Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fabinho Player Thread (M) > Al Ittihad

Read 155461 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Fabinho Player Thread
      Reply #736: May 26, 2019 03:46:12 pm
      Quote from: Joel (Fabinho Fanboy) Matip
      Fabinho is amazing. Barcelona, he was everywhere. I don’t know if there were 2/3 Fabinhos, more. You always know you can play the ball to him, even a sh*t ball, he does not get stressed. When he makes a tackle his leg seems to get longer, like a gadget.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/joel-matip-me-a-cult-hero-thats-not-the-worst-thing-ive-ever-heard-8wnbt8s06
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #737: Jun 05, 2019 01:45:20 pm
      Xabi Alonso explains Fabinho's impact for Liverpool

Deep-lying midfielders blessed with the ability to turn defence into attack with a single pass. Champions League winners in their debut seasons with Liverpool.

Xabi Alonso and Fabinho have plenty in common.

Indeed, they once crossed paths as teammates at Real Madrid, where Alonso consolidated his reputation as one of Europe’s chief playmakers and Fabinho pitched up as a right-back.

That was 2012-13. Six years later, via a successful spell at AS Monaco, Fabinho has treaded the same path to silverware with the Reds previously walked by his older peer.

The No.3 played the whole of Saturday’s Champions League final against Tottenham Hotspur, won 2-0 by Liverpool to secure the trophy for a sixth time in the club’s history.
      He also featured for all but 13 minutes of the six knockout ties that preceded the showpiece in Madrid.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com ahead of the final, Alonso highlighted the natural simplicity of Fabinho’s approach to the midfield role as the most reminiscent character of his own game.

“I think that we could have similarities in terms of the position, in terms of how we want to connect with the players around, how he makes the players around him better players, making them play easier and play better,” said the Spaniard.

“Taking many small, correct decisions is part of being a midfielder and he does it very well.”

If Fabinho’s potential command of a midfield at the highest level of European football was not immediately evident to Alonso at Real, he has undoubtedly caught the eye since shining at Monaco before joining Liverpool.

The Brazil international was occasionally deployed at centre-back in 2018-19 too and his former colleague feels his skills are fundamentally flexible – though most suited to the centre of the pitch.

“He came to Madrid and you could see that technically he was very good, physically he was very good, but he was playing right-back,” Alonso recalled.

“I think that he can play everywhere because of his understanding of the game and he is able to read what’s going to happen and how he wants to do it, but I think the step he made in Monaco was beautiful.

“Playing that midfield role, he’s able to connect to the close ones, to the farther ones and I really like the way he plays: his understanding of the game, he’s involved in the game, taking the small decisions but ticking in all of the moments and I think that’s the job of a midfielder.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/352925-xabi-alonso-fabinho-liverpool-midfield-impact
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #738: Jul 01, 2019 09:14:10 pm
      Such a fantastic debut season for this man. I have a feeling he’s going to step up to the next level and establish himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world (if he’s not already!)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #739: Jul 01, 2019 09:18:38 pm
      Such a fantastic debut season for this man. I have a feeling he’s going to step up to the next level and establish himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world (if he’s not already!)

10/10 debut season!!!!!

I f**king love Fabinho! That last minute tackle in the box vs Barca!

Though I must say, as much as I love him, I am still very curious to see what a DLPM would offer to the team instead of a DM! There were so many occasions where we could have switched the play quicker to our full backs, or that better deep through ball to one of our attackers breaking the lines.
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2019 09:23:21 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #740: Jul 01, 2019 09:59:05 pm
      Though I must say, as much as I love him, I am still very curious to see what a DLPM would offer to the team instead of a DM! There were so many occasions where we could have switched the play quicker to our full backs, or that better deep through ball to one of our attackers breaking the lines.

The issue is we'd have to give something up. Playing the DM is what allows our fullbacks to play so much higher; the way we play a DLPM who was not defensively minded could leave us effectively with only a back two and despite how good VVD is..he can't do everything.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #741: Jul 01, 2019 10:49:11 pm
      never seen a player make such a nervous start and then virtually improve in every game he played in. By the end of the season he was a colossus a massive defensive midfield wall and in doing so he allowed Henderson to make a massive impact also. What a f***in team we have got for this coming season monsters all over the park
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #742: Jul 02, 2019 10:06:09 am
      never seen a player make such a nervous start and then virtually improve in every game he played in. By the end of the season he was a colossus a massive defensive midfield wall and in doing so he allowed Henderson to make a massive impact also. What a f***in team we have got for this coming season monsters all over the park

Great point about freeing up Henderson!
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #743: Jul 02, 2019 10:52:30 am
      Beast of a player that will only keep getting better..

Thought he looked a little slow at first but he's very deceptive and a perfect midfielder for the team.

Looking forward to an even more stand-out year this season coming. Well in Fab!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #744: Jul 02, 2019 01:40:19 pm
      Beast of a player that will only keep getting better..

Thought he looked a little slow at first but he's very deceptive and a perfect midfielder for the team.

Looking forward to an even more stand-out year this season coming. Well in Fab!

He's just a bit slow off the mark.
      Absolutely fine once he gets into his stride.
      He can help nullify that slow first couple of yards with better positioning, and to be fair that improved as the season went on.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #745: Jul 02, 2019 02:16:39 pm
      He's just a bit slow off the mark.
      Absolutely fine once he gets into his stride.
      He can help nullify that slow first couple of yards with better positioning, and to be fair that improved as the season went on.

Defo mate. He's a fine player and will hopefully have another cracker.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #746: Jul 03, 2019 09:59:14 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #747: Jul 05, 2019 08:45:41 pm
      Interesting snippets from Fabinho's podcast for Globoesporte

Says JĂŒrgen's training is on another level. The intensity is always cranked up to the max and it was hard to keep up in the beggining

Says the boys were always reassuring that he'd get his chance after a while, and that the same happenned to Robbo and some of the other guys

Fabinho talks about the day after the Huddersfield match, when he trained with the boys that didn't play. Towards the end of training, Fabinho, exhausted, layed down in the pitch and Pep came to him and said -"Come, Fabinho, just a little more". A pretty important moment for him as it signaled his breakthrough as a starter

Talks about the Huddersfield and United matches and how that was the turning point for him as a starter and when our football "clicked" to him

Virgil's always cracking jokes and is a fun guy all around

Virgil Van Djik shouts his own name ("VIRG!!!") whenever he's about to go for a ball in the box and everyone knows it's time to make way

Pep Lijnders speaks portuguese and talked more to Fabinho than Klopp in the beggining

Fabinho's in awe of everything Van Djik related. Goes as far as to not have words and gasp trying to describe his dominance

Van Djik and Wij are Fabinho's best mates who helped him settle right from the get-go

Salah's reserved but talkative. Happiest guy in the world when around Lovren

Lovren's playful with Fabinho and challenges him to speak english around the other players

Fabinho calls our dutch boy Gini

Salah's the main star of the team in his opinion, but he'd give VVD the Ballon D'or for his perfomance this season

Fabinho's always wished to play with/against Messi. Talks about how even his long legs and patience were never enough to make a good tackle

Fabinho's top 3 players in the world this season: VVD, Messi and ManĂ©

Says a team effort is the absolute most important thing for success currently in football. "Individual talent doesn't work miracles anymore".

In the dressing room at Camp Nou after the match, JĂŒrgen laughed and congratulated the boys for they had played one of their best matches all year.

In the ice pool with ManĂ© after the game, Klopp approaches Fab and asks: -"Gini said we'll get through next week. What do you think?"

Fab responds - "I'm sure of it"

Klopp goes -"Good. There's three of us already!"

In the preparation for the second leg against Barça, even with Salah and Bobby out, the sentiment with the players was that they'd find a way to get through.

Things went by naturally during the match, exactly as it was planned, he says. After the second goal, he says he knew Barça was already out of the game.

Says the atmosphere had a huge influence that game. -"The stadium that day. Wow."

Fabinho was already prepared for extra time and was caught by surprise like some of the other boys with the 4th goal.

Origi said that he didn't see Arnold's corner, and that his shot was pure reflex.

Fabinho says there are only two pitches he's played where the atmosphere's really different from the rest in Europe: Olympique's VĂ©lodrome and Anfield.

Says he never felt anything similar to the atmosphere in the 4-0.

Talks about the YNWA after the game. -"Everyone gathered around the Kop, thinking about the difficulty of the game without two world-class players... I almost teared up at one point, but Firmino told me something that made it go away"

Sings a bit of YNWA around 40:20. Legend

Says it would be really frustrating not to win a title after everything they did during the season for the fans, that are special around Liverpool

Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/c9i67o/interesting_snippets_from_fabinhos_podcast_for/

Source is here if you want to listen and translate everything :D https://interativos.globoesporte.globo.com/podcasts/programa/hoje-sim/episodio/hoje-sim-14-fabinho-parte-2-os-bastidores-do-liverpool-JĂŒrgen-klopp-e-o-titulo-da-champions-league
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #748: Jul 09, 2019 10:29:54 pm
      On who's the "most brazilian" out of the foreign Liverpool players: "Alberto Moreno, for sure." He said Moreno knows more brazilian songs than him "I'm not even exagerating, it's the truth"

On how was that to "put Messi in his pocket" (most of the questions came from social media btw): "I don't know if I put him in my pocket, gotta respect the man. He was the best I've ever faced. I think especially on the 2nd leg I managed to protect really well the area he plays and it was not easy.. he's unpredictable." "I saw people saying he disappeared on the game but the 4 opportunities Barça had came from him. He's a really unique guy, but there was a moment I noticed that Barcelona (players) waited and looked for him so I just started to close his area to not let the ball get to him - cause it's a problem if it does"

On if they believed that they could win the 2nd game against Barça: "Even before the first game I told Firmino: 'In Anfield we gonna swallow these guys up'" (he also told about Klopp talking to him in the dressing room after the 1st game and how everyone was very confident before the 2nd match)

On not being called up for Brazil NT: He said he's not trying to understand it anymore he's already in peace with it. His family's help made it easier to deal with it.

On the hypotetical scenary where his performances had something to do with him not being called up - even though they didn't - how he thinks he could improve to be called up: "I'm focusing now in improving at Liverpool... There's a lot of people who knows me and say that I should shoot more from the outside of the box.. it's one of the things I want to get better at. I want to be more important in the offensive part of Liverpool's game. The year of adapting is over, from now on I want to get better as a player for Liverpool and I believe it will also improve my chances to get in the NT."

On if the players and Klopp talked to him after he didn't get called up: "yes. I was actually surprised by how many people came to talk to me. I spoke to Firmino, he was like 'Don't worry mate. it happens..' Klopp sent a message .. I really didn't expect that.. he said 'I don't get it. You deserved it. But relax.." *then he joked that Klopp also didn't want to lose a player (mentally) as it was right before the UCL final.*

"Gini commented 'Fabinho?' when Liverpool IG page posted about Alisson and Firmino being called up. Then on the next day he said 'Fabinho, I was about to go to Brazil's IG page and comment a lot of times 'where's Fabinho?'' then I was like 'mate, stop that' (laughs)"

On who he thinks is going to be the Ballon D'Or winner: "I think it'll be Van Dijk. Especially after our Champions League title.. after our win vs Barcelona. I thought Messi would win it, but I think that loss affected Barça too much.. they even lost the Copa Del Rey final."

On if he dribbles VVD on trainning: "I'm usually on his team, thank God." "The only guy I've ever seen winning a ball from him on training was Firmino. Only once."

On which foreign Liverpool player he'd like to see the most in the brazilian NT: *The interviewer joked that he should choose himself, cause, like a lot of brazilians say on social media, maybe Tite thinks he isn't brazilian - that made Fab crack up* "A guy I really like is Mané, he's a great player" "There were like 7 or 8 games in a roll that he was always scoring, we just knew 'just pass the ball to Mané that 'something' gonna happen'" "If he was brazilian he'd make some damage playing along side Firmino in the attack - as they already know each other" .

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/cb5e70/some_quotes_from_fabinhos_interview_for_de_sola/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-JekWJrEM&feature=youtu.be

The best part:

Quote from: Fabinho on Gini's IG post
      "Gini commented 'Fabinho?' when Liverpool IG page posted about Alisson and Firmino being called up. Then on the next day he said 'Fabinho, I was about to go to Brazil's IG page and comment a lot of times 'where's Fabinho?'' then I was like 'mate, stop that' (laughs)"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2019 10:34:28 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #749: Aug 10, 2019 08:07:07 am
      Key player for me this season. We all know what are other stars can do but I think Fab is going to be a beast for us.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #750: Aug 10, 2019 05:03:12 pm
      Key player for me this season. We all know what are other stars can do but I think Fab is going to be a beast for us.

Big difference could be him playing all season
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #751: Aug 10, 2019 06:05:51 pm
      Awesome yesterday. If he carries on in a similar vein for the rest of the season then what fireworks we will see in attack this season. We'll in Bobby!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #752: Aug 10, 2019 06:10:01 pm
      Awesome yesterday. If he carries on in a similar vein for the rest of the season then what fireworks we will see in attack this season. We'll in Bobby!

Did you think this was the Firmino thread mate?

Just going by the "Bobby" reference.
      (and yeah, I thought Firmino was great last night as well)
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #753: Aug 10, 2019 10:05:28 pm
      Big difference could be him playing all season

Totally agree Breeding Red
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #754: Aug 10, 2019 10:43:38 pm
      Love Fabs - top player and will be huge for us this season
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #755: Aug 10, 2019 11:13:32 pm
      Wasn't entirely sold on Fab yesterday. Hes a good player no doubt but just need him to know when we are under the pump and when hes free to go in that 6 position.

Seems like once hes there hes great at mopping up trouble but it's harder for him than Hendo to get back there at times.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #756: Aug 11, 2019 12:02:10 am
      Wasn't entirely sold on Fab yesterday. Hes a good player no doubt but just need him to know when we are under the pump and when hes free to go in that 6 position.

Seems like once hes there hes great at mopping up trouble but it's harder for him than Hendo to get back there at times.

Didn’t have to be we was strolling the game , this player will be a massive influence on our season .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #757: Aug 11, 2019 10:54:26 am
      Didn’t have to be we was strolling the game , this player will be a massive influence on our season .

No doubt he has already proven in bigger and better games just what he can do.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #758: Aug 11, 2019 01:19:58 pm
      Did you think this was the Firmino thread mate?

Just going by the "Bobby" reference.
      (and yeah, I thought Firmino was great last night as well)

Yeah I just realised my error!

As for Fabinho -  he was OK yesterday, if anything he perfectly represented the performance of the whole team. At times brilliant but at other moments slack and lackadaisical. But he's allowed one of those given how vital he was to us last season - we all talk about the merits of VVD and Allison helping us win the CL but equally we would not have won it without Fab. His performance against Barca in particular was a masterclass.

Quick Reply