Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion

Read 25185 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      Reply #23: May 15, 2018 08:50:38 pm
      Fekir, Pulisic, another Mid and a younger but experienced CB...Solanke stays..Ings goes possibly one more up front.

Yeah I'm feeling that player..
      danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #24: May 15, 2018 11:06:25 pm
      Hi my fellow lfc friends,

I'm not a native english speaker so please have understanding regarding typos and misspellings. I joined the forum a while ago hoping to get input on theories that might be spinning in Klopps head. However I did realise after reading the rules that I wasn't allowed to create topics just yet.

So I'll sort of hijack this topic since it's closely related to mine.

So for the past weeks I've spent a couple of hours a day reading a lot of different transfer romours sorrunding Liverpool. And a lot of the speculation ties back to squad depth which all of us probably agree on. However I do think that media and us (the fans) are making to big of a deal out of it.

If we managed to sign 3 class players this summer we would be set for quite some time ahead.

I've sketched on a starting 11 containing three new signings which in turn would give us the depth we need. Have a look at this link for a more visual appealing overview: http://www.futhead.com/18/squads/3316345/

The eleven:

Mane - Bobby - Mo
                  Fekir
           Hendo - Keita
      Robbo- VVD - De Ligt - Trent
                 Oblak

Bench: Ox/Lallana, Milner, Origi, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Karius, Clyne
      Reserves: Mignolet, Matip, Ings, Can, Sturridge (Expecting most of them to be sold - the available spots we fill up with talanted academy youngsters)

Obviously I can't mention every lfc player above so I've left out the likes of Gomez, Moreno, Solanke etc.

If Bobby gets injured/sick we can push up Fekir as ST and Ox as CAM.
      Ox, Origi and Fekir can fill for Mane and Salah as wingers.
      Milner can fill for Robbo.
      Clyne can fill for Trent.
      Lovren has been decent in the CB role last few months and can fill for vvd/de ligt.
      Ox, milner and wijnaldum can rotate with Hendo and Keita.
      Karius can fill for Oblak.

The focus isn't the particular names I've decided to run with here. If it's Fekir or Dybala doesn't matter, neither does if it's Oblak/Alisson or someone else. What I wanted to highlight is that we are just 3 signings away from a true title challenge in the league.

If you could pick 3 players to complement our squad this summer wich would you pick?

My pick:
      Fekir since he can play CAM, ST + winger and have a good eye for opening passes as well as a clinical finisher.
      De Ligt since he is a natural-born leader, a complete defender and a mature, reliable performer at the back. Not bad for someone who will only just turn 19 by the start of next season.
      Oblak since he has plenty of rutine and is a world class stopper. Karius will develop a lot chasing Oblak.

Over and out  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #25: May 16, 2018 05:28:43 am
      I suspect we won't sign a defender and any keeper we sign will be as competition for Karius rather than someone who will bench him. Can't say I'm entirely happy with that but that's the way I see it going.

That leaves us with signing a defensive midfielder (Can replacement) and spreading the Coutinho money over an attacking midfielder and a versatile forward. And maybe some money left over for a couple of young talents from the lower divisions (Sessegnon would be brilliant, maybe with a loan back to Fulham for a year).
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #26: May 16, 2018 03:36:26 pm
      I suspect we won't sign a defender and any keeper we sign will be as competition for Karius rather than someone who will bench him. Can't say I'm entirely happy with that but that's the way I see it going.

I think it's a risk going into next season without an exceptional CB (better than Lovren and Matip). What would happen if we lose VVD? I bet our defence would turn into a sh*t show. However, I think we could just about get away with it if we had an exceptional/world class GK.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #27: May 16, 2018 04:43:12 pm
      I think it's a risk going into next season without an exceptional CB (better than Lovren and Matip). What would happen if we lose VVD? I bet our defence would turn into a sh*t show. However, I think we could just about get away with it if we had an exceptional/world class GK.

VVD is in the "world class" category, so if he goes down there is obviously a drop in quality, but overall we would be fine. The Matip/Lovren pairing got a lot of time together last season when we finished 4th, including the end run to the season where they started 8 of the last 9 games together (Klavan started with Lovren against Bournemouth) and we got 19 out of 24 points and gave up 4gls in those 8 games, including 4 clean sheets in a row to end the year. On top of that we now have a goalie we can rely on. It would not just instantly turn to sh*t. It's absurd to think that and basically an insult to Klopp.

There is so much panic going on. We were supposed to collapse after Coutinho got hurt in the 16-17 season, then when  Mane got hurt in the Everton game, then this season when we sold Coutinho and now "omg, what would happen if VVD got hurt next year". It's like people constantly forget we have Klopp manning this team, where it's never about one player.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #28: May 16, 2018 06:17:35 pm
      VVD is in the "world class" category, so if he goes down there is obviously a drop in quality, but overall we would be fine. The Matip/Lovren pairing got a lot of time together last season when we finished 4th, including the end run to the season where they started 8 of the last 9 games together (Klavan started with Lovren against Bournemouth) and we got 19 out of 24 points and gave up 4gls in those 8 games, including 4 clean sheets in a row to end the year. On top of that we now have a goalie we can rely on. It would not just instantly turn to sh*t. It's absurd to think that and basically an insult to Klopp.

The way I see it, we have no leaders at the back with players that are prone to errors (- Robertson... or maybe with? Has he been without VVD?) without VVD, just go back and watch our previous matches without VVD, that's where I am basing my opinion on and why I am not confident going into next season without another exceptional CB. But please explain to me how it's an insult to Klopp for thinking our defense would turn into sh*t without VVD?

There is so much panic going on. We were supposed to collapse after Coutinho got hurt in the 16-17 season, then when  Mane got hurt in the Everton game then when  Mane got hurt in the Everton game

Well, we were sh*t in attack when Mane got injured vs Everton, did you even watch us?

then this season when we sold Coutinho

I only recall people being annoyed that we didn't get an attacking replacement, and that we would be less potent in attack, but not once did I read that it would be the end of the world and we would be sh*t in attack.

It's like people constantly forget we have Klopp manning this team, where it's never about one player.

I am scratching my head as to why you even bought this up? Everyone knows losing one player won't change any manager's philosophy, but losing one key player you are reliant on could make a difference (significant or not) in quality, and losing VVD as you mentioned will have give us a drop... pretty much what I am saying ;D.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #29: May 16, 2018 06:24:31 pm
      With the announcement of the World Cup squad for England, I'm reminded that we will have our preseason on a staggered start (as with many other clubs). Those three matches in America the final 10 days of July likely will not include Hendo, TAA, Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Lovren and I guess Migs if he hasn't been sold yet. Lallana and Clyne weren't included and several other internationals' teams didn't make it (Holland, Senegal, Scotland).
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2018 03:33:02 am by Robby The Z »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #30: May 16, 2018 06:28:48 pm
      With the announcement of the World Cup squad for England, I'm reminded that we will have our preseason on a staggered start (as with many oher clubs). Those three matches in America the final 10 days of July likely will not include Hendo, TAA, Mo, Bobby, Lovren and I guess Migs if he hasn't been sold yet. Lallana and Clyne weren't included and several other internationals' teams didn't make it (Holland, Senegal, Scotland.

Will be interesting to see how we do in pre season without our front 3. We will still have, Karius, Clyne, VVD, Matip/Gomez, Robertson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner, Solanke and Ings.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: May 16, 2018 06:41:45 pm
      With the announcement of the World Cup squad for England, I'm reminded that we will have our preseason on a staggered start (as with many oher clubs). Those three matches in America the final 10 days of July likely will not include Hendo, TAA, Mo, Bobby, Lovren and I guess Migs if he hasn't been sold yet. Lallana and Clyne weren't included and several other internationals' teams didn't make it (Holland, Senegal, Scotland.
      Doesn't matter one bit. Pre season as a chance to see who we want to ship out on loan. It is very unlikely we need to test people like Mo Salah or Firmino. They won't be rusty. Players like Solanke and Ings may get a chance to steak a place in the squad before the transfer window closes. If they suck pre season they will be loaned out etc... whilst it is also a good chance for players who didn't go to the world cup.. players like Van Dijk and Robbo to get match sharpness. Pre season friendlies are a chance to test fringe players, sending Salah out there and winning 10-0 would not be getting the most out of pre season anyway.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: May 16, 2018 07:25:48 pm
      I am scratching my head as to why you even bought this up? Everyone knows losing one player won't change any manager's philosophy, but losing one key player you are reliant on could make a difference (significant or not) in quality, and losing VVD as you mentioned will have give us a drop... pretty much what I am saying ;D.

Big gap between "a drop in quality" and "we'll turn into a sh*t show" as you described it, which is ridiculous, and as i said, an insult to Klopp because it suggests he's unable to put on a solid defensive performance without VVD. It also discounts the job that Matip and Lovren have done, who bar a couple bad games (like Lovren at Spurs) have been solid and were the main starting pair last season when we finished top 4 or earlier this season when aside from the 2 awful games against City and Spurs we gave up 15gls in the other 19 league games before the end of the calendar year.

If VVD goes down tomorrow we can all agree we would not be as good, but definitely not the absurdity of calling it a sh*t show.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #33: May 16, 2018 07:48:30 pm
      Big gap between "a drop in quality" and "we'll turn into a sh*t show" as you described it, which is ridiculous, and as i said, an insult to Klopp because it suggests he's unable to put on a solid defensive performance without VVD. It also discounts the job that Matip and Lovren have done, who bar a couple bad games (like Lovren at Spurs) have been solid and were the main starting pair last season when we finished top 4 or earlier this season when aside from the 2 awful games against City and Spurs we gave up 15gls in the other 19 league games before the end of the calendar year.

If VVD goes down tomorrow we can all agree we would not be as good, but definitely not the absurdity of calling it a sh*t show.

Having an opinion is an insult to Klopp because I don't rate the players as high as I should and not confident of them being a solid unit? Wtf?  :lmao: So I am guessing when we were leaking all those goals before, you never once doubted our defence, right? Actually, you never once doubted a loss of a player would weaken us drastically? I mean, if you did, it would be an insult to Klopp or any of our previous managers, right? 

So people who think the loss of Firmino would completely change our system and weaken our attack are also insulting Klopp ? No Salah = no top 4 and CL would also be an insult? How about the worry people get when Moreno plays? Or the Loss of Mane last season when people were losing their sh*t? All insulting Klopp, right?

I am calling it a sh*t show because I have seen how incompetent they can be, then adding to Karius who has shown he is prone to Mig type mistakes , as well as TAA not being the greatest of defenders (yet) certainly doesn't fill me with confidence without VVD, but each to their own, right? However, calling it an insult to Klopp just takes the biscuit and laughable.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: May 16, 2018 08:21:01 pm
      Will be interesting to see how we do in pre season without our front 3. We will still have, Karius, Clyne, VVD, Matip/Gomez, Robertson, Keita, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner, Solanke and Ings.

Right, it will be quite the opportunity for some younger players (Solanke and Ings, but also maybe Origi, Kent, Ojo) to stake a claim for involvement in the season to follow.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #35: May 16, 2018 08:35:13 pm
      Having an opinion is an insult to Klopp because I don't rate the players as high as I should and not confident of them being a solid unit? Wtf?  :lmao: So I am guessing when we were leaking all those goals before, you never once doubted our defence, right? Actually, you never once doubted a loss of a player would weaken us drastically? I mean, if you did, it would be an insult to Klopp or any of our previous managers, right? 

So people who think the loss of Firmino would completely change our system and weaken our attack are also insulting Klopp ? No Salah = no top 4 and CL would also be an insult? How about the worry people get when Moreno plays? Or the Loss of Mane last season when people were losing their sh*t? All insulting Klopp, right?

I am calling it a sh*t show because I have seen how incompetent they can be, then adding to Karius who has shown he is prone to Mig type mistakes , as well as TAA not being the greatest of defenders (yet) certainly doesn't fill me with confidence without VVD, but each to their own, right? However, calling it an insult to Klopp just takes the biscuit and laughable.

No, i was not doubting our defense all that much because a lot of the leakage was due to individual errors, and even then, Klopp has been quoted enough times as saying we defend as a team, and he even changed tactics a bit having a FB stay back to help protect the CB's.

Even after the disaster at Wembley getting beat 4-1 in late October , we came from that and started an unbeaten streak that ended in late January, including only 4 goals allowed in the 9 games following the Spurs game. All this without VVD, so this notion that we'd be a sh*t show is ludicrous and inaccurate. Weren't we 3rd in the table at the end of the calendar year?

I am not discounting the job that VVD (alongside Karius and Robbo) have done to make us better defensively, but pointing out we are far from a one-man show defensively and we're not going to turn into pumpkins the moment VVD were to go down with an injury.
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2018 08:41:27 pm by CT_LFC »
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #36: May 16, 2018 08:40:57 pm
      Right, it will be quite the opportunity for some younger players (Solanke and Ings, but also maybe Origi, Kent, Ojo) to stake a claim for involvement in the season to follow.

Having Keita not going to the world cup is big, because the more time he spends training and learning our system the better off we'll be. Also nice to have Karius and most of the defensive unit available so that they can spend more time getting used to each other.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #37: May 16, 2018 08:48:27 pm
      All this without VVD, so this notion that we'd be a sh*t show is ludicrous and inaccurate.

I am not discounting the job that VVD (alongside Karius and Robbo) have done to make us better defensively, but pointing out we are far from a one-man show defensively and we're not going to turn into pumpkins the moment VVD were to go down with an injury.

It not ludicrous with the amount of silly goals we have conceded without VVD, and with VVD, the difference is substantial in improvement, therefore, the difference without him would substantially decrease to the same old sh*t we have seen before.
      We were a sh*t show in defence for the majority last season and before that, so bringing in an exceptional keeper or CB is a must so there won't be that massive drop in quality.

And fair enough if you don't agree with me , but to say it's an insult to Klopp is kinda idiotic. By that logic, the players you don't rate and want out would also be an insult because you are supposedly questioning Klopp's coaching.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #38: May 16, 2018 09:16:53 pm
      It not ludicrous with the amount of silly goals we have conceded without VVD, and with VVD, the difference is substantial in improvement, therefore, the difference without him would substantially decrease to the same old sh*t we have seen before.
      We were a sh*t show in defence for the majority last season and before that, so bringing in an exceptional keeper or CB is a must so there won't be that massive drop in quality.

And fair enough if you don't agree with me , but to say it's an insult to Klopp is kinda idiotic. By that logic, the players you don't rate and want out would also be an insult because you are supposedly questioning Klopp's coaching.

Wrong. We were a bit inconsistent and needed to cut out some individual mistakes, but far from a sh*t show. On 12/31/17 we were 4th in the table after 21gms with 24gls allowed, but 9 of those 24 came in 2 games, so we gave up 15 in the other 19. That is very good defensive performance if you look past the 2 outliers. Your idea of a sh*t show also discredits the job Karius and Robertson have done in contributing to a more solid defense, which i think is unfair to them as well.

Anyways, you think we'll become a laughing stock defensively if VVD were to go down, i don't, the performance tells me that, just like i don't think if Salah misses a month next season we'll become Swansea offensively, which you probably do.
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2018 09:24:56 pm by CT_LFC »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39: May 16, 2018 10:13:31 pm
      Wrong. We were a bit inconsistent and needed to cut out some individual mistakes, but far from a sh*t show. On 12/31/17 we were 4th in the table after 21gms with 24gls allowed, but 9 of those 24 came in 2 games, so we gave up 15 in the other 19. That is very good defensive performance if you look past the 2 outliers.

Do you not remember how poor we were at set pieces? And no real leadership at the back which caused jitters, or do you base everything on stats? ;)

Your idea of a sh*t show also discredits the job Karius and Robertson have done in contributing to a more solid defense, which i think is unfair to them as well.

Oh, no doubt they have improved us, but there is no denying VVD has been the biggest influence. Have you wondered how they would be without leadership and a world class defender?  You just assume we can revert back to a strong/good defensive unit after being so reliant on VVD, but I don't because I have seen countless of times how they have switched off at big moments (even with VVD next to them), and with what I have seen from our defenders, I can see us reverting back to the sh*t show that we once was.

Anyways, you think we'll become a laughing stock defensively if VVD were to go down, i don't, the performance tells me that, just like i don't think if Salah misses a month next season we'll become Swansea offensively, which you probably do.

So me thinking we will be a sh*t show at the back automatically means I think we will be the laughing stock at the back without VVD, how did you come up with that ? And you assuming I think we would probably be Swansea level without Salah because?  Is it because I am disagreeing with you? ;)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018 10:18:19 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: May 16, 2018 10:26:51 pm
      Guys - first of all this is not really on topic anymore.

Two - you agree with one another that our defense got better when Virgil came in. You might disagree how much Klopp and his staff might have improved it over time without Virgil, but seriously, you've both made your arguments in triplicate. You are both intelligent and passionate fans and you can agree to disagree on this rather fine point. Truce already.

Looking forward to the summer of fine tuning the squad to make it the one that genuinely challenges for honors on all fronts - AFTER we win the Champions League!

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #41: May 16, 2018 10:32:49 pm
      Guys - first of all this is not really on topic anymore.

Two - you agree with one another that our defense got better when Virgil came in. You might disagree how much Klopp and his staff might have improved it over time without Virgil, but seriously, you've both made your arguments in triplicate. You are both intelligent and passionate fans and you can agree to disagree on this rather fine point. Truce already.

Looking forward to the summer of fine tuning the squad to make it the one that genuinely challenges for honors on all fronts - AFTER we win the Champions League!

I agree, it's gone off topic. There is no right or wrong in thinking our defence can be good or not without VVD, it is just opinions and holds just as much weight as the other. We won't really know until it occurs.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #42: May 17, 2018 12:18:16 am
      I agree, with VVD at the back, it is not so much about the defending he does, as appose to the organizing  and directing of Lovren that is important..,
      Lorven is like a guide missile that is fired to intercept a target, and VVD is the guiding system. He tell him where to defend, and lets him know that he can not win every ball in every challenge, with out VVD back there to guide and help Lovren he will play and make mistakes like he did at Spurs
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: May 18, 2018 01:34:29 pm
      I am reminded that all squad siscussions have to be in context of EPL and UEFA rules for 25-man squads, with minimum requirements for club-trained and England-trained players. That's another reason why bargaining needs to be targeted, and why some players who might not have much of a role to play will be kept in the fold.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2018 02:02:02 pm
      I think we can do the easy thing and say Moreno is alright as a back up left back, Clyne as back up RB, Mignolet as a back up to Karius and say Lovren and Matip between them are capable partners for VVD and Klavan a decent backup option to them two.

Or we can actually look to create real squad depth by buying top quality full backs again this season, a top class goalkeeper, a forward who unlike Ings and Solankie is actually able to break into the current top 3.

To create real squad depth at title winning level we have to go big.

City have world class players x 2 and will go again this season, buying players to fight with their already world class squad for positions in the team.

If we want to finish around 4th every year then Moreno, Klavan, Matip, Clyne, Mignolet, Ings, Solankie, Grujic will probably do tbh.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #45: May 18, 2018 10:21:42 pm
      I think we can do the easy thing and say Moreno is alright as a back up left back, Clyne as back up RB, Mignolet as a back up to Karius and say Lovren and Matip between them are capable partners for VVD and Klavan a decent backup option to them two.

Or we can actually look to create real squad depth by buying top quality full backs again this season, a top class goalkeeper, a forward who unlike Ings and Solankie is actually able to break into the current top 3.

To create real squad depth at title winning level we have to go big.

City have world class players x 2 and will go again this season, buying players to fight with their already world class squad for positions in the team.

If we want to finish around 4th every year then Moreno, Klavan, Matip, Clyne, Mignolet, Ings, Solankie, Grujic will probably do tbh.

This this this this this this this!!

Quick Reply