Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Seasonal Reflections

Read 9432 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Seasonal Reflections
      Reply #23: Jul 31, 2020 10:41:08 pm
      Another league season, with another set of club records. A record points total, record home league wins, then winning the league in the earliest and latest time ever. I don't think that record will ever be broken. Along the way, we took 55 points from home games, and gained 2 more points at home than last season. Some of the other highlights were:

Goals Of The Season

85 goals scored was 4 less than last season, however there were still some specials out there.

Team Goal Of The Season

v City (h): After a ropey start, Fabinho's strike settled us down. Then TAA took out 6 opponents with a wonderful cross to Robbo, whose inch perfect crossed allowed Mo to head home, and on to win. That's how we play, and that's it working at it's best, at a time when we need it most.

Individual Goal Of The Season

v Southampton (a): It's not easy narrowing it down to one, but I've gone for Mane v Southampton in our first away game of the season. A difficult first half in a tough away game after collecting our latest trophy, Mane created and finished his first goal this season in his first start just before half time, which set us off on the way to the first of 14 away wins this season.

Assist Goal Of The Season

v mancs (h): Having never scored against the mancs before, they thought it was safe to leave Salah alone by himself in injury time. Alisson picks him out, and Salah sets the seal on another home win against the mancs. That's why Alisson is the best keeper in the world. Many keepers play out from the back and launch attacks, but he spots things that others don't. The current World, European, Copa America, and English League Champion would have retained the Golden Glove too if he played more than 28 games this season. But he still has a good save in his locker.

Save Of The Season

With 32 league wins, Allison's most difficult job some weeks was to just keep himself warm. One such game was at Norwich, where on a stormy night, he was faced with a one on one. He looked at his opponent, faced him down, and just when it looked like he was outnumbered in the contest, he reached out a hand at the last second and swatted the ball away from danger. It's unlikely a goal would have resulted as the VAR would have probably stepped in to sort it out, but he didn't wait that long. He stared the forward down and dealt with the situation in a way that other keepers can't.

Game Of The Season

v Everton (h). 2-0 up in 15 minutes, the defence got carried away a bit and the half time score didn't truly reflect our superiority. Wijnaldum finally settled it near the end. It was our first time to score 5 against them since 1982, and stretched the run at home to 20 years.

After 4 years of the 4 year project, Jürgen took us to the promised land, becoming the first non British coach to win us the league. We now have the platform to start another project, Project Ruthless, where we retain the league to win No. 20, then go on to win it continously and add a few more cups as a bonus. It may look ambitious, but we haven't got to where we have without ambition, it's what we now have to believe in, rather than doubt ourselves as we did for so long. 2020 is finally Our Year, and if the next few years are as much fun as the past 4, it's a project that should be well within our reach.
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts | 38 
      Reply #24: Jul 31, 2020 11:24:53 pm
      Won the league this year...I'm pretty f***in stoked 😁😎😂
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #25: Aug 01, 2020 11:45:38 am
      Goal of the season

Probanly Keita v Chelsea. Its a shame there was no supporters in the stadium & that the game he scored it in was essentially a dead rubber because it seems to have taken a lot of the shine off it. What a F***ing goal. I think if he scored that earlier on in the season it would have been talked about a lot more

Save of the season

Have to agree with Alison at Norwich away. Could probably argue that it wasn't even a "save" but the goalkeeping nous and the ability to jump into action on a cold February night after having F**k all to do for 60 odd minutes was incredible

Game of the Season

Arsenal 5-5 in the cup was the best game overall, in terms of the league I'd say Villa away
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #26: Aug 02, 2020 12:29:03 pm
      CAMPIONE CAMPIONE CAMPIONE LIVERPOOL

The only thing we have to reflect on this season  ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #27: May 30, 2021 01:43:19 pm
      This season saw the first slide in a full season with Jürgen. However, an excellent run in and a 3rd place finish was a lot better than it looked for a lot of the campaign. With just 68 goals scored, we finished 30 points off last year's tally, and all the reasons are well documented elsewhere. Here though is a chance to find some of the highlights out of  the storm.

Goals Of The Season

Team Goal Of The Season

v West Ham (a): Over the past 3 years we have gone to West Ham, faced a corner, cleared it away, then hit them on the counter and 10 seconds later we've scored again. After 3 years of a specific tactic working against a specific team in a specific venue, the opposition should have wised up to it. But they still haven't. This time the corner was cleared to Trent, who sent it 60 yards forward to Shaq who in turn sends it perfectly onto Mo's foot. Two touches later, the ball is in their net again and the three points are in the bag. We might even give it a go for the 5th time next season.

v Crystal Palace (a): In a first half where we've been more clinical than competent, Firmino wins the ball in his own half and sets Robbo free in his own half. Firmino runs alongside him, to get into the position to take Robbo's cross and slide it in for 3. Now it's a question of how many. It turns out to be 7 goals, a 6 point lead, and a Happy Christmas.

v Wolves (h): Top of the league and with the fans back, the players are scavenging the opposition, with the Kopites singing Merry Christmas Everton all around us, the whole team put together one of those 30 pass moves that end up in a goal. Santa Semedo knocks it in on our behalf, a player who clearly appreciates coming here with teams that lose 4-0 at Anfield. He'll always be welcome in that case.

Individual Goal Of The Season

v Spurs (h): With our 100% home record on the ropes, Robbo takes a corner, Hendo takes Dier out, and Robbie takes his chance, a free header into an unmarked post. The 2-1 win puts us 3 points clear of the field, and looks as though it's going to be making a statement, which it did although not quite in the way we intended. It was our last home win for four months. The last time such a feat happened was eighteen seasons ago. At least we won the League Cup then.

v Everton (a): There's not many highlights  from the derby, but there is one. Out of nowhere Mo hit his 100th Goal for us, with a first time volley to give us the lead with 20 minutes to go. It should have been enough to win the game on it's own, but that's a different story.

v West Brom (a): As during many seasons  down the years, a banana skin was to be found waiting for us outside Allardyce's door. So after watching everyone who could score against them, waste chance after chance for 94 minutes, Alisson decided to have a go himself. So up he went for a last minute corner, knowing that if we went short as in the home fixture, it would be a waste of his time. But Trent gave him a good delivery, he got a great connection, the post was waiting there unmarked for him, and bingo, there's our 3 points. See lads, it's not that difficult, is it?

Assist Of The Season

Only one contender for this though. It goes to Shaqiri for his assist to set up Jota's winner v West Ham (h). Having just come on, and a 11 man bus rigidly parked in front of him, Shaqiri breaks it up with one inch perfect pass for Diogo to run onto and thump it home, to win the game and send us off to City the following week, full of confidence.

Save Of The Season

This year it's not reserved for Alisson. It's going to Kelleher instead for his world class stop on his league debut in front of the Kop v Wolves. To get back and claw the attempt to lob him, around the post was something Allison himself would be proud of. The standing ovation he got from the Kop for it was fully justified. His appearances were few this season, but he never put a foot wrong anytime he was called upon.

Signing Of The Season

It was a tight call between Thiago and Diogo, and either couldn't really be argued. But I'm going to give it to Thiago, as he's the first ready made world class player to come to this club, and although we haven't seen it in every game, we are now starting to see why he's here and what he brings to the side. On his day there's nobody in the league who can come close to him, not even De Bruyne. And the best from him is still to come.

Thank You VAR

v Chelsea (a) A turgid first half suddenly bursts into life just before half time, when Hendo spots Mane about to run clean through, until he is cleaned out by a cheat, who thought he could con Tierney into giving him just a yellow. But he can't con Michael Oliver, who shows him the footage of a clear case of Dogso. The yellow is swiftly changed to red, and any hope the home side have disappears with him down the tunnel. Within 10 minutes of a one sided restart, we're 2 goals up, and Thiago is running the show, passing the ball more in one half than Chelsea managed in two.

v Newcastle (h): 90 minutes of target practice at their keeper, brought just one early goal, so we had to see it out. Deep in stoppage time, they're clean through on goal, and Ali gets to a hand to it, but his wasn't the only one. The subsequent handball by the opponent means a goal can't be awarded, and thanks to VAR justice was done on the spot, just when we need it to be. We didn't win the game in the end, but at least the goal that followed was legal, and we were not robbed of a top 4 spot by a handball from a cheat instead.

v Wolves (h): Having handed Mo the chance to put us ahead, Coady is determined to get his side level. So determined that he's prepared to go to ground in the box under no contact by any Red. He cons Craig into giving them a penalty, but not Jon Moss in the VAR. He's never been a great friend to the club but at least he's able to work a PC properly, so he tells Pawson to see what really happened. It doesn't take very long for him to see he made a clear and obvious error and it can be put right, when it's supposed to be put right. Two years ago, the penalty would have stood and the result may well have been a different story. But the cheers the overturned decision gets, show again why it's here to stay. Because it works.

Player of the Season

Sorry Naby, you just missed out again. :f_doh:

At one stage, it looked like the POTY might get it for being the longest player in the treatment room, given how full it was. Fabinho spent a few weeks there as well, but out on the pitch, he showed his class every week. Even when he's out of position, as he often was this season, he never has a bad game. He just takes to his job like a duck to water. Other players blow hot and cold, but he doesn't. So if you're motm ahead of him, you've really played out of your skin on the day.

Game Of The Season

With stand out games few and far between this season, there is one clear and obvious winner which is v mancs (a). Wins there in any competition or circumstances are rare events, and after going behind early on, it looked as far away as ever. But we were ahead before half time and doubled it after the break, to seal our first win there in 7 years. It's clearly our best win of the season.

So that was 2020-21. It may have left a lot of room for improvement, but if anyone can do it, Jürgen can. The quest to win No. 20 resumes in August.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #28: May 31, 2021 08:28:38 pm
      You can piss right off thanking VAR. Just shows how clueless you are to support it.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29: May 31, 2021 09:57:22 pm
      The stand out for me - and my goal of the season - Ali with a last minute header to keep the wins rolling.
      Unbelievable.
      The only time this year I went completely nuts, but in a good way :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #30: May 31, 2021 10:06:14 pm
      The stand out for me - and my goal of the season - Ali with a last minute header to keep the wins rolling.
      Unbelievable.

It could only be that couldn't it? One that I think we'll reflect on for many years to come.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #31: Jun 03, 2021 03:57:37 pm
      Quote from FL Red
      You can right off thanking VAR. Just shows how you are to support it.

When you're reading posts about VAR from me, then you know what you're going to get.

I posted up 3 of the biggest VAR decisions we got in our favour this season, rubbishing the clueless myth out there that we get "nothing" from it. As fans of the game, we have a simple choice. Either we support it and embrace the benefits it brings to the game, or sit there howling at the moon over it, because whatever you think about it, it is now permanent, it's not going away. Because I have wanted for decades for this sport to grow up and use technology to get correct decisions, as they do in many other sports, I've chosen the former. So I will never ever ever apologise for wanting to see justice done on the pitch, and especially when we get a big VAR call in our favour.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 521 posts | 108 
      Reply #32: Jun 04, 2021 10:25:35 am
      Horrid season for many, well documented reasons but hat's off to Jürgen and the boys for getting 3rd.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33: Jun 04, 2021 01:16:25 pm
      season's reflection , thank F**k that is over. Cant wait for next season I really think we are in for something special.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #34: Jun 04, 2021 01:30:48 pm
      Ali with a last minute header

I think we will talk about this one for years to come, and it will remain a part of records for a long time. Standout goal for me epitomizing the whole season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Jun 04, 2021 01:30:54 pm
      Unbelievable.

Yeah, that was pretty mental.

Loved it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Jun 05, 2021 12:40:41 am
      Ali's header for sure but I will never, ever forget the way Mo celebrated after his finish against United.

The passion in him was monumental!

I loved seeing that!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #37: Jun 05, 2021 02:28:32 pm
      Ali's goal and the performance at Old Trafford. Rest of the season was pretty much sh*t. Roll on next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #38: Jun 06, 2021 10:11:10 am
      1. Pumping Manu.
      2. Ali goal.
      3. snatching 3rd spot after being so sh1t for most of the season.

Roll on next season when we can hopefully play with a settled defence again.

Quick Reply