Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69754 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri
      Reply #115: Jun 09, 2018 09:06:38 pm
      Could we get someone better for 12M?  Probably not....  In fact, I'd imagine a player of Shaqiri's quality would cost 25M+ if not for the relegation clause. 

He checks enough boxes to justify a 12M transfer in my opinion. 

That's more than a 100% return on investment! What are we waiting for? Football aside, grab that bargain first and we can discuss the rest later! Even if we write him off, it's only 12m! Lower than Mario Balotelli.

Place him as a squad player or loan him to Rangers, thereafter flip him for 25m+ in the next summer window. What a sweet deal!
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #116: Jun 10, 2018 06:11:17 am
      That's more than a 100% return on investment! What are we waiting for? Football aside, grab that bargain first and we can discuss the rest later! Even if we write him off, it's only 12m! Lower than Mario Balotelli.

Place him as a squad player or loan him to Rangers, thereafter flip him for 25m+ in the next summer window. What a sweet deal!

Seriously, who the f**k looks at our transfer business likes this and gets excited about resale value.

Jesus f**king Christ, ā€˜football asideā€™, what a post.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #117: Jun 10, 2018 10:50:30 am
      Not for me. Not good enough even as backup.

Overweight, unfit, slow and has a terrible attitude.  He's not actually that good of a footballer either.

I know in recent years we've been down to the bare bones and had to place kids on the bench, but I'd much prefer to go with Wilson as cover over Shaqiri next season. A young talented kid with hunger and the willingness to prove himself over a drama queen who thinks he's a lot better than what he actually is.

Keep the 13m and put it towards a keeper or somebody to partner VVD.

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #118: Jun 10, 2018 06:57:33 pm
      Seriously, who the f**k looks at our transfer business likes this and gets excited about resale value.

Jesus f**king Christ, ā€˜football asideā€™, what a post.

Seriously, Mike Gordon and co. They bought Mario for Ā£16m hoping to sell at Ā£40m. Stuffed the player into BR's squad. But ended up writing the player off.

More evidence. JWH's background is a commodities trader and a fund manager. Mike Gordon's background is a fund manager. All these player trading ties in with the buying potential transfer policy in the earlier years. Put these information together and it will make quite a bit of sense.

Fund managers or traders get a thrill of flipping investments for a profit. They like a good arbitrage. It's DNA. Some things don't change. Seriously if it's them, I'm not surprised.

There's free money in a price arbitrage on the table for Shaqiri. I'm sure they can smell the deal.

I'm sure your mind is more wired to football. But if you know your neighbours house is selling for Ā£1.2m and you know it could go for Ā£2.5m a year later, I'm sure you'd get into the deal if you could afford it. Can you see the deal?
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2018 07:05:11 pm by ruthcity »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #119: Jun 11, 2018 12:02:15 am
      Have a feeling Shaqiri will be signed in the next few days for around  Ā£15 million.

Will be a very useful impact sub in my opinion.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #120: Jun 11, 2018 03:44:14 am
      Have a feeling Shaqiri will be signed in the next few days for around  Ā£15 million.

Will be a very useful impact sub in my opinion.

Anyone saying he is a bad squad player and they would rather have Solanke or Wilson in over him is probably smoking meth. The fact that Klopp wants should already make you re-examine your thoughts on him. The attacking genius track record with us is pretty damn good. But also, I wanna see what you see when you watch Shaqiri play and go ā€œmeh, I rather have Domā€. I gotta hear how u are processing this. I bet itā€™s a hoot.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #121: Jun 11, 2018 05:53:59 am
      Seriously, Mike Gordon and co. They bought Mario for Ā£16m hoping to sell at Ā£40m. Stuffed the player into BR's squad. But ended up writing the player off.

More evidence. JWH's background is a commodities trader and a fund manager. Mike Gordon's background is a fund manager. All these player trading ties in with the buying potential transfer policy in the earlier years. Put these information together and it will make quite a bit of sense.

Fund managers or traders get a thrill of flipping investments for a profit. They like a good arbitrage. It's DNA. Some things don't change. Seriously if it's them, I'm not surprised.

There's free money in a price arbitrage on the table for Shaqiri. I'm sure they can smell the deal.

I'm sure your mind is more wired to football. But if you know your neighbours house is selling for Ā£1.2m and you know it could go for Ā£2.5m a year later, I'm sure you'd get into the deal if you could afford it. Can you see the deal?

Do you ever get the sense of things flying over your head?

You arenā€™t an owner of the club, so why one earth you would get so excited about selling a player on down the line is beyond me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #122: Jun 11, 2018 08:10:54 am
      Anyone saying he is a bad squad player and they would rather have Solanke or Wilson in over him is probably smoking meth. The fact that Klopp wants should already make you re-examine your thoughts on him. The attacking genius track record with us is pretty damn good. But also, I wanna see what you see when you watch Shaqiri play and go ā€œmeh, I rather have Domā€. I gotta hear how u are processing this. I bet itā€™s a hoot.

I'm not sure anyone is say they'd rather have Dom

I think they're saying surely there's better than both if we want to really compete?

It's like having a bloke in front of you saying

Look mate I'm gonna smash you in the face 5 times..

Ah really? Why? Can't you just Not?

No... look the best I can do is kick you in the bollocks
      Deal?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #123: Jun 11, 2018 08:15:57 am

I think they're saying surely there's better than both if we want to really compete?

Deal?

Better than Shaquiri for Ā£15million, who would that be? He is a very good player who has been playing for a crap team the last few years, given the right motivation and good players around him I think he could be very useful for us.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #124: Jun 11, 2018 08:21:04 am

Deal?

I'm not understanding your metaphor.
      Kopite78
      Reply #125: Jun 11, 2018 08:31:15 am
      I'm not understanding your metaphor.

That's because you're a moron 👋
      Kopite78
      Reply #126: Jun 11, 2018 09:48:09 am
      Better than Shaquiri for Ā£15million, who would that be? He is a very good player who has been playing for a crap team the last few years, given the right motivation and good players around him I think he could be very useful for us.

Honestly? I don't really look and what someone costs to if I see them as a good player or a good fit or not.

For me currently this seems like one of our make do signings, we've had so many down the years and they turn out the majority of the time to be what we feel originally, tosh who get moved on eventually or we end up pushing them on loan still paying 50% of the wages

Now honestly Mate, I want nothing more than to be proven wrong and if he signs then I hope he is a resounding success, I also trust the manager but we can have feelings on signings can't we?
      I'd rather we sign someone on pure ability and fit than as a deal seemingly to good to turn down.
      To me having watched him he doesn't look a perfect fit to the manager's system and I'm still sceptical that this is nothing more than 2 add 2 equalling 12.

Like I say money doesn't concern me whatsoever, either that be 50m or 1m
      I just want players who I think fit. And I just don't think this lad does for 12m or whatever.. it could be 12p and I still deep down would want someone else truth be told.

Like I said if he comes in I want him to be a success and for me to be wrong. But I'm also very dubious that the manager would actually want him
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #127: Jun 11, 2018 09:56:36 am
      Honestly? I don't really look and what someone costs to if I see them as a good player or a good fit or not.

For me currently this seems like one of our make do signings, we've had so many down the years and they turn out the majority of the time to be what we feel originally, tosh who get moved on eventually or we end up pushing them on loan still paying 50% of the wages

Now honestly Mate, I want nothing more than to be proven wrong and if he signs then I hope he is a resounding success, I also trust the manager but we can have feelings on signings can't we?
      I'd rather we sign someone on pure ability and fit than as a deal seemingly to good to turn down.
      To me having watched him he doesn't look a perfect fit to the manager's system and I'm still sceptical that this is nothing more than 2 add 2 equalling 12.

Like I say money doesn't concern me whatsoever, either that be 50m or 1m
      I just want players who I think fit. And I just don't think this lad does for 12m or whatever.. it could be 12p and I still deep down would want someone else truth be told.

Like I said if he comes in I want him to be a success and for me to be wrong. But I'm also very dubious that the manager would actually want him

I wouldn't get too hung up on this one mate he will purely be a squad player I still expect us to sign a top class attacking midfielder.

Put it like this Shaqiri would have been almost a marquee Summer signing for us a few short years back now we're looking to sign him as a squad player for the bench who will be very useful to bring on late in games with his pace.

For the money involved it's a low risk smart signing.
      Kopite78
      Reply #128: Jun 11, 2018 10:04:08 am
      I wouldn't get too hung up on this one mate he will purely be a squad player I still expect us to sign a top class attacking midfielder.

Put it like this Shaqiri would have been almost a marquee Summer signing for us a few short years back now we're looking to sign him as a squad player for the bench who will be very useful to bring on late in games with his pace.

For the money involved it's a low risk smart signing.

I'm actually not sure if this is not agent based than true interest truth be told. He needs a move, his agent drops in the press about his release clause and our interest.

If we were interested then it's a simple straightforward deal to do.. it hasn't been so I do wonder

If it is true though, you say low risk, what if he bombs (ad I'd expect) but he's on a 5 year 100k Deal? That wouldn't be easy to shift from the wage bill and he'd be one stuck on that  wage bill

Look at so many recently we have struggle to shift after this type of Deal, some still here, some we took a massive hit on to shift

I don't think he will be a success therefore not smart
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #129: Jun 11, 2018 10:24:57 am
      Shaqiri brought in as alternative to fekir = no Shaqiri brought in as well as fekir (or comparable fekir alternative = yes. I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the world but as a player likely to be happy to sit on the bench and try and break into first team, with clear (all be it thus far unmet) potential, who is going to cost us 12mil and allow us to invest further in other areas of the pitch, I think its a bit of a no brainer. As an impact sub when chasing a game as compared to solanke or ings he would be head and shoulders above
      Kopite78
      Reply #130: Jun 11, 2018 10:28:32 am
      Shaqiri brought in as alternative to fekir = no Shaqiri brought in as well as fekir (or comparable fekir alternative = yes. I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the world but as a player likely to be happy to sit on the bench and try and break into first team, with clear (all be it thus far unmet) potential, who is going to cost us 12mil and allow us to invest further in other areas of the pitch, I think its a bit of a no brainer. As an impact sub when chasing a game as compared to solanke or ings he would be head and shoulders above

What gives you the impression he would be happy to come off the bench? He doesn't strike me as that type to me
      These players are full of ego and he strikes me as one of those especially

Again like I said I'm just not wanting to make do, and this strikes me as a making do type signing

But also as I said I actually don't think this will happen either because he just doesn't strike me as a Klopp type
      I just think it his agent led to get him a move
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #131: Jun 11, 2018 10:46:11 am
      What gives you the impression he would be happy to come off the bench? He doesn't strike me as that type to me
      These players are full of ego and he strikes me as one of those especially

Again like I said I'm just not wanting to make do, and this strikes me as a making do type signing

But also as I said I actually don't think this will happen either because he just doesn't strike me as a Klopp type
      I just think it his agent led to get him a move

Klopp loves quick skilful hardworking players above all. Shaqiri is definitely quick and skilful but hardworking is up for debate. I'm sure Klopp could improve him on that front. So for the most part he is a Klopp style player.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #132: Jun 11, 2018 10:55:30 am
      Don't think he's an alternative for Fekir but if we've gone from trying to sign a Dembele/Pulisic type for out wide to Shaqiri then that's a worry.

People saying he's a very good player but I've not really seen it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #133: Jun 11, 2018 12:22:30 pm
      He will cost us 12 MIL. Thatā€™s a drop in the bucket. Buy him and let him be a squad player. Let him come in in the 80th minute each game and try and score a worldie from outside the box. Hell, let him sell programs at the front gate. 12-15 mil in this day and age for a proven premier league player is dirt cheap.

Remember how a lot of you kept saying what we payed for AOC was way too much and he would suck? Well first off, obviously he ended up being a big difference for us in the MF. And 2, this is a fraction of that for a similar guy (lots a potential yet to be realized).
      Kopite78
      Reply #134: Jun 11, 2018 12:35:47 pm
      He will cost us 12 MIL. Thatā€™s a drop in the bucket. Buy him and let him be a squad player. Let him come in in the 80th minute each game and try and score a worldie from outside the box. Hell, let him sell programs at the front gate. 12-15 mil in this day and age for a proven premier league player is dirt cheap.

Remember how a lot of you kept saying what we payed for AOC was way too much and he would suck? Well first off, obviously he ended up being a big difference for us in the MF. And 2, this is a fraction of that for a similar guy (lots a potential yet to be realized).

I personally felt Chamberlain would be a very good signing..  again the price didn't matter

This I don't and it's nothing again to do with price

The two aren't related for me personally
      I didn't look at Chamberlain and think, good player, I can see what JĆ¼rgen wants him for but it's a bit pricey

And with Shiqiri I'm not thinking, Jesus he doesn't look right to me but know what it's cheap so...
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018 01:02:37 pm by Kopite78 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #135: Jun 11, 2018 12:54:04 pm
      I'm actually not sure if this is not agent based than true interest truth be told. He needs a move, his agent drops in the press about his release clause and our interest.

If we were interested then it's a simple straightforward deal to do.. it hasn't been so I do wonder

If it is true though, you say low risk, what if he bombs (ad I'd expect) but he's on a 5 year 100k Deal? That wouldn't be easy to shift from the wage bill and he'd be one stuck on that  wage bill

Look at so many recently we have struggle to shift after this type of Deal, some still here, some we took a massive hit on to shift

I don't think he will be a success therefore not smart

I also am not convinced we are seriously interested. I think one distinctive of JĆ¼rgen's transfer business is that he doesn't let agents drive his thinking. It's pretty obvious a lot of other managers, even some from big clubs, do. I think this is often tied to some of the seedy financial underbelly of the football world (see Allardyce, Sam, and in years gone by, Graham, George).

Now, as a backup to our front three - he might be alright, but he's probably angling more for a deal with the likes of West Ham or Everton.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #136: Jun 11, 2018 12:58:25 pm

It's been mentioned before, but would this would be hugely discouraging to the likes of Wilson, Brewster, Woodburn or Ojo. Now if you buy a player more the caliber of Pulisic to establish a real high-quality rotation of four among the front three, that would be worthwhile. Or even bringing a veteran for cover with a better record in than Shaqiri, that would be OK. But the more I think of it, this doesn't seem very likely.

And again, it is totally unrelated to Fekir and our need at attacking midfield.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #137: Jun 11, 2018 01:02:44 pm
      It's been mentioned before, but would this would be hugely discouraging to the likes of Wilson, Brewster, Woodburn or Ojo. Now if you buy a player more the caliber of Pulisic to establish a real high-quality rotation of four among the front three, that would be worthwhile. Or even bringing a veteran for cover with a better record in than Shaqiri, that would be OK. But the more I think of it, this doesn't seem very likely.

And again, it is totally unrelated to Fekir and our need at attacking midfield.

Yeah, him and Fekir are unrelated IMO

Quick Reply