Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion

Read 25103 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Re: The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      Reply #115: Jul 11, 2018 08:00:46 pm
      Surprised to see so many calm over dejan Lovren being our second choice centre half this season.

He's had a few good games recently for club and country but he's still a liability for me. He's one of those players who always has a mistake in him and he will cost us a game sooner or later.

I think it's essential we sign a new CB but as that's looking unlikely I'd rather we go with a partnership of Matip and Van Dijk.  I know matip had a pretty poor season in truth but he's still a better centre half than Lovren in my opinion.

Judging Lovrens performance tonight probably right been very shaky looks petrified

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #116: Jul 11, 2018 11:08:38 pm
      If and its a big if,  were done  are the 2 arrivals enough??

Add the possibility of a fit for the season Sturridge. And the young lads Wilson Woodburn Brewster Solanke.

Nowhere near enough for me.

We're still short a GK, CB and at least two forwards.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #117: Jul 12, 2018 05:21:34 pm
      Judging Lovrens performance tonight probably right been very shaky looks petrified

Did you say the same after the game? Dejan was F***ing superb for Croatia and hope he carries on playing the way he did against Kane and Alli for us next season.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,070 posts | 1615 
      Reply #118: Jul 12, 2018 07:04:19 pm
      Did you say the same after the game? Dejan was f**king superb for Croatia and hope he carries on playing the way he did against Kane and Alli for us next season.

Got better second half yes and yes hope he continues that form all season and until he does the Jury will still be out
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #119: Jul 12, 2018 07:12:15 pm
      Just Alisson and Dybala left to sign after Shaqiri should set us up nicely :P
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #120: Jul 13, 2018 10:53:14 am
      Jürgen said Gerrard was free to leave for any manager's job except United or Everton.

I think he gets it.

Source of this??
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #121: Jul 13, 2018 12:05:34 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #122: Jul 13, 2018 01:10:15 pm

Jürgen gave an interview with the club site bak when Gerrard signed. It was somewhat tongue-in-cheek the way he said it but the implication was that of course Stevie already knows this - that you don't leave us to go to one of those two clubs. It didn't seem to be a point of controversy. Does it to you?

Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #123: Jul 13, 2018 02:03:09 pm
      To be honest i dont think he would even consider those clubs so it's a bit of a moot point
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #124: Jul 13, 2018 08:09:35 pm
      To be honest i dont think he would even consider those clubs so it's a bit of a moot point

Right, and the context of my comment, a while back, was that someone had suggested Fellaini coming to Liverpool and someone else mentioned Klopp should understand our rivalries, something like that. And of course he does understand.

What this has to do with how our squad stacks up for the coming season, I have no idea.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018 08:14:22 pm by Robby The Z »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #125: Jul 18, 2018 06:03:38 pm
      All our hopes of Ox coming back have been dashed. Club has just revealed he will be lucky to play at all next season.

That's a F***ing massive blow.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #126: Jul 18, 2018 07:46:22 pm
      All our hopes of Ox coming back have been dashed. Club has just revealed he will be lucky to play at all next season.

That's a f**king massive blow.

I tried to hedge a bit in the original post because that injury sounded precarious. Of course the  Fekir deal was in part based on this knowledge. It also might impact our evaluation of his medical. (And btw, there is no guarantee Of comes back well for the following season).

But if not Fekir, we likely are looking at attacking mid options. And then there's Sturridge ..
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,948 posts | 3330 
      Reply #127: Jul 19, 2018 01:46:49 pm
      The old 3 team debate;

GK - Alisson v Karius v Mignolet

RB - TAA v Clyne v Gomez
      CB - Lovren v Matip v Masterson
      CB - Van Dijk v Klavan v Williams
      LB - Robertson v Moreno v Lewis

CM - Fabinho v Henderson v Grujic
      CM - Keita v Milner v Chamberlain
      CM - Shaqiri v Wijnaldum v Woodburn

RW - Salah v Lallana v Origi
      CF - Firmino v Sturridge v Solanke
      LW - Mane v Ings v Kent

Looking at it, the squad isn't anywhere near as thin as it has been over the past decade or so - 29 of the 33 are full internationals. And there's only one or two positions that really need addressing. I'd still like somebody to cover at left back as I don't really wanna see Albert in a Liverpool shirt again. And maybe another centre half and centre forward to push for starting places.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #128: Jul 19, 2018 01:52:06 pm
      The old 3 team debate;

GK - Alisson v Karius v Mignolet

RB - TAA v Clyne v Gomez
      CB - Lovren v Matip v Masterson
      CB - Van Dijk v Klavan v Williams
      LB - Robertson v Moreno v Lewis

CM - Fabinho v Henderson v Grujic
      CM - Keita v Milner v Chamberlain
      CM - Shaqiri v Wijnaldum v Woodburn

RW - Salah v Lallana v Origi
      CF - Firmino v Sturridge v Solanke
      LW - Mane v Ings v Kent

Looking at it, the squad isn't anywhere near as thin as it has been over the past decade or so - 29 of the 33 are full internationals. And there's only one or two positions that really need addressing. I'd still like somebody to cover at left back as I don't really wanna see Albert in a Liverpool shirt again. And maybe another centre half and centre forward to push for starting places.

You can take Mignolet, Origi and Ings out of that list they are gonzo.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #129: Jul 19, 2018 04:59:52 pm
      You can take Mignolet, Origi and Ings out of that list they are gonzo.

Guessing Kent is out and Ojo in.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #130: Jul 20, 2018 01:55:06 pm
      Talk were done spenfing. If true we might be still a bit short, unless your sure of 2 or 3 young lads stepping up.

Looking at 2 players for each pisition in Klopps favourite system id say eere short in

. Cover for Bobby. In his abscence I could only see us changing tact. Impossible to go like for like. A fit Sturridge could ease these concerns??

. Left side attack. Who covers Mane?

. Creative mid. Lallana the closest we have and he looks like hes a concern with injuries.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #131: Jul 20, 2018 07:17:07 pm
      The likes of West Ham at home, don't see any reason why this won't work.

NB: Team no longer available
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #132: Jul 20, 2018 07:22:34 pm
      The likes of West Ham at home, don't see any reason why this won't work.

NB: Team no longer available

Only change for me would be either, Wijnaldum or Lallana instead of Shaqiri, though I am curious to see if Shaqiri is capable of playing as a #10 or as the most offensive #8.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,299 posts | 3868 
      Reply #133: Jul 20, 2018 07:25:08 pm
      Only change for me would be either, Wijnaldum or Lallana instead of Shaqiri, though I am curious to see if Shaqiri is capable of playing as a #10 or as the most offensive #8.

Agreed, I would start Wijnaldum for this one
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #134: Jul 20, 2018 07:29:18 pm
      I don't think Shaquiri is going to play much, if any, attacking midfielder for us. Cover for the outside forwards, primarily.

In JD's lineup, Lovren and TAA may be pushing it to be ready just a week after reporting for training. Could see Matip, Clyne or Gomez in those roles.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #135: Jul 21, 2018 06:30:48 am
      What a squad we're building now and I'm really excited. I think 2 of our new signings we may have to be a bit patient with is Fabinho and Shaqiri. Jürgen has already mentioned about Fabinho that he may need time to adjust. Although Shaqiri  has PL experience he will need time to get used to our way of playing. He was Stokes main man practically but hardly showed it probably down to the way Stoke played and the sh*t he had around him. So I can see Jürgen using these guys in the same way he used Robertson and Ox last season.
      We've now got world class between the sticks which will help our defence, not that VVD will need it but will help Lovren I'm sure. Expecting Robbo to push on from last season which is exciting and also we may see a bit more from Clyne. I wouldn't be against using Clyne for the 1st part of the season and then using TAA and his energy for the latter stages of the season. Trent is still young and although he has the talent we still need to be wary of is age and the risks of "burn out" for this kid...he's the future of this club.
      I think Keita is going to make all the difference to our midfield. He's shown the signs of his commitment, passing and link up play already and that's just pre season. I think our front 3 are going to love him. I think Hendo has still got a big part to play in our midfield also. Maybe Jürgen has brought in these players to play his preferred formation of 4 2 3 1, who knows but we'll see.
      Our front 3 is a no brainer if we play the 4 3 3. I'm sure alot of people out there maybe thinking the same as me and hoping that Danny Sturridge can have an injury free season. He's shown already in pre season that the sublime touch is still in there and the finishing and I'm really crossing my fingers for him. I'd love to see that dance alot this season from him. He has certainly been unlucky with injuries and whether that's in his head or he's just made of glass, you can't deny the guys talent.
      If this all gels I think we've got a better than average chance of No.19. City haven't bought anyone as yet and I think they'll have some issues up top. Jesus didn't cover himself in glory at the WC and neither did Aguero for that matter but I'm sure Pep has got something up his sleeve. Not worried about the Mancs, I think it's round about Jose 3rd season at a club that things start to implode. I think the Spuds may struggle a little. New stadium, Kane looks out on his feet, no new signings as yet. The Chavs maybe the ones to watch and Arsenal may have a couple seasons that the Mancs had when Whiskey nose left now that Wenger has gone. This season maybe our perfect opportunity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #136: Jul 21, 2018 04:06:04 pm
      Predictions for our 25-man Premier League squad everybody? Remember to follow the locally trained requirements
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #137: Jul 21, 2018 06:56:05 pm
      Predictions for our 25-man Premier League squad everybody? Remember to follow the locally trained requirements

Karius, Alisson & Grabara (Don't think he is counted as HG?)
      Clyne & TAA
      Moreno & Robertson
      Gomez, VVD, Matip, Klavan & Lovren
      Fabinho & Henderson
      Keita, Wijnaldum & Milner
      Lallana
      Salah & Shaqiri
      Mane
      Firmino & Sturridge

23(8 HGP) players. Room for Ox(extra HGP) and Fekir one more.

Likes of, Solanke, Jones, Phillips and Woodburn are under 21, so they do not need to be included I think?

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2018 07:01:09 pm by PurpleMonkey »

Quick Reply