Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

World Cup or Champions League?

Read 16706 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: World Cup or Champions League?
      Reply #23: Jun 10, 2018 08:32:14 am
      No it won't.

2 group games, 4 knockout rounds and a final, is 7 games. The same as now. The groups will be of 3 teams, top 2 qualify for the knockout rounds. There will be no draws in the group, penalties will decide them if necessary.

There are 26 places already confirmed in next year's European Cup, as UEFA want the same teams from the same countries there every year, playing the same format. FIFA want to grow the game, so unless you're Gibraltar standard, every nation has the opportunity to qualify for the World Cup and experience the buzz of it for themselves. More countries = more games = more fans = more money.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: Jun 10, 2018 12:56:09 pm
      No it won't.

2 group games, 4 knockout rounds and a final, is 7 games. The same as now. The groups will be of 3 teams, top 2 qualify for the knockout rounds. There will be no draws in the group, penalties will decide them if necessary.

There are 26 places already confirmed in next year's European Cup, as UEFA want the same teams from the same countries there every year, playing the same format. FIFA want to grow the game, so unless you're Gibraltar standard, every nation has the opportunity to qualify for the World Cup and experience the buzz of it for themselves. More countries = more games = more fans = more money.

Quality will be even worse
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #25: Jun 17, 2018 10:00:36 am
      No it won't.

You really have a problem accepting others opinions don’t you?
      lottie1234
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 21, 2018 09:42:54 am
      WC is harder to win
      lottie1234
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #27: Jun 21, 2018 09:43:39 am
      WC is harder to win.

World Cup only comes round every 4 years and you can't choose your teammates however good you are.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28: Jun 21, 2018 03:00:57 pm
      This tournament is well on it's way to settling the argument., largely absolutely dire
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #29: Jun 22, 2018 02:57:10 pm
      No goalless draws yet.
      Competitive games.
      Shock results.

Some stars on the brink of elimination after just one week of competition. You don't get that in the European Cup. All the big sides walk through easy groups, and sometimes the knockout rounds. At the World Cup, one loss and you could be only trying again 4 years later.
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 16, 2018 09:38:43 am
      For me Messi has to win the world Cup.  To be considered in my eyes the greatest.  Argentina have good players they definitely have the tools to win it  and if he is the greatest above Maradona then he has to win.  Messi has more talent than Maradonna in my opinion but to be the greatest ever, one has to have more than talent.

This exact thought....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Jul 17, 2018 10:44:50 pm
      Am I off on this or has the CL equaled or surpassed the WC in terms of importance?  I think its harder to win the CL than a WC.

Thread I'd missed.

No doubt about it, harder to win the World Cup as a player.  For a kick off it's only once every 4 years.  And you've got to be fit in that 6 or 7 week period out of every 4 years.  Champions League for the likes of Messi and he could enjoy a lengthy spell on the sidelines, rock up in the final and bang in a hat-trick.

Also Champions League knockouts are all played over two legs - significantly reduces the ability for a shock result like at the World Cup.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Jul 18, 2018 07:32:26 pm
      For all it's faults and disappointments over the years (especially South Africa), this year's World Cup really was fantastic and a fresh reminder that it is the greatest competition in football. Loved every day of it and I'll look back fondly on it.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #33: Jul 23, 2018 05:26:53 am
      Winning the Champions League is solely restricted to the extremely wealthy clubs. Investment is everything in that competition, without it you may as well not bother. This last World Cup was exciting because there weren't nay clear favourites. It has ignited my interest in this competition again, particularly given the CL is becoming so stale.

As for the old Messi V Maradona. Well if you play with the Barcelona team from 2009 onwards then you pretty much have everything laid on for you. His efficiency is very good. To say he had more talent than Maradona is not true, he doesn't. He has centipede legs, I have watched them both and El Pibe is in a different league ultimately. They brought him into win at Napoli and he dd it twice.  Remarkable given the teams in the Serie A then. He had to win the World Cup .. he did. He had an aura that you never doubted he would be decisive in the game. HIs repertoire of skills is phenomenal.  Messi has failed to score in a WC knockout match same with Ronaldo. Let that sink in. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #34: Jul 23, 2018 02:08:32 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #35: Jul 23, 2018 02:29:18 pm
      26 of the 32 group stage spots are already decided, before the current qualifiers. But it's not just the extremely wealthy who benefit from it. For some clubs from the weaker leagues, just getting to the group phase is the goal in itself. The Nicosias, the Borisovs, the Ludogorets.

The World Cup may not be the same quality, but it still remains the most revered competition in the world, where pride and honour is at stake, and financial rewards for players are modest. Even in today's 24/7 commercial world, there is still no sponsorship logos permitted on an international shirt during a competitive game. And nobody notices. International football is one of those rare things, where cash isn't king.

Quick Reply