Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion

Read 25169 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The Unofficial 2018-19 Liverpool Season Squad Discussion
      Reply #138: Jul 22, 2018 12:23:31 am
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #139: Jul 22, 2018 01:01:18 am
      Karius, Alisson & Grabara (Don't think he is counted as HG?)
      Clyne & TAA
      Moreno & Robertson
      Gomez, VVD, Matip, Klavan & Lovren
      Fabinho & Henderson
      Keita, Wijnaldum & Milner
      Lallana
      Salah & Shaqiri
      Mane
      Firmino & Sturridge

23(8 HGP) players. Room for Ox(extra HGP) and Fekir one more.

Likes of, Solanke, Jones, Phillips and Woodburn are under 21, so they do not need to be included I think?

I believe you are right about the U21s, but I think you only have 7 HGP in there. Robertson is Scots, remember. I don't think they want to register Ox until mid-season, but I'm  not sure how that would work.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #140: Jul 22, 2018 02:08:09 am
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #141: Jul 22, 2018 02:30:08 pm
      I believe you are right about the U21s, but I think you only have 7 HGP in there. Robertson is Scots, remember. I don't think they want to register Ox until mid-season, but I'm  not sure how that would work.

Oh, you are right! I thought Robertson counted as HG as Scotland is part of Britain.

Looks like Solanke has to be registered too as he will was born in 1997.

Another interesting fact that I searched up, if you have 23/25 players listed, you can get away with having a minimum of 6 HGP.

Karius, Alisson & Grabara (Don't think he is counted as HG?)
      Clyne & TAA
      Moreno & Robertson
      Gomez, VVD, Matip, Klavan & Lovren
      Fabinho & Henderson
      Keita, Wijnaldum & Milner
      Lallana
      Salah & Shaqiri
      Mane
      Firmino, Solanke & Sturridge

24(8 HGP) players.

Jones, Phillips and Woodburn are under 21, so they do not need to be included.

But yeah, we should be fine if we sign another non HGP this summer. However, if that happens and come Janurary where we will probably want to add Ox into the squad, we will have to offload a player.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #142: Jul 23, 2018 12:43:00 pm
      For the 1st game, I would play like this:

NB: Team no longer available
      Kopite78
      Reply #143: Jul 23, 2018 12:48:50 pm
      For the 1st game, I would play like this:

NB: Team no longer available

Why start Alisson but not Bobby ?

If one is available then both will be. If both are I'd have both is straight away
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #144: Jul 23, 2018 12:59:09 pm
      Why start Alisson but not Bobby ?

If one is available then both will be. If both are I'd have both is straight away

Because one is a keeper and the other one is after a long Summer. If he is fully fit, I would play Firmino as well.
      Kopite78
      Reply #145: Jul 23, 2018 01:01:31 pm
      Because one is a keeper and the other one is after a long Summer. If he is fully fit, I would play Firmino as well.

But the same keeper who is also off a long summer (he's back on holiday now) who won't have had much time to bond or train with his new defenders

I saw Bobby has been back in training himself already the other day

Don't get me wrong I'd probably go with both all being well I just don't see the logic of one and not the other. Both are in the same boat for me.. just for slightly different reasons
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #146: Jul 23, 2018 02:57:58 pm
      But the same keeper who is also off a long summer (he's back on holiday now) who won't have had much time to bond or train with his new defenders

I saw Bobby has been back in training himself already the other day

Don't get me wrong I'd probably go with both all being well I just don't see the logic of one and not the other. Both are in the same boat for me.. just for slightly different reasons

To be honest, I believe both would play but if I was the manager I would rest Firmino.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #147: Jul 23, 2018 03:42:05 pm
      I think West Ham might come too soon for both. I could see both of them playing in the friendly vs. Torino as they build up fitness. The 20th at Crystal Palace is probably more likely as an opening league game for them. All the players are expected to do some individual training before they report to training camp, but Klopp and his team definitely look to ramp up fitness before throwing players into the deep end. Hopefully it's just the one match they miss, especially considering how much of a difference it makes to our quality if these two are not in.

It may mean, with today's developments, that Simon Mignolet actually starts in goal for the season opener. I never would have expected that.
      (or it could be Jack Butland  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: )

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #148: Jul 24, 2018 01:34:00 am
      Pearce says as many as 7 players could be sold in the next two weeks.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #149: Jul 24, 2018 02:36:59 am
      Pearce says as many as 7 players could be sold in the next two weeks.

Think we need to trim the squad also (Ings, origi, Markovic, migs sold, Woodburn and Grujic on loan)
      But also want one or two more to come in.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #150: Jul 24, 2018 04:32:54 pm
      If everyone currently in the squad stays, it will be very hard to pick an 18 man squad. I think our strongest may look like:

Alisson
      Trent Lovren VanDijk Robertson
      Fabinho Hendo Keita
      Salah Firmino Mane

SUBS: Mignolet, Gomez, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge.

That's leaving out a lot of players (Karius, Clyne, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Origi, etc)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #151: Jul 24, 2018 04:43:45 pm
      If everyone currently in the squad stays, it will be very hard to pick an 18 man squad. I think our strongest may look like:

Alisson
      Trent Lovren VanDijk Robertson
      Fabinho Hendo Keita
      Salah Firmino Mane

SUBS: Mignolet, Gomez, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge.

That's leaving out a lot of players (Karius, Clyne, Matip, Klavan, Grujic, Origi, etc)

Where's Shaqiri?
      Kopite78
      Reply #152: Jul 24, 2018 04:51:40 pm
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #153: Jul 24, 2018 04:58:24 pm

Forgot him! There you go now. Some squad and thats without the Ox also!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #154: Jul 24, 2018 05:16:58 pm
      Ox won't be registered in August, maybe not in January either.

Picking the subs bench may prove the more difficult selection dilemma for the manager this season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #155: Jul 24, 2018 06:12:59 pm
      So how do people think our rivals squads are panning out in conparison? Sorry if there is a thread in this already but I couldn't see it. The gooners seem to be doing some good work thus far and I could see them surprising a few next season if they can get off to a fast start but I can't say anyone else is making waves. If city had brought Jorginho home you'd have to say they would be looking very very strong. Spurs look vulnerable, many of their squad made it to the latter stages of the WC and they've added no one. The Mancs have made a couple of moves but I suspect the biggest challenge for them will be to get Sanchez playing somewhere near his potential.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #156: Jul 24, 2018 10:01:22 pm
      So how do people think our rivals squads are panning out in conparison? Sorry if there is a thread in this already but I couldn't see it. The gooners seem to be doing some good work thus far and I could see them surprising a few next season if they can get off to a fast start but I can't say anyone else is making waves. If city had brought Jorginho home you'd have to say they would be looking very very strong. Spurs look vulnerable, many of their squad made it to the latter stages of the WC and they've added no one. The Mancs have made a couple of moves but I suspect the biggest challenge for them will be to get Sanchez playing somewhere near his potential.

I think we have a very good chance to get an early jump on United, Spurs and Chelsea. I agree Arsenal have done some good business but I think they had fallen well off the pace. Also, Man City are still favorites, but with so many playing deep into the World Cup, we have a real chance to get an early advantage over them as well. It's just so vital for us to start in top form. We really have a chance to win this year, but of course nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Reply #157: Jul 26, 2018 08:10:47 am
      We have bought well.

World class GK in Allison, Powerhouse midfielder in Keita and solid acquisitions in Shaqiri and Fabinho.

BUT I still think we lack creativity in the midfield. Our front three are phenomonal but they still need service. We are just missing that deadly playmaker that can play those killer through balls.

I look at City they have two (De Bruyne, Silva), I think if we want to seriously challenge them next season, a #10 kind of player MUST be signed.

Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, - All 5 of these have their own seperate strengths but none of these are playmakers or scream creative.

Might be asking for a bit too much given we have splashed a lot of £££ already this window but please Klopp get us a #10. If we do I can see us winning the title or going very close to it.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #158: Jul 26, 2018 10:28:12 am
      We have bought well.

World class GK in Allison, Powerhouse midfielder in Keita and solid acquisitions in Shaqiri and Fabinho.

BUT I still think we lack creativity in the midfield. Our front three are phenomonal but they still need service. We are just missing that deadly playmaker that can play those killer through balls.

I look at City they have two (De Bruyne, Silva), I think if we want to seriously challenge them next season, a #10 kind of player MUST be signed.

Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, - All 5 of these have their own seperate strengths but none of these are playmakers or scream creative.

Might be asking for a bit too much given we have splashed a lot of £££ already this window but please Klopp get us a #10. If we do I can see us winning the title or going very close to it.

I think when Firmino, Mané and Salah gel with Keita we will not have to worry too much about having a creative type No.10. Klopp also has the option of playing a No.10 with Shaqiri. Under Klopp I think we'll  see the real Shaqiri this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #159: Jul 27, 2018 02:44:07 am
      I think when Firmino, Mané and Salah gel with Keita we will not have to worry too much about having a creative type No.10. Klopp also has the option of playing a No.10 with Shaqiri. Under Klopp I think we'll  see the real Shaqiri this season.

This article in The Echo suggests the same following some comments from Klopp: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/one-question-still-lingering-over-14957792

Keita, Sturridge and even Curtis Jones could help fill this gap. Didn't mention Lallana but I suspect he would be in that mix as well.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #160: Jul 27, 2018 03:19:14 am
      We've had an excellent window. We've brought in some top additions but more importantly no key players have left.

I think we're a centre half, a number 10 and a decent backup striker away from seriously challenging for the league.

I've made my opinions clear on Lovren but i think he's a liability and that he shouldn't be first choice. I think at some point he's going to cost us points. Not just once or twice either. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I agree with firminofanboy that we need more creativity and magic from the middle. At the moment I can see us being held to a few frustrating draws because we're missing that spark in the 10 area and it could prove vital come the end of the season. We need to turn them draws into wins.

Then we need a back up striker. Shaqiri can come in and salah can play the 9 but it's not ideal and I still think we're an injury away to Bobby from being in big trouble. I hope sturridge can step up this season and play a big part for us but if not then we need a very decent back up option and they're extremely hard to find. I can't even think of a suggestion. Javier Hernandez was my shout a year ago but his ex Manc ties won't go down well plus he stunk the league out last season, he was garbage.

We aren't far off at all but there's still a few missing pieces of the jig saw before we win the league.

Quick Reply