Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69782 times
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri
      Reply #69: Jun 07, 2018 01:27:00 pm
      12m for a 26 year old good player?  I would have in as back up.

After all his hips don't lie   ;D ;D
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,809 posts | 1402 
      Reply #70: Jun 07, 2018 01:55:01 pm
      Really so you are fine that we continue with a keeper who's psyche and confidence is shattered or another one who we all know is sh*t? For you strength is depth is more important??
      Good God I'm so glad some of you numpties are not in charge of anything important.

Prior to the concussion diagnosis i was unsure whether Karius could mentally rebound from this, and mentioned we would likely need a new #1, but now i think he can fully recover mentally from it and come back strong. If that is the case then paying 60-80M for a new #1 is wasteful when our #1 had 10 clean sheets in 19 league games and only gave up 14 goals contributing to our defense being one of the best, if not the best, in the 2nd half of the season. Migs is a different story as he wouldn't stick around to be #2 so he'll need replacement no matter what.

it really is not that hard to see, just pay a little attention and separate yourself from the little anti-Karius shtick you're running and you'd also realize he performed at a very high level and we don't have unlimited resources and that 60-80M would be better served in other areas.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #71: Jun 07, 2018 02:31:56 pm
      I wouldn’t be surprised if this is smokescreen to try and force Lyon’s hand in the Fekir deal. I just can’t see this dude being a Klopp signing.
      Kopite78
      Reply #72: Jun 07, 2018 02:36:59 pm
      I wouldn’t be surprised if this is smokescreen to try and force Lyon’s hand in the Fekir deal. I just can’t see this dude being a Klopp signing.

Don't buy that

If you were going to do that you'd drop a Pulisic name into it, someone of similar level and price range than a player two or three levels below with a 12m buy out clause

It's like trying to drive a deal on a top sports car and telling them F**k you take it or leave it cause if its a no then I've got this battered old push bike over here that I will get
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #73: Jun 07, 2018 02:40:03 pm
      Good backup/rotation player for Salah and Mane.

for 12m? sign him up
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #74: Jun 07, 2018 02:41:46 pm

Fekir and Shaqiri don't play in the same position. Fekir will be brought as a no.10 just like Coutinho. Shaqiri is a winger, and will deputize for Salah and Mane.

It's either Shaqiri or Simon. I prefer Shaqiri as Simon is unproven. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #75: Jun 07, 2018 02:43:16 pm
      Fekir and Shaqiri don't play in the same position. Fekir will be brought as a no.10 just like Coutinho. Shaqiri is a winger, and will deputize for Salah and Mane.

It's either Shaqiri or Simon. I prefer Shaqiri as Simon is unproven.

If it's either Shaqiri or Simon I'd prefer we show some F***ing ambition
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #76: Jun 07, 2018 02:57:21 pm
      If it's either Shaqiri or Simon I'd prefer we show some f**king ambition

For a backup player?
      Kopite78
      Reply #77: Jun 07, 2018 03:00:22 pm

Shouldn't be any such thing if we want to win things
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #78: Jun 07, 2018 03:03:35 pm
      Shouldn't be any such thing if we want to win things

We will win things if we spend wisely and buy players who are good enough.

Shaqiri is a good player, and if Klopp thinks he's good enough and would provide us a good option off the bench then so be it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #79: Jun 07, 2018 03:05:22 pm
      We will win things if we spend wisely and buy players who are good enough.

Shaqiri is a good player, and if Klopp thinks he's good enough and would provide us a good option off the bench then so be it.

Not just going to be a case of off the bench

We need quality options not make do
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #80: Jun 07, 2018 03:09:34 pm

We need first team players first and foremost. That's why we want to bring in Fekir and probably Alisson.

I still think Shaqiri is a good player and not as bad as people think he is. Although I prefer Pulisic, but Dortmund won't sell.
      Kopite78
      Reply #81: Jun 07, 2018 03:13:34 pm
      We need first team players first and foremost. That's why we want to bring in Fekir and probably Alisson.

I still think Shaqiri is a good player and not as bad as people think he is. Although I prefer Pulisic, but Dortmund won't sell.

Dortmund would sell but we don't have the funds for them all

I don't think shaqiri is that bad truth be told..  He doesn't have the right attitude though in my opinion

The Swiss Balotelli
      Both have everything it takes to be world beaters other than between the ears
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #82: Jun 07, 2018 03:50:00 pm
      Prior to the concussion diagnosis i was unsure whether Karius could mentally rebound from this, and mentioned we would likely need a new #1, but now i think he can fully recover mentally from it and come back strong. If that is the case then paying 60-80M for a new #1 is wasteful when our #1 had 10 clean sheets in 19 league games and only gave up 14 goals contributing to our defense being one of the best, if not the best, in the 2nd half of the season. Migs is a different story as he wouldn't stick around to be #2 so he'll need replacement no matter what.

it really is not that hard to see, just pay a little attention and separate yourself from the little anti-Karius shtick you're running and you'd also realize he performed at a very high level and we don't have unlimited resources and that 60-80M would be better served in other areas.

Ah so you are making 2 assumptions which I don't agree with, firstly that Karius will bounce back, I think no way, especially when opposition fans start taking the piss, which you know they will. Secondly you assume that the keepers that we are linked with Allison and Oblak are not a big improvement, I do and I think the acquisition of either will give us probably an extra 5-6 points at least per season.
      With Keita, Fabinho and hopefully Fekir coming in our forward and midfield options are infinitely strengthened so the next area to look at is GK and then an extra CB if there money to spare.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #83: Jun 07, 2018 03:53:42 pm

like Keita and Fabinho you mean! Not every player in a squad can be a superstar, so there's nothing wrong in getting in a proven international who knows the league to cover for our inevitable injuries.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #84: Jun 07, 2018 04:12:21 pm
      Don't buy that

If you were going to do that you'd drop a Pulisic name into it, someone of similar level and price range than a player two or three levels below with a 12m buy out clause

It's like trying to drive a deal on a top sports car and telling them F**k you take it or leave it cause if its a no then I've got this battered old push bike over here that I will get

Agree.

It's no smokescreen.

Whether it's genuine interest or not time will tell.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,809 posts | 1402 
      Reply #85: Jun 07, 2018 05:04:22 pm
      Ah so you are making 2 assumptions which I don't agree with, (firstly) that Karius will bounce back, I think no way, especially when opposition fans start taking the piss, which you know they will. (Secondly) you assume that the keepers that we are linked with Allison and Oblak are not a big improvement, I do and I think the acquisition of either will give us probably an extra 5-6 points at least per season.
      With Keita, Fabinho and hopefully Fekir coming in our forward and midfield options are infinitely strengthened so the next area to look at is GK and then an extra CB if there money to spare.

1. I understand there is risk in how Karius recovers from the CL final because the only way to find out is when he's on the field. however, let's not pretend his mental recovery is the reason you want a new #1. You have slagged him off long before that

2. Oblak and Allison could very well be improvements (as i've said, not totally sold on Allison being an improvement beyond what appears to be better distribution) but i don't think whatever improvement you would get out of them is worth the 60-80M+ you'd have to pay.

As much as it hurts you to acknowledge it, Karius performed at a very high level since he took over with the 10 clean sheets and 14 gls allowed in 19 games. Spin it any way you want, but those stats over a full season would result in us having a top-3 defense in the league and goalie with most clean sheets. Someone mentioned here we had the best defense in the 2nd half of the season (i cannot confirm or deny the stat) and that is in part because of Karius, so why would i want to break that up when we have other areas of need?

Keita, Fabinho and Fekir are all great additions, or would be in Fekir's case, but that still leaves me with Ings coming in for Salah/Mane/Firmino when one goes down or needs rest. I much rather take that 60-80M and throw it at Lemar / Pulisic / Werner so that when one of the big 3 comes off the field there is not a huge drop off.

Resources are not unlimited (you're looking at well over 200M for all of Keita/Fabinho/Fekir/Lemar or Pulisic), and i think there is a bigger margin of improvement and future potential from Ings -> Lemar / Pulisic than Karius -> Oblak / Allison

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018 05:12:01 pm by CT_LFC »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #86: Jun 07, 2018 05:23:16 pm
      Don't buy that

It's like trying to drive a deal on a top sports car and telling them f**k you take it or leave it cause if its a no then I've got this battered old push bike over here that I will get
      Well, you’d do that if you weren’t FSG.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #87: Jun 07, 2018 06:24:11 pm
      Before he went to Stoke i thought he was alright with bags of potential. Going to Stoke was really bad for him. Reckon he's got talent. His fitness would vastly improve with us and Klopp would work on his mentality.

I liked the look of him before he went to Stoke. Think he's had a yard dog mentality drummed into him there. Different coaching and better fitness and he could be really good for the potential money we're paying. But we'll see.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,322 posts | 279 
      Reply #88: Jun 07, 2018 06:27:32 pm
      The last two seasons squad depth has cost us,we were top of the PL on New Years Day 2017 before it went tits up and this season not only did we have no quality to bring on after Salah was taken out in Kiev we nearly missed out on fourth with basically having no other options than Mane, Firmino and Salah and having to play them in every game near enough. Ings and Solanke are triers but can't be classed as quality back up, Shaqiri would be.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #89: Jun 07, 2018 06:42:14 pm
      Just waiting for somebody to pretend to be an ITK and say their gran is best mates with Klopps gran and Shaqiri is a replacement for Coutinho.

Jokes aside, Shaqiri is 26 and did not meet his potential at Stoke, I think he could actually be a good signing.
      If the 12m release clause is real, then that's an utter bargain in today's market and a massive upgrade from current bench.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018 06:46:47 pm by Ribapuru »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #90: Jun 07, 2018 06:51:06 pm
      Jokes aside, Shaqiri is 26 and did not meet his potential at Stoke, I think he could actually be a good signing.
      If the 12m release clause is real, then that's an utter bargain in today's market and a massive upgrade from current bench.

Been reading Stoke forums, and he was supposedly their best player last season, but inconsistent. Some even suggest he is/was the most gifted player to play for them  :o They are also pretty pissed he is leaving for 12m and questioned if any of the big 6 would be interested in him if he they could ask for 25m+.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #91: Jun 07, 2018 07:37:13 pm
      Been reading Stoke forums, and he was supposedly their best player last season, but inconsistent. Some even suggest he is/was the most gifted player to play for them  :o They are also pretty pissed he is leaving for 12m and questioned if any of the big 6 would be interested in him if he they could ask for 25m+.

To be fair, they are probably right, but then when players like Delap, Fletcher, Allen, Walters etc don’t exactly provide much competition when it comes to being a gifted player.

Quick Reply