Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion

Read 25087 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      Reply #46: May 19, 2018 01:08:05 am
      City have world class players x 2 and will go again this season, buying players to fight with their already world class squad for positions in the team.

I've said before, this is what Rafa was trying to get, 2 quality players able to compete for each position. Unfortunately, City are now not far off from having that. I'm sure Klopp would love the same thing, unfortunately though, we still have 1 or 2 weaknesses which really needs addressing before we can even look at that throughout the entire team, namely our midfield. We have a lot of midfielders but at the moment, it's hard to see anyone staking claim to any specific role within the team.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #47: May 19, 2018 01:38:34 am
      I think we can do the easy thing and say Moreno is alright as a back up left back, Clyne as back up RB, Mignolet as a back up to Karius and say Lovren and Matip between them are capable partners for VVD and Klavan a decent backup option to them two.

Or we can actually look to create real squad depth by buying top quality full backs again this season, a top class goalkeeper, a forward who unlike Ings and Solankie is actually able to break into the current top 3.

To create real squad depth at title winning level we have to go big.

City have world class players x 2 and will go again this season, buying players to fight with their already world class squad for positions in the team.

If we want to finish around 4th every year then Moreno, Klavan, Matip, Clyne, Mignolet, Ings, Solankie, Grujic will probably do tbh.

Not quite sure what to make of this post. After seeing the job TAA and Robertson have done, why would anyone want to look to spend big money there? How much has Pep spent on his defense since he got here, like 250M? Thinking of Stones, Laporte, Walker, Danilo and Mendy, and even then, didn't Pep end up playing Delph at FB some games? When i think of Liverpool vs. Man City and the gaps we need to close, defense is not one of them, as we saw how they crack when you put pressure on them. We don't need another forward to break into the top 3, what we have already is probably the best trio in the world so why try to break that up. What we need is a good backup option for the forward line and a couple of quality additions in midfield and we're ready to fight them with for the title. We are almost there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: May 19, 2018 01:49:15 am
      Thinking of Stones, Laporte, Walker, Danilo and Mendy, and even then, didn't Pep end up playing Delph at FB some games?

Only because Mendy was injured and am I right in saying Danilo is mainly a RB than LB?
      Rohan
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #49: May 19, 2018 07:13:29 am
      I think we can do the easy thing and say Moreno is alright as a back up left back, Clyne as back up RB, Mignolet as a back up to Karius and say Lovren and Matip between them are capable partners for VVD and Klavan a decent backup option to them two.

Or we can actually look to create real squad depth by buying top quality full backs again this season, a top class goalkeeper, a forward who unlike Ings and Solankie is actually able to break into the current top 3.

If we want to finish around 4th every year then Moreno, Klavan, Matip, Clyne, Mignolet, Ings, Solankie, Grujic will probably do tbh.

Can’t put Clyne in the same category as the others IMO, prior to the injuries he was very solid. Not the popular opinion but I’d probably have him ahead of Trent if he can get back to where he was at.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: May 19, 2018 07:37:56 am

Building a winning side takes years if you don't have the resources like what City, Mancs, Chavs have,
      We're currently in that building period and as we've seen Jürgen is Building bit by bit, season upon season, since his arrival we have built upon the quality that we had under TPM and this summer we will see another step up in quality and numbers, with Naby Keita imminent its likely he will have a partner to compliment him with names such as Fekir, Jorginho, Lemar and Pulisic being mentioned ,
      We need back up for Robertson at LB , Bertie is ok for 20mins but is not what we are looking for, we want  a long-term fit and ready replacement and young Ryan Sessegnon would be my choice,

Think its safe to say that Migs the merciless is history so another stopper is most definitely required, Danny Ward although decent i dont think Jürgen sees him as a #2 , its a big decision for Jürgen , does he stick with Karius as #1 or does he bring in a keeper to challenge for the #1 and perhaps reignite the GK issues all over again, tricky ?
      Personally I'd be going all out for Allisson, and finally put that issue to bed once & for all,

Definitely need a CB to partner Virgil, obviously a upgrade on Matip & Lovren, Klavan although decent is too inconsistent and wouldn't normally get near the 1st team, my knowledge of Cb's isn't great but a Alderieweld would be ideal, Maguire at Leicester isn't too shabby but probably not any better than we have already, young Gomez deffo has a future so I'd like to see him under Virgil's wing and nurture him he is quality and only inexperience has slightly hampered his progress and a injury or two,

All in all i think we'll need about 5-6 for sure coming in maybe more, we need squad depth, we seen once again how thin we are in the final weeks of this season we can't expect to challenge on all fronts with a paper thin squad!!

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: May 19, 2018 08:13:23 am

Building a winning side takes years if you don't have the resources like what City, Mancs, Chavs have,
      We're currently in that building period and as we've seen Jürgen is Building bit by bit, season upon season, since his arrival we have built upon the quality that we had under TPM and this summer we will see another step up in quality and numbers, with Naby Keita imminent its likely he will have a partner to compliment him with names such as Fekir, Jorginho, Lemar and Pulisic being mentioned ,
      We need back up for Robertson at LB , Bertie is ok for 20mins but is not what we are looking for, we want  a long-term fit and ready replacement and young Ryan Sessegnon would be my choice,

Think its safe to say that Migs the merciless is history so another stopper is most definitely required, Danny Ward although decent i dont think Jürgen sees him as a #2 , its a big decision for Jürgen , does he stick with Karius as #1 or does he bring in a keeper to challenge for the #1 and perhaps reignite the GK issues all over again, tricky ?
      Personally I'd be going all out for Allisson, and finally put that issue to bed once & for all,

Definitely need a CB to partner Virgil, obviously a upgrade on Matip & Lovren, Klavan although decent is too inconsistent and wouldn't normally get near the 1st team, my knowledge of Cb's isn't great but a Alderieweld would be ideal, Maguire at Leicester isn't too shabby but probably not any better than we have already, young Gomez deffo has a future so I'd like to see him under Virgil's wing and nurture him he is quality and only inexperience has slightly hampered his progress and a injury or two,

All in all i think we'll need about 5-6 for sure coming in maybe more, we need squad depth, we seen once again how thin we are in the final weeks of this season we can't expect to challenge on all fronts with a paper thin squad!!

YNWA

With the announcement of the World Cup squad for England, I'm reminded that we will have our preseason on a staggered start (as with many other clubs). Those three matches in America the final 10 days of July likely will not include Hendo, TAA, Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Lovren and I guess Migs if he hasn't been sold yet. Lallana and Clyne weren't included and several other internationals' teams didn't make it (Holland, Senegal, Scotland).

Wouldn't worry too much mate, with that squad Southgate chose i can't honestly see engurland getting through the group stage, but who the F**k cares anyway!

YNWA
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: May 19, 2018 09:14:47 am
      I'm not sure about Moreno (at LB) and Gomez as CB. Gomez has shown that he does too many mistakes at RB; with Clyne and Trent -Arnold, I don't think Gomez will be needed at RB.

For CB, I think we need to replace Klavan, decent player but we need better players who will compete with Matip and Lovren. Lovren seems to be a good Cb who does costly and  silly mistakes too often: I mean, he's skilled but his decision making lets him down too often and he's not solid enough mentally I think. He loses his temper when he does his first mistake. 

For central midfield, I think that with Ox, Hendo, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana and Keita, we have a very good base. If we can keep Can and buy a player like Fekir, we'll have a very good midfield, good enough to compete with the very top of Europe.

As for the attack, as good as are our front 3, the bench is horrible. Solanke for me is not better than Origi and has not shown that he deserved to replace Origi in the squad. As for Ings, I don't know yet if he can be a good option to replace Firmino if needed. Ings has quality and potential, for sure, but let's see if he can live up to that potential.

We need at least another good winger to supplement Salah and Mane. I think Klopp will find the right player. He found Mane and then Salah...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: May 19, 2018 10:05:53 am
      Not quite sure what to make of this post. After seeing the job TAA and Robertson have done, why would anyone want to look to spend big money there? How much has Pep spent on his defense since he got here, like 250M? Thinking of Stones, Laporte, Walker, Danilo and Mendy, and even then, didn't Pep end up playing Delph at FB some games? When i think of Liverpool vs. Man City and the gaps we need to close, defense is not one of them, as we saw how they crack when you put pressure on them. We don't need another forward to break into the top 3, what we have already is probably the best trio in the world so why try to break that up. What we need is a good backup option for the forward line and a couple of quality additions in midfield and we're ready to fight them with for the title. We are almost there.

In all fairness to you i would be more concerned if you agreed because i scratch my head at lots of things you say.

I see a huge gap from the first choice to the second choice option at both full back spots and in the forward areas. And I question the quality of our first choice centre back partner of VVD.

I would prefer under circumstances of rotation, injury, lack of form, competition for places etc... that we bought players who can make us a stronger, more complete squad.

The starting XI is pretty impressive in all honesty with only a CB and perhaps a GK away from being City standard. Its the depth that is letting us down so wherever we strengthen you can say 'ahh yeah but we have this player there and hes been brilliant'. It's not about that its about creating depth so that over the course of a long season we can compete properly on all fronts.

Robertson and TAA being really good will mean F**k all when they're rested with 3 games in a week, it will come down to the squad and the quality of the replacement.

Seen it already this season when the first XI plays we win, when we are missing a few we lose. That's why we are on ome hand in the Champions League final and on the other miles behind City in the marathon of the league.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2018 10:16:40 am by fields of anny rd »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #54: May 19, 2018 03:11:47 pm

Wouldn't worry too much mate, with that squad Southgate chose i can't honestly see engurland getting through the group stage, but who the f**k cares anyway!

YNWA

;D. For me, this the least-anticipated World  Cup in my lifetime. Can't imagine how uninteresting it will be next time when they start letting San Marino, Shrewsbury Town and my Aunt Nancy's bra collection in.

What it does mean is that a few of our younger or loan players, like Ojo, Wilson, Ejaria will have a decent chance to catch Jürgen's eye. It also helps strengthen my resolve not to be totally ripped off for the prices they are charging over here for those tickets. It's a shame, but I just can't justify spending that much for friendlies with half the team missing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #55: May 19, 2018 03:14:21 pm
      I'm not sure about Moreno (at LB) and Gomez as CB. Gomez has shown that he does too many mistakes at RB; with Clyne and Trent -Arnold, I don't think Gomez will be needed at RB.

For CB, I think we need to replace Klavan, decent player but we need better players who will compete with Matip and Lovren. Lovren seems to be a good Cb who does costly and  silly mistakes too often: I mean, he's skilled but his decision making lets him down too often and he's not solid enough mentally I think. He loses his temper when he does his first mistake. 

For central midfield, I think that with Ox, Hendo, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana and Keita, we have a very good base. If we can keep Can and buy a player like Fekir, we'll have a very good midfield, good enough to compete with the very top of Europe.

As for the attack, as good as are our front 3, the bench is horrible. Solanke for me is not better than Origi and has not shown that he deserved to replace Origi in the squad. As for Ings, I don't know yet if he can be a good option to replace Firmino if needed. Ings has quality and potential, for sure, but let's see if he can live up to that potential.

We need at least another good winger to supplement Salah and Mane. I think Klopp will find the right player. He found Mane and then Salah...

If we recruit from abroad for another center back, then Klavan will very likely have to go as there are only so many non-English roster spots on the EPL and UEFA registration lists. I didn't account for that when I wrote the original post. I mean, he could stick around and not be in the squad, but that doesn't seem very likely.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #56: May 19, 2018 03:20:21 pm
      I've said before, this is what Rafa was trying to get, 2 quality players able to compete for each position. Unfortunately, City are now not far off from having that. I'm sure Klopp would love the same thing, unfortunately though, we still have 1 or 2 weaknesses which really needs addressing before we can even look at that throughout the entire team, namely our midfield. We have a lot of midfielders but at the moment, it's hard to see anyone staking claim to any specific role within the team.

Interesting points. I wonder if Man City would consider themselves to have two world class for each position? I know that is the standard that typically is given and I get it, but I keep thinking about that stat - and I'm struggling to remember it precisely now, about us being the first team to make a Champions League final and finish top four in the Premier League since....it's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Hard to build that kind of depth, especially when you are not owned by an oligarch or a sheikh.

EDIT: Found the quote, it was from Scotia, citing Tomkins: "How many English clubs have reached the Champions League final in the last seven seasons and also finished in the top four at the same time? None. Mostly because they haven’t reached the Champions League final, of course. But when Chelsea did way back in 2012, they finished 6th, despite having the biggest squad in the country."
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2018 03:26:45 pm by Robby The Z »
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #57: May 19, 2018 04:05:04 pm
      Interesting points. I wonder if Man City would consider themselves to have two world class for each position? I know that is the standard that typically is given and I get it, but I keep thinking about that stat - and I'm struggling to remember it precisely now, about us being the first team to make a Champions League final and finish top four in the Premier League since....it's been quite a while, hasn't it?

Hard to build that kind of depth, especially when you are not owned by an oligarch or a sheikh.

EDIT: Found the quote, it was from Scotia, citing Tomkins: "How many English clubs have reached the Champions League final in the last seven seasons and also finished in the top four at the same time? None. Mostly because they haven’t reached the Champions League final, of course. But when Chelsea did way back in 2012, they finished 6th, despite having the biggest squad in the country."

I would not say they do. Their back 5 are not as good as the price tag and perceived quality, as we clearly exposed them as such. In midfield they have 5 clear quality players (KDB, Silva x2, Gundogan, Fernandinho) and 4 quality players in attack (Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Jesus). The drop off from that is significant.

If their midfield suffered the # of injuries ours did recently, they'd have depth problems too. I remember a game around Feb when City was missing a few players and Pep only dressed a handful of subs (and he got ripped for that), so it's not like a very large squad that's 2-deep in quality for each position.

I think 2 advantages they have over us is their ability to break down deep-sitting teams that we sometimes struggle to do (though that improved from last season) and that higher quality in their first subs off the bench. If we address those with 2-3 quality signings this summer we are every bit as good as them.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: May 27, 2018 12:02:46 am
      Both Henry and Werner say this week we will be buying this summer.

After that match, what do you all see as our most needed adds.

Compared to my OP for me, along with the midfield and attacking reenforcements, I'd say goalkeeper is a lot more likely now as a position to buy.

I would still like a new starting center back, but I don't notice much interest in that, at least among ITK types. Lovren was good today, but to me it's still an area to upgrade, like midfield and attacking depth.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: May 27, 2018 01:49:55 am
      We need other forward take out salah we poor up front and we miss playmaker in midfield score goal out nothing and other wide player and goalkeeper and one or two better squad players
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #60: May 27, 2018 07:46:15 am

City's back up defenders are Danilo, Delph and Stones. Thats hardly class, so forget world class.

What we need to do is 'upgrade' the first 11, so that the backups are taken care of automatically. While we might be confident of bringing in Fekir, I would like us to be ruthless by completing deals for other 'targets' as well. Alisson, Dembele/Pulisic, a defensive mid (Rabiot?) and Jamaal Lascelles. At least 3 are first-11 material and 2 to shore up the squad depth.

Its gonna cost, SO BE IT. Fricking United are spending close to 150mil on Fred, Toby and Sandro NOW cos they realize those are weaker areas and must be addressed. Not taking them one at a time but NOW and they are probably not stopping there. We must definitely be cash rich after the last couple of seasons and the sale of Coutinho. We need to do what City did last summer. Address the problem areas AT ONCE.

Mane/Ings - Firmino/Solanke - Salah/Pulisic
      Keita/Gini - Hendo/Rabiot - Fekir/Chambo
      Robbo/Moreno - Virgil/Lovren - Lascelles/Matip - TAA/Clyne
      Alisson/Karius

Lallana, Milner, Grujic, Klavan, Gomez, Woodburn, Wilson among other options
      rossyred

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #61: May 27, 2018 08:19:48 am
      Salah coming off highlighted our lack of depth up top ,Firmino not a player who can get behind or take on people so all the onus on Mane just look at Madrid probably better players on Bench than who started
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #62: May 29, 2018 10:00:17 am
      So our Midfield options last year...

Can, Hendo, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Gini

To so far

Keita, Fabinho, Hendo, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Gini
      (Assuming Can is gone)

Bit of an upgrade so far!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #63: May 29, 2018 10:02:01 am
      So our Midfield options last year...

Can, Hendo, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Gini

To so far

Keita, Fabinho, Hendo, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Gini
      (Assuming Can is gone)

Bit of an upgrade so far!

Add Grujic.

Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #64: May 29, 2018 10:35:24 am

Grujic is the new Pacheco, Nemeth etc

Will never get a game for us
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #65: May 29, 2018 11:28:18 am

He already has!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #66: May 29, 2018 11:59:17 am

I think he can play an important role for us. Every top player in the world was a younger player who didn't have a lot of experience at one point. We bought him, used him (albeit intermittently) and then loaned him so he could play regularly (and he got very good reviews).

No, he's not our first choice #6  next season, but at some point development bears fruit and that should be this year for Marko.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #67: May 29, 2018 12:08:56 pm
      Anyone seen that vid of Felliani getting grief at the game from some Liverpool fans with his representatives on Saturday night, appears he might have been there as a guest of LFC!!

That rumour a few weeks ago could be true.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #68: May 29, 2018 12:22:22 pm

I'd be surprised if he played for us again.

Unless we play on selling one of Gini/Hendo/Lallana which I doubt we are.

Quick Reply