Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pepe Reina - Napoli

Read 24545 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Pepe Reina - Napoli
      May 27, 2018 11:05:57 pm
      Liverpool are set for a shock swoop for one of their cult heroes - Spanish keeper Pepe Reina.

The popular 35-year-old is set to leave Napoli at the end of the season - even if they claim the title.

He was set to join AC Milan, but now Spanish sources Marca believe the move could be hijacked - by Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool.

Liverpool will look to ditch second choice keeper Simon Mignolet in the summer, and there are still doubts over current incumbent Loris Karius.

Reina's experience of the Premier League is a major plus for Klopp.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cult-hero-goalkeeper-pepe-reina-12489116.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Surprised by this. Yes, no?
      Speke Up Redmen
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 68 posts |
      • I wear a jesters hat in the Kop like a whopper!!
      Re: Pepe Reina - Napoli
      Reply #1: May 27, 2018 11:27:18 pm
      Liverpool are set for a shock swoop for one of their cult heroes - Spanish keeper Pepe Reina.

The popular 35-year-old is set to leave Napoli at the end of the season - even if they claim the title.

He was set to join AC Milan, but now Spanish sources Marca believe the move could be hijacked - by Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool.

Liverpool will look to ditch second choice keeper Simon Mignolet in the summer, and there are still doubts over current incumbent Loris Karius.

Reina's experience of the Premier League is a major plus for Klopp.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cult-hero-goalkeeper-pepe-reina-12489116.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Surprised by this. Yes, no?

I pray to god we don't bring him back!

Had this discussion last night and the fella was like a changed player as soon as Rafa went in 2010. Mistakes a plenty after that not to mention trying to manufacture moves back to Barca that didn't come off. After him trying to do that I personally had no time for him as it shows he didn't want to be at the club so therefore there is the door soft lad and don't come back!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2: May 27, 2018 11:40:09 pm
      The only way this happens is if we sell Migs and Karius.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: May 27, 2018 11:45:03 pm
      Thought he had confirmed that he's going to Milan 100%?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: May 27, 2018 11:45:33 pm
      Hardly building for the future
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: May 27, 2018 11:59:41 pm
      Thought he had confirmed that he's going to Milan 100%?

Me too.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #6: May 28, 2018 12:14:21 am

FSG certainly aren't  so remediaĺ measures have to be considered
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #7: May 28, 2018 12:46:09 am
      FSG certainly aren't  so remediaĺ measures have to be considered

36 year old on big wages, don't be soft
      Speke Up Redmen
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 68 posts |
      • I wear a jesters hat in the Kop like a whopper!!
      Reply #8: May 28, 2018 01:38:04 am
      Admittedly for those first few seasons we had him he was fantastic, I mean look, he won the Golden Glove award for those first three seasons with us but that was also down to the tactics Rafa played as well as also having a solid back four especially in the centre with big Sami and Carra.

As much as some people would feel good and nostalgic in bringing him back I for one don't think it would be a good move especially as I said before he was manufacturing his own move out of here a few years ago.

We need to scout for a young goalie with the potential of being the next David De Gea I'm afraid which is nigh on impossible at the moment it seems. Amazing goalkeepers are extremely hard to come by nowadays.

Why don't we sign Joe Hart?  :lmao:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #9: May 28, 2018 10:56:44 am
      36 year old on big wages, don't be soft

There lies the quandary - 36 year old with financial luggage but he is light years better than anything we have.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #10: May 28, 2018 11:39:15 am
      There lies the quandary - 36 year old with financial luggage but he is light years better than anything we have.

Just think it's time to move on, having said that the best goalies around are pretty untouchable at the top clubs
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11: May 28, 2018 11:43:13 am
      The only reason for bringing him back would be as #3-cum-mentor behind Alisson and Ward, after the sales of Karius and Mignolet.

Would it happen? I think not.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #12: May 28, 2018 12:00:51 pm
      Yeh I would but I just don’t think it’s Jurgens style......

Pepe, Karius and a  new monster no.1 is tidy.

If there was ANY belief that Danny Ward was good enough at the club he’d have had a proper try.

The only thing that makes me think the club might go for it is that there’s no fee.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #13: May 28, 2018 12:24:47 pm
      Just think it's time to move on, having said that the best goalies around are pretty untouchable at the top clubs

It certainly is time to progress, something we have failed to do since Pepe was despatched for financial priorities, a decision that has cost us dearly in real terms and is once again a question of false economies.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #14: May 28, 2018 12:27:33 pm
      It certainly is time to progress, something we have failed to do since Pepe was despatched for financial priorities, a decision that has cost us dearly in real terms and is once again a question of false economies.

Is pepe better than what we have, probably yes. is or was he as good as some on here would say, for me no
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: May 28, 2018 12:30:12 pm
      Is pepe better than what we have, probably yes. is or was he as good as some on here would say, for me no

He is stability and could give is that for a season or 2, couldn't he? But if we are to go for a new keeper, I rather a #1 that will be with us for years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #16: May 28, 2018 12:52:36 pm

In his day with us Pepe ranked with the best.
      At any stage of his career right up until now he would blow Migs and Karius away.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: May 28, 2018 12:56:44 pm
      if he is the only choice between our current goalkeepers then absolutely YES.
      However for me it will be a sticking plaster fix and we need major surgery in that dept. He should never have left we have struggled with goalkeepers for far too long.
      We have Mo up front and Virgil at the back Kieta coming so we need a goalkeeper who is as good a goalie as Virgil is a defender and as Mo is as a goal scorer or whats the point.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: May 28, 2018 01:30:03 pm
      There's no doubt he was in decline when he was moved on in 2013 but the fact he'd still be an improvement for us five years later shows just how badly wrong we've done in terms of goalkeepers since his departure.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: May 28, 2018 02:52:34 pm
      I pray to god we don't bring him back!

Had this discussion last night and the fella was like a changed player as soon as Rafa went in 2010. Mistakes a plenty after that not to mention trying to manufacture moves back to Barca that didn't come off. After him trying to do that I personally had no time for him as it shows he didn't want to be at the club so therefore there is the door soft lad and don't come back!

Was that Barca claim real or just something from Brendan Bullshitter to appease the crowd when getting rid of him?

Wouldn't be a bad move to bring him in as back up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: May 28, 2018 02:55:18 pm
      Surely this thread is a bad joke, a keeper who was past his best 8 years ago!! If he is the answer then we are asking the wrong F***ing question!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #21: May 28, 2018 02:58:21 pm
      Surely this thread is a bad joke, a keeper who was past his best 8 years ago!! If he is the answer then we are asking the wrong F***ing question!

Not really a back up keeper like Reina or Buffon has the experience to pass on to Karius, if we're not throwing Loris to the wolves!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #22: May 28, 2018 03:30:11 pm
      Not really a back up keeper like Reina or Buffon has the experience to pass on to Karius, if we're not throwing Loris to the wolves!!

Are you Karius's agent or something or do you just have no idea what a good Goalie looks like any more. Karius is bang average as a keeper and the only reason he looks any good is because Migs was so sh*t but Karius is an accident waiting to happen in most games same as Migs was. If we have any desire to win the league then we need better.

Quick Reply