Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Mon 20th Aug @ 8:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 16th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W4 D1 L3

England select 2018 World Cup squad

Read 2097 times
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,983 posts | 1556 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      England select 2018 World Cup squad
      May 16, 2018 04:07:01 pm
      England World Cup squad: Trent Alexander-Arnold named by Gareth Southgate

Uncapped 19-year-old Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold has been named in Gareth Southgate's 23-man England squad for this summer's World Cup.

Defender Gary Cahill has been recalled and there are also places on the plane to Russia for Chelsea team-mate Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope.

Goalkeeper Joe Hart and midfielder Jack Wilshere have not been included, along with left-back Ryan Bertrand.

England start their Group G campaign against Tunisia on 18 June, before games against Panama and Belgium.

Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana is one of five players on standby for the tournament, along with Burnley keeper Tom Heaton, Clarets defender James Tarkowski, Bournemouth's Lewis Cook and fellow midfielder Jake Livermore of West Brom.

"I believe this is a squad we can be excited about," Southgate said.

"It is a young group but with some really important senior players, so I feel the balance of the squad is good, both in terms of its experience, its character and also the positional balance."

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Standby: Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jake Livermore (West Brom), James Tarkowski (Burnley).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

Good luck to the lads.
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2018 04:59:46 pm by JD »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 295 
      Re: World Cup Squad Discussion. (Not just England)
      Reply #1: May 16, 2018 04:49:24 pm
      Had high hopes for Southgate when he took charge he promised to take a fresh approach but same old names picked on who they play for rather than form.

Loftus Cheek and Stones is that really the best we can do?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,935 posts | 2203 
      Re: England select 2018 World Cup squad
      Reply #2: May 16, 2018 05:33:14 pm
      Had high hopes for Southgate when he took charge he promised to take a fresh approach but same old names picked on who they play for rather than form.

Loftus Cheek and Stones is that really the best we can do?

I was half expecting Jake Livermore!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,293 posts | 1160 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 295 
      Reply #4: May 16, 2018 06:14:54 pm
      I was half expecting Jake Livermore!

He's on standby !!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,935 posts | 2203 
      Reply #5: May 16, 2018 07:17:22 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,555 posts | 777 
      Reply #6: May 16, 2018 07:39:49 pm
      Nick Pope is clearly the best goalkeeper, but I am not sure about his ability to hold his nerve in such a big tournament with such little experience.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1533 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2018 09:05:45 pm
      I can only hope none of our lads play and England get knocked out in the group stages so they are back asap
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 22,851 posts | 2254 
      Reply #8: May 16, 2018 09:27:15 pm
      on the one hand you want England to play just like Italia 90 it was brilliant. However we all know they are crap playing out of date boring football with possibly a manager even more boring than Hodgson.
      I will watch as many games as possible and hopefully someone will seize the opportunity and it won't be Germany
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,191 posts | 2359 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: May 16, 2018 09:59:41 pm
      Nick Pope is clearly the best goalkeeper, but I am not sure about his ability to hold his nerve in such a big tournament with such little experience.

Should fit in well then seeing as England are used to being a bunch of bottlers.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,149 posts | 1832 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,415 posts | 290 
      Reply #11: May 17, 2018 08:13:44 am
      I can only hope none of our lads play and England get knocked out in the group stages so they are back asap

I tottaly agree, we've no chance anyway so let's get our home team players back safe and sound.
      Ribapuru

• 8,555 posts | 777 
      Reply #12: May 17, 2018 10:26:17 am
      What about Egypt? They have our best player. Personally I hope Egypt have a good world cup.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1533 
      Reply #13: May 17, 2018 10:28:41 am
      What about Egypt? They have our best player. Personally I hope Egypt have a good world cup.

Hope they get knockout too

Literally mate.. Only bothered about the reds
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,293 posts | 1160 
      Reply #14: May 17, 2018 12:12:51 pm
      Looking forward to watching the world cup especially when our boys like trent and hendo are on holiday after getting knocked out asap
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,152 posts | 93 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #15: May 17, 2018 12:23:09 pm
      Hope they get knockout too

Literally mate.. Only bothered about the reds

I get your point mate but I’m in the other hand hope all our players do well in the WC and go pass the group stages, no injuries of course.

Pretty sure for Mo would be fantastic to hin Egipt have a decent run in the WC, and same for all our other players in other teams too.

I for one don’t care who wins it, don’t think my country will even get a win, but it’s something special for the players, so hopefully they all have fun and of course no injuries.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,293 posts | 1160 
      Reply #16: May 17, 2018 12:23:25 pm
      Of course the best news England wise for this world cup is no world cup song, hallelujah !
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,397 posts | 1533 
      Reply #17: May 17, 2018 12:39:17 pm
      I get your point mate but I’m in the other hand hope all our players do well in the WC and go pass the group stages, no injuries of course.

Pretty sure for Mo would be fantastic to hin Egipt have a decent run in the WC, and same for all our other players in other teams too.

I for one don’t care who wins it, don’t think my country will even get a win, but it’s something special for the players, so hopefully they all have fun and of course no injuries.

Fair enough 👍

Not for me like.. I'd rather them have the longest summer break possible. They'll get over being knocked out soon enough

I don't care who wins it either, I'll hardly watch much of it anyway.. bit here and there maybe
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,206 posts | 3127 
      Reply #18: May 17, 2018 03:06:07 pm
      I for one don’t care who wins it

The Germans, it's always the Germans!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,935 posts | 2203 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2018 12:56:38 pm
      Apart from Rib does anyone even care what happens to England.

Grown out of supporting England a long time ago and in fact even went through a stage in my twenties where I would first pump a win for the opposition. Not bothered either way now, although the response to a England loss is usually pure comedy from the press and like.

Will always watch the WC or Euro’s to hopefully see some decent football but being associated with a team who have had the likes of Terry, Neville and Beckham and who lets face it are followed by a bunch of racist Neanderthals, nah not for me.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,149 posts | 1832 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #20: May 18, 2018 01:45:43 pm
      So:

————————-Pickford
      ———Walker——Cahill——Stones
      TAA——————————-———Delph
      ————-Henderson——-Dier
      ————————Sterling
      —————-——Ali—Kane
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,293 posts | 1160 
      Reply #21: May 18, 2018 02:45:14 pm

Grown out of supporting England a long time ago and in fact even went through a stage in my twenties where I would first pump a win for the opposition. Not bothered either way now, although the response to a England loss is usually pure comedy from the press and like.

Will always watch the WC or Euro’s to hopefully see some decent football but being associated with a team who have had the likes of Terry, Neville and Beckham and who lets face it are followed by a bunch of racist Neanderthals, nah not for me.

Absolutely hits the nail on the head
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,206 posts | 3127 
      Reply #22: May 18, 2018 05:04:00 pm

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

Love watching the world cup footy, what's not to like about a month long festival with footy on everyday, I just can't be arsed getting worked up about the three lions.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 22,851 posts | 2254 
      Reply #23: May 18, 2018 06:55:41 pm
      probably 20 years ago was the last time it was worth watching England. When they moved around the country it was a sell out with much better support.
      Since then it all been about paying for Wembley and nothing more. It would be great to get excited about England but like  most others on here I just cant be arsed
      RedWilly

• 7,220 posts | 781 
      Reply #24: May 18, 2018 09:52:06 pm
      Same feelings as above for me.

I don’t actively root against England, I just don’t give a sh*t. Something about following a team where the fans are 16 stone, 55 year old men with their face painted in England colours that just doesn’t do it for me.

Actually would like to see Argentina win it so Messi can have a World Cup in his locker, would be great to see one player really drag a team to victory. As it goes...France are my pick.
      PurpleMonkey

• 7,951 posts | 1052 
      Reply #25: May 18, 2018 10:10:19 pm
      Actually would like to see Argentina win it so Messi can have a World Cup in his locker, would be great to see one player really drag a team to victory. As it goes...France are my pick.

I wanted that few months ago, but If Salah wins the CL, do we really want Messi or Ronaldo to win the world cup? :D But then again, Messi has been just as influencial (in La Liga) as Salah but with better stats, so with or without winning the WC , would we still see Messi get that 6th Ballon d'Or?
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,387 posts | 337 
      Reply #26: May 19, 2018 09:32:54 am
      Not arsed at all about England,I've only ever been interested in how well the Liverpool lads do like most reds I imagine & that is the only reason I will watch them play & I would go as far as to say I'm more interested in watching Germany & Brazil play.

RedWilly

• 7,220 posts | 781 
      Reply #27: May 19, 2018 10:50:30 pm
      I wanted that few months ago, but If Salah wins the CL, do we really want Messi or Ronaldo to win the world cup? :D But then again, Messi has been just as influencial (in La Liga) as Salah but with better stats, so with or without winning the WC , would we still see Messi get that 6th Ballon d'Or?

Messi and Ronaldo will share that until they retire. I’m pretty sure they both have huge voting blocks who will vote them no matter the circumstances.
      Ribapuru

• 8,555 posts | 777 
      Reply #28: May 20, 2018 05:24:34 pm
      Depends. If we win the CL and Argentina don't win the World Cup, it would likely go to Salah.
      If Egypt do well in the World Cup then it will be even more likely.
      Salah scored 44 goals this season, Messi scored 45.
      If Salah scores in the CL final, 1 goal equals Messi and 2 goals would beat him.
      There is of course World Cup goals to add onto that as well.
      Ronaldo is on 44 goals, we can't write him off either.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 22,851 posts | 2254 
      Reply #29: May 20, 2018 09:53:46 pm
      Argentina are dirty filthy cheats always have been . It would be a miracle if England get out the group and then past the last 16.
      Looking forward to seeing our players doing well and games in general really

Quick Reply