grujic, who are really going to be seeking to break into the 1st team or look for another team who will give them the chance.

Sure. Not just in terms of volume of bodies but also the need for immediacy of performance/results. Trent is a case study in this. He's played a lot because Jürgen has stuck with him even when he's made some substantial defensive mistakes at times. One of the hardest tasks in football management is to recognize true potential and not just a player whose physical development gives him a short-term advantage that won't be there in the  long run (one of the biggest problems over the years in player development over here).
      Mrgavin
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      • Hyyvshhxng
      Reply #16: May 15, 2018 05:56:19 pm
      Another top drawer midfielder & another option up front the 2 priority's for me...
      Mrgavin
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      • Hyyvshhxng
      Reply #17: May 15, 2018 05:57:58 pm
      Lazar markovic (thanks for nothing)
       :lmao: :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #18: May 15, 2018 06:04:44 pm
      United and Barcelona both want Greizemann. We need another striker, pissing off united and Barcelona, whilst adding depth? That's killing 3 birds with one stone right there. Need to get on that one.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #19: May 15, 2018 06:19:47 pm
      United and Barcelona both want Greizemann. We need another striker, pissing off united and Barcelona, whilst adding depth? That's killing 3 birds with one stone right there. Need to get on that one.

Griezmann is a glamour signing and we don't really do glamour signings.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: May 15, 2018 06:59:30 pm
      Fekir, Pulisic, another Mid and a younger but experienced CB...Solanke stays..Ings goes possibly one more up front.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #21: May 15, 2018 07:29:13 pm
      Definite OUTS: Bogdan, Flanagan, Markovic, Sturridge, Can, Mignolet.
      Possible OUTS: Origi, Ings.
      Possible LOANS: Woodburn, Solanke, Brewster.

Keep: Moreno, Grujic, Gomez, Ward, Wilson.

Definite INS: Keita, New striker, new midfield and new defender.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #22: May 15, 2018 08:33:36 pm
      Definite OUTS: Bogdan, Flanagan, Markovic, Sturridge, Can, Mignolet.
      Possible OUTS: Origi, Ings.
      Possible LOANS: Woodburn, Solanke, Brewster.

Keep: Moreno, Grujic, Gomez, Ward, Wilson.

Definite INS: Keita, New striker, new midfield and new defender.

Brewster is off to Germany mate, unless he has a last minute change of heart.

Quick Reply