Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Goalkeeper situ 2018/19

Read 7246 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Goalkeeper situ 2018/19
      Reply #46: Jul 26, 2018 11:26:25 pm
      just watched Pepe saving penalties in 2007 CL semi final and we got rid of him because of Rodgers Ego and in the words of the Italian General in "Allo Allo" what a mistake to make.

We didn't

But whatever like
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: Jul 27, 2018 09:26:25 am
      just watched Pepe saving penalties in 2007 CL semi final and we got rid of him because of Rodgers Ego and in the words of the Italian General in "Allo Allo" what a mistake to make.

Nonsense, Reina's final season was not good, now that could be partially because of tension with Brendan or the fact that he spent most of it plotting and agitating for a move away but the bottom line was that it was not good. Of course Mignolet was never the answer but hey ho, you live and learn, meanwhile the goalkeeping coach remains ;-)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #48: Jul 27, 2018 09:41:46 am
      If we want to bring in an experienced backup to Alisson - why not Casillas ?

Bin Achterburg and he can double up as GK coach as well
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #49: Jul 27, 2018 01:39:31 pm
      If we want to bring in an experienced backup to Alisson - why not Casillas ?

Bin Achterburg and he can double up as GK coach as well

That's actually not a bad shout, I'd also target a Senior goalkeeper who is wanting to transition into coaching but can provide backup if needed.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #50: Jul 27, 2018 02:27:38 pm
      Nonsense, Reina's final season was not good, now that could be partially because of tension with Brendan or the fact that he spent most of it plotting and agitating for a move away but the bottom line was that it was not good. Of course Mignolet was never the answer but hey ho, you live and learn, meanwhile the goalkeeping coach remains ;-)

bollox to you too. Its my opinion and that of many others. It was a huge mistake letting him go.
      Kopite78
      Reply #51: Jul 27, 2018 02:30:50 pm
      bollox to you too. Its my opinion and that of many others. It was a huge mistake letting him go.

I wouldn't have let him go either however if you put yourself back in that time the whole Liverpool he knew was falling apart and I think he ultimately wanted out

It wasn't Rodgers ego that forced him out either
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #52: Jul 27, 2018 03:10:46 pm

Here's an idea try to back up your posts rather than just copying the views of other people and cut out the childish insults they do you no favour!
      Tell me how great Reina was in his final season and also tell me how him and his agent weren't agitating for a move away almost the entire season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #53: Jul 27, 2018 03:16:02 pm
      Tell me how great Reina was in his final season and also tell me how him and his agent weren't agitating for a move away almost the entire season.

My question would be if he was agitating for a move for the whole season, how come Barcelona didn't come in for him before he went to Napoli, considering he was supposedly in constant contact with them for the preceeding 12 months?

Don't believe everything the club or Brendan Bullshitter comes out with!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #54: Jul 27, 2018 03:17:40 pm
      Yellow ticker bar on SSN: Besiktas made contact with us regarding signing Mignolet

SELL SELL SELL :laugh:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #55: Jul 27, 2018 03:26:55 pm
      My question would be if he was agitating for a move for the whole season, how come Barcelona didn't come in for him before he went to Napoli, considering he was supposedly in constant contact with them for the preceeding 12 months?

Don't believe everything the club or Brendan Bullshitter comes out with!!

Perhaps, and I know this is a bit crazy, but perhaps because he just didn't impress him, Pepe was really on the decline at that time, putting in some fairly crap GK displays in his final season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #56: Jul 27, 2018 03:27:26 pm
      Yellow ticker bar on SSN: Besiktas made contact with us regarding signing Mignolet

SELL SELL SELL :laugh:

Don't even try to haggle, a bag of peanuts will do.
      Kopite78
      Reply #57: Jul 27, 2018 03:28:23 pm
      Perhaps, and I know this is a bit crazy, but perhaps because he just didn't impress him, Pepe was really on the decline at that time, putting in some fairly crap GK displays in his final season.

He's gone on for another 5 years though playing at a good level..
      Suggests to me the mistakes he was making (beaten near post etc) were more that his head wasn't in it and his concentration was off
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Jul 27, 2018 03:32:56 pm
      He's gone on for another 5 years though playing at a good level..
      Suggests to me the mistakes he was making (beaten near post etc) were more that his head wasn't in it and his concentration was off

You are probably right but how would the buying club know that, the fact that Barca didn't go for him speaks volumes, plus he hasn't been at the very best clubs over the last 5 years, he's been at mid levels clubs
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #59: Jul 27, 2018 03:46:45 pm

Wouldn't say on the decline, have to look at how the manager wanted us playing etc, he's still done well since in other leagues, so it wasn't like he suddenly turned sh*te, still maintain a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on we'll never really fully know about.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8429 
      Reply #60: Jul 27, 2018 03:48:30 pm
      the fact that Barca didn't go for him speaks volumes

Still fully don't believe that shout, I think it was club PR to keep the fans onside.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #61: Jul 28, 2018 01:44:59 pm
      What cannot be ignored though is at that time in FSGs early days they were wanting the wage bill reduced and the ship levelling out financially

Pepe went on big wages Mignolet cane in on lass than half

The top and bottom of the story, purely a relative wage issue.

Quick Reply