Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Karius suffered concussion in CL final

Read 7741 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Karius suffered concussion in CL final
      Jun 04, 2018 03:59:23 pm
      Having a scan in Boston. There’s worries he could have suffered a concussion from that hit he took from Ramos. Might explain the blatant mistakes he made. Hope he is ok.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Karius suffered concussion in CL final
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2018 04:26:40 pm
      Interesting that he's having the scans, and would not be surprised if they showed he had some level of concussion. Wonder if they should have done quick testing on the field after he got hit, though i'm not all that familiar with concussions at all so not sure what kind of testing they could have done that would have them enough confidence one way or another.

And isn't there a ref at the goal line in part so he can catch hits like this? useless refs.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2018 04:30:10 pm
      Having a scan in Boston. There’s worries he could have suffered a concussion from that hit he took from Ramos. Might explain the blatant mistakes he made. Hope he is ok.

That was FSG trying to cross check, if those mistakes were due to head concussion or not. Meaning: if they were, then no new goalkeeper, if they weren't, then they are preparing their chequebook. :p
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2018 04:47:54 pm

Damn, i thought the bloke at the pub who dropped a full pint on Saturday looked familiar.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2018 07:28:57 pm
      https://twitter.com/xxx/status/1003693065280868353

So I guess Ramos did actually F**k him up in the end...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2018 07:32:40 pm

Took out two of our players if that’s true.
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2018 08:02:47 pm
      Not sure how much of this I'm taking as legit excuse.. but here it is:

"After carefully reviewing game film and integrating a detailed history -- including his reported present and immediate post-contact subjective symptoms -- physical examination and objective metrics, we have concluded that Mr. Karius sustained a concussion during the match," Mass General said in a statement.

"At the time of our evaluation, Mr. Karius's principal residual symptoms and objective signs suggested that visual spatial dysfunction existed and likely occurred immediately following the event. Additional symptomatic and objectively noted areas of dysfunction also persisted. It could be possible that such deficits would affect performance."

"Karius has reported significant and steady improvement since the concussive event, and we expect him to make a full recovery based on the results of the examination," the doctor's statement added. "We expect that with treatment and by following prescribed activity protocols he will continue to improve. We have encouraged vigilance and an emphasis on safety in his eventual return to full activity."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpool/story/3517542/liverpools-loris-karius-suffered-concussion-in-champions-league-final
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2018 08:15:31 pm
      Took out two of our players if that’s true.

nope like UEFA said no action necessary. We really need to get smart next season if he had gone down holding his face and crying in pain he could have got the c**t sent off.
      DanMann

• 5,634 posts | 866 
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2018 08:26:45 pm
      Time to get a replay of that final.

Salah forced out of the game.
      Karius concussed.

All by Ramos. All gave Real Madrid goals.  :mad:

edit: just seen this...  :D https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-call-rematch-champions-12646896
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2018 08:26:55 pm
      We should be champions but we're not  :'(
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2018 08:28:16 pm
      Ramos the evil genius
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2018 08:29:25 pm
      nope like UEFA said no action necessary. We really need to get smart next season if he had gone down holding his face and crying in pain he could have got the c**t sent off.

Exactly. If you cant beat them join them.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2018 08:30:23 pm

Utter joke really. Ref did F**k all for both incidents and Ramos gets away Scott free. UEFA really are spineless cu*ts...

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2018 08:33:52 pm
      Migs is gone, I don't think there's any doubt about that. It's a tough question to answer.

I honestly don't really know what I'd prefer. How many clubs have two goalkeepers at the same level, competing for one spot? That rarely works out well. The last situation I can remember that being the case, is Cech and Courtois, though Cech was already a bit older then.

If we bring in genuine competition, let's say Alisson, you need to give that goalkeeper the time to adapt to the system and the league and there will be mistakes made during that time. What do we do then? Change goalkeepers straight away again because the fans get on his back (Karius situation last season)? Or do we give him the time and space to make mistakes? Can we afford spending that kind of money on a goalkeeper that will make mistakes? Wouldn't we be better off sticking with what we've got in that situation?

I think the best option is bringing in an experienced goalkeeper, used to playing in a system relatively similar to ours and who can step in for the rest of the season if Karius can't rediscover his end of season form. The only issue is that I can't think of any experienced goalkeeper that fits that profile  :-\.

Reina?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2018 08:37:18 pm

Would be sick if we got him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2018 08:41:34 pm
      Time to get a replay of that final.

Salah forced out of the game.
      Karius concussed.

All by Ramos. All gave Real Madrid goals.  :mad:

edit: just seen this...  :D https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-call-rematch-champions-12646896

Replay the final?

Get a grip.

Embarrassing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,959 posts | 3943 
      Reply #16: Jun 04, 2018 08:46:33 pm

The fuckers been carrying on like this for years and the officials and EUFA accept it as an element of continental football, English teams do not have the same "get out of jail free" card and are punished for the fact.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #17: Jun 04, 2018 09:16:35 pm
      This concussion thing is huge for me. I've said somewhere else that his behaviour after the first mistake was a bit odd for a good few minutes. The actual mistake was madness, throwing it across goal and across Benzema while Robbo is the easiest option. All very mad no matter what you think of his ability.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Jun 04, 2018 09:20:54 pm
      Interesting from David Preece on his experience of concussion whilst a goalie:

https://twitter.com/davidpreece12/status/1003714631926468608?s=19
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Jun 04, 2018 09:25:07 pm

Seriously though, the lad did look like he took a heavy hit off Ramos.  If he had been clever like nearly every other team in the world is he would have gone down and made a proper complaint about it.  Too eager to get on with it.

Can't deny that the original mistake happened extremely shortly after all of that.

Happy to defer to medical experts or people who have actually suffered concussion as to what it's all about.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #20: Jun 04, 2018 09:45:24 pm

Seriously though, the lad did look like he took a heavy hit off Ramos.  If he had been clever like nearly every other team in the world is he would have gone down and made a proper complaint about it.  Too eager to get on with it.

Can't deny that the original mistake happened extremely shortly after all of that.

Happy to defer to medical experts or people who have actually suffered concussion as to what it's all about.

I suffered 3 concussions in twelve months. Several symptoms, memory loss, noticeable delay in reactions, amongst others, the scariest, for me, was I had some mild aphasia one of the times, grasping for words and names that just wouldn't come, even though I knew I knew them. Some of the symptoms lasted months, the memory loss never resolved itself, even to this day, it's like a gap that just exists, a white flash, can't think of another way to describe it, is all that I recall for the loss of time.
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #21: Jun 04, 2018 09:53:49 pm
      Sounds like FSG using this as an excuse, so everything is ok now Karius was concussed no need for a new keeper it won't happen again honest   :f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Jun 04, 2018 09:59:32 pm
      Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius sustained a concussion during last month's Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid, doctors have said.

Karius, 24, was at fault for the Spanish side's first and third goals in their 3-1 victory in Kiev on 26 May.

The German had tests at hospitals in Boston in the United States, and medics said the impact of the concussion was "likely" to have been felt immediately.

Dr Ross Zafonte said it was "possible" the injury "would affect performance".

He came to his conclusion after reviewing "game film", a "physical examination" and "objective metrics".

Dr Zafonte said Karius had suffered from "visual spatial dysfunction", a process which hampers a person's ability to process visual information about where objects are in space.

He said it was "likely" that would have occurred immediately after the event that caused the concussion.

Karius collided with Real defender Sergio Ramos early in the second half of the final - when the score was goalless - although doctors have not pinpointed the moment he was concussed.

Minutes after that collision, Karius threw the ball against Real striker Karim Benzema, and it rolled home to give the Spaniards the lead.

Liverpool equalised through Sadio Mane, but Gareth Bale scored a stunning overhead kick then netted Real's third when Karius let a shot from long range slip through his hands.

In the aftermath of the game, Karius received death threats, prompting a police investigation, and told fans he was "infinitely sorry".

After being assessed at Massachusetts General Hospital and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, he is said to have shown "significant and steady improvement since the concussive event".

"We expect him to make a full recovery based on the results of the examination," added Dr Zafonte.

Karius, who joined Liverpool for £4.75m from Mainz in 2016, was reportedly on holiday in the US when he was tested.

(BBC)

Quick Reply