Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

World Cup or Champions League?

Read 16707 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      World Cup or Champions League?
      May 27, 2018 01:10:21 am
      I had this argument with a guy I know. It started out as who was better Messi or Maradonna.  His main point was Messi never won the WC. But I argued that winning the UCL is harder. Thus Messi doesn't NEED the WC to be considered the greatest. Of course Ronaldo should also be considered in order of fairness, but he's such a tw*t I cant be bothered.

Am I off on this or has the CL equaled or surpassed the WC in terms of importance?  I think its harder to win the CL than a WC.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: World Cup or Champions League?
      Reply #1: May 27, 2018 01:30:00 am
      I had this argument with a guy I know. It started out as who was better Messi or Maradonna.  His main point was Messi never won the WC. But I argued that winning the UCL is harder. Thus Messi doesn't NEED the WC to be considered the greatest. Of course Ronaldo should also be considered in order of fairness, but he's such a tw*t I cant be bothered.

Am I off on this or has the CL equaled or surpassed the WC in terms of importance?  I think its harder to win the CL than a WC.

What you win is irrelevant IMO. Gerrard is one of the greatest midfielders and players to ever play in the Premier League but he never won it, where as the likes of Darren Fletcher and Fabian Delph have. Salah will never win the World Cup, he knows it, we know it and the football world knows it, but it doesn't make him any less of a player than Messi/Ronaldo this year.

To win a World Cup, Champions League and anything really, it's about the team and luck. Has nothing to do with individual "brilliance"or whatever. Ronaldo, head and shoulders Madrid's best player this season, Ballon d'Or winner and supposedly the greatest of all time...done f**k all in the final against 19 year old TAA, scored none and assisted none. Didn't influence the final of the Euro's because he went off injured.

I hate this tag of players like Messi having to win the World Cup to be considered the greatest of all time, because the rest of his team aren't of the quality to win the World Cup. An individual can be a fantastic player but he can't do it all on his own, he needs team mates who are of the ability to allow him to flourish and perform at a level to influence the outcome.

This season Salah has been just as good as Messi and Ronaldo for example, so why does he need to win the Champions League to prove that? He's proved it over the course of a season, regardless of silverware he's hit the same figures and done it against much tougher opposition than what the other 2 have. People get too caught up in players having to win the World Cup or Champions League to apparently prove how good they are...bollocks, it's proved over a campaign.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2: May 27, 2018 02:09:10 am
      For me Messi has to win the world Cup.  To be considered in my eyes the greatest.  Argentina have good players they definitely have the tools to win it  and if he is the greatest above Maradona then he has to win.  Messi has more talent than Maradonna in my opinion but to be the greatest ever, one has to have more than talent. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: May 27, 2018 12:01:42 pm
      CL is a higher standard than the world cup now end of
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: May 27, 2018 06:10:14 pm
      Tougher to win the World Cup based on the fact it is happens ever 4 years so a player has average 3 or 4 chances to win the competition where the UCL is ever year but the standard of play in the UCL is higher. Messi debate as far as national team is he won nothing with national team always losing in finals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: May 27, 2018 07:35:23 pm

Depends how you feel about international football?

I care more about Liverpool than England, so the European Cup means more to me.

I'll still watch the World Cup as it's something to watch in the summer rather than dying of boredom trying to deal with fuckwits getting excited about Wimbledon!! Won't bother who wins it.

Could be said the world cup might be harder as it's about 7 or 8 games you have to play in a short period of time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: May 28, 2018 07:20:19 pm

I'll still watch the World Cup as it's something to watch in the summer rather than dying of boredom trying to deal with fuckwits getting excited about Wimbledon!! Won't bother who wins it.

There's always England's cricketers as well.

Actually after recent days, scratch that.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7: May 31, 2018 01:18:26 pm
      Ive noticed in the past 5 years the popularity of Football has been going up and up here. The WC always brings out the fair weather supporters and I have to say we have great Team USA supporters. But, the hardcore supporters follow European football and the CL.  I think the talent is better, i think its harder than a WC and honestly I think Messi and Ronaldo are better than Maradonna and the GOAT debate will come down to them. Its an insane coincidence that they are both modern day players.
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2018 02:44:01 pm by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #8: May 31, 2018 01:23:19 pm
      Much much harder to win the World Cup if you are not Brazilian, French or German. Firstly its only every 4 years and secondly you play with players who you are quite unused to whereas your club team mates you should have a really good bond and understanding with.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2018 02:29:39 pm
      The WC is more prestigious than the European Cup, given that it's every 4 years, so it carries more weight.

Also, international football is all about pride and honour in your country's shirt, there's not much money at stake. And unlike club football, you can't just transfer from one country to the next if your country is not successful. All that means the rewards for winning are greater than at club level.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2018 06:49:09 pm
      The WC is more prestigious than the European Cup, given that it's every 4 years, so it carries more weight.

Also, international football is all about pride and honour in your country's shirt, there's not much money at stake. And unlike club football, you can't just transfer from one country to the next if your country is not successful. All that means the rewards for winning are greater than at club level.

Quality at cl is much higher, standard of international football is largely abject these days, when was the last good major international tournament
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2018 10:29:19 pm
      Pele never won the Champions League, daft comparison to prove a point.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2018 09:40:59 am
      wonder why they haven't had a competition playing the World Cup winners against the World Club comp winners ......
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2018 03:17:58 pm
      when was the last good major international tournament

What defines a "good" international tourney?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2018 03:31:51 pm

Quality of football and games
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2018 03:58:21 pm
      I don't believe standard of international football changed too much over the last 20 years. The best nations still made up of players who are playing for the best clubs in the world and it entertaining to watch. I always looked at it as club football standard has gotten better more so than international football quality dropped.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2018 06:53:46 pm

None of our lads getting injured!!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2018 10:58:07 pm
      Quote from FATKOPITE10
      Quality at cl is much higher, standard of international football is largely abject these days, when was the last good major international tournament

The last Euros, and the last WC were great tournaments, full of goals, surprise results, and shock early eliminations.

The European Cup is very predictable until the quarter finals, sometimes the semis. While for most clubs involved, it's less about competition, and more a cash cow.
      Kopite78
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2018 01:09:58 pm
      wonder why they haven't had a competition playing the World Cup winners against the World Club comp winners ......

Cause it would be another irrelevant game?

What happens say Argentina win the world cup and Barca win the world club cup thingy
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2018 01:30:31 pm
      The last Euros, and the last WC were great tournaments, full of goals, surprise results, and shock early eliminations.

The European Cup is very predictable until the quarter finals, sometimes the semis. While for most clubs involved, it's less about competition, and more a cash cow.

No they weren't,  once it got to the knockout stages the quality dipped quite a bit.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #20: Jun 07, 2018 06:19:03 am

Thought the last Euros was one of the worst tournaments I've ever watched. Three qualifying from a group killed it completely, the winners didn't even win a group game!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Jun 07, 2018 05:01:46 pm
      Neither did Italy in WC 1982 when only two qualified from a group.

Three qualifying from a group, means every group game has something at stake. Under the old system, there were too many dead rubbers come the last game. You even get it in the European Cup group stage now, if a group is done and dusted after just 4 games.

Back in WC 90, England, Holland, Ireland and Egypt were in a group. It was the tightest group in the tournament's history, and nothing was decided until the last minute of the last game. That's how it's supposed to be.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #22: Jun 07, 2018 05:07:58 pm
      48 teams in the next wc will make things even worse

Quick Reply